搜索
教育王國 討論區 小一選校 女拔面試, 2分30秒, 多謝$40/分鐘
發新帖
樓主: mycarrie
go

女拔面試, 2分30秒, 多謝$40/分鐘 [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 08-10-15 00:05 |顯示全部帖子
But Mrs Dai is infamous for her "fairness" in choosing girls for entry into the school.

I know of cases where the parents are doctors, Mother is old girl, but the daughter STILL did not get in.

A girl from a simple family, mother housewife, father in banking, no relationship.... from not St. Cat, Kentville, or CCKG. got chosen!

Don't read too much into the factors affecting the DGJS interview, just ask our daughter to TRY HER BEST, and we as parents, try OUR best !!! (Not breast) ....hahahaha.

原帖由 aniwong 於 08-10-14 23:48 發表
very good comments! Perfect!

2#
發表於 08-10-17 01:41 |顯示全部帖子
I don't see what's the problem with DGJS' interview.

QUALITY not quantity. Just because the interview goes on for 1.5 hours, or so... doesn't mean they make better judgements.

I think Mrs. Dai knows what kind of girls she likes for the school. Afterall, she's been pretty good in the past years since she's become the principal. The results, and grades of the students of DGJS haven't dropped.

In fact, that is what the application form, report card, portfolio is for. The PRE-SCREEN the applicants. The interview is to "confirm" what she thinks, and might consider. That's why it's essential that we present the best in the 15 minutes that we get/our daughter gets.

We had the interview already, I did get the sense, the way parents dress, and the girl dressed and manners, and etiquette definitely mattered.

We were grouped with a bunch of others, many many came unprepared in my opinion.... wearing jeans, carrying big knapsacks, ringing mobiles, wearing slipper like sandals, the girls some had messy hair, didn't smile, with our pair.... the other pair of parents didn't even bother getting up to greet and say hi to Mrs. Dai.

If DGJS is your target school like me, you wouldn't care HOW they pick their students, you just do your best and go with the flow. I don't care how they do it, I just hope my daughter gets picked.... it's not like my daughter was singled out by Mrs. Dai with some special test or something? while others had something else... if EVERYONE gets the same treatment during this process... don't see how anyone says it's UNFAIR.

原帖由 philosopher 於 08-10-16 22:19 發表
Take the example of a school which goes through a one-hour interview process with students grouped in different groups:-  by definition the different groups are met by different teachers, some perhaps ...

3#
發表於 08-10-17 13:01 |顯示全部帖子
WELL said E.D.

I tell you a good comparison. I was at St Stephen's interview last weekend. For some strange reason, (not intended by the school )... my daughter ended up sitting in a GROUP for over 35 minutes. The first part of the "interview" which I don't think is really the interview, they have two teachers in a classroom, puts your child in a group of 6 .... ask them to read, draw or colour. The teacher then goes to each child and talks to them, make contact with each one.... some parents think that's starting to "calculate" points, but I personally don't think it is.

But after 20 minutes, the teacher in that room started looking impatient as NO ONE came to get this group of kids to the next stage of the interview. The teachers went out 3 times at least... to check what's going on. I didn't say anything, but my daughter was getting really bored as she did EVERYTHING that was on that table already..... and STILL waiting.

Then finally afte 35 minutes, they took this group upstairs, and then had the "real" interview.

So, judging from this, many parents say St Stephen's interview was almost 1 hour long.... however, little do you know, the first part was just "wasting" my daughter and our time.

In actual fact, the "real"interview was no more than 10 minutes either. They watched a video, then asked my daughter some questions, and in a group some questions.

How's THAT for fairness ?

In most cases, if you really look at it, the interviews PER person is no more than 5 minutes... even Good Hope, (can't include the drawing picture) ACTUAL questioning.... is no more than 5 minutes.

Same with ALL the other schools I have interviewed..... don't count the time when your child disappear from you..... as the actual interview time. The actual questionning... is really what DGJS ' interview is based on.

As your everything else is and should have been clearly presented by the application form, report card, and portfolio.

原帖由 E.D. 於 08-10-17 10:29 發表
To all parent who is shooting DGJS (too many people say DGS, DGS is the secondary school).....What do you want to prove???

Okay. let's say DGJS has no interview or a 1 hour interview is implemented f ...

4#
發表於 08-10-18 01:52 |顯示全部帖子
I can tell you the "observation" session in a group setting is also for "SHOW" in most school interviews.

But I guess it makes parents like you "feel better".

NOBODY is marking ANYBODY in a group... unless your child is crying or not willing to participate, otherwise, the teachers don't know who is who. Trust me, a teacher told me so.

It's just so parents like you feel your child REALLY got a fair "interview."

原帖由 wisekid2007 於 08-10-17 16:00 發表
Of course all "face to face interview" of the kid (i.e. asking questions what you referred) will only last for a few minutes.  

However, a real assessment will include a lot of other things rather th ...

5#
發表於 08-10-18 23:14 |顯示全部帖子
HOW am I not being logical ??

"In fact, I can quote a number of examples if you wish."

OK, PLEASE do...I would be VERY interested which school's interview format you have experienced that you think it TOTALLY fair and square.

I went to TWO interviews today with our daughter. And honestly, these interviews took over 1.5 hours. My daughter came out of one of them and said, Mommy, I have NO idea what we were doing in there, just draw anything I want, and then we watched a cartoon, and then they asked me questions in Putonghua (when I specifically requested the interview in English)... guess the school still wants to try to see whether my daughter knows ANY putonghua.

Not ONCE was my daughter interviewed one on one. WORSE of all, it's a very well known hard to get in school... the principal of the school never even showed her face ONCE. Got all these teachers to break us into small groups, and just let us ASK questions. Ridiculous.

The other school was  much better, 1.5 hours, my daughter came out telling me she was doing activities in groups, a teacher talks to her while she is doing the workbook, and folding papers... then one by one had interview questions in English and Cantonese.... 1.5 hours. And she said she watched a cartoon as well. But no questions asked about the cartoon.

I am curious... so you don't have a girl applying to DGJS  ... so why in the world are you attacking Mrs Dai and DGJS ?! ??

I recommend that you save your time, and energy on something that is relevant to you.

If you didn't try the interview in person, I don't think you have ANY rights or judgement to say anything negative about the interview.

原帖由 wisekid2007 於 08-10-18 18:28 發表
Please think carefully and logically before rebutting my postings

Even though ***the "observation" session in a group setting is also for "SHOW" in most school interviews. *** is true as you s ...

[ 本帖最後由 Pianokc 於 08-10-18 23:19 編輯 ]

6#
發表於 08-10-19 11:41 |顯示全部帖子
Wisekid2007,

First of all, you have a real attitude problem. You seem to think YOU are the only one who is logical, and everything YOU say is sensible and the rest of us are "stupid" and "illogical".

I can only say, I AM SO GLAD there are parents like you, if you are not being hypocritcal, (meaning you are not applying to DGJS).... because I don't think I can stand having to deal with parents like you for the next 6 years.

Secondly, I didn't follow all your posts, but I can tell you CIS and GSIS, I don't care what format the interview is, I can tell you 101% for sure, if you have the money, and donate enough, and a debenture that you managed to get your hands on, your child will have a chance to get in. Your child wouldn't have to even SAY a word, and would be accepted. I know cases of these from doctors, and lawyers. A doctor I know, bought a 6 million dollar debenture for CIS, wants his son to get in. Of course, after a meeting with the admissions and principal..... "pretend" interview JUST for his son... he is accepted.

So please DO NOT compare international schools to that of traditional local schools like DGJS. You are comparing apples to oranges.

Thirdly, the ultimate point has been made over and over again. The point is WE are applying to a school. The school is CHOOSING us. This is the RULE. You are NOT happy to play the rules of this game, DON'T PLAY THEN !!!!

It's like saying playing tennis, the lines are not WIDE enough for you, or long enough for you...you are like a child stomping on the floor throwing a tantrum saying "it's NOT FAIR, it's NOT FAIR !!! How can I hit the ball in that SMALL box !??!"

This is the RULE and format of the game, you don't like it, DON'T PLAY, but you have NO RIGHT to make such comments, judgement about a school and the principal. Absolutely NO RIGHT.

So, although this is public forum for anyone to voice out, Mrs. Dai unfortunately isn't here to defend her self, but if I was her, I wouldn't bother with illogical and unreasonable comments like yours anyways. I would ignore them.

So, yes , us parents who are trying to get our daughter into DGJS thank you, for staying away from this reputable school.

quote]原帖由 wisekid2007 於 08-10-19 09:04 發表
**HOW am I not being logical ?? **

So poor that you still don't understand why I said you are not logical.

Even if you can quote that some other schools' interview arrangement or process are not goo ... [/quote]

7#
發表於 08-10-19 12:11 |顯示全部帖子
Not every child gets a 2-3 minute interview. You don't know the real reason, and sometimes some parents THINK it's just 2-3 minutes, when it might have been 5 minutes..... don't know that.

Just like at a recent piano competition, a child went up to play a piece that is at least 5 minutes long.... he played 2 lines (about 15 seconds).... the adjudicator "ding" him down already. There was NO reason to do it.... but that is the way it was.

Some girls got interviewed 15 minutes in Mrs Dai's office..... what's the explanation there? because if she already screened and picked everyone...why spend all that time on anyone? 2 minutes would have been enough for the "show".

The child might have done something that automtically "failed" the standards of the interview. LIke for example, Mrs. Dai takes the report card, NOT TO READ... she took it, and then kept it on her desk for a few minutes, then she gave it back to my daughter, my daughter had to use TWO hands to receive it. If your daughter used one hand, then maybe that's marks deducted.

Then maybe your child forgot to say good afternoon, or good morning, or started climbing on her desk, or looking around up and down in the room, or playing with something on her desk... or not answering her questions.... etc. etc.

2 minutes- if I was Mrs. Dai, yes, I would be done with this child too.

原帖由 tiggger 於 08-10-19 11:42 發表
As some parents here have said so, no system on earth is perfect and private schools have the absolute right to select their students.  So Mrs Dai can carry out the interviews in 2 minutes or 2 hours; ...
‹ 上一主題|下一主題