Peter R. Mouton, PhD;
Michael E. Calhoun, PhD;
Katerina Semendeferi, PhD;
Clelia Ahrens-Barbeau, BS;
Melodie J. Hallet, MS;
Cynthia Carter Barnes, PhD;
Karen Pierce, PhD

[+] Author Affiliations

Author Affiliations: Department of Neuroscience, NIH-UCSD Autism Center of Excellence, School of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla (Drs Courchesne, Barnes, and Pierce and Mss Ahrens-Barbeau and Hallet) and Department of Anthropology (Dr Semendeferi), University of California San Diego, La Jolla; Department of Pathology & Cell Biology, University of South Florida School of Medicine, Alzheimer's Institute and Research Center, Tampa (Dr Mouton); and Sinq Systems Inc, Silver Spring, Maryland (Dr Calhoun).

Abstract

Context Autism often involves early brain overgrowth, including the prefrontal cortex (PFC). Although prefrontal abnormality has been theorized to underlie some autistic symptoms, the cellular defects that cause abnormal overgrowth remain unknown.

Objective To investigate whether early brain overgrowth in children with autism involves excess neuron numbers in the PFC.

Design, Setting, and Cases Postmortem prefrontal tissue from 7 autistic and 6 control male children aged 2 to 16 years was examined by expert anatomists who were blinded to diagnostic status. Number and size of neurons were quantified using stereological methods within the dorsolateral (DL-PFC) and mesial (M-PFC) subdivisions of the PFC. Cases were from the eastern and southeastern United States and died between 2000 and 2006.

Main Outcome Measures Mean neuron number and size in the DL-PFC and M-PFC were compared between autistic and control postmortem cases. Correlations of neuron number with deviation in brain weight from normative values for age were also performed.

Results Children with autism had 67% more neurons in the PFC (mean, 1.94 billion; 95% CI, 1.57-2.31) compared with control children (1.16 billion; 95% CI, 0.90-1.42; P = .002), including 79% more in DL-PFC (1.57 billion; 95% CI, 1.20-1.94 in autism cases vs 0.88 billion; 95% CI, 0.66-1.10 in controls; P = .003) and 29% more in M-PFC (0.36 billion; 95% CI, 0.33-0.40 in autism cases vs 0.28 billion; 95% CI, 0.23-0.34 in controls; P = .009). Brain weight in the autistic cases differed from normative mean weight for age by a mean of 17.6% (95% CI, 10.2%-25.0%; P = .001), while brains in controls differed by a mean of 0.2% (95% CI, −8.7% to 9.1%; P = .96). Plots of counts by weight showed autistic children had both greater total prefrontal neuron counts and brain weight for age than control children.

Conclusion In this small preliminary study, brain overgrowth in males with autism involved an abnormal excess number of neurons in the PFC.

KEYWORDS: AUTISTIC DISORDER,
BRAIN VOLUME,
CHILD DEVELOPMENT,
NEURONS,
PREFRONTAL CORTEX.

Related article:

Increased Neuron Number and Head Size in Autism

Janet E. Lainhart,
Nicholas Lange
JAMA. 2011;306(18):2031-2032.doi:10.1001/jama.2011.1633

http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/306/18/2001.short

3#
發表於 11-11-12 00:32 |只看該作者
Rapid Brain Growth May Indicate Autism

Finding May Lead to Earlier Diagnosis of the Condition

By Salynn Boyles
WebMD Health News

July 15, 2003 -- Small head size at birth followed by an abnormally rapid and excessive growth in head size during the first year of life may be an early-warning sign of autism, new research suggests. The findings could lead to earlier diagnosis of the condition, before symptoms occur, and the development of better ways to study it.

The findings also argue against the theory that certain childhood immunizations -- most notably the mumps, measles, and rubella (MMR) vaccine -- cause autism, say the University of California, San Diego, investigators who conducted the study. That is because children typically get their MMR vaccinations between 12 and 18 months of age, but the increase in head size and accelerated brain growth tended to occur earlier.

Writing in the July 16 issue of The Journal of the American Medical Association, the researchers note that the "degree, rate and/or duration" of the excessive brain growth may be predictive of the severity of later symptoms of autism. But in an accompanying editorial, pediatrician and psychiatrist Janet Lainhart, MD, writes that it is "premature to conclude that increased rate of head growth is a universal feature of autism."

"On its own this marker is not specific, so it certainly can't tell if a child is going to develop autism," Lainhart tells WebMD. "But the hope is that it can be combined with subtle developmental differences that might be present during infancy to aid in early identification."

Diagnosis of Autism

Children are usually diagnosed with autism between the ages of 2 and 4, when behavioral signs and symptoms such as delayed speech and unusual social and emotional reactions become apparent.

"By 18 months there are very clear warning signs in most children who develop autism," study co-author Natacha Akshoomoff, PhD, tells WebMD. "The hope is that suspicions will be raised even earlier if this pattern of head growth is proven to be a biological marker of autism."

In earlier work, lead author Eric Courchesne, PhD, and colleagues with UCSD and the Center for Autism Research at Children's Hospital reported that 90% of 2- and 3-year-old autistic children they studied had brains that were larger than normal. In their latest study, they examined the medical records of 48 2- to 5-year-olds who had been diagnosed with autism and compared head growth measurements with those of average children, as defined by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention growth charts. They were also compared with 51 non-autistic infants born between 1980 and 2001 who took part in a separate head circumference study.

Head size at birth among the autistic children was, on average, smaller than the children who did not develop autism. But during the first year of life, these children experienced sudden and excessive brain growth such that their brains were larger than all but 15% of all children measured. This excessive growth in head size occurred well before the onset of behavioral symptoms.

"Those infants having the most extreme rate of accelerated head (and brain) growth had the poorest clinical outcome -- being at the severe end of the autism spectrum, while those infants with a slower rate of accelerated growth had a relatively better outcome," Courchesne said in a news release.

Explaining the Symptoms

Though it is widely believed that autism is a genetic disorder, Akshoomoff says the rapid, early brain growth could explain why autistic children develop the symptoms they do. The hypothesis, she says, is that the brain growth occurs in an autistic child before that child is developmentally ready for it.

"There is a vast overproduction of connections in a young child's brain," she says. "But as children start to develop skills between 2 and 5 years of age, there is a pruning back of these connections. They keep what they need and get rid of those that are not meaningful."

The early brain growth in autistic children could mean that they are losing these extra connections too soon, Akshoomoff says, and as a result their emotional and intellectual development is impaired.

She says that the findings must be confirmed in a larger sample of children followed from infancy in the hopes of identifying a clinically useful model of brain growth and autism risk. Such research could also lead to better animal models to study the disorder.

"If there is ever going to be a useful pharmaceutical or genetic intervention in autism it will have to be delivered early in a child's life," she says. "If we wait until the child is 2 to 5 years old, there is only so much that can be done to correct what has already taken place."

http://www.webmd.com/baby/news/2 ... may-indicate-autism

4#
發表於 11-11-14 12:28 |只看該作者
研究指出:「皮質神經元並非後天產生,因此自閉
兒神經元病態增生顯示是胎兒時期因素。」研究人員表示,「產前存在或出現缺陷細胞,恐和罹患自閉症有關」。

好內疚..........

原帖由 Henrymama 於 11-11-11 12:24 發表
自閉症兒腦較重 腦神經元較多法新社 – 2011年11月9日星期 ...

5#
發表於 11-11-14 15:13 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽
簽名被屏蔽

6#
發表於 11-11-15 12:32 |只看該作者
上網睇到以下文章,睇左可能會令你好D。

"自閉症研究發現,遺傳不再是主因"

[url=http://www.autismawakening.org/DispOneMessage.asp?txtOrgCode=Autism&Category=01&ID=Autism40751937539727&age]http://www.autismawakening.org/DispOneMessage.asp?txtOrgCode=Autism&Category=01&ID=Autism40751937539727&age[/url]=

原帖由 why-me 於 11-11-14 12:28 發表
研究指出:「皮質神經元並非後天產生,因此自閉
兒神經元病態增生顯示是胎兒時期因素。」研究人員表示,「產前存在或出現缺陷細胞,恐和罹患自閉症有關」。

好內疚..........

[ 本帖最後由 myson727 於 11-11-15 16:48 編輯 ]

7#
發表於 11-11-15 16:49 |只看該作者
貼個正確的link:

"自閉症研究發現,遺傳不再是主因!"
http://www.autismawakening.org/DispOneMessage.asp?txtOrgCode=Autism&Category=01&ID=Autism40751937539727&Page=

[ 本帖最後由 myson727 於 11-11-15 16:53 編輯 ]

8#
發表於 11-11-15 17:05 |只看該作者
我都明, 我好盡心盡力去照顧我個仔, 但始終有一日我會老,我會死....
咁到時邊個理佢, 呢點我到而家都唔知點算

原帖由 Henrymama 於 11-11-14 15:13 發表

唔好傷心啦, 其實到現在好多病都唔知係點回事, 都唔想係咁既嘛.
無野係完美的, 曾經有位媽咪講過, 上天給我一個小朋友, 係因為上帝覺得我會對他最好, 最懂得照顧愛惜他.

一世人的經歷一定有起伏, 各人都有自己的 ...

9#
發表於 11-11-15 23:50 |只看該作者
簽名被屏蔽

10#
發表於 11-11-16 12:05 |只看該作者
"科技在進步, 香港的醫生特別是政府醫生, 用藥好保守, 有時跳出個range,.."
好讚同Henrymama的講法,其實外國有好多好多資料,只是香港比較保守(其實是落後)。

講到老人家,我自己媽媽也做緊生物療法及戎口,因為前幾個月腳痛,中西醫都睇過,驗的照的都做齊,又有老人痴呆的情況出現(我婆婆都有老人痴呆),無記性,精神難集中,...,做生物療法後慢慢好番,一個月後隻腳就唔痛,最重要是精神好番晒,醒好多。

原帖由 Henrymama 於 11-11-15 23:50 發表

我都唔知點安慰你.

我見到有個topic有媽咪揾DR. KU睇佢地的小朋友, 食左一些supplements, 有D小朋友真係有效, 因此我上網去揾關於DR.KU的資料(因為我媽最近記憶力衰退的好快, 搞到我好擔心), 見到佢都 ...

11#
發表於 11-11-16 14:39 |只看該作者
簽名被屏蔽

12#
發表於 11-11-17 12:23 |只看該作者
其實在Google揾"biomedical treatment" 或"生物療法"就可找到很多資料,中文的可參考:
http://www.littlegiant.com.hk/common/fz-zb-detail.html#fz1

驗血、尿、屎等比較貴(但我媽媽無驗),平均幾千元一個test,覆診連一星期藥幾百元(貴與平見人見智)

原帖由 Henrymama 於 11-11-16 14:39 發表

Hi myson727,

請問有無生物療法的資料? 貴唔貴? tks!

13#
發表於 11-11-17 16:09 |只看該作者
簽名被屏蔽

14#
發表於 11-11-17 16:58 |只看該作者
她有無飲牛奶(或牛奶製品)及吃麵包(即小麪製品)的習慣,戒左可能會好D,不如試下找個DAN doctor睇下。
幾年前有雜誌都報導過,好似有個輕度弱智的女仔,出現幻覺,開始以為精神病,後期用生物療法OK番。

原帖由 Henrymama 於 11-11-17 16:09 發表

Thank you!

我呢兩日覺得阿媽有幻覺, 唉,
可能要帶佢去睇精神科先得.

15#
發表於 11-11-17 22:08 |只看該作者
簽名被屏蔽

16#
發表於 11-11-18 09:58 |只看該作者
找到了有關報道:
http://bbs.qoos.com/viewthread.php?tid=1555561

因牛奶中的牛奶蛋白和小麥中的穀膠蛋白,不 能 完 全 分 解, 會 產 生 毒 素 上 腦 , 破 壞 腦 細 胞 , 出 現 幻 覺 及 發 展 障 礙 等 問 題 當。

原帖由 Henrymama 於 11-11-17 22:08 發表

thanks myson727

她無飲牛奶, 有吃麵包,
我明天代她去睇醫生, 睇下點講.  

17#
發表於 11-11-18 17:47 |只看該作者
myson727
請問有咩野可以幫助分解穀膠蛋白?
謝謝!

18#
發表於 11-11-18 18:13 |只看該作者
Digestive enzyme (with DPP IV) can help to digest gluten and casein

http://www.enzymestuff.com/basicsproductguidelines.htm

19#
發表於 11-11-19 01:29 |只看該作者
Bio-medical treatment starts at about late1980 in US (Sorry I lost those exact text about the exact date since I have moved recently) First worldwide recognized conference held in 1995 at US.
The fundamental theory of bio-medical treatment is not very difficult to understand esp for doctors or psychiatrists who is holding a medical degree
(Starting from leaky guts to ruined self-detoxic system , by then repairing immune system and inflammation/distortion of brain development, etc)
I guess parents could understand thoroughly if u take some time to locate those info from internet or library. Much info is also available in Chinese. There is an USA association named Defeat Autism Now! (DAN!),registering those doctors practising bio-medical treatment to patients. Most "Dan" doctors who are doctors or psychiatrists.
In HK, there are less than 10 similar these doctors. Not all these doctors are registered DAN docs, but I guess it is not a problem since the basic theory is not difficult to understand. But rumors did occur among patients & its parents about each doctor which I wont comment. I sincerely recommend that please go to see one (not some famous icon which u may know whom I am talking about) before using those treatment or supplement. (though I am not a doc nor a person in such field even)
The DAN association did claimed that their successful rate to have a kid recovered completely or significantly up to 20-30%.
Talking about HK govt altitude towards autism or PDD. Of course, it is just…
Before talking about anything, I remembered I have attended a memorable seminar about Japanese cartoonist who wrote the famous comics – “walking w/ Hikari” died 3 yrs ago. What became immemorable to me is that the chairwoman from the Parents of HK autism association (sorry I don’t know the exact name) spoke up and launched most urgent 10 requests to HK govt (and stress first 2 are most urgent) for what they are seeking HK govt to provide support. 1st is Integration w/ society, 2nd is career support. Their 3rd item is already support in bio-medical treatment. So our HK govt must know what parents are seeking in HK.
Why they wont listen?
Or should I say they wont bother (since autism or PDD is not mortal perhaps).
In the beginning, I guess HK govt might not know the effectiveness of Bio-T. But as I said before, or other then medical journal, you might even find the Pearl report or the article from Times magazine. It is generally adopted in US, Europe, Australia & New Zealand and insurance did covered some. HK govt is impossible to know its feasibility. 2nd I guess HK govt might need to inject too many fund to start on such method and dared not to bear the consequences unlike US & some Europe countries. But our govt did spend quite a lot on autism support and their integrated education (though not effective I guess). Seems money is the key problem wor~.
One day I got an insight from a discussion with a doc about this issue. He told me one thing. Special need education has been adopted in Hong Kong for at least 30 years. What yr kid has seen from govt hospital, CAC, social worker, therapist from charity organizations have run such program for a few decades already. Doctors as psychiatrist and psychologist are hired through hospital. OT, ST & PT therapists of CAC & charity org. registered after graduates received their college degree with years of practices. They are so-called the mainstream intervention in HK. But now, you are telling them that their method from years of study is out-dated & inefficient. Autism should be more a NEUROTIC matter (even Temple Grandin agreed) than a psychiatric one. If they should do medication (so-called alternative method in HK???) rather than training. Aren’t you just “breaking their rice bowls”??? What become more ironic is that there are more and more textbooks & journals treating medication ahead of therapy and education.
So if myson727 and Henrymama said HK govt is too conservative or behind in treating autism, I would say that they are just not in this field for what u are talking about. Hahaha...

[ 本帖最後由 LPYdad1 於 11-11-19 01:35 編輯 ]

20#
發表於 11-11-22 12:47 |只看該作者
剛剛做生物療法時,醫生都有開消化酶比我仔食,每餐都要食,同時也要戒牛奶小麥,大概食左半年,之後無再開。

原帖由 HgI 於 11-11-18 18:13 發表
Digestive enzyme (with DPP IV) can help to digest gluten and casein

http://www.enzymestuff.com/basicsproductguidelines.htm

[ 本帖最後由 myson727 於 11-11-22 12:48 編輯 ]
‹ 上一主題|下一主題