教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Ability to Read
樓主: amazing9870
go

Ability to Read [複製鏈接]

101#
發表於 06-4-28 11:06 |只看該作者

Re: Ability to Read

CherylMum,

My son likes me reading more than on his own and I read him books but not very systemetically. Just let him choose the one he likes.  So sometimes he choose the same book every time for a period of time and I'll read the same book to him over and over for few days.  I know that he memorizes the words as sometimes I play "fill in the blanks" verbally with him and he made it.  But I'm not quite convinced that he can recognize words.  He's almost three now.  Can you advise how many times a book should be repeated to child when I read to him and how frequent should his library change?  Repeat reading the same book is important in helping children build up vocabularies and learn rhetorics by memory, as I was told by some teachers.  But I'm afraid that he learns not enough new things/words and I'm not sure when to proceed to new stage sometimes.
CherylMum 寫道:
Amazing9870,

Great to hear that your kid is making progress.  Suggest you read one English book every day with your kid.  Oxford Reading Tree is a good choice.

102#
發表於 06-4-28 11:17 |只看該作者

[ 本帖最後由 CherylMum 於 09-11-17 15:54 編輯 ]

103#
發表於 06-4-28 11:37 |只看該作者

CherylMum 寫道:
Amosmother,

My second daugher is also three years old.  I do not teach her any reading right now.  I just teach her phonics for 5 min every night.  Now she can tell me the letter sounds of most of the letters.  She can also identify the letter sound of many pictures (e.g. when I show her a picture of lion, she will know that it starts with the letter "l", e.t.c.).

I won't concern much about her reading at this moment.  I just enjoy reading aloud to her.  I put a whole box of books in the sitting area, and let her choose which book to read.  Sometimes she will read the same book again and again, and sometimes she will choose some new books.  No need to worry.  Just let him choose whatever he likes at this stage.

Yes.  The most important thing to do is to let them ENJOY reading.

104#
發表於 06-4-28 11:57 |只看該作者

CherylMum,

Thanks for the advice.  I feel more comfortable with my son's current "reading habit" now.

105#
發表於 06-5-2 19:11 |只看該作者

Dear FXPC,

Wanna say thank you to you cos' my son loves the "Mighty Robot" series and the Dav Pilkey website a lot. I bought him all the books (almost all I guess) of "Mighty Robot" and he finished them in one day !

I also went to the Dianne's "Books Talk" Workshop (organized by Pro-Active Learning) recommended by Warren. It was good. I bought the books recommended by Dianne and read them to my son, he loves it too. Those are simple picture books with very meaningful stories.

Ruby

106#
發表於 06-5-4 16:25 |只看該作者

I also agree that the most important thing is to arouse kids' interest in reading.  I also make available many books in every corner in sitting room and bedroom.  My son at 2.5 years old also chooses the ones he likes.  For familiar books that I read many times to him, he 'instructs' me by saying the title of the book to me.  He also likes me repeatedly reading the same book to him.  And I find reading is an art if you do not always just read aloud the words but tell the story or stimulate his creative thinking.  Then every time you read the book, it is a new story.  Kids can learn new things if you repeat reading the same book.  I find my son enjoys it very much.  And he can recognize some of the words there.  I test this out by writing the words appear in the books I read to him many times in a plain sheet.

Thanks to CherylMum's sharing.  

107#
發表於 06-5-4 17:46 |只看該作者

Hi Ruby,

Would you share with us more about the book talk and the books recommended by Diane please?  Thanks very much.

由 Ruby1219 於 2006-05-02 19:11:01
I also went to the Dianne's "Books Talk" Workshop (organized by Pro-Active Learning) recommended by Warren. It was good. I bought the books recommended by Dianne and read them to my son, he loves it too.

108#
發表於 06-5-4 21:05 |只看該作者

Dear all,

Just notice this great sharing forum here. 高人雲集!打過 先!

I will come to see your sharing in the future. Thanks for the great sharing! Very enlightening to me!

Rgds
Buzz.. Buzzz... Buzzing Bee Let kids read more 讓孩子多閱讀! CLICK HERE to find bookstores 去哪裡找書?? Mainland Book Indx A Mainland Book Indx B *PART 1 , PART 2* *星加坡童書收獲*由一名可笑、瘋狂、自大無比和幼稚到極名作家寫的公開信 我的回应-->P. 223 of HERE Steps to Post Image 1. Right click on the image you want to copy 2. Choose 內容 3. If the url shown in the 內容 pop-up menu is ended with 'jpg' or 'gif' (maybe other image formats will do too), it is an image url. 4. Copy the url 5. click 'IMG' of BK message menu bar, paste the url into the pop-up box 6. click 'ENTER' Then the image will be shown in your message.

109#
發表於 06-5-8 10:18 |只看該作者

CherylMum,

Hi, thanks for your sharing here, I've learned a lot. I've got some questions about reading to kids. Do you point at the characters/words while you're reading aloud? Whenever I am trying to do so, my 4-year-old son will become impatient and wants me to go ahead telling the story in my own words. Could u share your experience? Thanks.   

110#
發表於 06-5-8 10:55 |只看該作者

[ 本帖最後由 CherylMum 於 09-11-17 15:59 編輯 ]

111#
發表於 06-5-10 19:24 |只看該作者

Sandrine,

Sorry for my late reply. Had been very busy at work and rarely did I visit BK recently.

The books recommended by Dianne are very inspiring. All are picture books (for my son's age level which is 6) with not many words. She recommended us to read the books to the kids (of course the kids will meantime do their own reading) and discuss the content and moral of the book with them after reading the story. For example, there is one story called "When Sophie gets angry, really really angry". It talks about how Sophie releases her anger by running, crying, etc. Dianne suggested us to discuss with the kid about his own way of releasing anger, how about the others such as daddy ? their best friend ? etc. Then we can tell them that being angry is ok, but you should have a proper way to release it. And, different people have different way to release their anger and we should respect individual differences...etc.
Dianne talked about many books during that 2 hours sharing. Honestly, just getting the book list without learning the ways from her is not useful. I've bought all the books recommended by her and read most of them to my son already. He loves them.

Ruby

112#
發表於 06-5-11 12:31 |只看該作者

Ruby

Thanks for your reply.  You're right, we can easily get recommended booklists from a lot of sources but as parents, it's the way how we facilitate the learning and make reading interesting that is important.  There's more to it than merely recognizing the words.  I find those books that offer reading tips for parents very useful.  Recently, my daughter got a book from her school as a birthday present and there was some recommended clapping activities included.  We enjoy the reading, clapping and singing very much (yes, singing because the melody was also provided).  We really got to be creative.

113#
發表於 06-5-11 13:51 |只看該作者

114#
發表於 06-5-11 13:52 |只看該作者

115#
發表於 06-5-11 13:52 |只看該作者

Dear Ruby1219,

I would be grateful if you can please pm me or share with us the book list that Dianne recommended to you. Many thanks.

Applepie.[quote]

Ruby1219 寫道:

I've bought all the books recommended by her and read most of them to my son already. He loves them.

116#
發表於 06-5-11 14:25 |只看該作者

Dear Ruby1219

Would you mind sharing the list?  Please pm me if it will not cause much trouble.  Has Dianne mentioned when her next talk in Hong Kong will be?

Regards
Anna

117#
發表於 06-5-11 22:01 |只看該作者

Ruby1219:

I'm also interested in the reading list of Frankenstein. Would you mind fax it to me or by email? check pm pls.  :)

118#
發表於 06-5-12 08:14 |只看該作者

I think she's coming to HK once a year. But not sure if it's the same time though.

It's hard to share the list here. I just have a hard copy of it.

Ruby

119#
發表於 06-5-12 09:42 |只看該作者

Hello Ruby1219,

Glad to hear that your son loves "mighty robots'.

Did your son read "Nate the great" detective series?
There are about 30 books in this series. The stories were about Nate the great who helps to solve the mysterious cases. (try to check out from library to see if your son is interested in them.)

Nate the Great

Juvenile Fiction - Mysteries & Detective Stories Delacorte Books for Young Readers

Another set of books for boys:

Dennis the Menace - 4 Books
Age range: 5-7
No. of pages: 94

Click here to take a look at the inside page

Everyone knows a menace, but have you met the greatest menace of them all? Starring Dennis, the Beano's famous bad boy, each paperback book in this collection features three good length stories with black and white illustrations. Ideal for children looking for humour, we recommend them particularly to those boys who are proving to be a little book resistant.

Titles include:The Greatest Menace, A Menace Strikes Back, Master Menace and A Mission to Menace.

120#
發表於 06-5-12 10:16 |只看該作者

Dear Ruby1219,

Please check your pm.  Thanks.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題