教育王國 討論區 小學雜談 St. paul's convent vs marymount
樓主: elmobb
go

St. paul's convent vs marymount [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 06-11-22 14:17 |只看該作者

Re: St. paul's convent vs marymount

YongXin,

You are SPC old girls and prefer SPC. I would like to know your sister's preference as she is MM old girls.

22#
發表於 06-11-22 14:39 |只看該作者

If both schools no school fees, then will pick St. Paul's convent for sure.
With other concerns e.g. money, younger sisters, etc may consider MM.

23#
發表於 06-11-22 14:59 |只看該作者

leschelems 寫道:
如果是純粹學校對學校的比對,在親子王國已有無數談論,從各種參數顯示,聖保祿似略為佔優, 但如果考慮到找學校為了囡囡的話,從這方面出發,則應有更多考慮.

首先是囡囡的個性.瑪利曼學生傾向自信敢言有主見,而聖保祿則學生沉實穏重為多.學生有這現象,除了是學校的培養,囡囡天生的性格亦是十分重要.如果學生與學校錯配十多年,學校生活實在不好過.

第二是教與學的相配. 聖保祿强調中而不庸,要恰到好處但不平庸,而瑪利曼教學是放而不縱,從校舍`課程到活動處處顯出空間.如果囡囡取向是喜歡拿捏這種恰當,在聖保祿就最好不過;如果囡囡需要空間發揮,在瑪利曼實在如魚得水.

第三是本地和外地升學的取向,兩家學校裏都有本地和外地升學.兩者相比聖保祿較多本地升學,從會考高考的優異成績及相當高的尖子比例(2006年200多人就有超過二十名尖子)可見她們意在升讀香港的大學.雖然瑪利曼的公開試都不俗(2004年120人就有十多名尖子),但學生的外地升學率十分高,中一收生約160人,到中五會考只剩下約100+人,然後到中七只有約60人考高考,再加上小五六離校的,差不多有一半學生在不同階段轉到國際學校(熱門選擇HKIS,亦有頂尖的考入LPCUWC)或外國中學.她們轉到國際學校或外國中學當然是為考進英美加的名大學鋪路.小學不真接入讀國際學校,原因不外乎是不想囡囡太早離開父母`希望囡囡能用中文溝通等等.

第四是所謂"一條龍"."一條龍"不單只使家長安心,更重要是可使轉校所帶來的適應過渡的衝擊減至最輕.學生由幼稚園升小學及由小學升中學,都面對失去大部份舊同學和進入陌生新環境等等問題,能由幼稚園直升中學的確可取,所以聖保祿這方面比瑪利曼又較好.

祝願各位都可幫小朋友找到理想的學校!

I agreed but "外地升學" not only depends on parents' fancy but finance.

24#
發表於 06-11-22 16:08 |只看該作者

YongXin,

真高興又多了一位對兩校都有相當體會的會員.两家都是港島名校,而學生經過十多年豐盛的學校生活,對母校絶對會有一份深厚的認同感及歸属感,如果沒有的話我反而覺得出奇.

你父母十多年前已把你倆送進這兩家學校,真了不起!至於他們分別把你倆送進不同學校,想必另有深意,能否跟大家一同分享?

25#
發表於 06-11-22 17:04 |只看該作者

Dear all,
Any open Day for St.paul's convent and MM?I really want to visit the schools and know more about them. Many thanks.

醒目開學勳章

26#
發表於 06-11-22 17:41 |只看該作者

Dear leschelems,

我想都是為人父母的心血, 古今中外也是如此.

我是因為小學 (寶血) 成绩很好, 中一派位入到St Paul's Convent. 當時是我媽媽堅持報St Paul 做第一志願, 結果如願.

我妹妹也是小一派位入Marymount, 也是我媽媽堅持報的.

媽媽自己讀書不多, 但為我們做了很多 (我哥哥讀St Joseph 小學中學), 家庭很溫暖, 也沒有給我們任何讀書壓力, 我們的成績品行也很好, 很感謝父母, 也因此成為現在自己為家庭努力的目標. 我的女女剛剛小一派位, 入了 St Paul's Primary Catholic School, 我很感恩.

所以, 各位家長請繼續一起努力!

leschelems 寫道:
YongXin,

真高興又多了一位對兩校都有相當體會的會員.两家都是港島名校,而學生經過十多年豐盛的學校生活,對母校絶對會有一份深厚的認同感及歸属感,如果沒有的話我反而覺得出奇.

27#
發表於 06-11-22 21:31 |只看該作者

Congratulations!!! (I have to switch to Eng again for my problematic chinese input).

St Paul's Catholic Primary is another cherished school in town.  Although we have differences, I do value this school.  Wish I could read your sharing on this school somewhere else.

YongXin 寫道:
Dear leschelems,

我想都是為人父母的心血, 古今中外也是如此.

我是因為小學 (寶血) 成绩很好, 中一派位入到St Paul's Convent. 當時是我媽媽堅持報St Paul 做第一志願, 結果如願.

我妹妹也是小一派位入Marymount, 也是我媽媽堅持報的.

媽媽自己讀書不多, 但為我們做了很多 (我哥哥讀St Joseph 小學中學), 家庭很溫暖, 也沒有給我們任何讀書壓力, 我們的成績品行也很好, 很感謝父母, 也因此成為現在自己為家庭努力的目標. 我的女女剛剛小一派位, 入了 St Paul's Primary Catholic School, 我很感恩.

所以, 各位家長請繼續一起努力!

[quote]
leschelems 寫道:
YongXin,

[/quote]

28#
發表於 06-11-23 00:34 |只看該作者

I will choose St Paul's Convent.  I've applied Marymount this year and still haven't checked the result yet.

29#
發表於 06-11-23 01:25 |只看該作者

無須親身去,瑪利曼已把結果上載.

http://www.mps.edu.hk/Circular/2006_2007/November/popup%20Nov%2020%2006.htm#bottom

DMelody 寫道:
I will choose St Paul's Convent.  I've applied Marymount this year and still haven't checked the result yet.

醒目開學勳章

30#
發表於 06-11-23 14:59 |只看該作者

Dear bk2005,

This is interesting. From my sister who was a MPS old girl:

My 2 cents: (but entirely based on my experience 10-20 years ago!  Could be quite different now, I think you mums should ask the current students and parents to get a better idea.)

MSS

Pros –
- Excellent focus on English language and literature.  If it were not for the Phonics class since P.1 (can check whether they still have this class), I would not have such a good command of the language today.  We were always encouraged to read and to converse in English.

- Encourages creativity with lots of extra-curricular activities.

- Better performance in Speech & Drama, Music Festivals.

- Girls are generally more confident and fun.

Cons –

- Not as academically sound in terms of HKCEE results.

- Teacher quality deteriorating.

- High concentration of kids from wealthy families and regular kids may feel inadequate.

ð      more for kids that want to have fun, like the arts more than science, receptive to creativity.

SPCS

Pros –

- Excellent academic results in public exams.

- Students are more naive and quiet.

- Frequent recipient of academic awards recent years, e.g. Outstanding Students Award.

- More diversity in terms of family background

Cons –

- Not sure if they encourages extra-curricular activities as much.

- Not as creative and fun.

ð      more for kids that want to have top grades, regular school life.

31#
發表於 06-11-23 15:48 |只看該作者

I wonder if you realise that our children will not be taking O or A levels anymore but the HK Diploma of education (the local version of IB diploma)under the new 3-3-4.
Neither Marymount or St Pauls or any local school have the experience to teach this.

32#
發表於 06-11-23 16:15 |只看該作者

It's a fair marymounter view on these two schools although I wonder whether you, as a SPC old girl,  agree with your sister.  For the phonic developed by Maryknoll sisters, the school has been doing it for about eighty years.

33#
發表於 06-11-23 16:28 |只看該作者

Can anyone briefly describe what the Maryknoll phonic is ?

醒目開學勳章

34#
發表於 06-11-23 16:47 |只看該作者

Dear leschelems,

Yes, I agreed with her except that when we were in SPCS, we did have a lot of extra-curriculum activities. SPCS girls are also very active, independent and confident too. We were keen in public speaking and debating.

leschelems 寫道:
It's a fair marymounter view on these two schools although I wonder whether you, as a SPC old girl,  agree with your sister.  For the phonic developed by Maryknoll sisters, the school has been doing it for about eighty years.

35#
發表於 06-11-23 19:22 |只看該作者

I'm myself a Marymount old girl and my daughter is now in P.1.  I'm very pleased with the school, their direction and teacher's qualities.  They emphasize on the development on the whole person.  Moreover, the school does not concentrate to develop only the good ones, they give equal opportunities to all students.
For this year's speech festival, the school encourages all P.1 girls to participate.  They will not audition and select only the good ones to train them, they train you if you want to participate.  We all know that using this method, the number of awards will go down naturally, but it gives many invaluable opportunities to many P.1 girls to speak in front of a large audience.  
I do appreciate the headmistress and the teachers.  

36#
發表於 06-11-24 00:25 |只看該作者

如果瑪利曼真如所講是"貴族"學校,為什麼老是有人說捨聖保祿取瑪利曼是因為錢的原故?瑪利曼家長豈不是變成手頭緊絀的"貴族"?

小學概覽上,聖保祿學校小學部的學費是$22,400,而聖保祿學校中學部的學費是$25,000.這是否意味著,聖保祿的家長都是能額外負擔得起$22,400x6+$25,000x3=$276,600學費,而又認為自己不夠"貴族"的一群呢?

37#
發表於 06-11-24 06:22 |只看該作者

明心道,

又無須要這麼富諷刺性.不過你亦帶出一點我好希望討論,其實瑪利曼好受五類家長歡迎.

第一,就是高收入或較富裕,即所謂"貴族"(這個稱呼實在太尖酸刻薄),他們對瑪利曼的偏好的而且確高於聖保祿.

第二,就是直資/私立學費超出家庭負擔的.津貼學校實實在在對他們重要.但願瑪利曼不要轉直資,否則又少了一所提供機會給普通人家的好學校.

第三,就是我先前提及希望子女到外國升學的.既然有此能力,起碼都是中產.

第四,就是慕名而來的,慚愧,不知他們的底細.

第五,就當然是瑪利曼舊生(風聞有人三代讀瑪利曼).我想瑪利曼舊生,成就不會太差,家景都會是中上.

計分制當然對舊生有利,不過70多個自行分配學位,亦不是全都錄取25分或以上,20分都大有人在(適齡+首名+宗教),不一定是富裕人家,再加上大抽奬時首四類都有,其實瑪利曼裏,富裕中產普通家庭分佈都算平均.

反之,聖保祿就特別受中產歡迎,云云私立/直資當中,聖保祿學費算是相宜,幼兒園五萬多元,幼稚園小學中學二萬多元,從幼兒園升至中學有相當保證.雖則如此,對很多家庭來說,仍然負擔不來.有沒有會員可以分享聖保祿的助學金申請?我認識的聖保祿家長及學生都沒有此須要.另外,聖保祿的中產家庭比例又是否真如我所調查之多呢?

38#
發表於 06-11-24 09:48 |只看該作者

本人個案:

小女幼稚園讀SPK,現讀MPS.當年選擇:如果抽不到MPS,便升讀SPC.感謝SPC的大方慷慨,讓我多一個選擇機會.

SPC的學費以直資�私校來說,實在是超值,要繼續升讀也不是完全負擔不來,但少數怕長計,小學六年加中學六年,學費超過40萬,對我這種普通家庭來說,這筆錢對日後升讀大學,絕對有很大幫助.

既然2間學校各方面條件均相距不遠(當然每個人準則不同,可能有人覺得SPC超前MPS很多),可省則省了.況且做了那麼久納稅人,可以享有的福利也不過如此而已.

小學同學中不乏超級富豪之後�來自極之富裕家庭,但對小朋友來說,她們不覺是什麼一回事,討論的仍是當時得令的玩意.

一般”名校”都有這些所謂”貴族”,這其實是一個很好的機會教育小朋友”不要憎人貴富,嫌人貧”�知足常樂�心境富裕比身家富裕更可貴.

至於中學會考�高考成績,其中牽涉很多因素,學校�家庭�個人均要負上責任,成敗得失不應單一評論.

39#
發表於 06-11-24 16:45 |只看該作者

leschelems & zizz,

照你們咁講,MPS係唔係真係咁適合去外國讀書?

40#
發表於 06-11-24 17:54 |只看該作者

外地升學絶不容易!!!

瑪利曼其實都是以本地課程為骨幹,一樣要教授中英文,不過這種雙語環璄就跟大部份本地學校不同.最普遍的情況是,中文遠超英文,而聖保祿是少數做到雙語又良好又平衡的學校.瑪利曼就向英語傾斜(個人意見是大幅傾斜,有學生連自己的母語亦弄不清楚).以我所知,瑪利諾修院及女拔萃都有相當傾斜.

大家在公開考試及其他評估只看到了語文水平,還有一些因素不易見.瑪利曼對英語文學及英語文化這兩方面,對學生開啟了很大空間,使學生很容易接受.學生長大了要考慮升學時,香港的大學,只是如英美加等地方一樣,能提供以英語授課的大學.又或者說,香港是云云英語區中,只是其中一個選擇.

當然,想放眼整個英語區這麼宏大,英語文化只是必備條件但不是足夠條件,大學對學生,除了語文及考試成績,還有數不盡的要求.

除此之外,數十萬至一百萬元亦少不了.zizz所提及的四十多萬(以聖保祿這相宜的直資學校計),再加上四年本地大學的十六萬多,加起來便差不多了.

瑪利曼其實是提升了空間及選擇機會,學生亦有很多選擇本地升學,否則又何來每年都有瑪利曼學生拔尖.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題