樓主: zhumama
go

RC or SJS 究竟哪間較好 [複製鏈接]

81#
發表於 07-10-25 14:28 |只看該作者
Good sharing, I agree with your view.

原文章由 matthewip 於 07-10-24 19:06 硐表
Dear all,

I'm just passing by and I found that many parents are actively participated in this forum to discuss about the choices of int'l schools. My girl is studying in Beacon Hill School (BHS) ye ...

82#
發表於 07-10-26 22:19 |只看該作者
原文章由 wewangwang 於 07-10-25 14:28 硐表
Good sharing, I agree with your view.

Yeah, as new parents of IS student, I'm also trying to adjust myself....compared to local school, the teachers are not calling me every other day if the kid is not handing in homework.  I don't even know when they have assessments.  Perhaps we'll find out more when we meet the teachers but really, I'm losing track.  And I can choose to stay away if I want to!  FOr local school, there is no choice.

And that's why we wanted to try the IS system for our son!

83#
發表於 07-10-27 06:52 |只看該作者
原文章由 hjm 於 07-10-26 22:19 硐表

Yeah, as new parents of IS student, I'm also trying to adjust myself....compared to local school, the teachers are not calling me every other day if the kid is not handing in homework.  I don't even ...

hjm,

In DC, there is weekly newsletter and update for all years on website telling parents what have been done and learnt, and there is a homework folder distributed once every week so that students can do a bit homework for English, Chinese, Maths and Science.  So parents can keep good track of what has been taught and learnt.

I heard that RC also has some updates, is it common for all classes or just coming from some teachers?

84#
發表於 07-10-27 19:37 |只看該作者
WYmom,

Oh really?  It seems DC is doing something different from other ESF then.  RC didn't update me anything what they had learned except the Chinese workbooks.  Besides, my daughter needs NOT do any homework at home.  

原文章由 WYmom 於 07-10-27 06:52 硐表

hjm,

In DC, there is weekly newsletter and update for all years on website telling parents what have been done and learnt, and there is a homework folder distributed once every week so that student ...

85#
發表於 07-10-27 22:57 |只看該作者

chingyu

My girl is in RC year 2.  Other than the regulary school newsletters, I got lots of email and note from the homeroom teacher (sometimes even too much).  These include information about new topics that the class will be learning, pictures of the class in action and progress reports on what the kids have done.

I think I did get similar things when my girl was in year one but not as much.  But I am not sure whether it is a standard practice or not or depends on the teacher.

86#
發表於 07-10-28 10:56 |只看該作者
I have talked to many parents from different years and classes. It appears to me that at RC, every teacher can has her/his own way. Some teachers give daily homework, some do not. Some are reporting to parents quite frequently, some do not. Some teachers are more aggressive and they ask children to do things that are more challenging, some do not. Some teachers are doing a mixture of everything in the same class for children of different abilities.
I do believe they have some standard practice in some areas. But when it comes to actual operation, the teachers can have their own decisions.
Now this is exactly what some western countries, eg the US and Canada, are doing. Teachers can have their own way of teaching. As long as they are following the cirriculum, they are free to implement whatever they think are appropriate to conduct.
I am as green as most parents here when we are talking about IB programme, but am quite familiar with the US and Canadian way of teaching. Primary children do almost all work at school. Except that children are expected to read a lot, they do not really have much homework. [I know things are different recently, and some schools (even public schools) are trying to ask the children to daily homework. This is probably an out of topic issue that worth discussion.]
Children at RC have been doing writing, reading, and even a lot of spelling quizes at school. Think about it, learning is supposed to be done at school. All the homework is supposed to be enforcing when they have learnt at school. Now if class teaching/work have been conducted in a proper and professional way by qualified teachers, I think no homework is necessary.
I know parents who have been used to the Hong Kong style primary education would probably feel quite uncomfortable with teachers who do not give out homework at all. And I think some teachers might therefore give out daily homework to students to ease the parents' mind.
The time for the 3-way-conference is coming. I think, if you are really concerned, you should talk to the teachers about it. Ask the teacher for more frequently reports of progress. Ask the teacher to give more homework if you are really that keen. Speak out what you feel and do not feel that you have to accept whatever she/he is doing now. I think teachers would be quite willing to hear from parents.

87#
發表於 07-10-28 22:28 |只看該作者
JennyL,

Thanks for your sharing.  You really can reflect the real picture of RC.  Well.  Maybe my previous response was too short and simple.  Besides, I have just finished chatting with some friends whose children have been still studying in local schools.  Somehow I feel a little bit worried if my daughter needs not do any homework.  However, I was clear my mind again after refreshing why I decided to put her in IS.
(you know, we parents also need to accustom this learning approach though we have already recognized and believed the philiosophy of IS before choosing it for our kids. It still needs to take some time for brainwashing. hee..)

Say some fair words.  My daughter's class teacher also updated us some progress through his website although it is not on a daily or weekly basis.

88#
發表於 07-10-29 00:32 |只看該作者
原文章由 chingyu 於 07-10-28 22:28 硐表
JennyL,

Thanks for your sharing.  You really can reflect the real picture of RC.  Well.  Maybe my previous response was too short and simple.  Besides, I have just finished chatting with some friends ...

Yeah...that's why I said I'm still adjusting!  I have my elder son through the local school stream for 5 years and know exactly what it's like.  It's just very different now he's in RC and seems like I am losing track!  I recall asking some parents here that secondary section will have the meet the teachers later...they're doing that soon for Primary.  And maybe for secondary they will not rely on parents for routines/daily stuff too much anyway!

89#
發表於 07-10-29 08:26 |只看該作者
原文章由 hjm 於 07-10-29 00:32 硐表

Yeah...that's why I said I'm still adjusting!  I have my elder son through the local school stream for 5 years and know exactly what it's like.  It's just very different now he's in RC and seems lik ...

Oh, I think when your kid starts studying in secondary, it is difficult to monitor closely any more.  My girl is also studying in ESF Y7 and she only asks me to sign her diary once a week and sometimes she will tell me results of her quiz.  But basically they have already learnt to be independent and able to manage their own work.  There are some emails from the school telling us events coming up only.  So far I see her always doing her homework and reading books after school, and I can read the comments of her teachers on her homework.  Is it more or less the same in RC secondary?

[ 本文章最後由 WYmom 於 07-10-31 06:51 編輯 ]

90#
發表於 07-10-30 14:26 |只看該作者
這問這兩間學校分別是教繁/簡體字 & 中文是否都只教普通話?

91#
發表於 07-10-30 22:56 |只看該作者
RC - 繁體字 (普通話)
SJS - 簡體字  (普通話)

原文章由 hokittyho 於 07-10-30 14:26 硐表
這問這兩間學校分別是教繁/簡體字 & 中文是否都只教普通話?

92#
發表於 07-10-30 23:23 |只看該作者
原文章由 chingyu 於 07-10-30 22:56 硐表
RC - 繁體字 (普通話)
SJS - 簡體字  (普通話)

Your child is pretty!
But I suggest that you remove that photo from your profile.

[ 本文章最後由 JennyL 於 07-10-30 23:29 編輯 ]

93#
發表於 07-10-31 10:40 |只看該作者
原文章由 chingyu 於 07-10-30 22:56 硐表
RC - 繁體字 (普通話)
SJS - 簡體字  (普通話)

Thank you for the reply.

94#
發表於 07-10-31 11:45 |只看該作者
RC 有教繁,簡體字 for different groups of student.

95#
發表於 07-10-31 13:13 |只看該作者
Hi Chingyu,

Guess your daughter's photo is the production by Craig Ramsay.  The photographer is really very pro.  He could grab the shots of children smiling naturally & happily.  Did you send email to him to ask for the e-file?  Does it cost anything?  Thanks.

Saturn.

96#
發表於 07-11-1 11:54 |只看該作者
Hi Saturn

如果要將影左的4張相的softcopy燒落隻CD到要俾580元,而個
可以再印的最大size為5x7",否則個pixel關係太大會有微粒見到的。

坦白說,真係唔係個個的相都影得很好,我女那班的入面有些同學仔影得太黑..有些就坐得太側..故就不是太多人訂得太多..都是訂一兩張作紀念only。

原文章由 Saturn 於 07-10-31 13:13 硐表
Hi Chingyu,

Guess your daughter's photo is the production by Craig Ramsay.  The photographer is really very pro.  He could grab the shots of children smiling naturally & happily.  Did you send email  ...

97#
發表於 07-11-1 13:10 |只看該作者
tweetybird,

謝謝你的回覆.

Saturn.

原文章由 tweetybird 於 07-11-1 11:54 硐表
Hi Saturn

如果要將影左的4張相的softcopy燒落隻CD到要俾580元,而個
可以再印的最大size為5x7",否則個pixel關係太大會有微粒見到的。

坦白說,真係唔係個個的相都影得很好,我女那班的入面有些同學仔影得太黑..有些就坐 ...

98#
發表於 07-11-1 18:48 |只看該作者
原文章由 WYmom 於 07-10-29 08:26 硐表

Oh, I think when your kid starts studying in secondary, it is difficult to monitor closely any more.  My girl is also studying in ESF Y7 and she only asks me to sign her diary once a week and someti ...

Yeah, sounds like it except that my son does not ask me to sign his diary as he does not write it everyday......

99#
發表於 07-11-1 21:57 |只看該作者
Hi Saturn,

I merely bought Class+Student photo.  I didn't request any email file from the school.  My husband used his own camera to shoot the small photo.  Then, he adjusted the brightness and contrast of photo by special software.  The outcome now is even better than using a scanner.

原文章由 Saturn 於 07-10-31 13:13 硐表
Hi Chingyu,

Guess your daughter's photo is the production by Craig Ramsay.  The photographer is really very pro.  He could grab the shots of children smiling naturally & happily.  Did you send email  ...

Hi JennyL,

Thanks for your reminder.  I will remove it very shortly.  I know you mean for the safety sake, right?

100#
發表於 07-11-1 23:21 |只看該作者
Saturn,

I did send an email to Craig requesting email proof of my girl pictures according to the instruction on the payment evenople.  I got all the proofs the next day right away free.

I knew some of the other parents did the same request and got all the proofs as well.

BBQQ
‹ 上一主題|下一主題