密      碼:
搜索
樓主: sh00
go

HKIS [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 14-5-24 14:13 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 sh00 於 14-5-24 22:57 編輯

re annie40: due to campus redevelopment, some of the lower primary students in Repulse Bay are relocated to tai tam campus. Students staying in Repulse Bay are mostly walkers. Their families live in the neighbourhood.

re Shootastar: "After all, school is an epitome of the society." - can't agree more!

I believe in the end we can't rely on the fear of reprimand and punishment to keep a child away from troubles. It is the belief in the intrinsic value of a clear conscience which one needs for judgement and strength, and the power of self-control that steer a child from dangerous waters. Empowering a child with good judgement and self-control is one of the best gifts parents can give a child. After all, parents and teachers won't be around forever to teach a child right and wrong and oversee her/his every step in life. I know it is easier said than done. And we are still learning to put these thoughts into action (for our child and ourselves as well)!

And thanks a lot for sharing the programs in HKIS! What is ECA?

also, I did some digging. Looks like HKIS has hired someone from China to supervise their Chinese language and culture program. She came on board in 2012.

here is her profile
http://www.hkis.edu.hk/about/leadership-team/profile/index.aspx?linkid=22&moduleid=87

22#
發表於 14-5-24 14:59 |只看該作者

回覆:HKIS

Sh00 , please check pm!

23#
發表於 14-5-24 22:25 |只看該作者
回覆 sh00 的帖子

ECA means extra-curricular activities.

24#
發表於 14-5-25 00:41 |只看該作者
Since we're on this topic, sh00 i hope you don't mind me hijacking a bit of space to ask a question :D  Between CDNIS & HKIS, overall how should one choose if the main criteria are: 1) Academics  2) Chinese program  3) Character building [in that order of importance]

My son got CDNIS Reception this year and we accepted the offer already. Given my little bean is November born, he is not old enough to sit the interview for HKIS Reception this year. I've already submitted the application (along with the app fee!), so naturally he should have a chance at the HKIS interview next year. I even thought about skipping it now that my son got into a fair school, but then, it's already been paid for and HKIS does have good Uni placements , plus he will be one of the older child (which i prefer) instead of being one of the youngest. Should i just let him do the interview anyway next year? and if he is lucky enough to get in, is HKIS worth a switch from CDNIS?

25#
發表於 14-5-25 11:27 |只看該作者
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

ICDNIS adopts the  Canadian  education curriculum until the last 2 years. I the last 2 years, it adopts the IB program.
HKIS adopts the liberal art styled (US) program.

It is difficult to say which school is better. I think you should compare the pros and cons of the two education systems before you make a decision for your kid.

26#
發表於 14-5-25 17:43 |只看該作者
回覆 Shootastar 的帖子

Actually, CDNIS runs the full IB program: PYP - MYP - IB while giving the graduates dual certificates - OSSD & IB. I have my doubts about PYP & MYP, not sure if they are academically solid enough as a prep for the rigorous IB level, although I know the association is improving the MYP program as we speak.
I am not as familiar with the American curriculum, but I heard it's pretty solid. I was raised on the Canadian curriculum and obtained the OSSD & OAC myself, so having my child obtaining the OSSD would be comfortable for me. Some European expats I talked to thinks I am worrying too much, that kids in Scandinavia doesn't start school until age 7 and they all do well academically at tertiary education.

Anyhow I think both curriculums are fine, so it's more a comparison between schools.

27#
發表於 14-5-25 19:27 |只看該作者
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

If you compare the college placement lists of both schools, you will find the answer yourself.

點評

bobbycheung  Wouldn't it be hard to compare as legacy preferences might play a part in US college admission?  發表於 14-5-25 20:16

28#
發表於 14-5-25 20:44 |只看該作者
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

I think you should go to the interview to have a feel of the school. You've already paid the application fee. And remember the questionnaire? It sure gave us quite a headache when we tried to fill it out. For Reception One 2014-15, HKIS received over 400 applications competing for 144 seats.  (just to compare: among over 800 applicants to CIS' reception class, about 2/3 were offered an interview. And 88 were offered a place in the reception class in the end). The children were interviewed in one of the reception classrooms. And there are silk worms in a corner! Some silk worms are busy making cocoons. Some are munching on leaves. I think it is very cool to let the kids have a "class pet" at school! This is definitely a plus in my mind.

29#
發表於 14-5-25 22:40 |只看該作者
bobbycheung

It is true that legacy has a role in the application process to the US college. However I think it is no more than the case that if you are a legacy applicant, your application will have a second look by the admission committee in case of a tie.

30#
發表於 14-5-25 22:52 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 14-5-25 22:53 編輯

回覆 Shootastar 的帖子

Shootastar
I know nothing about legacy admissions.  I came across the article below by chance.  Not sure if it's true though.
http://www.businessinsider.com/legacy-kids-have-an-admissions-advantage-2013-6

點評

jolalee  Thank you for sharing as well! A good little read. I'm in love with MIT now ;)  發表於 14-5-25 23:24

31#
發表於 14-5-25 22:58 |只看該作者
回覆 bobbycheung 的帖子

bobbycheung
Thanks for your sharing. .

32#
發表於 14-5-25 23:30 |只看該作者
bobbycheung 發表於 14-5-25 22:52
回覆 Shootastar 的帖子

Shootastar
Do you think similar situations happens at HKA & GSIS? We heard that many CIS parents made obscene "contributions" in elite institutions too to ensure their kids get into those schools....

33#
發表於 14-5-25 23:38 |只看該作者
回覆 bobbycheung 的帖子

Legacy and US citizenship both makes a difference.  Donation as well.   But I haven't seen anyone being able to adjust college placements for these factors so I always take those data with a grain of salt.
今日佳句: 我以往也以為國際板的家長也有質素,但現在才知deal with 一些麻煩家長也不易!  

34#
發表於 14-5-25 23:47 |只看該作者
sh00 發表於 14-5-25 20:44
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

I think you should go to the interview to have a feel of the school. You've alr ...
I was doing so many essay type questionnaires for so many school applications in one go that I've forgotten which school asked what questions LOL, but you're right, since I've done so much already (that's before my boy got the CDNIS offer) we may as well go though with the interview and get a good feel of the school.
In terms of class pet however, I wouldn't judge a school based on them. Yes my son's Montessori school had giant fat silk worms too and the school is great, but another "elite local kindergarten" we once visit has quite a few bunny rabbits as class pets and honestly that school is pretty crappy.  Anyhow it's great for kids to learn about life cycles and taking care of the living world around them.

點評

sh00  OK, now I admit I think those squirmy little things are endearing because they evoked my childhood memories. I used to have so many of them in the house that my usually lax parents called "pests."   發表於 14-5-26 00:04

35#
發表於 14-5-26 02:02 |只看該作者
回覆 sh00 的帖子

Shoo, as u explained, CIS has a very low chance to grt the seat compared with HKIS. So do u know how many applicants do CDNIS and HKA have on average and the successful rate on getting the seat? Thx

36#
發表於 14-5-26 10:25 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 sh00 於 14-5-26 10:26 編輯

回覆 wiman 的帖子

sorry, wiman, I don't know about these two schools. Maybe some parents on the thread can help you with CDNIS? Or contact their admissions office. I am sure they have the numbers you need. Sorry!

37#
發表於 14-5-26 10:29 |只看該作者
回覆 wiman 的帖子

I guess i can help answer the CDNIS one:
I am not sure exactly hom many applications CDNIS has this year for Reception, but most probably somewhere between HKIS & CIS (400-800). They shortlist and interview under 300 potential applicants from that. 80 seats are available at Reception, 40 at Pre-reception (but even parents with sibling priority finds it hard to get into pre-reception due to the limited spots) so the best bet is still Reception. I know many applicants holding Cdn passports cannot get a spot, so the competition is quite fierce.

Given CDNIS & CIS has 105 & 108 students respectively by secondary graduation, i am guessing there's another minor mass intake of 20-30 students besides the mass one at Reception, probably whist entering primary or secondary? Anyone who can enlighten us about this?

38#
發表於 14-5-26 10:50 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 honeybunny7 於 14-5-26 10:50 編輯

回覆 HKTHK 的帖子

Legacy seems to play a significant role as I have been told.
For Penn, I was told that the acceptance rate of alumni kids applying during the Early Decision period was >40% this year.  

For Harvard, my colleague who's an alumni said the acceptance rate of alumni kids getting accepted was >30% this year, and on average each year up to 60% of the class would be filled by alumni kids.  

For Stanford, my other colleague who's an alumni said the the acceptance rate of alumni kids getting accepted was also >30%.

No info on MIT yet, another colleague will start interviewing for them this coming cycle so we'll know more.

But, what we know are just some numbers/stats, I would not claim to know the true effect of legacy.  Because I and my colleagues just started interviewing for our schools, we are NOT "senior" enough to see the stats ourselves.  We got the info from the committees, and we do NOT know how these stats were calculated, and we do NOT know how being kid of an alumni affect the acceptance evaluation committee's decision.   

Also, we need to take into account that alumni parents are probably more self-selective than other parents, meaning we kinda know what it takes to get into our schools so we would not push our kids to apply to our schools if we know they aren't up for the challenge.

And note the stats probably include children of professors - I heard that children of professors at Ivy League schools are automatically considered as alumni kids at any Ivy League school.  i.e. if your mom teaches at Penn, you are considered an alumni kid when you apply to any of the Ivy League schools, not limited to just Penn.   

39#
發表於 14-5-26 12:06 |只看該作者
For Ivies, the percentage of students who receive financial aid each year amount to 60% to 70%. Some Ivies would not give financial aid to international students. If the applicants' parents are alumni of Ivies, I am quite surprised that their kids need to apply for aid. Although the admission process is never transparent, based on the figures, I am really surprised that the legacy admission of a particular college may amount to 30% or more.

Harvard says it clearly that being a legacy, the admission committee will have another look on your application only if your application tie with others in the pool. Again, it is up to you whether or not you believe what Harvard says.

點評

honeybunny7  So there is no correlation between % of alumni kids and % of students receiving some form of financial aid  發表於 14-5-26 18:17
honeybunny7  Also, financial aid includes work-study jobs, scholarships and private loans that are need-based but not limited to low-income families, for students who don't want to depend on parents financially  發表於 14-5-26 18:16
honeybunny7  Schools such as Harvard can provide financial aid to international students  發表於 14-5-26 18:13
jolalee  Yes, foolish mom read the article carefully. Not foolish at all!!  發表於 14-5-26 14:46
foolish.mom  Alumni children have >30% chance to be admitted, i.e. around 1 out of 3 applied is admitted. It doesn't mean the student pool consists of 30% alumni children  發表於 14-5-26 14:11

40#
發表於 14-5-26 14:14 |只看該作者
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

For CIS, after the reception intake, another mass intake will happen at year 7. There are 120 students at year 7, heard that the student body at year 7 will increase because year 10 at Hangzhou frees up some student space for the whole secondary school.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題