搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 ISF grade 1第一輪面試何時出結果
樓主: tigertigerpig
go

ISF grade 1第一輪面試何時出結果 [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 12-11-29 13:37 |只看該作者
回復 Octobergirls 的帖子

My experience was a short interview on the child and then they will be asked to play or read on the side.  Then questions for parents.
今日佳句: 我以往也以為國際板的家長也有質素,但現在才知deal with 一些麻煩家長也不易!  

22#
發表於 12-11-29 13:37 |只看該作者
回復 Octobergirls 的帖子

When are the 2nd round interviews this year?

23#
發表於 12-11-29 13:43 |只看該作者
回復 Maldives 的帖子

BTW, I am sure many on here recognize that ISF is a "controversial" school that stirs up a lot of debate.  I would urge all parents who are going to have 2nd round interviews read the "ISF or CDNIS?" thread.  I think it is also worthwhile to really think about whether this is the right school for you.  It is not a "happy" school with no homework.  It is a "happy learning" school though as all the parents that I have spoken with said their kids enjoy going to school.  Starting in primary school, there will be quite a lot of homework though not at the LS level.  To fully benefit from bilingual education, I think it also take efforts from the parents to provide the right home environment from reading with them, buying books, taking them to cultural events, ....

24#
發表於 12-11-29 15:48 |只看該作者
ISF is one of the most expensive schools in HK.   Not that many ordinary middle class families could afford this.   Do expect many of the families having their kids to study there are quite rich (like living in detached houses at the Peak or Repulse Bay), and the ratio of kids from mianland rich families is getting higher and higher.  Nothing wrong with this but something should be aware of.

25#
發表於 12-11-29 16:46 |只看該作者
回復 avaya 的帖子

Agree, and I think of this as one of the biggest issues of sending my child to ISF.  There is no question that most, if not almost all, of the families are middle class or above.  The problem is not as pronounced as CIS but I would say it is a cause for concerns.  While one may not have to spend as much time on languages as that is taken care of by the school, there is still a question of "moral/behavior education".  It is difficult to raise a child when everything have been taken care of by maids, helpers, drivers, ....  AMC is where most of the birthday parties are held.  It is a very nice club but what messages are we sending to our children?  Is that how most people live?  How do you instill the right "attitudes"?  This is one area that, I believe, a school like CKY will be better.
Ironically, given the bilingual immersion program, the school need more native mandarin speakers and can benefit from more, not less, mainland families.  From first hand experiences, the mainland families children tend to be well behaved as most parents have either studied abroad, worked abroad, are professionals and/or work at a MNC.  These are "professionals" type no different from any well-educated local families and I would much prefer them as fellow parents than some of the rich locals who are more interested in making money than educating their children.

26#
發表於 12-11-29 19:51 |只看該作者

引用:回復+avaya+的帖子 Agree,+and+I+think+of

原帖由 HKTHK 於 12-11-29 發表
回復 avaya 的帖子

Agree, and I think of this as one of the biggest issues of sending my child to IS ...
Then why not CKY?   Why do you still prefer ISF over CKY?  I heard their English Chinese are both not bad. GCSE results are good too.

The more bizzare a thing is, the less mysterious it proves to be.

27#
發表於 12-11-30 03:26 |只看該作者
回復 shadeslayer 的帖子

One can get into ISF a year earlier at K3 and once there, it doesn't make sense to move since ISF uses Mandarin from FY whereas CKY uses Cantonese in P1 and then switches to Mandarin in P2.  If one were admitted to both at P1, it will be a close call.  The edge for ISF is smaller class size, mix of native English and Mandarin speakers, a more international perspective and a more resourceful school.  The edge for CKY is less display of wealth, better math (but just my suspicion), better students (larger pool of applicants) and lower cost.  Personally, I think it will be a very interesting exercise to compare the details of the two schools but unfortunately, I don't know any lower primary parents at CKY.  Over time, I would expect to see students transfer from one to the other since the two schools are really quite similar.

28#
發表於 12-11-30 15:33 |只看該作者
Thank you for the info, HKTHK. I understand second round interview will begin next week.

29#
發表於 12-11-30 18:36 |只看該作者
回復 Octobergirls 的帖子

I think so for grade 1 applicants

30#
發表於 12-12-1 02:11 |只看該作者
HKTHK 發表於 12-11-30 03:26
回復 shadeslayer 的帖子

One can get into ISF a year earlier at K3 and once there, it doesn't make s ...
ISF is about a million times more resourceful both at school and at home.  If CKY achieves something comparable, then CKY is such a efficient school.
Choosing a school because it starts one year earlier?  Just 1 out of 12 or 13 years of schooling makes such a difference?

31#
發表於 12-12-1 11:34 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 HKTHK 於 12-12-1 11:34 編輯

回復 shadeslayer 的帖子

Should have made myself clear.  ISF teaches hanyu pinyin in Foundation Year (i.e. K3) already so by end of K3, the child is already proficient with pinyin and used to PTH instructions.  ISF keeps experimenting with their instruction and this year, I think they made a switch whereby all hanyu pinyin are taught in the first 3-4 months as opposed to the old way where it is spread throughout the year.  So by end of K3, all the children can converse in mandarin, read hanyu pinyin books and are used to reciting 唐詩 and 弟子規 in PTH.  If they switches to CKY in P1, then they will have to spend P1 in Cantonese instruction before moving to PTH again in P2 which doesn't make sense.  

This is why I would only consider CKY for my younger child.

32#
發表於 12-12-1 16:29 |只看該作者
is it a must to study foundation year in ISF?

33#
發表於 12-12-1 22:11 |只看該作者
HKTHK 發表於 12-12-1 11:34
回復 shadeslayer 的帖子

Should have made myself clear.  ISF teaches hanyu pinyin in Foundation Year ...
Thanks.  That makes sense. CKY is a good alternative to traditional primary school.

34#
發表於 12-12-2 03:01 |只看該作者
回復 freemom 的帖子

No, it is not but it is easier to get in at FY and I also think it is the better way to go as you have a better foundation.  To turn the question around, if one is interested in a bilingual program, why would one not apply at K2 for FY?

35#
發表於 12-12-2 11:42 |只看該作者

引用:回復+freemom+的帖子 No,+it+is+not+but+i

原帖由 HKTHK 於 12-12-02 發表
回復 freemom 的帖子

No, it is not but it is easier to get in at FY and I also think it is the bette ...
But by locking yourself to ISF at K3, you are giving up the rest of the primary schools which are also good bilingual schools and which start at P1.  Eg CKY.

I think ISF is pitching itself to compete with IS and among them, ISF sells bilingual education, which makes them unique. That is their way to gain popularity.  Not that there is anything wrong with that strategy. But with any new school with a new untried curriculum,  there is a mountain to climb, we will have to wait and see.

36#
發表於 12-12-2 12:23 |只看該作者
回復 shadeslayer 的帖子

Aside from CIS, is there any bilingual school that is proven?

37#
發表於 12-12-2 13:00 |只看該作者

引用:回復+shadeslayer+的帖子 Aside+from+CIS,

原帖由 HKTHK 於 12-12-02 發表
回復 shadeslayer 的帖子

Aside from CIS, is there any bilingual school that is proven?
No. I don't know. SIS may be. Bilingual education is notoriously difficult. A parent of SIS told me their English and Chinese are good but now great.

點評

HKTHK  now great or not great?  發表於 12-12-2 13:15

38#
發表於 12-12-2 13:14 |只看該作者
回復 shadeslayer 的帖子

The Secondary school of SIS just started in 2009 so it is unproven as well.  What you have been hearing good things about is probably the primary school.  And SIS starts at K2 so you will be locked into their system as well.  At the end of the day, all of these bilingual schools are work-in-progress with unproven results.  It is not like there is one school that stands out and carries no risk.  So I really don't mind being locked into one school since I don't believe there is a substantially better alternative.  Only time will tell which, if any, of these schools will be successful.  What will determine each child's success, though, is probably their family's upbringing.  

39#
發表於 12-12-2 13:52 |只看該作者
HKTHK 發表於 12-12-2 03:01
回復 freemom 的帖子

No, it is not but it is easier to get in at FY and I also think it is the bette ...

If I consider to buy the capital note of ISF, is it only useful at FY interview but not for grade 1 interview?

40#
發表於 12-12-2 15:56 |只看該作者
回復 freemom 的帖子

I think useful at G1 as well but it is still much easier to get in at FY
‹ 上一主題|下一主題
返回列表
發新帖