用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 DGS vs RC. How to choose???
查看: 11175|回覆: 42
go

DGS vs RC. How to choose??? [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 09-6-14 11:48 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
This is the question of my friend, how to choose?? (P.S. location and financial are not the problem).
   1    0    0    0

2#
發表於 09-6-14 17:09 |只看該作者
DGS, it is the best girl's school in HK.

3#
發表於 09-6-14 23:21 |只看該作者
If the girl has a competitive personality, then without a doubt, DGS.   

原帖由 rororolee 於 09-6-14 11:48 發表
This is the question of my friend, how to choose?? (P.S. location and financial are not the problem).

4#
發表於 09-6-15 10:11 |只看該作者
I consider there are lots of good schools in HK but none of them should be classified as "the best". Each school has its strength and weekness. Apart from that, I think teachers quality (incl. caring) is much more important than school. e.g if a teacher is very meant but with not kind heart, the child that she takes care of might be good in academic but very weak in other areas.  

原帖由 elizatyy 於 09-6-14 17:09 發表
DGS, it is the best girl's school in HK.

5#
發表於 09-6-15 10:20 |只看該作者
True.  I heard from a friend who's child came from the Mainland.  He got admitted to St. Paul Co-ed.  Initially, he was in a disadvantageous position among students and teachers because of his upbringing.  So one day, the parents invited the teachers to their big and expensive house and pampered them with goodies, they have since changed their attitude toward their kid.  I called these "pigeon eyes".  I certainly would not want my kids to go there, not under this kind of mentality.  I do not know about DGS.  I hope they are not the same.

6#
發表於 09-6-15 11:18 |只看該作者
If your child is so lucky to be accepted by those two schools, then you may put your child in DGS for 1-2 years and then transfer him/her to RC or other international schools. I personally go for international schools, although there are plenty of good local schools in HK.

7#
發表於 09-6-15 11:24 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

8#
發表於 09-6-15 11:54 |只看該作者
係SPCC讀,而又住大屋的生意人、名人,簡直大有人在,老師會否那麼少見多怪呢!能成功入讀的,孩子能力差極都有個譜。

原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-6-15 11:24 發表
If the case were really true (note: I am not questioning your integrity but the integrity of your Chinese friend or any mis-communication between you and your friend), it should be reported to EDB or  ...

9#
發表於 09-6-15 12:11 |只看該作者

Assume your friend has already got offers from both schools:
If i were your friend, most probably, I would be tempted to try DGS and then apply RC (again) or any other IS simultaneously (I guess it takes a few years to wait from the end of the waiting list at any favorite school). Then I will have a few years to decide whether DGS suits my daughter or not.

10#
發表於 09-6-15 23:16 |只看該作者
【防止賄賂條例】- 私營機構

法例簡介

代理人(通常為僱員)在未得主事人(通常為僱主)的許可下,不得因辦理其主事人的事務或業務而索取或接受利益;而提供利益者亦同樣有罪。
利益包括金錢、禮物、貸款、佣金、職位、契約、服務、優待及免除法律上全部或部分的責任等等,但利益不包括款待。
款待指供應在即場享用的食物或飲品,以及同時提供的其他款待,例如歌舞表演等。

11#
發表於 09-6-15 23:56 |只看該作者

No matter which one you choose, you'll be a busy parent coaching your own kids. The difference is on the child.

I know someone whose daughter is in DGS. Besides those music, swim, dance, tennis classes and etc ..., she started private tutorship from the 2nd term of P.1. That private tutor is so famous among DGS that she could provide past paper for P.1 students to practice.

My son is in RC for three years from P.2 to P.4. As the principal emphasis again and again, CHILDREN MUST HAVE FREE TIME. There is no exam so far. Very few home learning. (Not home work [learning should not be a work]). A few chinese dictation in a year.

When I started to search a school for my son, I set myself 3 criteria:

1. Happy learning
2. can read Harry Potter by the age of 8 (North America standard)
3. can read Louis CHA (金庸) by the age of 13 (Local standard)

So far item 1 and item 2 work quite well, item 3 is a bit discounted.

RC is a bit demanding for parent's supports. For example, you will be asked to attend an evening gathering at the class room, read a letter your child wrote to you, draft a reply in 15 minutes for your child to present the next day. This is no funny. Consider those kids whose parents cannot attend or cannot write in English! The target parents of RC are some how limited to those who are well educated, willing to spend $100,000 a year and still have free time to grow with the kids.

[ 本帖最後由 cmhui 於 09-6-16 14:54 編輯 ]

12#
發表於 09-6-16 01:57 |只看該作者
DGS vs RC, that's apples vs oranges.

What do you like?

One is a traditional, top brand local girls' school. One is a ESF private ind school that is intl' stream..... can't more more extreme in terms of both choices.

Ultimately, it depends whether you want to try the local system and push your child to her max potential, it might bloom, or it might blow up in your face.

You know your child best, is she the competitive type? Can you push her? Can you force her to take on challenges? Is she a free spirit? Or is she very obedient and responsible?

Hard to answer.

However,if you are at all interested in DGS, and was accepted, my advise would be, try it for 1 year, you will then know how your child suits this school, if she doesn't want to stay DGS, no matter where you go, coming out of DGS, she will easily be accepted into many good int' l school.

just my opinion.

13#
發表於 09-6-16 08:52 |只看該作者
I am wondering what is the chance of being accepted by DGPS for ESF students?  Are we talking about the wish list, possibility or just a topic for general discussion?  

My child is going to one of the ESF regular school.  She practically dream of that school for a long time.  It would be a disaster to ask her to change, especially after she gets to know all the friends and teachers there.  I used to have my child transferred directly from the US to Hong Kong regular school at the age of 7.  It didn't work because he becomes an eyeshore in local English class.  So, we have to transfer him back to a regular IS, amid reluctlantly.  

It is really tough for us as a parent when the local educational system is falling in dismal.  (A big thank you to the Educational Department.)  If I were in Singapore, I would have no doubt to send my kids to their local schools.  Tough choice!

14#
發表於 09-6-16 10:45 |只看該作者

Go for it!

Go for it. It is not easy to get accepted by DGS so your daughter must be special in the first place.

Even if she did not fit in she could move onto another school in HK with that record behind her. Furthermore, if no IS places available then go abroad for truely international scene.

15#
發表於 09-6-16 11:50 |只看該作者

16#
發表於 09-6-16 12:40 |只看該作者
I am very curious.
I would like to know how many of those who suggested DGS has first hand experience with the school?
(Not here to discuss whether RC or DGS is better. But very curious why everyone in Hong Kong thinks DGS is the best.)

17#
發表於 09-6-16 15:28 |只看該作者

18#
發表於 09-6-16 15:47 |只看該作者
When I suggest the girl may stay in DGS for 1-2 years, I merely don't want to discourage those who had tried so hard to gain a seat in DGS.  It's one of their dream schools, so why not let them take it and have a feel of it so that they would have no regret in the future. It is good to have chances to experience different cultures. Good schools always opened their doors to good students.

19#
發表於 09-6-16 15:49 |只看該作者
come back to the topic la...  

local famous school DGC vs IB Pioneer RC.  

But why don'y anyone try to consider the kid?    Both school are good, but which is better for the kid?  If you want to have more rich classmate, and to show off in front of friends and relatives, DGC satified the needs most....Or try CIS or GSIS ... they are very good school with only riches.  

Local school - informative one-way learning, required a kid with very hard working, patient and very high level of discipline... also very high involvement of parents are required.

IB (International school) - an inquiring basis interactive learning, just the oppsite to local school.  Kid are required to be more active, and curious, high level of self-discipline and awareness are required to follow wider and freer path of learning.  No fixed line to follow and parents might feel confused if their kids are learning well.

The character of the kid should be the point of consideration as both schools are very good.

20#
發表於 09-6-16 16:10 |只看該作者
原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-6-16 15:28 發表
I am also very curious whether it is necessary to have first hand experience before we can comment on something.

Do we need to try the drugs before we can comment whether they are harmful to our heal ...

No need to be defensive. :)

The reason is that, it seems that everyone in Hong Kong says DGS is the best girl's school. But few every provide why they said so. Did these people have had children studying in DGS and therefore know that it is good? Is it just that everyone else says it is good, so it has to be good?

I was not challenging anyone. But really want to know how they came up with their comments.

My niece has been with DGJS since P1. She is now in P3.
My sister find it hard to explain to he daughter why something happens at school. Some very fundamental values are very twisted. I am not talking about people being snobbish, or people being pigeon eyes etc. These are no longer huge problems when compared to the fundamental values of my concerns.
At the same time, I have other nieces and nephews in other local elite schools and non-elite schools. I do not want to comment on each of the schools, but amongst so many local schools, I would say DGS is the last one I like.
I know very little about RC, and I know just so much about DGJS. So I would not be able to compare really fairly to say which school is better.

[ 本帖最後由 nintendo 於 09-6-16 17:09 編輯 ]
‹ 上一主題|下一主題