教育王國 討論區 國際學校 關於英基的質疑(來自英基家長)
發新帖
查看: 73927|回覆: 8
go

關於英基的質疑(來自英基家長)   [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 14-10-17 20:31 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 wangdua0625 的帖子

I am a previous ESF parent. My kids (two) entered ESF kindergarden, primary school and middle school.
I think you misunderstand that ESF schools have high academic level and are eager to teach and push students.
On the opposite, they are quiet liberal and relaxing. My kids did enjoy very much in their childhood in ESF school.
Since I am a local Chinese, I am aware I need to give extra English supplement for my kids. Mandarin is poorly taught, so extra tuition is needed. ESF schools are popular among HK parents for various reasons. I summarise some points as following:

Advantages--English medium of teaching
                   --cheaper
                   --less homework
                   --better facilities
                   --IB course
                   --internationally mixed students

Disadvantages--non-selective (apart from English)
                       --higher turnover rate of teachers
                       --not academically focused
                       --many local parents with tradition strategy/studying method
                       --many students with special needs
                       --need to pay extra-curricular activities
                       --many bright students underachieve

My daughter realised the problems in year 7 and asked to go abroad. I discussed with her and monitored the school for one and finally agreed to let her go. I experienced some unhappiness when I found my daughter's school was not supportive. Same problem happened again when my son left the school.

Choosing ESF is the result of chid's character, parent's expectation, change in society and past school record.
No school is perfect. But I am sure ESF kindergarden and primary school are good for potential students.

點評

YauMum  Comments  發表於 14-10-21 19:11
YauMum  My ESF parents made similar co   發表於 14-10-21 19:10

2#
發表於 14-10-17 21:31 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 happyhealthymin 的帖子

My kids went to UK. Their schools are academically selective . Compared with ESF, the main differences are following :

--personally more independent
--adequate P/E and game time
--more effective learning in class (teachers teach in more details)
--more discussion and exchange of idea in class
--teachers are highly qualifield
--well mixed international students
--many social clubs
--big music department and many shows and performance
--big sport field and better facilties
--teachers' comments are mostly constructive
--3 reports per year to assess progress
--adequate homework with better feedback
--less dependent on computer work
--classmates are mostly smart
--longer school time
--higher school fee
--feel better and close communication with parents
--emails are promptly replied

However, their schools need high self-discipline and high motivation. Not every student is suitable.

3#
發表於 14-10-18 10:26 |顯示全部帖子
I know some parents with local mindset actually turn ESF schools into "battle field". They boost their kids with extra tution and try to donminate in school activities. They look down on students with different talents or silent character. They always complain about progress, teachers and school. They always compare ESF with local elite schools. So sadly, ESF schools (especially secondary) are no longer happy place for cheerful and potential students.

4#
發表於 14-11-11 10:16 |顯示全部帖子
英基是有資源把敎學做得便好,只是管理層太多人,不想改變,便不讓家長知道真相。十年前參加旅行團,有個團友(在英基總部做行政)說英基花了很多錢在總部,所以他的子女只會選讀直資學校,因為比較經濟及合理。我當時也不明白,直到子女在英基讀了多年才明白!
現在英基的學費不算貴,但老師要應付三十,不同能力,不同集中力的學生,實在很難敎得好!
我想英基總部的支出可以減少,學校的敎學管理是有空間改善。

5#
發表於 14-11-12 09:42 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 猪猪侠 的帖子

So called ISA can not give you true picture of your children because it depends on the samples of comparison. As parents, we want to know whether their skills are suitable among the peers in similar environment like in Hong Kong. It is meaningless to compare with those in other less developed countries or rural areas. Don't be fooled by the word "international". I guess the result will make most parents happy with their kids's progress and skills in ESF !

6#
發表於 15-1-14 17:20 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 Julybabe 的帖子

Teachers say it will be more fair that everyone should be equal. Standing out from the rest is not encouraged. Therefore bright students are not encouraged to do better. There is no formal appreciation for those who excel in particular area. My kids' school in the past would reward bright students  with formal appreciation e.g. student of the year. Now no more formal appreciation. This is particular sad for bright students who want to do better. Therefore motivation for them is low and they will under-achieve eventually.

7#
發表於 15-1-14 20:46 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 Julybabe 的帖子

Of course, principal and teachers will recognise and appreciate when students get prize in sports or open examination e.g. IGCSE. Usually, students will have photos in school news. However, the problem is there is not much support  or training from school.
Private ESF schools will be better to offer scholarships to push up academic performance.

8#
發表於 15-1-14 20:47 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 Radiomama 的帖子

You are right for private ESF schools like RC.

9#
發表於 15-1-15 19:09 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 Julybabe 的帖子

You can check their school website, e.g. IB result or university destination for students.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題