密      碼:
搜索
發新帖
查看: 12650|回覆: 7
go

HKIS [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 14-5-20 19:06 |顯示全部帖子 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
We just got an offer from HKIS Reception One. It's not an easy decision though. Really appreciate it if parents on this forum could provide some insights. We have two concerns. 1. HKIS's Chinese program. How is it compared to other IS? How well will the students be able to read and write Chinese? 2. HKIS is an expensive school. Are we getting what we are paying for? What are the advantages of getting into the school? what strengths the school processes that justify its high tuition? Many thanks!
   3    0    0    0

2#
發表於 14-5-22 00:17 |顯示全部帖子
thank! does anyone know about the qualities of teachers?

3#
發表於 14-5-22 15:25 |顯示全部帖子
Thank you, everyone, for your input! Really appreciate it!
re hkparent: my partner has a postgraduate degree from an Ivy League university.

what is the reasonable percentage educational expenses should account for in the overall household income? We know education in HK cost money. And we are willing to pay for our child's education. But we want to keep it managable.

4#
發表於 14-5-22 23:36 |顯示全部帖子
annie40 發表於 14-5-22 20:08
I don't know what to say. It is  the only international school in HK that my hubby prohibited  my da ...
Really sorry to hear about this. It must be some kind of traumatic experience. Parents only want the best for their children. Your husband must have enough personal reasons to decide against the school. If you don't mind, can you say in general terms what was it that bothered your husband so much? Was it about student conduct? or the conduct of the faculty? was it an individual case or a wide-spread phenomenon? Did the school authorities deal with the problem promptly and impartially? I realised the issue might be kind of private. So feel free to share as much or as little as what makes you comfortable. Your husband is an alumni of HKIS, right?

5#
發表於 14-5-24 14:13 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 sh00 於 14-5-24 22:57 編輯

re annie40: due to campus redevelopment, some of the lower primary students in Repulse Bay are relocated to tai tam campus. Students staying in Repulse Bay are mostly walkers. Their families live in the neighbourhood.

re Shootastar: "After all, school is an epitome of the society." - can't agree more!

I believe in the end we can't rely on the fear of reprimand and punishment to keep a child away from troubles. It is the belief in the intrinsic value of a clear conscience which one needs for judgement and strength, and the power of self-control that steer a child from dangerous waters. Empowering a child with good judgement and self-control is one of the best gifts parents can give a child. After all, parents and teachers won't be around forever to teach a child right and wrong and oversee her/his every step in life. I know it is easier said than done. And we are still learning to put these thoughts into action (for our child and ourselves as well)!

And thanks a lot for sharing the programs in HKIS! What is ECA?

also, I did some digging. Looks like HKIS has hired someone from China to supervise their Chinese language and culture program. She came on board in 2012.

here is her profile
http://www.hkis.edu.hk/about/leadership-team/profile/index.aspx?linkid=22&moduleid=87

6#
發表於 14-5-25 20:44 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

I think you should go to the interview to have a feel of the school. You've already paid the application fee. And remember the questionnaire? It sure gave us quite a headache when we tried to fill it out. For Reception One 2014-15, HKIS received over 400 applications competing for 144 seats.  (just to compare: among over 800 applicants to CIS' reception class, about 2/3 were offered an interview. And 88 were offered a place in the reception class in the end). The children were interviewed in one of the reception classrooms. And there are silk worms in a corner! Some silk worms are busy making cocoons. Some are munching on leaves. I think it is very cool to let the kids have a "class pet" at school! This is definitely a plus in my mind.

7#
發表於 14-5-26 10:25 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 sh00 於 14-5-26 10:26 編輯

回覆 wiman 的帖子

sorry, wiman, I don't know about these two schools. Maybe some parents on the thread can help you with CDNIS? Or contact their admissions office. I am sure they have the numbers you need. Sorry!

8#
發表於 14-5-26 17:19 |顯示全部帖子
Shootastar 發表於 14-5-26 16:39
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

jolalee
Thanks for sharing, Shootastar. This is very useful information. I tend to look at "parents'  legacy" as a compound factor. That is, legacy is usually highly correlated with other factors that influence one's education attainment (e..g, family income, parents' education, even race/ethnicity, etc.). This means when we look at the legacy admission ratio, we are not looking at the isolated effect of legacy on admission. There are many other factors at work. Maybe I am complicating the issue too much. It looks like a topic for a book. Anyway, I've learned a lot in this thread. Thanks everyone for contributing.

點評

Shootastar  Can't agree more.  發表於 14-5-26 18:56
honeybunny7  agreed  發表於 14-5-26 18:18
‹ 上一主題|下一主題
返回列表
發新帖