原帖由 i_love_pampers 於 14-07-09 發表
K2 mon to thr 3樣,fri 5樣,放長假有一本假期功課!

3#
發表於 14-10-6 11:01 |顯示全部帖子
after spending one year in there (PN), I think it is average at best

4#
發表於 14-10-13 09:09 |顯示全部帖子
licpd 發表於 14-10-11 00:06
have friends studied there before, comments the same. I've seen their text books and curriculum info ...
Finally someone agrees with my point of view (honestly I am a little surprised).  Pushing information to a kid kills his creatively and problem solving skills and his desire to explore (even if he can learn the stuff when the information is pushed to him).  Learning through play is much better in the long run in my opinion (that's one of the reasons why Chinese people are way ahead in secondary school but westerners become better when research etc is needed in university in my opinion).  When you are used to getting information pushed to you (you will remember and know it but when it is tweaked a little bit then you get lost and don't know what to do), then you lose the ability to be creative and suddenly get lost when instruction is not provided to you (i.e. losing the ability the think and solve problems).

點評

licpd  schools  發表於 14-10-13 13:45
licpd  speechless about todays local    發表於 14-10-13 13:45

5#
發表於 14-10-13 12:50 |顯示全部帖子
My son had his hands behind his back when he was walking last year.  And whenever he was close to the wall, he would put his hands behind the back when he stood next to the wall.  

Luckily he doesn't do that anymore after leaving LH (I always think people look and act like robots when they do that - again my opinion only).  Finally he prefers to sit on the floor more when he plays.  He is more outgoing and is not afraid to speak his mind anymore.

"...I won't do it because I am afraid I will get punished..."  That's fear, not respect.

6#
發表於 14-10-13 15:40 |顯示全部帖子
licpd 發表於 14-10-13 13:40
你講出來唔知有幾多家長收到。 家長總送錢去接受這樣的教育,真系令這樣的學校以爲做對了。 ...
Everyone has a different point of view.  I am not here trying to challenge others.  I just want to share my experience and my opinion.
I prefer creativity instead of memorization (even if the kid seems to be 'not learning as fast').  I prefer problem solving instead of being provided with a solution to remember (even if it takes longer for the kid to figure it out - something which may not be popular in say Primary school interview).

7#
發表於 14-10-13 17:19 |顯示全部帖子
HC-Mum 發表於 14-10-13 17:06
其實我自己而言,不是追求學術識幾多字才考LH的。我是喜歡她的活動教學,語景及家校溝通而選擇她的
入學後 ...
Just want to know what your opinion is.
Do you think it is too early to learn how to recognize Chinese characters at the age of 2+ (no matter if it is 'game' or 'forced')?

My opinion:  a kid will eventually learn (or remember) the stuff if he is given the information and being repetitive all the time (even if the stuff is too difficult for his age).  But over developing the brain too early is not healthy for the kid in the long run (in the short term it might get a praise or two - if that's what you are aiming for (ex: getting ready for Primary school interview)).

8#
發表於 14-10-13 17:33 |顯示全部帖子
Anyways, back to the original topic:

LH has had a very good reputation regarding the language learning environment.  But after spending one year (PN) in there, we found that it is just average at best.

- we were wondering:  if the language environment is so good, then why would so many parents still sign up for extra English lessons during the weekend?
- my son actually picked up a lot of bad pronunciation / accent (need constant correction at home)
- we heard A LOT of Chinglish from students (ex: shuttle bus -> SHUTTO BA,  no -> NO AR, go -> GO LA, etc)

9#
發表於 14-10-13 22:21 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:HC-Mum 的帖子

it is more of a question actually.

I heard good reputation regarding the LH language environment before.   So we were wondering why many parents sign up extra weekend English lessons for their kids.

點評

cpc608  Maybe it's just because paren   發表於 14-10-18 02:18

10#
發表於 14-10-15 08:36 |顯示全部帖子
PinguLinusLee 發表於 14-10-14 22:34
貼番條題目答:學之園的英文程度。我都認識幾個學之園讀既小朋友,有在學亦有己經畢業,聽他們平日講英文是好 ...
Agreed.  That's what I was trying to point out.  There are a lot of Chinglish involved unfortunately.  Our son's English pronunciation regressed after 1 year in LH (back to normal after getting away from there after 3 months).
But yes I agree that LH kids are not afraid to speak in English (if that's what you are looking for then the 'English level' should be satisfied in that case).

11#
發表於 14-10-16 00:01 |顯示全部帖子
one more thing to consider.

The staff turnover rate is very high (especially the Lohas Park campus) if it is a concern for you.

12#
發表於 14-10-16 08:59 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 victoryu19 於 14-10-16 09:01 編輯
kissobaby 發表於 14-10-16 01:41
我諗只有用家先比較清楚,係夠膽講定發音準唔準

From what I have seen, the pronunciation is average at best (as I mentioned, I heard 'shuttle bus -> SHUTTO BA', 'table -> TAE-BO', 'I know -> I LO', 'my name is -> MY LAM IS', etc).  Chinglish is everywhere too.
If you care about how many words they can learn, then you will be satisfied (they teach a lot of words and some of them are quite difficult).  If your aim is to 'provide a good English learning environment for the kids to speak well', then you could be disappointed.

13#
發表於 14-10-16 10:24 |顯示全部帖子
kkqueendom 發表於 14-10-16 10:05
我不是學之園家長,但容許我多事講句,pronunciation正唔正呢樣野,唔好推晒去學校身上,作為家長,自己都有責任 ...
Yes that's true.  That's why I had to correct my son's pronunciation all the time last year (his pronunciation was much better before going to LH).  
I am lucky enough to be able to speak 'close to native' English so I can correct him while speaking English at home.  But for the parents who rely on the school to teach the kids English (when you promote yourself as 'having NET teachers'), then I would say the schools should be responsible for correcting Chinglish etc too.

But to me, having accent is acceptable.  But Chinglish everywhere in school may not be a good idea (ex: no wor, take this la, etc).

14#
發表於 14-10-16 17:39 |顯示全部帖子
bubuG 發表於 14-10-16 17:34
大家對「神校」一詞有不同見解。
Is 「神校」 really that important?

For me (of course it is my opinion again only), finding a way to let the kid develop at the right pace and give him the opportunity to explore and discover knowledge is more important than learning too much too early just to handle Primary school interviews.

15#
發表於 14-10-18 22:55 |顯示全部帖子
cpc608 發表於 14-10-18 02:28
回覆 victoryu19 的帖子

Sorry - after reading pages of your comments. I am really curious - where is ...
He is currently studying at Etonhouse.
If we can choose all over again, we would have either stayed in DMS or gone to Greenville for PN last year.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題
返回列表
發新帖