密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 不去考HKIS有損失嗎?
樓主: jolalee
go

不去考HKIS有損失嗎? [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 15-2-16 15:39 |只看該作者
My wife and I have different opinions on certain education matters. My experience is that it is better to have parental consensus rather than agree to differ. There are too many unknowns here. A higher ranking school may have better record but will your child necessarily perform "better"? Chemistry, luck and effort may play more important roles. Your husband may have his own views. What is the price of a good marriage?

點評

jolalee  performance. Good point there!  發表於 15-2-16 17:26
jolalee  equate one's better performan   發表於 15-2-16 17:26
jolalee  Better ranking not necessary e   發表於 15-2-16 17:25

22#
發表於 15-2-16 15:51 |只看該作者

引用:My+wife+and+I+have+different+opinions+on

原帖由 4eyesDad 於 15-02-16 發表
My wife and I have different opinions on certain education matters. My experience is that it is bett ...
Agree. Having a mutual agreement on child education is also critical for a family. Here, One might suggest go to have a try first. But I tend to obtain a yes from your hubby before you are trying. This is what I have done too. I will tell my hubby every step I am doing for my children. If he objects, I will not insist.

點評

jolalee    發表於 15-2-16 17:20

23#
發表於 15-2-16 15:52 |只看該作者

引用:Quote:原帖由+4eyesDad+於+15-02-16+發表My

原帖由 lui 於 15-02-16 發表
Agree. Having a mutual agreement on child education is also critical for a family. Here, One might s ...
I will also obtain his approval on all ECA they are taking too. It's not about the money. Just a respect.

24#
發表於 15-2-16 15:59 |只看該作者

回覆:foolish.mom 的帖子

Yes, HKIS is strong in university placement.

25#
發表於 15-2-16 17:07 |只看該作者
lovecasey 發表於 15-2-16 08:51
Just go, u paid the fee and don't waste the oppuntinity . Treat it as a school visit. Explain the im ...
Canceling an important business trip so that he will attend a school interview which he doesn't even want his son to go to? I think that's a bit of a stretch.

26#
發表於 15-2-16 17:48 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 15-2-16 23:04 編輯

Thank you for all your view points and suggestions. I know that when I post this thread, some will think I'm not satisfied with what we have, although it is not true; that's okay, I expected it. I am surprised though at how many parents has similar thoughts as I do, that since we have applied already the year before, might as well have a go at it

I guess the key point is that my husband suddenly asked me to back off after hearing some negative comments about HKIS. I was actually the one who wanted CDNIS the most and academics is not my greatest concern (although still a big one). I know my husband; he wants an academically stronger school then CDNIS, but not doing any research himself he is now waving HKIS away. Putting up this post helps me get a better idea of what we're letting go of, given (as I mentioned earlier on) I don't have much ideas about American schools although I lived across the border for years

I conveyed some of the points mentioned here to my husband, and he quickly reverted to the idea of giving it a try. Perhaps the biggest obstacle is my own character, that I must learn to relax more and treat it as a casual visit more then anything.  Quite impossible for him to be present due to the business trip, so may as well make it a fun tour since the application fee wasn't cheap

27#
發表於 15-2-16 18:15 |只看該作者
jolalee 發表於 15-2-16 17:48
my husband suddenly asked me to back off after hearing some negative comments about HKIS ...

I conveyed some of the points mentioned here to my husband, and he quickly reverted to the idea of giving it a try ...
Well there you go, if he could change his mind after hearing some comments, he could change his mind again after hearing some more comments

點評

jolalee  I picked   發表於 15-2-16 18:27
jolalee  That's y he chose the skool I   發表於 15-2-16 18:27
jolalee  Exactly, I know my husband...  發表於 15-2-16 18:26

28#
發表於 15-2-16 18:21 |只看該作者

引用:+本帖最後由+jolalee+於+15-2-16+17:50+編

原帖由 jolalee 於 15-02-16 發表
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 15-2-16 17:50 編輯

Thank you for all your view points and suggestions. I kn ...
Yes, just relax and take it easy, 隨緣。

點評

jolalee  Thx   發表於 15-2-16 18:29

29#
發表於 15-2-16 22:16 |只看該作者

回覆:jolalee 的帖子

I'll chip in on the part about "big B" advantage.

In an exact situation like yourself, we moved from one int'I school to another. Our kid repeated K2 per se but there's nothing we can do because of the "qualifying dates" decided by the admission office.

Being the "big B", for whatever reasons, our kid became the natural leader in class for better or for worse. Confidence in general grew big time. Learning became "easy peasy". Made and get along with lots of kids in other classes (including slightly older kids). Very happy kid.

We were hesitant about the transfer initially but now, after more than halfway through the foundation year, we think this was an excellent decision made and the one extra year our kid has to catch up with peer of our kid's birth year is nothing compared to emotional and confidence boost our kid has experienced and enjoyed during early development years.

點評

jolalee  effects...  發表於 15-2-16 23:00
jolalee  Wondering about long term effe   發表於 15-2-16 22:59
jolalee  Thx! This sharing helps!  發表於 15-2-16 22:59

30#
發表於 15-2-16 22:23 |只看該作者

回覆:不去考HKIS有損失嗎?

Congrats, may you make the best of your visit.  Please keep us updated on progress.  I don't think being prepared and striving for the best is wrong.  I'd give it all I got in all shots I have, whether career, schools, or other things.  Just keep in mind best means 'best fit' not simple academic rankings nor simple reputation.

點評

jolalee  Progress updated. See new post   發表於 15-3-30 23:33

31#
發表於 15-2-16 23:16 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 15-2-17 07:37 編輯

回覆 Woojba 的帖子

Very true, Woojba, and I thought I've found the most fitting school for my boy when we moved him from Montessori to CDNIS. Wonderful parents with kids in both CDNIS & HKIS responded and one wrote to me (how kind!), describing the difference between the more structured AP program and the project based self-driven PYP-MYP program. Apparently IB would require more organization & self-governing, but comments from various teachers told me my son does thrive better when he sees others sit down and work quietly (he'd follow suit; left on his own he'd play all day). Perhaps the American curriculum would suit him better, I don't know. Better take the up coming interview seriously... :)

32#
發表於 15-2-16 23:31 |只看該作者

cool, may be AP has changed in recent years but back then it's nothing more than more advanced subjects that you can take in the last 2 years of high school?  I took some APs back then and they were just like any other classes, we just went and took the exams in May and got 4 or 5 and took credits in college.  No experiments or projects involved.  The credits weren't recognized in Canada (early 2000) but I got some nice credits in US.  May be that has changed again.

33#
發表於 15-2-17 07:34 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 15-2-17 07:46 編輯

回覆 Woojba 的帖子

Maybe I shouldn't have used the term AP up there (see how ignorant I am of the the American system?) I am talking about the primary and lower secondary program (PYP-MYP for IB and whatever you call it in the States; for ease of explanation we just call it the American curriculum). IB is a program quite different from when we used to go to primary and secondary school back home (that'd be in the Canadian curriculum for me since upper primary school). However even in primary and junior high we were used to doing group projects, but yes by senior high school it becomes more talk and chalk.

When I first visited CDNIS I fell in love because it felt like home. I'm familiar with the classroom setting, I know about OSSD (CDNIS is double diploma: IB + OSSD, the only school in HK that have this; makes applying to Cdn Uni much easier). It made CDNIS becoming my top priority because I felt I can relate to my boy. However, my husband took a look at the graduates details on the wall and he was not happy with where they were going. Not much professional degrees for those who went to top universities, he said. Anyhow he is happy with CDNIS when put together with the other options we had last year (ICS, ESF & IMS, due to various reasons including location, Chinese program and being a through-train school) That's why I was a bit surprised when he wanted me to decline the HKIS interview, since if Universiry placement is important to him then we should at least take a look at the school (CDNIS is the only school that I booked a tour to visit with him).

Anyhow, from various comments I got from around, I should be choosing primary school at this moment, and CDNIS primary is supposed to be pretty good. If the boy do well, then he can try for other schools if he and daddy wants to for secondary. I'm quite happy with a well rounded boy all the way to high school graduation at CDNIS.

I just received more info re the video games from a parent whose son transferred from CDNIS to HKIS (gaming is one of my big concern as I know my boy would love it if I let him touch it, which I won't, at least not now as he's only 4). Apparently HKIS bans video games in secondary school whereas CDNIS doesn't. I should go take a look at the CDNIS hallways and see if this issue is really that bad at CDNIS as she claimed (it's true though that I saw a high school student play video game at the back of a music class during our school visit). Anyhow this is not a determining factor when choosing school, but tidbits can fill in the details of a whole picture. Just thought this is an interesting piece of info to share :) (and verify)

34#
發表於 15-2-17 08:28 |只看該作者

引用:+本帖最後由+jolalee+於+15-2-17+07:46+編

本帖最後由 shadeslayer 於 15-2-17 08:47 編輯
原帖由 jolalee 於 15-02-17 發表
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 15-2-17 07:46 編輯

回覆 Woojba 的帖子
University placement is the winning post. Is it important?  Yes it is. But do we care about the journey to that winning post?  Yes I care about the journey even more.
Various aspects of schools are very difficult to compare. Many of the benefits and pros and cons are "perceived". Even if the pros and cons are real, does it mean your child will perform better at the marginally better school? Not necessarily.  Back to the basic question, which school offers the wholistic education you and your son appreciate more?

Sometime we got carried away when it comes to our loved ones education. We have to careful not to over-analyze and sweat over small things.  Good luck to whatever you decide to do.

The more bizzare a thing is, the less mysterious it proves to be.

35#
發表於 15-2-17 09:34 |只看該作者
Woojba 發表於 15-2-16 23:31
cool, may be AP has changed in recent years but back then it's nothing more than more advanced subje ...
應該沒大改變.  我兒讀IBDP, IB第一年(美制grade 11)的五月, 他自修3科AP(Physics, Psychology, Econ) 全拿了5.  是自修, 只在淘寶上買了些AP test guide之類來翻看.  他考的這三科AP也正是他的IB選科, 他IB固然也讀得好, 只不過, 給我的感覺確是AP較容易.

36#
發表於 15-2-17 12:35 |只看該作者

Anybody know what is the chance for AP grats to get into local uni? Is it true that local medics/law will not take AP grads? Just read from the other posts that someone needs to transfer back to IB system because of this concern.

37#
發表於 15-2-17 12:39 |只看該作者
回覆 964000 的帖子

Heard from my friend who is a lawyer that if law and medi graduates wanna work in hk, they would prefer to study in hk uni. If they study abroad, they need to take another conversion exam to get qualified same degree in hk and the conversion exam is very difficult.

38#
發表於 15-2-17 12:43 |只看該作者

引用:回覆+964000+的帖子 Heard+from+my+friend

原帖由 fatcni 於 15-02-17 發表
回覆 964000 的帖子

Heard from my friend who is a lawyer that if law and medi graduates wanna work i ...
Yes, that is why I am asking if AP is widely recognised for local U medics/laws admission.

39#
發表於 15-2-17 13:25 |只看該作者
964000 發表於 15-2-17 12:43
Yes, that is why I am asking if AP is widely recognised for local U medics/laws admission.
It is not the AP matter,  isn't oversea degree would have to go through the conversion program/ test to be admitted to local professional bodies,

40#
發表於 15-2-17 14:46 |只看該作者
回覆 964000 的帖子

I know a boy from HKIS who aims at entering HKU/CU medicine using AP and SAT results. So presumably the admission to HKU/CU medicine with AP happened before at HKIS.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題