樓主: jolalee
go

不去考HKIS有損失嗎? [複製鏈接]

101#
發表於 15-3-31 12:23 |只看該作者

引用:My+husband+cannot+decide+so+I+begged+and

本帖最後由 964000 於 15-3-31 22:35 編輯
原帖由 jolalee 於 15-03-31 發表
My husband cannot decide so I begged and begged for an extension. They were (unwillingly) stretching ...

I look through your old post, do you still want him to be big boy in HkIS? Or does he fare well as a small boy now?
CDNIS has better chinese programme? I think chi is very important nowadays and will be more so in the future.
Also the teacher said he is perfect for IB? That really count! (bTW how to tell in a toddler? I wish I know if it suits my 26m now)

102#
發表於 15-3-31 12:36 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 vinvinaa 於 15-3-31 12:39 編輯

My sister's daughter got a similar situation as you do 2 years ago.  Her daughter studies at SIS (equivalent to K2) back then and out of no where HKIS called her up said that is a spot and needed her to reply asap (think she even paid the deposit?).  She struggled so bad cause 1) many graduates from HKIS got great offer from top University in US.  2) she worried about the primary program at SIS is too intensive.  Me and her husband opted for HKIS due to the above reasons but at the end she chose to stay at SIS.  I asked her if she regrets now.  She said no cause deep down she wants her gal to study in an environment that is more focus on academic.  SIS is more close to her philosophy in this way.  Maybe you also want to think which school is more close to your philosophy?  I guess it is not a EC choice.

103#
發表於 15-3-31 13:36 |只看該作者
The level of Chinese offered in HKIs is less than CDNIS, is it one of the things you are concerned about?!

104#
發表於 15-3-31 14:34 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 15-4-1 15:50 編輯
964000 發表於 15-3-31 12:23
I look through your old post, do you still wants him to be big boy in HkIS? Or did he fare well as a ...

Yes, natural big boy advantage at HKIS. I have talked to the VP and his home room teacher regarding the possibility of retaining him a year. Socially he is doing very well (quite popular indeed) and academically he is smacked in the middle for now. By the professionals' observations it would do him more harm in retaining him. If he goes to HKIS, then this issue resolves by itself as there are boys born in Sept & Oct who are still older then him but he won't be the youngest at all :) Anyhow, this is one issue of many, as age difference tends to level out by age 8-10, but true, i really wish he is an older boy in class.

In terms of Chinese, CDNIS is renown for having a great Chinese program (for the non-chinese). I do notice too, that although i am giving him additional tuition outside, he still revert to me about most of his Chinese learning from school (they even made a song out of the pen strokes using the Happy Birthday song!)  Compare to the strong bilingual schools like SIS, ISF & VSA of course it's far from it, but just right for my family. By Grade 1 when they stream the kids hopefully my son will be in the higher stream and the Chinese will become more difficult. The new Chinese centre will open soon in the coming months.  [btw, most of the Chinese teachers has no problem with the new HoS, who's the subject of scrutiny lately]

HKIS is not renown for their Chinese program, but it is actually not bad at all. A decade ago it was as good as CIS; just that CIS has upped their game since then. I heard that HKIS Chinese at the secondary level is difficult, but weak in primary. Anyhow HKIS & CDNIS are similar that they both provide Traditional & Simplified Chinese text learning depending on the student's streaming. In terms of Chinese i prefer CDNIS, but can live with HKIS given i'm going to supply additional tuition anyhow. My own Chinese is not good enough to teach my son beyond grade 4.

105#
發表於 15-3-31 15:54 |只看該作者
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

I seldom express my opinion here but when I looked at your previous reply --> "on the other hand his teacher said he fits the IB profile perfectly" --> my immediate response is by far how you believe and trust what his teacher said. If you really believe his teacher is professional and an expert in assessing a young boy then actually the answer to your choice of school is very obvious. If your son can excel under the IB system forget about anything else of the schools such as reputation and academic results. Of course if you have doubts it would be another story.

106#
發表於 15-3-31 19:32 |只看該作者
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

There should be exceptional cases. What I expressed is a general comment. The fact that your sister in law teaches at an Ivy college supports the general comment that if you want to be a scientist, USA education is a better choice,

點評

jolalee  Hm, point taken :)  發表於 15-3-31 22:00

107#
發表於 15-3-31 21:21 |只看該作者
HKIS

108#
發表於 15-3-31 22:05 |只看該作者

引用:If+you+to+be+an+Investment+baner,+the+od

原帖由 Shootastar 於 15-03-31 發表
If you to be an Investment baner, the odd is better if you graduate from an US College (I mean a top ...
oh, would you mind to share which high school your children go? is it in HK? Besides HKIS I only know ICS and AMS use american cirriculum? How do you compare US cirriculum to British cirriculum or IB? Appreciate your first hand experience sharing.

109#
發表於 15-4-1 00:47 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 Shootastar 於 15-4-1 01:02 編輯

回覆 happyhealthymin 的帖子

My two kid graduated from HKIS several year ago. At those days, their school fees were the highest amongst the high schools in Hong Kong. If you believe that education is a product and good products need payment, then you would get money for value. Academically, you can check their average performance in the scores of SAT I and Ii and AP. You can also check their college placements each year.
Siince HKIS was set up some 40 years ago,most good US and UK colleges, even Hong Kong universities recognise the education provided by it. If you internal GPA is good, it is quite easy to pursuade the top college to give offers to you. of course you need good SAT scores as well as good recommendations for your guidance counsellor and teachers.

Since the school fee is high, they can employ more teachers so as to keep the classes small. In high school, the English class is the largest, but not exceed 25. For other subjects, the class size is about 20. Because it has money, the teaching aids and equipments are Up to date and advanced. There are a number of opportunities given to the students for different inrTerests - sport, musical, arts, services and others. So long as you can make use of the opportunities available, it is quite easy to demonstrate to the admission officers of interest and the intensity of your commitment. Those are part of the essential factors to be taken account when your application for admission is comsidered by the admission officer.

However, I have to caution that it has drug and sex problem which at those days were quite prevalent. Hosever such problems exist in other international schools, they also exist in local schools. So long as you can keep an eye on your kids this regard, there should not be problem.

110#
發表於 15-4-1 00:58 |只看該作者
回覆 happyhealthymin 的帖子

Since my two kids take the U.S. education curriculum, I do not have much knowledge about IB or A-Level. That is why in other post, I suggest the reader to google the co parison of IB and A-Level. I have read at 3 good articles concerning the comparison of these two systems. Try it yourself.
For your I formation each year there are about 120,000 to 150,000 students take the IB, about 450,000 to 500,000 takes A-Level and abot 3.0 million students takes AP. So I can say that US education system is widely acceted by colleges outside USA. As a matter of fact, both of my kid did not go to US colleges after graduation. One studies at UK for law and one study medicine in Hong Kong.

111#
發表於 15-4-1 01:09 |只看該作者
回覆 1992英语baby 的帖子

My personal opinion is HKIS good for my kids. However., I have no doubt that it may not fit some of other kids. There are other great schools in Hong Kong such as CIS, CDNIS, GSIS, ESF, Li Po Chun, DGS, St, Paul Co-ed, DBS, La Salle, Qc, BPS ( not in priority order) to fit different kids.

112#
發表於 15-4-1 01:13 |只看該作者

回覆:不去考HKIS有損失嗎?

If I remember correctly , you are a Christian. ( mentioned at Ics post) Why not hand this over to God? He prepares the best for us. In our everyday life we keep planning , thinking, evaluating with our own wisdom but neglecting Gods willing. May be you could pray and ask for confirmation. Ask for wisdom and peace. God bless

113#
發表於 15-4-1 06:25 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 15-4-1 19:18 編輯

回覆 imconfusing 的帖子

Thank you, we keep praying about it. We have peace (and stress ) for both schools. I think God let ppl choose the path they go, and at the end of the day it really matters very little to God which school one chooses. He will watch over ppl either way; this is not a moral or ethical issue. Thank you for reminding and encourage us though.

114#
發表於 15-4-1 07:41 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 15-4-1 07:45 編輯
blc_mama 發表於 15-3-31 15:54
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

I seldom express my opinion here but when I looked at your previous reply --> " ...

Thank you for your advice (on both sites), which really shrone a light in the midst of my cloudy thoughts! <big hug>.

To answer your question, yes even from my own observation of my own child and my understanding of IB, he does fit in quite well into the IB curriculum. Inquirer, compassionate, open-ended. He is the creative type who can be very focused when he is interested in a subject, but otherwise aloof and playful. I can see that in the long run, heavy essays will not deter him, but very factual subjects such as math might (not sure yet).

That said, the ultimate question I always ask is, should we put our child in a school that plays to his strength, or one that helps balance him out?

Anyhow, you have helped me made up my mind (by your comment on your other site). Thank you again!!

115#
發表於 15-4-1 08:01 |只看該作者

回覆:jolalee 的帖子

" That said, the ultimate question I always ask is, should we put our child in a school that plays to his strength, or one that helps balance him out? " --> I have another thought in this. If your son needs to exert 60% of effort to excel under IB curriculum, then he can use the remaining 40% to explore new things. On the other hand, if he needs 90% effort to do well in another curriculum he just have 10% of time for other things. In my opinion the first situation is even more balanced.

BTW, I think I am not the person who you think I am cos I just come to this forum for getting information

116#
發表於 15-4-1 08:37 |只看該作者

引用:回覆+1992英语baby+的帖子 My+personal+op

原帖由 Shootastar 於 15-04-01 發表
回覆 1992英语baby 的帖子

My personal opinion is HKIS good for my kids. However., I have no doubt th ...
Could you share more about what type of kids fit HKIS? I know it is not absolute but just for reference. Meanwhile, do you think a school is important than a cirriculum?

117#
發表於 15-4-1 09:17 |只看該作者
both of my kids switched th HKIS after completion of local primary schools. Academically, my son's performance was a little bit higher than the average while my girl could be classified as a top 15% student. My son was rather active and needed extra support from school. Because the school fee was high, they coule employ 3 educational psychologies (for primary, middle and high school). They had several teachers to form a support group. If you took their classes (learning skills), one teacher only took care for 2 or sometimes 1 student. I could not have any complaint about the facilities provided by the school.

I had no experience in other types of education systems except the local one ( where I came out). Since The US education system is well recognised by nearly all leading colleges in the world, I am quite convinced that US system is not my concern. I would choose a school which provide quality education to my kids.

118#
發表於 15-4-1 10:04 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 15-4-1 10:20 編輯
blc_mama 發表於 15-4-1 08:01
" That said, the ultimate question I always ask is, should we put our child in a school that plays t ...

Apologies for the mistake. Since the posts (on both sites) comment on the same point with reference to this forum, I mistaken you two as the same person. I have thanked the other mom too now. You are right, if he can excel in IB and achieve good results (fingers crossed), it would be better to keep him there and supplement the rest in a way that fits him as well. Like a seminar I went to few weeks ago, the internationally renown speaker did point out that for the highly successful people, they all have about just 3 key strengths (amongst 11 traits) in order to do well in life. 先拔尖,後補拙 ;)

119#
發表於 15-4-1 10:53 |只看該作者

引用:+本帖最後由+jolalee+於+15-4-1+10:20+編輯

原帖由 jolalee 於 15-04-01 發表
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 15-4-1 10:20 編輯
True. Many ppl have a thought to supplement the inferior parts which is not right. One should look into the superior parts and enlarge it. Hope you have chosen the best for your son. Even not now, you can always change.

120#
發表於 15-4-1 11:02 |只看該作者
jolalee 發表於 15-4-1 10:04
Apologies for the mistake. Since the posts (on both sites) comment on the same point with reference ...
So what is your decision? My son also got in and will start in Aug 2015.  

點評

jolalee  Sorry, now #124.  發表於 15-4-1 17:17
jolalee  See post #123 :)  發表於 15-4-1 17:16
‹ 上一主題|下一主題