用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 如果10歲就一定會回流返canada,咁應該點選擇好呢? ...
查看: 5179|回覆: 45
go

如果10歲就一定會回流返canada,咁應該點選擇好呢?

發表於 14-4-23 15:25 |顯示全部帖子
老公是Canadian, bb七月出世,會自動入加藉。為左小朋友,決定會10年後回流返Canada比小朋友係canada升學。
咁到底係香港呢段時間,係咪一定要比佢入讀IS? 我想bb有個快樂童年,本身亦唔喜歡田鴨式教育,姪女全部係canada返學係好開心,language 好又creative。係咪只有IS 先會用活動教學?如果英文私校如維多利亞,係咪上到小學都會跟返普通小學咁谷學生架?
由於初為人母,乜都唔識,希望大家可以比下意見。

發表於 14-4-23 15:58 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:如果10歲就一定會回流返canada,咁應該點選擇好呢?

我跟你想法好相似!本人跟先生都係Canadian, 兩個小朋友自動入籍!大仔九月升k1, 依家attending local Intn'l kg, 之前 still struggling local 定 IS k1!! 因幸運地小兒考入esf, 聽說esf kg is a happy school, for sure 有一個愉快童年,I hate 填鴨式too, and believe 啟發思考 would be more useful than everything!! 況且在他五至六歲左右都打算回流返加國讀書!眼見人家的小朋友每日放學後學東學西,回家後做功課做到十一、二點,那怕小朋友未到小一已經吾想返學、對學習冇興趣!加上在職教育界的朋友們力勸之下,最後決定選讀IS!!
這只是個人分享,希望有助你參考!

發表於 14-4-23 16:08 |顯示全部帖子

引用:我跟你想法好相似!本人跟先生都係Canadian

原帖由 HelloNBaby 於 14-04-23 發表
我跟你想法好相似!本人跟先生都係Canadian, 兩個小朋友自動入籍!大仔九月升k1, 依家attending local Intn ...
真好,有人同自己想法接近,可以一齊傾下。
請問你有無做咩plan等小b可以入到ESF 幼稚園?如果一早入佢地play group, 會否幫助入幼稚園?

發表於 14-4-23 16:21 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:oneonemama 的帖子

I would go the IS route regardless whether you are returning to Canada or not.

發表於 14-4-23 16:24 |顯示全部帖子
Similar to us.

We are Canadian and will likely send our son back to Canada to continue his education after primary school.

He is currently attending local school (PN) but it is an absolute disaster in my opinion.  We will be switching to IS for K1 on September.

發表於 14-4-23 16:28 |顯示全部帖子

引用:Similar+to+us.We+are+Canadian+and+will+l

原帖由 victoryu19 於 14-04-23 發表
Similar to us.

We are Canadian and will likely send our son back to Canada to continue his educatio ...
Some people said it is very difficult to get into IS k1 from local PN, is it true?

發表於 14-4-23 18:38 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:oneonemama 的帖子

My son had attended Intn'l play group while he was 1 yr old til 1.5yr. Then he is attending local Intn'l PN now. As what I said, to me, he is so lucky to get an offer from IS K1, since he is a August baby. I have consider if I continue to keep him to study in local school coz I want him to learn more Chinese before back to Canada. But as I observed all around and know from his teacher that they will start to 谷小朋友 in K1下學期,to me (studied in Canada before), can't accept this 失去童年的填鴨學習!!So lastly I choose IS K1!!

發表於 14-4-23 19:25 |顯示全部帖子

My nephew struggled in local school and at last went to Canada early this year by himself. His Chinese is ok but not sure if he could go thru DSE.

My boy is studying in IS and is happier than my nephew ( compare with their primary school life). Therefore I would say it's a right move.

However the life is not easy in Canada nowadays. Competitiveness all around!

發表於 14-4-23 22:37 |顯示全部帖子
I agree with what most people said here, and our family had decided on IS before the child was born. He just got accepted into my top school choice, after much effort in keeping him in an English speaking environment. Now that the dust has settled, like what most parents are be concerned about, my target now turns to ensuring that my boy can retain a fair amount of Chinese [speaking, reading & writing]. My friends back in Canada all spend most of their effort in teaching their kids Chinese as well.

Interestingly, my family immigrated to Canada when i was 10 years old (the target age for your child to move back to Canada). I went to a traditional local school in HK before then, where everything but the English class was taught in Chinese. As expected, i had a really hard time adapting to an English speaking environment, but just for about half a year. I survived and thrived, slowly gearing up and graduated high school with an A in English. I continue to enjoy the Chinese language. Given i had a solid Chinese education up to Primary 4 and a self-motivated interest, i kept my level of Chinese so I'm able to read well and write fairly. Most people find it a miracle that i can somewhat compose essays/stories in Chinese. If you ask me, being in a local school since birth was a key part to my ability to still do Chinese now.

If you opt for IS given you know your child will be educated in Canada from age 10 onwards, that ability to be able to do Chinese will probably be lost. Everyone's value is different so i'll leave the judgement to you. If i was able to choose my own fate, in terms of having a great childhood with a child appropriate education system versus the ability to retain Chinese, i'd say that is a super tough call even for myself.

Of course being in an IS isn't an end-all to having decent Chinese reading & writing abilities, but it is an uphill battle and something that you must take into consideration as well.

發表於 14-4-23 23:47 |顯示全部帖子
如果係好肯定好肯定十歲返加拿大, 應該在香港讀直資, 既可學中文又不會過於操練.

一句到尾, 過到加拿大, 想學好的中文, 唔係唔得, 而係好難, 配套要好夠先得. 除非不介意小朋友的中文水平吧!

發表於 14-4-24 00:08 |顯示全部帖子

引用:如果係好肯定好肯定十歲返加拿大,+應該在香

原帖由 torunpoland 於 14-04-23 發表
如果係好肯定好肯定十歲返加拿大, 應該在香港讀直資, 既可學中文又不會過於操練.

一句到尾, 過到加拿大,  ...
多謝大家嘅意見。
To be honest, LS is not my cup of tea, 我真係希望我小朋友係每日開心咁享受校園生活,而唔係每日做功課做到10-11pm
中文我要求唔高,我表弟妹係canada出世,只係canada一星期上一小時中文,屋企講中文,so far 佢地講係完全ok, 可以睇得明基本中文。我覺得世界語言始終係英文,將來小朋友會係咩國家發展都未知。
其實我係concern非傳統教育,是否一定得IS? 有無其他學校可以考慮

點評

jolalee  Isn't DSS part of the LS system ? Sorry I'm not very familiar with DSS   發表於 14-4-24 19:28
jolalee  Isn't DSS part of the LS system ? Sorry I'm not very familiar with DSS   發表於 14-4-24 19:27
torunpoland  that's why i suggested DSS.  發表於 14-4-24 17:13
jolalee  torunpoland: not really. Oneonemama only made up her mind not to be the child through crazy LS, but IS is not the only option, and that's why she started this thread: to explore the possibilities.  發表於 14-4-24 13:54
torunpoland  actually u've made up your mind.  發表於 14-4-24 07:15

發表於 14-4-24 00:10 |顯示全部帖子

引用:I+agree+with+what+most+people+said+here,

原帖由 jolalee 於 14-04-23 發表
I agree with what most people said here, and our family had decided on IS before the child was born. ...
For you boy, did he go to international PN?
I really want to know if we let our bb go to international PN, will it be much easier for him to get into IS k1?

發表於 14-4-24 09:41 |顯示全部帖子
I'm so happy that someone starts this thread because I'm on the same boat; and I'm glad to hear we're all thinking along the same line.
My son was in local international stream PN and now he is IS K1 with a strong mandarin support from school.  I'm also planning to bring him back to Canada when he is around age 8 or may be after primary school so that he can have a better grabs in Chinese.  I think that's what I'll set for him in education and I'll use his spare time (not overloaded with homework time) to enjoy the culture, family and activities in Hong kong while we are still here. I studied local primary school in HK and in my memory it is all about recite the textbook and going to school. So I don't want his childhool is filled with school and textbook either :)

However my other concern is when is the best time to bring him back so that he is more easier to adapt??  I'm not very familiar with Canada (Toronto more specific) primary school system.. which grade in your opinion is the best time for him to go back?

Thanks!

發表於 14-4-24 14:15 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 14-4-24 14:17 編輯
oneonemama 發表於 14-4-24 00:10
For you boy, did he go to international PN?
I really want to know if we let our bb go to internatio ...

Yes, we have decided on IS all the way, so he went to an international PN with only 2-3 canto speaking family within the entire kindie. I spoke English to my son from age 10 month - 2 years 3 months, so he is basically a native English speaker. That's because we were aiming for top through-train IS which are really hard to get into (those with high IB scores).

For your case it is different (and easier) since you are looking basically for a quality kindie+primary, and that the quality of Chinese is not too big an issue. In general the more chinese the school has, usually the more drilling & rote learning the school does as well. (i am sure there are exceptions, however).

Given you are looking for a happy & quality kindie+primary school, here are a few good suggestions:
> YCIS (Yew Chung): High school is bad but kindie & lower primary is amazing, especially on language acquisition and early childhood education.
> IMS: Wonderful Montessori teaching, but only if you are a Montessori fan yourself. Excellent overall academics, low chinese population.
> Private independent schools (PIS, but not to be confused with ESF-PIS): Victoria (IB), Kingston (IB), Anfield (UK) etc. Happy kindie, not sure about primary, but i am sure they are not as crazy as LS. Best to ask parents in Victoria if you are interested in that school; they do expect trilingual babies for K1/K2 interviews.
> Local 'happy' schools such as 蔡繼有 &陳守仁. I am not as familiar with those, but you can always find out more from others in the LS forums.

Hope this helps. If i left out other options, fellow parents please feel free to add to the list.

發表於 14-4-24 14:23 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 14-4-25 03:54 編輯
argump 發表於 14-4-24 09:41
I'm so happy that someone starts this thread because I'm on the same boat; and I'm glad to hear we'r ...

I like your line of thinking ;)

I think age 8 is good as they are still quite adaptable at this age but have already acquired sufficient memories of Asian culture in this city. I'd say anything from age 8-12 is good, given the aim is enough Chinese exposure here but not to a point it is hard to adapt to a foreign culture.

For kids growing up in IS though, i wouldn't worry at all, even if they graduate high school in HK, which is what our family aims to do.

發表於 14-4-24 14:40 |顯示全部帖子

IMHO, IS in HK provides better education than Public schools in Canada.

Even if I would send my kids for overseas education, Canadian Universities would not top my list.  Leave UBC and SFU and UofT to mainland immigrants.

發表於 14-4-24 16:11 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 argump 的帖子

Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) is covering Grade 9-12. It may be good to go before Grade 9 or wait until university stage.

發表於 14-4-24 16:40 |顯示全部帖子
We are planning to send our kid back to Canada when he is 12 or so (grade 7).

發表於 14-4-24 17:14 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 victoryu19 的帖子

What is your plan in Canada?  Public school or private school?  

發表於 14-4-24 17:41 |顯示全部帖子
It is unfair to say all local schools are pushy, well, at least at kindergarten level.  

I am a Montessori teacher myself so local pushy school is definitely not my cup of tea.  We moved to HK in 2012 and my son was accepted into a local happy school (medium of teaching is Cantonese).  He has settled well after some adjustment, which is understanding considered he went to a Montessori kindergarten in London.  

My son has leant some good Chinese and the amount of homework is very reasonable.  His school has their own teaching materials (in some ways similar to the Montessori ones) and I'm especially impressed with their Maths curriculum.  My son is in K2 now and he has 2 homework a day, which take him 10 mins to complete.  I think their school is quite interactive considering it's a local schools.  They spend time each day at their topic interactive area playing on their self chosen activities.  There are lots of open spaces which means my child is not locked in an air conditioned room all day.  

I decided to send my son to a local school is that I do not want him to pick up bad English, as my friend's child had.  My friend's child attended an local international kindy and spoke mainly English at home.  My friend's child's English had actually gone worse since he started school.  It was not the school's problem, he actually picked it up from the children of the school.  Since a lot of the children's parents were not native speakers and inevitably passed on some Chinlish to their children.  Filipino English is another problem.  My friend's child ended up speaking Chinlish and almost no Chinese.  I could barely understand him when I met him a few times before.  It was not until he started at IS that his English started to improve.
I would rather my child learn English from me (I speak to him in English now) and then learn some good Chinese at school.  Also, 3 hrs a day at school is not a long time (minus snack/toilet/going home time), just how can a school have enough time to teach Cantonese +  Mandarin + English properly everyday?

Another reason I sent my son to local school is that I really want him to learn some good Chinese.  My hubby can't read n write Chinese and he was disadvantaged when he was job hunting in HK.  We will move back to London in a couple of years' time so for me, learning some Chinese is very important now.  It is quite unlikely he will want to learn Chinese when he is in an English environment.  

I will try and apply some interactive local primary school for my son, although I have to say I do have a back up plan if he doesn't get into any of those.  After all we've all been through the local school system and have managed to learn some good English when we moved overseas.  But I have never met any BBC with good Chinese.

Please note that this is only my personal opinion. Do not get offended if you do not agree with my views.