用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Which is the best, famous, good International School ...
樓主: 龍鬚糖妹妹
go

Which is the best, famous, good International School in HK? [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 12-8-20 14:21 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 WYmom 於 12-8-20 14:23 編輯

回復 龍鬚糖妹妹 的帖子

ESF has no problem, what she referred is that they have very long waiting lists and priority is given to category 1 kids.. you can check ESF's website for their admission priorities to see if your kid qualify.
ESF is using UK cirriculum, if you want US system, the best one is HKIS.

22#
發表於 12-8-20 15:05 |只看該作者
回復 龍鬚糖妹妹 的帖子

I do not know why it charges so much. I think probably they use an US style management same as those in investment banks and large US corporations. They employ a number of learning experts and educational psychologists to support the students. Their students and staff ratio is very low. They have advanced equipments to teach and their teachers are well experienced IS teachers who are from US and other jurisdiction. They have good infrastructures. Apparently, those thing need money which come from school fees.

Is it worth? -- it is a matter for your personal judgment.

Whether or not it has a big name would depend on how you see this school.

23#
發表於 12-8-20 17:48 |只看該作者
龍鬚糖妹妹 發表於 12-8-20 00:04
I know nothing about the international schools in HK, except some names like ESF, YC..Like ESF, ther ...

If you can tell us what your criteria are, I think it will be easier for the moms here to contribute their ideas and info. Once you know what you want, you will be surprised that there are perhaps only a few schools which suit your preference.

24#
發表於 12-8-20 19:55 |只看該作者
WYmom 發表於 12-8-20 14:21
回復 龍鬚糖妹妹 的帖子

ESF has no problem, what she referred is that they have very long waiting li ...
Is it the case for most of the International Schools in HK?I heard that if English is not the first language, it's really hard to get in.
I like HKIS!

25#
發表於 12-8-20 19:58 |只看該作者
Shootastar 發表於 12-8-20 15:05
回復 龍鬚糖妹妹 的帖子

I do not know why it charges so much. I think probably they use an US style  ...
I visited their website I quite like the school!Think I should try to apply when my girl is 4 yrs old.

26#
發表於 12-8-20 20:01 |只看該作者
jellomama 發表於 12-8-20 17:48
If you can tell us what your criteria are, I think it will be easier for the moms here to contribut ...
Think US style is better, money & location do not matter, as long as it's good.It's good if they do teach Mandarin.

27#
發表於 12-8-20 21:28 |只看該作者
For you, it will be HKIS for sure.

28#
發表於 12-8-20 21:40 |只看該作者
Suggest that you do a school visit as well.  Different people feel differently about fame.  I personally don't think that the harder it is to get into a school, the better the school.  What matters is what is best for your child.  At 5 months old, I think it is a bit hard to tell which style of schooling best suits her.

Depending on when you plan to move back to the US, being in a US system may not matter as much.  If you do plan to move during high school, then going with a US system may be better.  But if you plan to move earlier, it matters less because you daughter will have more time to adapt.  Having been through both HK local and the US system myself, I think it matters very little because unlike the UK, there is no GCSE.  

One point that more conservative HK parents may not like - American girls tend to dress up and wear make up very early - as early as 6th to 7th grade.  I still remember my classmates coming to school wearing high heels with full make up and nail polish.  Dating and the boy/girl issues will also start earlier.  I don't know if it is acceptable in IS here under the American system.  

29#
發表於 12-8-21 11:21 |只看該作者
"One point that more conservative HK parents may not like - American girls tend to dress up and wear make up very early - as early as 6th to 7th grade.  I still remember my classmates coming to school wearing high heels with full make up and nail polish.  Dating and the boy/girl issues will also start earlier.  I don't know if it is acceptable in IS here under the American system. "
看到這点、我有感而発。 其実同所謂保守不保守没有関係。 我覚得是否適合場合去決定。 番学、就不想她門化到「行」哂LOR. 好似着了BIKINI,在POOL OR BEACH就OK,但如撘地鉄、就一定比人望。 Anyway, American culture...never my cuppa tea. 説到男女関係、現在的香港年青人、都好早DATING&有性経験GA LA。 不只於美国呢!!
Mighty
love you for you
自分に負けるな!!

30#
發表於 12-8-21 13:56 |只看該作者
龍鬚糖妹妹,

Welcome to Hong Kong!  As you can see, parents on this "International School" forum are very concerned about not doing rankings.  I do not mean to speak on behalf of the parents here, but I take that many of us actually dislike the "ranking" system among the Hong Kong traditional local schools - Band 1, Band 2, Band 3...etc.   It simply destroys a lot of kids' spirit.   

And this is the main reason we send our kids to International Schools - to get a more well-rounded, creativity nurturing, and tolerant for critical thinking academic environment.

Hence, when someone asks a question about 'ranking" or "best school" on International schools, we kind of react.  We parents in this forum strongly believe there are only "suitable" schools for our children, there is no such thing as the "best school"

On another note, I know of several couples (Japanese, Canadians, English) who actually choose to send their kids to local schools for primary education,  then plan to send them back to their home countries or International schools for secondary schools.  They figure it out they speak English at home anyway, and they are confident they can help maintain the English standards of the kids.  The major benefit is that the kids build a very good Chinese language standard.   This is something you might consider, given that you have the luxury always falling back to the US for further education.
(P.S. The Japanese family after 4 years of local school, they have had it, and switched to IS.  The Canadian and English ones are still hanging in there.)

We love to help, but we are allergic to Tiger Moms.

點評

iseult  說得太好了,謝謝 Fatrara!隨著MNE 的強推,相信更多這樣的"問題"會在這版走出來...  發表於 12-8-21 16:36

31#
發表於 12-8-21 16:35 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

32#
發表於 12-8-21 21:17 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 elmostoney 於 12-8-21 21:19 編輯

I think most HK parents would not agree a girl at age 12 or 13 wearing make up, nail polish and high heels to school EVERYDAY.  It's just not the occasion which most parents prefer their girls to dress up, isn't it?   I am not exaggerating, and it wasn't one or two girls but a significant percentage.  It is a fact in American schools - at least when I was in the US.  I am not against the US system in any way.  In fact, I also plan to send my kids to college in the US.

33#
發表於 12-8-21 21:26 |只看該作者
elmostoney 發表於 12-8-21 21:17
I think most HK parents would not agree a girl at age 12 or 13 wearing make up, nail polish and high ...
According to my observation to the 3 IS in Hong Kong adopting the US curriculum, few girls would make up and wear high heel shoes in attending schools. In fact, the students are required to wear uniform when they are in middle school. In case of high school, there are a set of criteria on the attire worn by girls and boys. I have no ideas the students in US because I was educated in Hong Kong. However, if the girls in US wears and make up in the way you describe, it is an American culture acceptable to the Americans. That is why you also plan to send your kis to college in the US.

34#
發表於 12-8-21 21:37 |只看該作者
college is different from junior high/ high school.  Even by high school (in the US, it starts as 9th grade = LS form 3), I think it's more acceptable than 6th or 7th grade.  

I think there are pros and cons in the culture/educational system in every country, depending on your preference.  But NO, I don't like my girl to dress up for school by 6th grade!  and I have no plans to send her to the US for junior high!  However, having been through that system myself, I do prefer the US over other countries.

35#
發表於 12-8-21 22:51 |只看該作者
My daughter is in grade 8 in one of the IS schools with American curriculum and they are all in uniforms , no nail polish. They don't have to tie up their hair and And many of them wear all black converse shoes. They look good.

36#
發表於 12-8-22 10:55 |只看該作者
teriyung 發表於 12-8-21 22:51
My daughter is in grade 8 in one of the IS schools with American curriculum and they are all in unif ...
Can you share what is the situation in the senior grades?
Do the girs make up and wear high heel shoes when they attend school? Do they kiss with boys in schools?
On the academic side, how do you rate your kid's school?
Does it provide an US education to your satisfaction?
Having balanced the pros and cons, would you feel safe to let your kid continue to study in the same school after she completes Grade 8 or you would arrange her to change to a new IS or a boarding school?

37#
發表於 12-8-22 14:18 |只看該作者
回復 龍鬚糖妹妹 的帖子

I went to a local school and please forgive me for my English. I do not quite understand the meaning of "the best, famous, good International School in HK." Are you looking for the "best" or are you looking for the "good"? Or are you looking for an international school which is both "best" and "good"?

點評

bobbycheung  Come on, 4eyesDad, don't be naughty.  :)   On second thought, 龍鬚糖妹妹 might be right.  The best IS in HK doesn't necessarily mean it is good cos there is a chance that all IS in HK sucks.  發表於 12-8-22 16:47

38#
發表於 12-8-23 01:48 |只看該作者
回復 Shootastar 的帖子

I remember when I was in grade 10, I also wore high heels in school. It was common. Some girls wore make up. Even if you ask me now, I don't feel anything wrong. For me it's culture. May be I have lower standard, i don't see anything wrong. They are fine kids.  I knew some studied very well.

點評

minirat  I couldnt agree more!  發表於 12-9-18 11:30

39#
發表於 12-8-23 04:08 |只看該作者
回復 elmostoney 的帖子

I don't agreed the harder to get in the better the school is as well, I just want to know the reality.My girl will probably be back to the states when she is in high school, so US system is better.
Wearing make up, nail polish in early age don't bother me at all... As long as being a good person does matter.

40#
發表於 12-8-23 04:20 |只看該作者
回復 Fatrara 的帖子

I agreed what u said too... But don't over react with the words ranking, best, good...As I mentioned before, universities in states do have ranking too, they even rank in different aspects!
Being a good person, choose the best for the children of course are more important.
But at my stage, I am just gathering info from expert moms statistically,
Got a brief idea of IS in HK, then by the time my girl needs to apply a school,
that is at least three years later, I am prepared.
I am not 100% confirmed that she will be in an IS, now is way too early to decide.

‹ 上一主題|下一主題