搜索
教育王國 討論區 海外留學 State boarding vs independent boarding
樓主: 1g2bmum
go

State boarding vs independent boarding [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 12-4-25 14:28 |只看該作者

回覆:HKdevil 的帖子

I don't like Cochester as over 50% boarding places are HK students.

22#
發表於 12-4-25 14:35 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 HKdevil 於 12-4-25 14:38 編輯

CPU1995, I think if you have only got one son and money is not your concern, then it does not really matter whether you send your son to ind or state boarding, but if you have more than one like me (i have three), then it really matter a lot. one year ind boarding for one child would equal to three state boarding a year. Besides, for those high ranking state boardings schools, they are just like those government band one schools in HK, e.g. marymount, maryknoll, La Salle or QC ...would you consider those schools bad?

Some state boarding schools even have bigger campus than ind ones, for example, Wymondham is 82 acres in size and offers large variety of activities including horse riding etc. No school in hk has that kind of size or offer that kind of activities. Boarding school generally is a eye opening and life long experience for the kids. I highly recommend it.

23#
發表於 12-4-25 14:46 |只看該作者
回復 Maynard 的帖子

http://www.crgs.co.uk/component/ ... 78-oxbridge-success

Check this out and you would agree that all are top universities they are going.

24#
發表於 12-4-25 14:50 |只看該作者
another one of high successful state boarding schools
Royal Grammar School
http://www.rgshw.com/default.aspx?id=86

25#
發表於 12-4-25 18:15 |只看該作者

引用:Colchester+Royal+Grammar+school,+check+t

原帖由 HKdevil 於 12-04-25 發表
Colchester Royal Grammar school, check this out
http://www.crgs.co.uk/
真是很好。

26#
發表於 12-4-25 20:25 |只看該作者

RE: State boarding vs independent boarding

回復 CPU1995 的帖子

This is the oxbridge rate for Reading School which amounts to about 16%

http://www.reading-school.co.uk/uploads/document/R80106_RS_Sixth_Form_Booklet.pdf

By the way, which year has your son applied for can you tell us pls? So that I can do the same for my son.

27#
發表於 12-4-25 20:27 |只看該作者
回復 CPU1995 的帖子

By the way, what is wrong with 50% of them are from Hong Kong? I do not know why you discriminated against Hong Kong students!

28#
發表於 12-4-25 21:47 |只看該作者
回復 CPU1995 的帖子

CPU 1995, i just got an email from Reading and it does not seem to be the same as you stated, it does need interview and exams...see below
------

Thank you for your recent email concerning entry into School for your son. I assume you are enquiring about entry in September 2013, if it is for 2012 then I regret that you have missed the entry tests and all places have now been offered and accepted.

For entry at 13+ into Year 9 in September 2013 your son will be required to sit an entrance test here in School on 11th January 2013, we will ask him to take papers in Mathematics, English and Science. I am attaching an application form, copy of our Admissions Policy, details of our fees and information about entry requirements for overseas students, which I hope will answer most of your queries.

There are several points concerning your enquiry that I need to draw your attention to.

·
We do not send papers abroad, it is School policy that all tests must take place here at Reading School.

·
We only offer weekly boarding. The boarding houses close every Saturday at 10.00am until Sunday evening. All students are required to go home or to a guardian every weekend. It is the responsibility of parents to organise a suitable guardian for their sons.

·
We are a state school, all students must be entitled to receive free education. I draw your attention to the attached document concerning entry requirements for overseas students.

If I can be of any further assistance to you please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Mrs N Douglas

Registrar

Reading School

E: [email protected]

T: 0118 935 3261 / 0118 901 5600 ext261

29#
發表於 12-4-25 22:29 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 Tommy 於 12-4-25 22:37 編輯

回復 1g2bmum 的帖子
1g2bmum,

I actually do not know Gordon’s School very much.  I just learn a little bit of Gordon’s from their website and prospectus.  I applied for a Year 10 place for my son in late October last year.  But, they replied me with a straight NO.  The Registrar told me their usual intake was in Year 7, 9 and 12.  By the way, what Year you applied for your girl?

I don’t have the dilemma that you and CPU1995 got because, as a 2bdad, I’m not able to afford additional $60,000 monthly expenditure in pursuit of a boarding place in an independent school.  As such, we only target on the state boarding schools.

After some search, school visits, skype interview and on-site interview, luckily my son was enrolled by a decent state boarding school.  Everything we saw and experienced in the school exceeded our satisfactory level.  We are very much content with it.  Most importantly, my son likes the school very much.

Tommy

30#
發表於 12-4-26 05:26 |只看該作者

引用:回復+CPU1995+的帖子 CPU+1995,+i+just+go

回復 CPU1995 的帖子

CPU 1995, i just got an email from Reading and it does not seem to be the same  ...
I trust that the application process for Year 12 is somehow different from those lower forms.

31#
發表於 12-4-26 05:44 |只看該作者

引用:回復+CPU1995+的帖子 By+the+way,+what+is

回復 CPU1995 的帖子

By the way, what is wrong with 50% of them are from Hong Kong? I do not know wh ...
Every year, Colchester will offer 15 boarding places for external students out of the 30 boarding places.  

As far as I know, more than half of these boarding places are occupied by Hk students as Colchester will admit many elite students from Hk thro Academic Asia every year.

I just want my son not immersed in the Cantonese speaking environment after school in the boarding house as the Hong Kong students would sure form a group in the sixth and seven forms,

In fact, my son' s classmate declined Colchester's offer with the aforesaid reason last year though it is the no. 1 state boarding school.

32#
發表於 12-4-26 11:41 |只看該作者

引用:回復+Maynard+的帖子 +http://www.crgs.co

回復 Maynard 的帖子

http://www.crgs.co.uk/component/content/article/42-articles/278-oxbridge-succes ...
一間年年有近30人入到劍橋牛津的唔冼學費的學校,就算日日返宿舍講中文都可接受。

點評

twolilmonkeys  I agree, those kids are already mature & smart, nothing wrong with mixing with your own kind , it's only a few hours, they do their homework most of the time.  發表於 12-4-27 01:16

33#
發表於 12-4-27 06:55 |只看該作者
Thanks everyone replies and sharing.

Tommy:  My girl will attend G9 in this Sept.
As we applied late (Feb) to those UK schools, we did not have much choices and took the advice to better go at G9 rather than G10 by agent,we are luckily enough to have both state & private on hands.  But from your experience, you can secure  your places at G10 though.  Please share more about your experience in applying your state schools so that I can have more preparation for my younger boys. As I found that most state boarding school's favor boys rather than girls.

From my research so far, Gordon is a good school in terms of location, boarding facilities and pastoral and subject choices which exceed our expectation.  However, I do worry much on the academic support and result.  As my girl is still easily influence by peers, I stepped back when I learnt from my fan with girl studying there for 6 years that the locals classmates may not aim at studying U finally and the 6th form only started from 2008. For the GCSE level, they are not much choosing hard subjects (for further study).  
I wonder whether we can afford  2-3 years in private with better learning atmosphere and drive school + 2 years higher rankings/ aggressive state day/boarding + 3 years better U??

Financially, I will compare what we pay for HK vs UK in terms of quality of education and student life.  I think We are so luckily enough to have sponsor for UK education + schools fees in HK + tutorial fees for music & sport and EA in HK + traveling time & expenses + food + housing + maids salary + pressure , I find that we are not paying much on top of studying in UK private provide that I am still a working mum.   Of course, if we  can save much from decent public schools, that is bonus to us.

Thus, I do hope that I can take this 1-2 years to find and prepare better for my 2 younger boys for decent state schools.  

‹ 上一主題|下一主題