搜索
教育王國 討論區 海外留學 State boarding vs independent boarding
查看: 7480|回覆: 32
go

State boarding vs independent boarding [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 12-4-12 12:54 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
State boarding vs independent boarding

How to choose Gordon's school vs Dauntsey school.
   2    0    0    0

2#
發表於 12-4-14 14:42 |只看該作者
I've sent an email for application to Gordon's School also.
I think it has a good study environment and it's near London.
It has a good GCSE result, 75% A*-B.
but i cannot find the boarding fees of Gordon's..

3#
發表於 12-4-16 00:41 |只看該作者
roar! 發表於 12-4-14 14:42
I've sent an email for application to Gordon's School also.
I think it has a good study environment  ...

Boarding fee of Gordon's School is probably the most expensive among all the UK state boarding schools.  For current school year, full boarding fee is 4,459 per term and weekly boarding fee is 4,114.

4#
發表於 12-4-16 12:20 |只看該作者
Tommy 發表於 12-4-16 00:41
Boarding fee of Gordon's School is probably the most expensive among all the UK state boarding scho ...

GBP 4,459 per term is much cheaper.

Mostly GBP 7,000 - 9,000 per term.

5#
發表於 12-4-16 15:19 |只看該作者
Thanks for all your answer. Actually we are quite concern about the choices for GCSE and the public exam result, the U destination etc as most of this info are absent from the web. Moreover, amongst the state boarding schools, it seem not much talk about this school.

6#
發表於 12-4-18 10:45 |只看該作者
How is your decision for your child ! Which school u choice ?

7#
發表於 12-4-19 18:53 |只看該作者
Hi Gimum,
Pls check pm and would to like to have a chat with you.
It's really hard to make a decision. I have done a lot of research that saying both school are great. In terms of ranking and facilities, of course independent school is much better, but in terms of $$,state school can save a lot as I still have 2 younger sons. I prefer independent but my hubby prefer public.
I subscribe to good school guide and mumsnet to check, both schools are climbing up the league table and all comments are positive. So, it's really hard to choose.  Hope someone with similar case will give us more valuable insight.

8#
發表於 12-4-22 22:06 |只看該作者
回復 1g2bmum 的帖子

Overseas education is really a luxury.  It could impose a big burden on our families.  I am a father of two sons.  I would expect both of them have the equal opportunity to get similar education.  If money is my concern, actually it really matters to me, I would go for a less deluxe option as long as it is a decent school.

If the major source of household income comes from your husband, his concerns should be well considered.  Please do not mind, it's just a personal view from the perspective of a man.

Tommy

9#
發表於 12-4-24 01:24 |只看該作者
Thanks Tommy,
You are right. If we are wealthy enough, of course no need to be struck there. Do you have any ideas on Gordon's? I worry much I make a wrong decision which will bet/risk their future. For me,edu is on the top priority as that is the wealth we can provide for and get along with.  

10#
發表於 12-4-24 07:45 |只看該作者

回覆:1g2bmum 的帖子

I also struggle between making a choice whether to let my son to study a state school or independent school。In either case, I have to compensate a full term s compensation which amounts to over 10,000 pounds for private school  or one term boarding fee for state school .

According to my experience and my friends' recommendation whose kids are studying some good ranking ind schools,these independent schools all have common characteristics:
- good discipline, if your kid is late for one second,the teacher will not let you go to class。
- excellent coaching, the headmaster will email to y even if your kid does not concentrate to attend the class lesson
- many activities, sports and music which might last until 6:00 pm
- heavy workload, at least 2 hours needed to complete all 6 to 7 homework everyday
- many assessments
- good conduct of students
- intense prep for public exam such as let students do at least 10 years past papers

So I wonder whether state school will provide such environment to students. Also,I understand state school will offer weekly boarding instead of full boarding。

11#
發表於 12-4-24 18:39 |只看該作者
Hi CPU 1995,

Thanks for your info.  

Sorry to know that you need to pay such a great amount for compensation.

How old is your son or which Grade he will be studying? I thought the heavy workload should be applied to those senior who will attend public exam, no matter independent school or state school.  I just reminded by my friend to consider the ultimate University our kids/we aim for, as the GCSE result and teachers/principle statement for your U application is very critical.  And sounds those Hot independent schools may have advantages/experience to well prepare the students. That's why she recommended us to think of the overseas students ratio, they may fail the interview even they have  very good  Exam result.

As my hubby and I have not yet sure our daughter is independent and discipline enough to strike for her best academically (for her own best only), it seems independent school would be better as peer group/environment  may influent her much,especially we are not going with her.  
I know Gordon's is pretty good in the comprehensive schools category, however, I do learn from my fan whose daughter studying there saying that those local may not even aim at attending U ultimately...that make me worry much.

However, Gordon will provide full boarding and it may cater for her siblings (2 more younger brothers), as per Tommy, financially will give us peace of mind.  So... we still cannot make up our mind.

What's school you are holding?  Reading Vs decent independent school?

12#
發表於 12-4-25 08:18 |只看該作者

回覆:1g2bmum 的帖子

Yes, I have paid several hundred pounds deposit for the schools you mentioned but the terms of contract mentioned in the acceptance letters that I have to compensate one term school fee even  I withdraw now.

My son of course does not want to study the state school but indeed it has a very high ranking which surpasses the ranking of some top notch ind schools like Harrow Charterhouse and saves me 21,000 pounds a year.

For ind girls school, I highly recommend 3 schools such as st Mary Calne (20% Oxbridge rate), Badminton & CLC. My friends' girls studying here all went to my dream u such as imperial.

I have no knowledge on state school except for ft rankings. Even though some mention full boarding, there are no boarding facilities provided for weekends.

13#
發表於 12-4-25 10:42 |只看該作者

回覆:CPU1995 的帖子

官校很雜,設施有限,好的派位好廖廖可數,入U都是中下游。

14#
發表於 12-4-25 13:11 |只看該作者
回復 CPU1995 的帖子

Congratlation CPU1995, for your son getting in Reading, it is really very very difficult to get in, can you tell me how your son did it? and which grade is he getting in for ?

This is a my ideal school for my son. It has very high ranking and also high oxbridge rate too. the only thing is that it is a weekly boarding instead of full boarding, but then again we could easily get a hosting family which would accomdate the kids for one night, it should not be a problem. This is the trouble worth taking for getting in this top school (ranked before 20 in 2011 ft and was the state boarding school of the year).

I plan to send my son there for year 9. I would appreciate it if you could let me know how your son did it.

Thanks

15#
發表於 12-4-25 13:31 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 CPU1995 於 12-4-25 13:34 編輯

回復 HKdevil 的帖子

Unlike independent school which requires written test and interview for over a hour by the Headmaster in UK, just fill in the application form from the website, then the Registrar would request the Headmaster of your present school to fill in a confidential school report. After considering the present school report, give you an offer and request you to pay 500 pounds deposit.

No written test and no interivew - just based on the confidential school reports and on individual merits. The whole process just takes 5 days via email.      

16#
發表於 12-4-25 14:01 |只看該作者

回覆:CPU1995 的帖子

有那個綱可看到官校的Oxbridge 位

17#
發表於 12-4-25 14:15 |只看該作者
回復 CPU1995 的帖子

CPU1995 are you serious? I can not believe it, for Reading School and it is just that simple? My two girls applied for another state boarding school Wymondham college last August , they were required to attend the interview with the principal and written test for both maths and english and we did not find the result until last Dec...and a lot of people were turned down too. I mean Wymondham is not even as high ranking as Reading...wah...that is great .. I can relieved now.

Thanks mate,  I will do that for my son in due course. By the way, there is another state boarding school which rank number 1 of all schools: Colchester Royal Grammar school, oxbridge rate 25%, Royal Grammar school and Lancaster royal grammar school, all excellent state boarding schools.

If I were you, I would definitely choose Reading. Is your son coming from a good local school?

18#
發表於 12-4-25 14:19 |只看該作者
CPU1995, how old is your son by the way? My son is only 8 years old and I want to wait until he is 13 before sending him there. My other two girls are now 16 and 13 and they are going to Wymondham College- another good state boarding school, but this one is co-ed.

Not many people are qualified for state boarding schools, but if you are, then why not take the advantages?

19#
發表於 12-4-25 14:24 |只看該作者
Colchester Royal Grammar school, check this out
http://www.crgs.co.uk/

20#
發表於 12-4-25 14:25 |只看該作者
but the only problem about CRGS is that , they only provide boarding for 6th form boys only!
‹ 上一主題|下一主題