密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 小一選校 IB vs International school
樓主: yypapa
go

IB vs International school [複製鏈接]

41#
發表於 10-6-29 14:14 |只看該作者
if you can't find it.... the answer will be 'NO'!!

you have to think whether it is worth what you are paying for.... whatever that is, it is not an 'IB' programme lor...

原帖由 kukukoo 於 10-6-29 13:53 發表
Is Logos become IB school already ? I can't find it's name from the website ? Any more comment to it ?

42#
發表於 10-6-29 14:56 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

43#
發表於 10-6-29 16:06 |只看該作者
you know, the thing is... for years, i have heard CKY's been claiming that they have the 'IB' programme even though they are only in the process of applying... ok, i can understand why they would want to say that, but i don't agree that they should 'claim' to have it because they really don't have it... but ok, i understand... .... HOWEVER years have gone by.... and they are still NOT on the list.... then i would think... are they really applying for it or WHAT is their problem...  AND they are charging alot of money ($5000/mth X 11 mths, and even more for grade 6 & up) for something they claim to have BUT don't have... project base or whatever... you can claim 'active learning' sure... but hey, wong kam fai's charging $3500/mth....

sorry, i m not a parent for neither schools... but this is something i personally don't think makes sense... and i haven't figured it out yet... to me, its like paying LV full price for an imitation LV bag, well maybe 10-15% less...

still scratching head!

[ 本帖最後由 hsbmama 於 10-6-29 16:08 編輯 ]

44#
發表於 10-6-30 20:22 |只看該作者
My son studies in a local DSS school which provided both NSS & IB curriculum. Our family spent quite some time to evaluate the pros and cons of both curriculum and the admission of Universities and other considerations. I would like to share with you all here, only my personal experience.

Background

The school just offers the bridging course of IBDP this school year and no track record of IBDP and even unauthorised in IBO website (Now, being authorised). The tuition fee will be nearly double for IB stream relative to NSS stream. First year only recuit max 60 students, but only 45 places filled as they only accept the top students and excellent command of English to take IBDP (top 80 out of 240 form ranking).

45#
發表於 10-6-30 20:51 |只看該作者
Our concerns:

1. JUPAS vs Non-JUPAS

75% university places for JUPAS and only 25% for non-JUPAS. So the chance seems to be higher for JUPAS. I did some research on LPCUWC and some ESF and IS schools' university admission results in the last few years (Most IS & ESF schools didn't disclose much of their IB results and univeristy admission results, my wild guess their results not impressive.) LPCUWC - 2009 May IB results average 37.16, HK students average 39.29, overseas students average 35.13 and the max will be 45 and passing score is 24. Most ESF and IS's IB average less than 32. LPCUWC IB results with flying colors and 82% students study in HK get into Big 3 in HK and the subjects are impressive like Medicine, Law, Architecture, Business. If my son's IB results coparative to the bright students of LPCUWC, his chance gets into Big 3 for hot subjects may be higher than JUPAS stream.

2. Curriculum

NSS has some changes in the curriculum like introducing Liberal Studies, OLE, M1 & M2 on top of core Maths. But the examination papers standard close to A-level. It's easier for teachers, students and tuition centres as most HKCEE and A-level past papers still valid for them. IB has the curriculum but not very popularly known and sometimes their scope close to 1st year University level, but not in the IB examination. Broad curriculum and not as structural as NSS.

3. Work load

Heavy loading in continuous assessment, many projects, presentation, essay writing, lab work etc. it's very demanding in time management and discipline. Some students even as boarders to save their daily travelling time to meet the deadline. Relative to NSS students, they are still "Hea" and wait for the last year to burn the mid-light oil.

4. Top notch universities

I participated two seminars from Cambridge and Oxford Universities' Admission Officer in HK last October/November. Particularly Cambridge recognised the HKAL, but not for HKDSE. So he recommended students want to study in Cambridge either either study Pre-U schools in Uk or go for IB, 38-41 will have a chance for interview and depends on individual college requirement (I won't elaborate college system here.). As A* in HKDSE not equivalent to A* in GCE AL, HK students' chance to study elite universities in UK will be slim. That's why more students study in UK for high school.

5. HK/USA/UK

My son not make up his mind to study in which regions, IB can be one fits all except some US universities may need SAT or other exam to prove your English proficiency. Pls better check the admission requirementd of individual university.

6. Exam expert v Life time learner

No definitely preference, sometimes excellent exam results are essential for further studying and career advancement. If exam upset your kid to study, you need to rethink. (Too much work load may also upset my son).

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 10-6-30 20:55 編輯 ]

46#
發表於 10-6-30 20:53 |只看該作者
Tactics to achieve IBDP Bridiging Program place in my son's school

1. Excellent command of English

In IBDP, teacher supposes not teaching grammar or basic English, they focus on literature critique. My son not from the primary division of the school, so may not upto the par of their requirement. So we sent him to a very good English class to polish his English writting skills. Not matter he can get in IBDP or not, his English standard improves a lot in this year.

2. Form ranking

My son reviews his handicaps in continuous assessment and examination results of certain subjects. His final ranking not announce yet, but definitely within top 80.

Nearly finish the sharing and discovered that the topic is posted in primary school sub-forum. I hope I am not off the topic.

47#
發表於 10-6-30 21:10 |只看該作者
ANChan59,

Thank you for all the sharings and information.   Back to some basic questions.........  with Hong Kong switching to 334,  what are some of the key issues affecting the students, going through the IB program, who are targeting local universities ?  Will this also mean that IB program takes an extra year to enter local universities in comparison to students taking the traditional path ?

原帖由 ANChan59 於 10-6-30 20:53 發表
Tactics to achieve IBDP Bridiging Program place in my son's school

1. Excellent command of English

In IBDP, teacher supposes not teaching grammar or basic English, they focus on literature critique. ...

48#
發表於 10-6-30 23:28 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

49#
發表於 10-6-30 23:38 |只看該作者
原帖由 yypapa 於 10-6-30 21:10 發表
ANChan59,
Thank you for all the sharings and information.   Back to some basic questions.........  with Hong Kong switching to 334,  what are some of the key issues affecting the students, going through the IB program, who are targeting local universities ?  Will this also mean that IB program takes an extra year to enter local universities in comparison to students taking the traditional path ?

1. NSS vs IB refer to "our conerns" like JUPAS, English etc.
2. NSS         IB
    F4            IBDP - Bridging program
    F5            IBDP - 1st year
    F6            IBDP - 2nd year
    4 years university
    Exactly the same 3 years senior high school.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題