教育王國 討論區 小一選校 DSS,Gov. and private school
發新帖
查看: 1676|回覆: 9
go

DSS,Gov. and private school [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 07-9-20 20:51 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
Dear parent,

Please be careful when you selecting school for your kids. For DSS and gov. school, they need to follow the local exam and the pressure for kids will come from P4 onwards. Especially for DSS since they need to show their existence so they will even push harder for struggling the public result (ie your kids will surely be exam. driven machine). If that's you intended, it's fine. No matter how they emphasis active learning, it just happen in the first three year and it will paid for the remaining time since they need to catchup the 'performance'. For Gov. school, it's all natural and follow strictly the gov. rules. For those better gov. one, it just reflect their teachers try harder to push the student by repeating the exercies and let students get used to examin environment. For private school, they had all the freedom but bear in mind each school has it own constraint and parent if not matching their teaching method, it will even worse since the evaluation may not come from rigid marks.

Hope it helps. That's only my opinion
   0    0    0    0

2#
發表於 07-9-21 09:09 |只看該作者
原文章由 father_ho 於 07-9-20 20:51 硐表
Dear parent,

Please be careful when you selecting school for your kids. For DSS and gov. school, they need to follow the local exam and the pressure for kids will come from P4 onwards. Especially for ...

You are right, yet 99% of schools in HK are local schools and students have to take local exams.  How can parents avoid it?  

Some DSS claims that they use international school approach but will still take local exams, such as Logos, Creative, Pui Kiu...  but they are all new and no one knows if this works.  Really need to wait for 5 to 6 years to see if they are successful.

CKY adopts UK system in secondary and students will take GCSE, so it is different from other local schools.

3#
發表於 07-9-21 09:21 |只看該作者
Any parents from DSS P4 or above can see something about this issue?  Is is true, the active learing approach is only happened on the first 3 years, then pressure comes from the fourth year?

CKY follows the UK education system taking GCSE, it is differnt from HKCEE but it is still an examination, students have to prepare for it, is that right?

4#
發表於 07-9-21 09:50 |只看該作者
GCSE is simpler than HK A-level. If one wish to study in HK Universities, why not take HK A-level which is more direct.

5#
發表於 07-9-21 09:56 |只看該作者
原文章由 馬媽媽 於 07-9-21 09:50 硐表
GCSE is simpler than HK A-level. If one wish to study in HK Universities, why not take HK A-level which is more direct.

CKY students take iGCSE at Yr 10 (Yr 10 is equivalent to F5), then take IB at Yr 12 before the entry of university.

[ 本文章最後由 kyliema2006 於 07-9-21 11:05 編輯 ]

6#
發表於 07-9-21 09:58 |只看該作者
我也替k2囡囡搵學校. 我覺得香港教育制度, 訓練出只憧答, 不懂問的學生. 大部份老師也在香港受教育, 在同一模式訓練出來, 就算是"活動教學", 究竟能做到嗎? 直資學校, 多講求活動教學, 學生發問多? 或是乖乖聽老師講書?但老師會喜歡多發問的學生嗎?
我認為小學是打好語言和數學的基礎, 培養出自學學習態度, 才能應付更高深的學習.
(但現實中, 又有太多無謂野要兼顧.)

7#
發表於 07-9-21 11:03 |只看該作者
原文章由 heiheibbchu 於 07-9-21 09:58 硐表
我也替k2囡囡搵學校. 我覺得香港教育制度, 訓練出只憧答, 不懂問的學生. 大部份老師也在香港受教育, 在同一模式訓練出來, 就算是"活動教學", 究竟能做到嗎? 直資學校, 多講求活動教學, 學生發問多? 或是乖乖聽老師講 ...

妳又要知喎,在祇懂答不懂問的教育制度之下,單憑分數就可以評核孩子的能力,你話幾容易呢!祇可惜,在此制度之下,大家猛刨井內知識,井外的海闊天空,又有幾人知曉。

若學校要海闊天空,所需多少資源呢?到時,家長又會說學費貴..云云;又會說不知道學校教了甚麼..云云。要知道呀,消費者,是難服侍的。

可興幸的是,今天的選擇已經比過去的多。

8#
發表於 07-9-21 18:40 |只看該作者
With the 'help' of high-pressure drilling, some kids would have learned a great number of Chinese and English words, managed to recite and dictate numerous passages, and finished a number of mathematical calculations fast.  Most important of all, the kids deliver 'results' - or high scores in tests and exams.

But kyliema rightly pointed out that the above so-called results shall not prevail in the long run.

I'm not saying that the CKY approach is necessarily better.  In the case of lazy parents and kids, I wouldn't recommend CKY to them - at all.  They are likely to find their honeymoon 'years' too short as they feel the pressure to catch up with the other kids in upper primary.  It is doubly saddening when they find there aren't any private tutors who could really help out.

9#
發表於 07-9-21 23:56 |只看該作者
原文章由 rabbitpiggy 於 07-9-21 09:21 硐表
Any parents from DSS P4 or above can see something about this issue?  Is is true, the active learing approach is only happened on the first 3 years, then pressure comes from the fourth year?

CKY foll ...

Dear rabbitpiggy,

As parent, we all went through the system ten(s) of years ago. To me, if I look back, although my GCS A level score also excellent, I do feel that I was not up to the 'standard' in a sense of knowledge I acquired at that time. It just reflect I can effectively answer the question and predicted what the marking scheme want.

Examination itself actually not a bad thing since it is a measure to what level of standard you are in when comparing to the peer group. What is important that most of the student/parent/school nowadays just fcous on what are the exam. scope and just train their student to score high marks within the boundary. You all should admit examin scope are just tiny portion of all the knowledge student should acquire.

Regarding whether to take HKCEE(future one) or IGCSE, I support the latter one. It is not IGSCE is easier/harder than HKCEE or not, the point is there is few tutoring class for it thus make the student can not 'effectively' prepare the examin but rather testing their true ability in a wide range of knowledge they acquired during the whole block of study. You should feel that why GCE(no matter it's 'O' of 'A' level) in the past is so easy for HK student and yet very few student can achieve high academic standard after the first degree. Please note I am talking about past HK student studying in UK, not those student now studying in HK and thhose Hong Kong U's can give whatever standard.

I am not in a position to defends CKY school's policy so please don't misunderstand(it just my opinion)

10#
發表於 07-9-22 07:12 |只看該作者
原文章由 father_ho 於 07-9-21 23:56 硐表

Dear rabbitpiggy,

As parent, we all went through the system ten(s) of years ago. To me, if I look back, although my GCS A level score also excellent, I do feel that I was not up to the 'standard' i ...

For so many years, our students and parents have been trained to be very exam-oriented.  Even now EDB has adopted the new 334 system with liberal studies, educators do not really know how to educate the students to think out of the examination scope.  It does not really matter whether the exam is HKCEE or GCSE, but the way of teaching and learning are more important.

So, father_ho, as you said, many schools (govt, DSS or private) only adopt activity approach in P.1 to 3, then will switch back to traditional approach from P.4 onwards.  If then, students still learn to be exam-oriented and won't think out of the box.  

For CKY, it is now running only upto Y6, don't really know its implementation after Y6 in future.  So are there any good schools running the non-traditional approach successfully in upper primary and secondary years?  How about GT, Logos, Creative?  Are they using traditional method in secondary schools?
‹ 上一主題|下一主題