用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Pls share - I'm worried about sending my daughter to ...
樓主: april_bbb
go

Pls share - I'm worried about sending my daughter to IS [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 06-12-19 08:43 |只看該作者

Re: Pls share - I'm worried about sending my daughter to IS

To WYmom,

My children left SC already, can't really give you too much advice on this.  Your daughter's studying in SJS?  Don't worry too much, most ISs provide children more opportunities to boarder aspects.  ESF schools used to adapt UK National Curriculum, now they are gradually adapting PYP, MYP and other curriculum from other countries.  Honestly, this is in the stage of tral & error AND this is HARD work.  Understanding & supportive parents mean so much to them.

22#
發表於 06-12-19 08:59 |只看該作者

kathiema,

ESF schools are moving to PYP and IBD, but still investigating about MYP.  A lot of parents still prefer ICGSE at Y11.  Heard that the resistance to IBD in KGV is high.  On the other hand, RC takes time to stand firm.

Anyway, thanks for your valuable sharing.

23#
發表於 06-12-19 10:14 |只看該作者

Hi kathiema,

Thanks once again for your reply. For the non jupas application, I checked the HKU website that you have listed in your previous reply, do you know that the application channel is the same in all the local universities in HK?

Do the kids studying in IS need to take 'public' exams for submitting to the local U or just submitting the school academic results for non jupas application?

I'm sorry that I am still not so familiar of those terms, like PYP, ICGSE, KGV, MYP. Would you pls let me know where can I have more information on these? Or would you pls briefly explain a bit to me for a general understanding?

Thank you very much.
囡囡暉諭o係2005年4月21日出o左世lu....

24#
發表於 06-12-19 12:48 |只看該作者

To april_bbb,

IS students apply uni through Non JUPAS, it's a different channel.  Different uni has different deadline, students themselves know when's the deadline.  Their teachers will remind them because they need to write a personal statement to show to their teachers before they send out their applications.  

When they apply uni, they need to provide their GCSE exam results because the IB Dip. result hasn't come out before that.  If the student has a very good result, the uni will give them a conditional offer.  That means if they meet that requirement, they can get in that uni.  Not all students can have conditional offer.

PYP is Primary Year Programme - that is IB curriculum for primary schools.

MYP is Middle year programme for secondary years.

KGV is King George Five-- that's another ESF secondary school located at Homanti.

IGCSE - can't remember the full name. It's one of the exam board which provides exam for IS students.  There is also GCSE.  They are just different exam boards.   

25#
發表於 06-12-20 21:24 |只看該作者

kathiema,

How to train local young kids to have good ability in reading & writing? Is there any differences between local students to international school students in pursuit of knowledge?

Thanks for sharing!

26#
發表於 06-12-20 22:07 |只看該作者

To maymay007,

Just to read different varieties of books with your children and you must know how to ask questions and guide them appropriately.  

In IS, children have more opportunities to express their views and they used to the way of thinking from different aspects.  You can tell the differences between a child who started IS very young or not from how they present their work.  I think many local schools are adapting the similar practice.

27#
發表於 06-12-21 10:31 |只看該作者

kathiema,

Will the students of IS join Kumon to learn Chinese? Is it useful for them?

Thanks!

28#
發表於 06-12-21 12:33 |只看該作者

To maymay007,

I believe there are some IS children joined/joining Kuman maths, chinese, & english.  Extra lessons always help if they enjoy.  

29#
發表於 06-12-21 12:41 |只看該作者

kathiema,

I just wonder why the IS students also join the Kumon which is traditional learning methods. They require students to practise everydays.

30#
發表於 06-12-21 14:59 |只看該作者

To maymay007,

Many students learn both.  They can read and write both.

31#
發表於 06-12-21 20:32 |只看該作者

it doesn't have many homework.

32#
發表於 06-12-21 20:34 |只看該作者

their chinese is same as local school

33#
發表於 06-12-22 16:40 |只看該作者

Dear all
very interesting in reading your comments/thoughts as i am also thinking of sending my younger son to IS and I am not too familiar with the terms , would you mind telling me what RC and SJS stand for?

Thanks

34#
發表於 06-12-25 10:16 |只看該作者

RC: Renaissance College
SJS: Sha Tin Junior School  
SC: Sha Tin College

For more information, you may visit www.esf.edu.hk.

35#
發表於 06-12-27 11:48 |只看該作者

kathiema,

其實一個小朋友一個月要洗幾多錢ga? 大約得ga la....

thank you....

36#
發表於 06-12-28 17:03 |只看該作者

april_bbb 寫道:
kathiema,

其實一個小朋友一個月要洗幾多錢ga? 大約得ga la....

thank you....

To april_bbb,

I dont really understand.  If you send your child to ESF primary school, you only need to pay school fee. No need to buy books, stationary (need to bring own stationary starting from P3).  School outing is once a term & that's not very expensive, normally less than $100.  

But if you join afterschool activity, depends on what you join. No need to pay if those organise by school.  Normally, these are very popular and limited spaces.  If you join those organise by outsiders, and again, depends on what you join and how many you join.  That's not compulsory.  Some activities organised by the big companies are not very good, better check with other parents first.

37#
發表於 06-12-29 10:44 |只看該作者

hi kathiema,

thank you very much for your reply.

i'll give a call to SJS to see if they are going to organize any school tour / visit after the x'mas holidays.

thanks once again.

38#
發表於 06-12-30 13:14 |只看該作者

[ 本帖最後由 CherylMum 於 09-11-4 10:20 編輯 ]
‹ 上一主題|下一主題