搜索
教育王國 討論區 資優教育 如何看{EPGY數學課程}???
查看: 7555|回覆: 20
go

如何看{EPGY數學課程}??? [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 05-3-11 13:02 |只看該作者

如何看{EPGY數學課程}???

有冇家長或子女有讀由InfoKids 開辦的  Stanford University's Education Program for Gifted Youth.
該課程標榜與    Stanford University   有聯系,  而且在中學時可以讀相等於大學的課程. 學分可獲承認.

由於課程較貴, 每20課/每級要HK$5000.- (1HR /SESSION)   且要不段升級, 一直讀下去. 故想知道它的可靠性及認可性.

因 無從知道屬真屬假, 若放棄入讀 覺得有些可惜. 有人說讀數不需投放那麼多錢, 若果讀英文就值得些. 請提供意見.

2#
發表於 05-3-11 16:26 |只看該作者

Re: 如何看{EPGY數學課程}???

3kidsma 寫道:
有冇家長或子女有讀由InfoKids 開辦的  Stanford University's Education Program for Gifted Youth.
該課程標榜與    Stanford University   有聯系,  而且在中學時可以讀相等於大學的課程. 學分可獲承認.

由於課程較貴, 每20課/每級要HK$5000.- (1HR /SESSION)   且要不段升級, 一直讀下去. 故想知道它的可靠性及認可性.

因 無從知道屬真屬假, 若放棄入讀 覺得有些可惜. 有人說讀數不需投放那麼多錢, 若果讀英文就值得些. 請提供意見.

3kidsma,

你小朋友幾歲丫?InfoKids已收左佢入讀邊個level?
<課程標榜與    Stanford University   有聯系,  而且在中學時可以讀相等於大學的課程. 學分可獲承認>---咁都要個小朋友

3#
發表於 05-3-12 11:03 |只看該作者

EPGY在外國有幾十年歷史,有一定的知名度及認可性。不只Standford U本身,即使英美加很多出名大學都承認他的學分,有了學分,並不表示可免試入學,不過可縮短完成大學時間,別人要讀四年,你學分多的話,可以兩年就讀完。

據說香港這間EPGY每十人考只有六人得,不過若是低level的內容如加減乘除等的就沒甚麼可惜,若為慳錢,可大些再考高level的。此課程裡有許多天才學生,比自己讀高許多級的level,去到高級數學時,找好的數學老師不容易,因為那裏的教師有一定程度,所以250-300元一堂並不貴。

EPGY若收了你,便會assume你是數學資優,所以課程去得很快,不會慢慢教,一吸收不來就不能通過考試,他們沒有留班制度,只會讓跟不上的停學一陣子。

4#
發表於 05-3-12 12:47 |只看該作者

beseem2003
多謝分享!
小兒五年級, 獲接受讀level 5, 依你所見這個年級值不值得去讀呀? 還是再大些才去讀呢?
那天我二個囝去參加甄別試, 六年級的大囝出局, 二囝於126人中考入頭十. 據該中心的人說前來的考生都要在學校級中考前5%. 而今次此10years old組中有少過50%考生可獲報讀. 看來學位得來不易, 故有點不捨得放棄. 所以考慮緊值不值得"投資".
你有冇小朋友在入面讀呀? 此課是否真的是standford授權給infokids呢?
還有冇多些料呀?   

5#
發表於 05-3-12 12:50 |只看該作者

JP
Thanks your sharing.

6#
發表於 05-3-14 15:04 |只看該作者

我個仔都讀緊, 不過就由最低班讀起, 因為我個仔考入去時得k2, 我個人覺得課程真係教得好快, 仲有就係佢地既內容係跟美國, 例如貨幣, 重量..., 好唔好我就唔知, 但阿仔話如果學校係教EPGY d 野就prefect~

7#
發表於 05-3-15 16:38 |只看該作者

>該課程標榜與 Stanford University 有聯系, 而且在中學時可以讀相等於大學的課程. 學分可獲承認.

Only AP courses will have 大學承認的學分; if your son starts at grade 5, you have to "invest" around $40,000 before he can take the AP courses.  But if you consider it as an enrichment program, it is not a bad choice.

8#
發表於 06-10-16 14:33 |只看該作者

Hi,

My son who is in Primary one has just been invited to take the Maths attitude test.  The responsible staff said that applicants are not required to prepare anything.  Please share what is the scope of test.  I am afraid that my son won't be able to understand all the essay type questions....  Also, is it worthy to take the course if he is admitted eventually.

Thanks,

9#
發表於 06-10-16 20:37 |只看該作者

echu,

Yes, no need to prepare,because it is an attitude test. No actual calcalation. All MC questions and words involved are limited.

Worthy or not....no comment.

10#
發表於 06-10-17 09:25 |只看該作者

bbJP,

Thank you for your advice.

echu

11#
發表於 06-10-25 18:27 |只看該作者

I have an 11 years old son and he studied EPGY maths course since K3.  I would like to share my experience with you all.

1. We observed our son is very sensitive to numbers and strong in logic thinking.  No IQ test at that time and passed the appitude time and joint the program.  He used 12 months to finish G1-4, another 12 months to complete G5-6.

2. G1-4 maths more graphics and not much descriptive questions.  G5-6, more descriptive questions.  We talked to the center-in-charge and we decided my son to stop one year EPGY (He studied P3 at that time).  The reason was G7 onward more and more descriptive questions and many settings are related to USA but not HK, he felt the stress. During the year, he took some English courses to polish his English standard and sit for Movers and Flyers in one shot.  

3. He resumed the EPGY in P4 and 12months to complete G7-8.  As English level much better, I didn't follow up his EPGY, he still passed the two assessments.  (The passing mark of EPGY Maths is 80+)

4. He studies pre-algebra and beginning algebra in P5. The program became very demanding, which equivalent to what I studied F2-4 standard in HK. (He studied P5 in HK)

5. My son took the IQ test at 7yr 10mon old, score 130+.

6. Continuous communication with the instructors and the center-in-charge is important, so that you can plan and help him to overcome the problems outside Maths (refer to item 2), like English proficiency etc.

7. Resources is another key factor, more than money, your time, discipline, patience to guide him or her through the process.

8. I strongly recommend kids to sit for the Talent search program jointly run by Info-kids, EPGY and Chinese University HK.  We all know its a marketing program, but you can gauge your son's Maths performance among those smartest kids in HK at the same age group.  Taking the EPGY program later just an option.  

9. Some may ask or query the qualification of EPGY and the relationship with Stanford University.  My son took the EPGY Middle-School summer program in Standford this summer.  My wife and I visited the campus and talked to parents from different states in USA and other countries, like South Korea, Singapore, UK etc.  The EPGY program highly recognised internationally.  

10. After the summer program, he would like to come back nest summer and he really enjoys the program and the creative teaching method in the campus.  (The delivery method in HK is totally spoon-feed). We just want him to have an exposure to Ivy League, he may not get in Stanford finally, but a wonderful experience for him forever as still affordable to us.

Sorry about the long description, I just want to share with parents the pros and cons of this type enrichment program.

By the way, during my research so far John Hopkins Univeristy is the best in gifted education for kids in USA, it is the first one to offer gifted program and talent search internationally.  Also, in UK NAGTY (National Academy of Gifted and Talented Youth)also provide similar program in UK, the administration is under Warwick Univeristy.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

12#
發表於 06-10-27 20:03 |只看該作者

Hi ANChan59,

Do you have any idea about their writing program? Is it good? Thanks a lot!

13#
發表於 06-10-27 23:07 |只看該作者

I have no friends' kids in the writing program, I don't have any idea about the program in HK carried by InfoKids.

This summer I talked to the instructor in Stanford, she described to me that they are using a well-known and structural approach to guide student through the exploratory writing program.  Start with short paragraph, and build on more and then teach them how to link it up and become an essay.  One parent told me that the Exploratory Writing program is good in the Summer Program.

Sounds may not very useful to you if you want to know about the delivery in HK.  No harm to call InfoKids and chat with the centre-in-charge, he is helpful.

14#
發表於 06-10-28 10:02 |只看該作者

AnChan59,
Thanks for your reply

15#
發表於 06-12-29 16:07 |只看該作者

ANChan59,

Thank you for the thorough descriptions on the program.  My son aged 6 has just passed the appitude test and will begin the course in Feb.  After he had finished the test last month, he said that it was hard.  I am still wondering if he has the ability to handle the course materials easily.

echu

ANChan59 寫道:
I have an 11 years old son and he studied EPGY maths course since K3.  I would like to share my experience with you all.

1. We observed our son is very sensitive to numbers and strong in logic thinking.  No IQ test at that time and passed the appitude time and joint the program.  He used 12 months to finish G1-4, another 12 months to complete G5-6.

2. G1-4 maths more graphics and not much descriptive questions.  G5-6, more descriptive questions.  We talked to the center-in-charge and we decided my son to stop one year EPGY (He studied P3 at that time).  The reason was G7 onward more and more descriptive questions and many settings are related to USA but not HK, he felt the stress. During the year, he took some English courses to polish his English standard and sit for Movers and Flyers in one shot.  

3. He resumed the EPGY in P4 and 12months to complete G7-8.  As English level much better, I didn't follow up his EPGY, he still passed the two assessments.  (The passing mark of EPGY Maths is 80+)

4. He studies pre-algebra and beginning algebra in P5. The program became very demanding, which equivalent to what I studied F2-4 standard in HK. (He studied P5 in HK)

5. My son took the IQ test at 7yr 10mon old, score 130+.

6. Continuous communication with the instructors and the center-in-charge is important, so that you can plan and help him to overcome the problems outside Maths (refer to item 2), like English proficiency etc.

7. Resources is another key factor, more than money, your time, discipline, patience to guide him or her through the process.

8. I strongly recommend kids to sit for the Talent search program jointly run by Info-kids, EPGY and Chinese University HK.  We all know its a marketing program, but you can gauge your son's Maths performance among those smartest kids in HK at the same age group.  Taking the EPGY program later just an option.  

9. Some may ask or query the qualification of EPGY and the relationship with Stanford University.  My son took the EPGY Middle-School summer program in Standford this summer.  My wife and I visited the campus and talked to parents from different states in USA and other countries, like South Korea, Singapore, UK etc.  The EPGY program highly recognised internationally.  

10. After the summer program, he would like to come back nest summer and he really enjoys the program and the creative teaching method in the campus.  (The delivery method in HK is totally spoon-feed). We just want him to have an exposure to Ivy League, he may not get in Stanford finally, but a wonderful experience for him forever as still affordable to us.

Sorry about the long description, I just want to share with parents the pros and cons of this type enrichment program.

By the way, during my research so far John Hopkins Univeristy is the best in gifted education for kids in USA, it is the first one to offer gifted program and talent search internationally.  Also, in UK NAGTY (National Academy of Gifted and Talented Youth)also provide similar program in UK, the administration is under Warwick Univeristy.

16#
發表於 06-12-30 18:46 |只看該作者

[quote]
echu 寫道:
ANChan59,

Thank you for the thorough descriptions on the program.  My son aged 6 has just passed the appitude test and will begin the course in Feb.  After he had finished the test last month, he said that it was hard.  I am still wondering if he has the ability to handle the course materials easily.

echu[quote]

echu

Just let him try and see how it goes.  If he starts Grade 1-4 in Feb, I can say its ok because he is no need to worry about English Maths, most questions are graphic and he can manage that easily.  After Grade 5 may be a problem, keep an eye on him will be fine.

17#
發表於 07-1-2 01:15 |只看該作者

Hi! AnChan59,

Could u share with me the arrangement of your son's lessons in grade 1-4? As I know, there are 20 sessons for 1 grade,it take about 5 months to finish.How can he finish 4 grades in 12 months?

thanks!

18#
發表於 07-1-2 09:15 |只看該作者

They have special program during summer time, instead one lesson per week is 3 lessons per week.  He took two speed-up programs in a summer.  

You can talk to the center.
eemay 寫道:
Hi! AnChan59,

Could u share with me the arrangement of your son's lessons in grade 1-4? As I know, there are 20 sessons for 1 grade,it take about 5 months to finish.How can he finish 4 grades in 12 months?

thanks!

19#
發表於 07-1-2 10:18 |只看該作者

Thanks for your information.

It means that he had 4 lessons in a week during the summer vacation? How long did he spend on doing homework?

thanks again!

20#
發表於 07-1-2 12:37 |只看該作者

After checking relevant information, my son actually spent 14 months to complete 4 grades instead of 12 months.  Sorry about that.

Grade 1-2, 1-2 hours.
Grade 3-4, 2-4 hours.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題