密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 IB VS AP
查看: 10896|回覆: 41
go

IB VS AP [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 16-8-20 08:49 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
除咗升大學地區性之外, 為什麼IB那麼popular?  是否有那類小朋友合適讀IB, 另一些小朋友合適讀AP?  有什麼分別?

請指教.

25    0    0    0

2#
發表於 16-8-20 12:28 |只看該作者
In term of popularity, AP is more popular than IB. Each year, about 2 million students take the AP examination and about 0.2 million students take the IB examinations.

In Hong Kong, there are a few schools (3 so far as I know) take the AP curriculum and there are more than 10 schools take the IP programme. It gives us a wrong impression that IB is more popular than AP.

AP curriculum is an American liberal art education curriculum, which give the students of the chance of exploring the best programme for them before they make the commitment of a future study.

AP is as good as IB and AL or HKDSE and vice versa. They are all college entrance qualifications. AP qualifications are recognised by all leading colleges in the world for admission purposes.

AP programme stress on ECA, independent researches and self induced explorations. I think all the best elements of the IB programmes or AL programme are present in an AP programme. For example, junior students are required to submit an independent research papers of about 4,000 words. Senior year students are required to undertake an independent research project.

So it is a matter of choice for the students. It is not a matter of which program is a better program, IB, AP or AL. Each program has its own strength and weakness.

3#
發表於 16-8-20 13:16 |只看該作者
回覆 Shootastar 的帖子

Many thanks for your detailed explanation!

4#
發表於 16-8-20 17:04 |只看該作者
回覆 QueenBallet 的帖子

Hope this helps too.
1) http://blog.prepscholar.com/whats-better-for-you-ib-or-ap

2) http://international.collegeboard.org/programs/ap-recognition

5#
發表於 16-8-20 17:32 |只看該作者
回覆 cnh0397 的帖子

Cool, very useful information.  Thank you so much.

6#
發表於 16-8-20 19:36 |只看該作者

回覆:Shootastar 的帖子

Interested to know which 3 schools take AP curriculum. Thanks!

7#
發表於 16-8-20 21:24 |只看該作者
回覆 vitatio 的帖子

Hong Kong International School, American International School and International Christian School.

8#
發表於 16-8-20 23:10 |只看該作者
As far as I know, CAIS offers AP as well.

9#
發表於 16-8-21 04:43 |只看該作者

引用:回覆+vitatio+的帖子 Hong+Kong+Internati

原帖由 cnh0397 於 16-08-20 發表
回覆 vitatio 的帖子

Hong Kong International School, American International School and International ...
thanks!

10#
發表於 16-8-22 12:38 |只看該作者
I personally prefer AP to IB on the following reasons:

(1) If my kid is strong is science subject, he can take Physics, Chemistry Biology, Calculus, Astronomy in his program.

(2) If my kid is strong in humanity, he can take as much as humanity subjects he likes such as US history, European history, World history, Psychology, Political sciences, Economy in his program.

(3) If he is not strong in Maths, he can take Maths in a lower level. Usually, in a grade, 3 levels of maths are offered to students. He can take the honor level, ordinary level or a level lower than the ordinary level.

(4) Liberal Art Education allows you to explore the things you like before you commit yourself in the future study.

點評

mingmingyinyin  Good analysis! My son is doing IB whereas my nephew is doing AP. All depends on each individual kid.  發表於 16-8-22 16:20

11#
發表於 16-8-24 15:31 |只看該作者
請問美英及加頂尖大學prefer收AP or IB學生 in general? thanks

12#
發表於 16-8-25 12:15 |只看該作者
回覆 augkBB 的帖子

As I said both AP and IB are college entrance qualifications which can fulfil the entrance requirements of most, if not all, top top top colleges and universities in the world.

I think if you are top in your IB cohort or AP cohort, you have the equal chance of being admitted (if we set aside the other factors for a moment).

However, college admission is a very complicated matter. The admission committees of top top top colleges usually will consider a number of factors and take a holistic approach on all factors.

No matter whether you take the IB or AP programme, the first important factor is you have to be in the top of cohort, i.e. top 1% of your cohort.

13#
發表於 16-8-26 10:34 |只看該作者
Shootastar 發表於 16-8-22 12:38
I personally prefer AP to IB on the following reasons:

(1) If my kid is strong is science subject,  ...
Good comparison at subject level.
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

14#
發表於 16-8-26 16:22 |只看該作者
但香港提供AP 課程的學校AP成績如何?似乎IB diploma 的學校成績好一點。還是我的錯覺?

15#
發表於 16-8-26 23:33 |只看該作者

引用:In+term+of+popularity,+AP+is+more+popula

原帖由 Shootastar 於 16-08-20 發表
In term of popularity, AP is more popular than IB. Each year, about 2 million students take the AP e ...
but why would most of the international schools in hong kong prefer to adopt the IB curriculum rather than AP?

16#
發表於 16-8-27 01:57 |只看該作者
回覆 lckfwylyk 的帖子

It is a good question and a difficult one to answer. The most important factor is the vision and mission of the school managers. Some thinks that IB is good, while some thinks that AL or AP is better. It is difficult to read their mind. Personally I prefer AP to IB because I like the liberal art style of the education system. However, it is just my choice because AP fits my kids. In fact this is my informed decision after I compared the several education systems.
It may surprise you if my kids did not receive their education in the United States. AP is a college entrance qualification recognised by most, if not all, top top top colleges in the world. My personal opinion is that if you are in the top 0.5% of your cohort, you have the same competitiveness in college admission process no matter you are from AP, IB, AL or DSE system.

17#
發表於 16-8-27 07:57 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 momo_cheung 於 20-4-16 17:01 編輯

點評

mingmingyinyin  Please check PM.  發表於 16-8-27 14:36

18#
發表於 16-8-27 10:33 |只看該作者
回覆 lckfwylyk 的帖子

I just focus on university application when look at this question. My personal opinion is AP is more popular and welcome in US colleges (like A-Levels in UK, and DSE in HK), while IB is more popular worldwide and would be better choice if someone want to keep their future option open (or want to target universities in different countries).

19#
發表於 16-8-27 14:22 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 Artie 於 16-8-27 18:32 編輯

My children are in an IB school, so I would rather not compare the 2 curriculum here. I can however comment on IB as my kids have been with an IB school for many years.
I have spoken to many university admission officers and they have told me they are of the opinion that IB students have displayed high aptitude in university. Some universities track performance of students and they have found that IB students have very good potentials for high achievements later.
Having said that, IB students do not all chose to be doctors, lawyers, professionals, or scholars. IB is not just a school curriculum teaching children textbook knowledge. Students are encouraged to discover their strengths and find their own passion. I have seen students with exceptionally high IB grades that chose to go to art schools, music schools, or even culinary schools. And their high schools are not less proud of these young people.  
I think instead on focusing on whether IB or AP is better, more popular, or more accepted, I would suggest parents to really look into the curriculum. IB and AP are very different. All the basic or detail information can be found on the official websites. Then pay school visit to see for yourself which type of school is more suitable for your child.

20#
發表於 16-8-28 01:36 |只看該作者
回覆 Artie 的帖子

Well said!
‹ 上一主題|下一主題