搜索
教育王國 討論區 小一選校 Down-grade St. Paul Coed after the briefing session
查看: 6007|回覆: 59
go

Down-grade St. Paul Coed after the briefing session [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 09-9-9 19:54 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
I just went to the briefing session.
The feelings is Not a really happy experience!!
The principal Ms Lee answer some questions very trickly:
1/ One parent ask for IB. She answer that student at F3 will not need to compet for IB position (IB start at F4). However, the student will be advised to choose 334 or IB by school. She also admit that SPCC is a DSS, that mean only 50% student can seat for IB and 50% goes for 334.  However, she insist there will be not assessment or competition for IB post at F4.
If all of us are clever enough, it is not possible to let all the students wishing for IB goes for IB program in F4 (assume over 50% students finally decide to go for IB , even tough some of them are advised by school not to apply IB). The principal 's answer is tricky

2/ One parent ask if the homework is heavy in SPCC as a whole. Again, Principal answer it very skillfully. She said in first half year of G1 life, there is no test of exam. She is proud to say what she stress is the happy school life! Oh my god, what we want to know is as a whole for coming 12 years. She just misleading the direction to the 1st half yr. Actually, everyone knows SPCC is the very famous school in the sense of pushing, pushing and pushing the academic results. I know that every student inside is assigned a file. The use of that file is to record the no. of prize the student get in the competition inside and outside the school. The answer given is tricky and misleading.

The feeelings after the talk:
1/ SPSS is a DSS only. The power is not from the teacher but comes from the parents. SPCC is a place who tries to gather those parents who like to push, pressure their child to get the academic excellence but not education.
2/ I believe SPCC can produce examination expert because the school's theme aim meet the requirment of parents: => Pushing, Squeezing the children mind, soul to get excellent results via competition.
3/ The teachers' qualification is not differnet from other DSS. It is important but the principal did not mention. She tries to establish the image of SPCC as a very top school in HK
4/ I really don't like the attitude of that 2 ladies/principals. I have attended the briefing sessions in these two yrs. These two ladies were so proud of leading this school so "successfully". During the briefing sessions in 2008 and 2009, they always ask the parents to listen carefully the so-called requirement they want during the interview. " You 'll not know what I am looking for during the play time" ; "I want the student should be like this, smile, smart...so on so on"; "Remember la , I'll choose only 200 children out of so many application during 5-minute interview" ..... One thing I need to stress is that The AIM of Briefing seesion is (1) to introduce the school to parents so that the parents can consider whether this school is suitable to the kid or not. (2) I don't want to know the "tips" of interview. I want to asses this school is qualified to suit my kid or not. (3) You, as the principal, should talk more the real life of student inside. Don't avoid to answer the question like the homework load, the IB curriculum, which are the most importment part we want to know. (4) Remember, going to a school to study is a very important issue to a child's life. Please respect the children and parents. They are not beggars. The admission process is BIDIRECTIONAL. You can turn down the child's application. On the other hand, we can also turn down your invitation to admission even the child pass the assessment. ( I've heard some student finally leave the school as they had been squeezed by school for few years to go for competition, assessment). SPCC is not an excellent schools in someone mind...too demanding, always ask the student to go out for competition, always think they are nearly the best school ...at least the principal is not humble enough.

These are what I would like to say. After thoroughful consideration (I had attended the briefing sessions for 2 yrs and I had friends' children studying there), I decide this school is not suitable, actually not healthy to my kid , and I would not apply it
   1    0    0    0

2#
發表於 09-9-9 20:09 |只看該作者
50% IB, 50% 334 又真係幾怪哦.

醒目開學勳章 王國長老

3#
發表於 09-9-9 20:12 |只看該作者
之前我都講過, 直資學校有收政府支助, 一定係ib+334, 唔會係100%行ib, 咁變相等於精英班, 而且除非收好貴學費, 否則亦唔會夠資源去support334之餘, 仲有足夠資源去實踐ib既靈活性(已經要開本地班, 仲想ib每科都開幾個level去俾學生揀? 有無咁多人力物力先?)

話分兩頭, 聖保羅出黎既學生, 又的確好outstanding, 舊生又好關照自己母校, 校長好proud of自己成就都好正常, 而st paul本身讀得深, 追成績會辛苦, 呢樣唔駛去簡介會都知, 個家長都要問多唔多功課, 我又覺得有d多餘, 我當年去聽, 校長有講明讀深一年, 好多野, 大家心照啦

我唔覺自己係beggar, 每年去spcc聽簡介會既, 無一千都幾百, 舊生一早聽左, 去得呢場都係路人甲乙丙 (包括我), 我記得我去到遲大到, 自己罰企, 有個老師搵埋位叫我埋去, 仲整開個窗簾問我睇唔睇到, 比起果d對眼生o係額頭既其他學校校長老師, spcc真係抵讚, 難怪教出黎既細路, 叻得黎都好humble, 呢樣至係我真正欣賞 (你未見識過咩叫囂張, 我女同學曾經投訴, 去校際比賽俾名校學生笑, 笑佢地唔夠叻, 老師唔理架, 我亦去過一間所謂名校交叩門信, 俾個阿嬸黑口黑面問候我"問左校務處收架拿?!")

4#
發表於 09-9-9 20:30 |只看該作者
Last night was the first time I attended SPCC 's briefing session. I agree that to many people, the session was not very well structured.  But given the consistent outstanding all-round achievements attained by the students, there seemed little points for the principal to go through the curriculum in detail at the briefing session.  That's why the principal allocated more time to Q&A instead.  As with many things in life, you can't please everyone all the time.

5#
發表於 09-9-9 20:33 |只看該作者
I heard that only a few seats are for the public, others are for well- known and rich ppl.  And they ve a favourite kindergarten, nearly 100% of application from that kindergarten can be accepted.  It becomes a noble school after it changed into DSS.

6#
發表於 09-9-9 20:36 |只看該作者
IB+334 真係要好大人力物力, 學校真係應付到?

原帖由 Charlotte_mom 於 09-9-9 20:12 發表
之前我都講過, 直資學校有收政府支助, 一定係ib+334, 唔會係100%行ib, 咁變相等於精英班, 而且除非收好貴學費, 否則亦唔會夠資源去support334之餘, 仲有足夠資源去實踐ib既靈活性(已經要開本地班, 仲想ib每科都開幾 ...

7#
發表於 09-9-9 20:51 |只看該作者
Never mind  as long as we don't treat ourself as beggars.  I went to the briefing for 2 years, I actually found their teachers and even those traffic controller were polite. Well, of course those who work there, esp the principals, should feel proud of themselves if they find this is the place that they want to dedicate their life into it.  I experienced few other famous schools, they didn't even take my call politely. (or didn't take any call at all!)

The part about IB was vague but apparently the Principal may be facing lots of uncertainties and challenges still.  It is really not easy to provide both streams, financially and academically, and be able to achieve good results.  The school will require capable teachers to handle the IB curriculum, really not easy.

SPCC is not an excellent school, may have some snob students/families and practically not for everyone.  But I have witnessed my friends who were their graduates were really brilliant, humble and dedicated Christians.  

One can see that they are really proud of their school having been able to select smart and intelligent students.  Of course, almost all students, will want to give it a try, so the universal set comprises high quality children.  And imagine those parents who can send their children there will definitely dedicate so much to ensure their children can meet the high standards.  So the outcomes are yes SPCC have very good results, good students and dedicated families.  

Most important thing is even our children cannot  be admitted to this elite school, we as parents will still dedicate ourselves to our children where ever that they will be studying at.  With parents' dedication and love, I'm sure our children will perform well in their school.

I believe most traditional and elite schools provide more difficult curriculum, more pushing, desire for excellent open exam/competition results, but this is not exclusive to co-ed.

8#
發表於 09-9-9 21:33 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

9#
發表於 09-9-9 22:49 |只看該作者
i think it's already a noble school before becoming a dss...

原帖由 cmchang0927 於 9/9/2009 20:33 發表
I heard that only a few seats are for the public, others are for well- known and rich ppl.  And they ve a favourite kindergarten, nearly 100% of application from that kindergarten can be accepted.  It ...
"Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me.... Going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful... that's what matters to me."
    -Steve Jobs-

10#
發表於 09-9-9 22:51 |只看該作者
the school fee is 60k per year ah!!!!
even more than some international schools and private schools!!!!
hope all this money is going for this "人力物力" lar....

原帖由 G-Ma 於 9/9/2009 20:36 發表
IB+334 真係要好大人力物力, 學校真係應付到?

"Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me.... Going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful... that's what matters to me."
    -Steve Jobs-

11#
發表於 09-9-9 22:55 |只看該作者
it's good to express how you feel and share what you think after the briefing session!!
unfortunately, st paul co is not the right school for my son neither. (unfortunately or lucky... )

原帖由 liyinfai 於 9/9/2009 19:54 發表
I just went to the briefing session.
The feelings is Not a really happy experience!!
The principal Ms Lee answer some questions very trickly:
1/ One parent ask for IB. She answer that student at F3 wi ...
    -Steve Jobs-

12#
發表於 09-9-9 23:00 |只看該作者
you really think that you and your daughter would have no pressure if she is the last in the class?
they said the 100% of P6 would go to the secondary... however, as i know from people inside, not 100% of P1 would able to go to the P6...

原帖由 wootaitai 於 9/9/2009 21:33 發表
But, I have the feeling that once you get in, its less competitive than, say, DGS. and the students are more humble.  

anyone agree?

for me, its good enough if my daughter can get in. I dont care if ...
    -Steve Jobs-

13#
發表於 09-9-9 23:01 |只看該作者
ib + 334, 恐怕60k per year 都未必夠 , 兩邊都要請老師同安排課程.

原帖由 flostangraphy 於 09-9-9 22:51 發表

14#
發表於 09-9-9 23:23 |只看該作者

15#
發表於 09-9-9 23:30 |只看該作者
原帖由 flostangraphy 於 09-9-9 22:51 發表

Most elite int'l schools should charge far more than 60K (may be except ESF), plus intl' schools have to be paid with debenture or capital fees per year.  

I heard CKY is targeting to charge furthermore after their new campus has been in used, may be in par with some int'l school.  Donno if this is the truty. just hearsay.  With co-ed, at least at this moment, no need to pay any sort of capital/debenture.  Victoria has already started to require students to pay a fee similar to debenture at a price less than the usual int'l school debenture.

16#
發表於 09-9-9 23:36 |只看該作者
ummm... does your kid like competition as you do?
名校中三女生疑學業問題困擾
http://paper.wenweipo.com/2009/01/09/HK0901090025.htm

原帖由 wootaitai 於 9/9/2009 23:23 發表
OK, maybe an exaggeration. I think perhaps top 90% can to to sec school? vs 60% in, say marymount?

I only worry about how to get accepted now.

I like competitions. I think that pushes the kids harde ...
    -Steve Jobs-

17#
發表於 09-9-9 23:39 |只看該作者
CKY is a private school and it's already as expensive as some international schools (however still a bit less than st paul co).
i know nothing about "victoria's secret"...

原帖由 daisy17772 於 9/9/2009 23:30 發表

Most elite int'l schools should charge far more than 60K (may be except ESF), plus intl' schools have to be paid with debenture or capital fees per year.  

I heard CKY is targeting to charge furthe ...

[ 本帖最後由 flostangraphy 於 09-9-9 23:43 編輯 ]
    -Steve Jobs-

18#
發表於 09-9-9 23:45 |只看該作者

19#
發表於 09-9-9 23:48 |只看該作者

20#
發表於 09-9-10 00:00 |只看該作者
原帖由 daisy17772 於 9/9/2009 23:30 發表
"I heard CKY is targeting to charge furthermore after their new campus has been in used, may be in par with some int'l school.  Donno if this is the truty. just hearsay.  With co-ed, at least at this moment, no need to pay any sort of capital/debenture. Victoria has already started to require students to pay a fee similar to debenture at a price less than the usual int'l school debenture."

原帖由 wootaitai 於 9/9/2009 23:48 發表

yes, can you elaborate on this "victoria's secret" its not mentioned at all in the P1 application
    -Steve Jobs-
‹ 上一主題|下一主題