deleted [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 08-4-24 20:40 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
.....................................deleted

[ 本帖最後由 orancarmen 於 10-11-28 20:46 編輯 ]
   0    0    0    0

2#
發表於 08-4-26 12:50 |只看該作者
What's wrong with the school?  My daughter is in K1.  She has great improvement in her English, and she became
more confident and outspoken.  My daughter and I are
happy with this school.

3#
發表於 08-4-26 13:45 |只看該作者

回覆 #2 karinamama 的文章

Dear Karina,

So happy to see what you write.
It is because my kid will go to this kinder soon but some people tell me that the teachers are not caring enough and some even say that they don't teach in the school.
You know, it really upsets me since I have turned down some good kinder for hoping to secure the esf pri interview.

I will be grateful if you will share some more about the school.

Thanks a  lot.

4#
發表於 08-4-26 21:28 |只看該作者

回覆 #3 orancarmen 的文章

I have the same concern when the term just begun.  I thought the teachers were not caring enough, especially my girl was shy and dependent.  But it turns out everything was okay, I think the teachers just want to train the kids to be independent and to do things by themselves.  My daughter was more confident now and very outspoken.

Regarding teaching, the school teaching philosophy is "learn through play", so the teachers will not teach them to write or read.  Most of the time they just play in school.  But the kids will have some learning experience that you cannot find in local kinder.  Like this month they have a topic "life cycle".  The teachers read books and sing songs regarding tapoles and frogs, caterpillers and butterflies.  They also went to the Lion Park to see tapoles, dragonfiles, sunflowers, vegetables etc.

So the teaching method of international kinder is very different from local kinder, whether it is a good school or not depends whether you can accept the school teaching philosophy.  

Good luck.

5#
發表於 08-4-30 16:46 |只看該作者
Hi karinamama

What is the ratio of foreign student and Chinese student?  I've heard that Abacus got more foreign student, will there be racial discrimination on Chinese student with mother tongue in Cantonese?

Hi Orancarmen
What kind of "bad" rumor did you hear?

I am still struggling if it is a correct move to put my son in Abacus in the coming Sept(even I've paid the deposite).  I love the philosophy of learn thro' play...since my hushand and I were bring up by local school.  There are lots of uncertain / unknown for us.
http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/153827.png[/img]

6#
發表於 08-5-2 15:22 |只看該作者
Hi Karina & Cindy,

First of all, thank you for your response.
After my unofficial research(haha...), I think it is true that all depends on what you believe in. It is really quite different , I mean the teaching philosophy.  Some people will give very extreme bad comment, while some will point out the fact only.

That is, you want your child to be taught and moulded or  let them explore by themselvesf and consolidate in a quite natural way.

People say that in the early stage, parents maybe upset but later, you know, later, you will have great surprise because what the kids learned  is not from reciting & teaching, instead, they learnt through practise and experience.

The above opinion is what I heard from friends & webs, only for sharing among parents, not a professional comment.
And any other opinions are welcom & appreciated.

7#
發表於 08-5-2 15:31 |只看該作者
In my daughter's class 40% are chinese and the rest are foreigners.  I don't see racial discrimination as the kids mixed together quite well.  If you son mainly speak Cantonese, you better speak more English to him, otherwise no one understands him in school.

8#
發表於 08-5-2 16:45 |只看該作者
hi karina,
It's really kind of you for sharing your experiences with us.
may i know something about the school bus route and the snack time arrangement? Many thanks!

Hi Cindy,

I also paid deposite already.
Your kid will go to k1, right?
Am or Pm class?
Let's keep in touch and share, Ok?
You can pm me if necessary.
And May I know which district you live?
Maybe can let the kids know each other b4 term start if they are in the same class. Haha...
I really hope so.

9#
發表於 08-5-2 17:25 |只看該作者
There are 3 bus routes.  
No. 1 pick up kids in TKO and UST
No. 2 pick up kids around Sai Kung Town centre
No. 3 pick up kids around Clear Water Bay.
For details, pls ask the bus lady.

The kids have about 15 mins snack time.  They need to bring in their snack and drink everyday and they are encouraged to put away after they are finished.

10#
發表於 08-5-3 00:44 |只看該作者
karinamama

Does Abacus require much parents involvement? Such as picnic/outing/party, small "reseach" project...

Do you give additional Chinese classes to your daughter?  Or do you teach her by yourself?

thank you very much!!

11#
發表於 08-5-3 09:24 |只看該作者
The school encouraged parent involvement.  You can sign up as a parent helper and sit in class to help once a month.

The school has two outings each year and parties during X'mas, CNY which will invite parents to participate.

I teach Chinese to her by myself.  I bought the local kinders exercise books to teach her.

12#
發表於 08-5-4 04:01 |只看該作者
thank you sooooo much!!
原文章由 karinamama 於 08-5-3 09:24 發表
The school encouraged parent involvement.  You can sign up as a parent helper and sit in class to help once a month.

The school has two outings each year and parties during X'mas, CNY which will invi ...

13#
發表於 08-5-10 12:45 |只看該作者
Dear all,

Both my husband and myself are cantonese-speaking though we are thinking about IS for our 2-year old son.  Is it very difficult to get into Abacus?  Can you give us an idea how competitive it is?

Many thanks.

14#
發表於 08-5-10 19:15 |只看該作者
it all depends on your luck...since there is no interview, just by lucky draw.

My husband & I are local Chinese, my son got accept at the 2nd round.
原文章由 eugenebb 於 08-5-10 12:45 發表
Dear all,

Both my husband and myself are cantonese-speaking though we are thinking about IS for our 2-year old son.  Is it very difficult to get into Abacus?  Can you give us an idea how competitive  ...

15#
發表於 08-5-10 22:01 |只看該作者
Thanks and actually I like lucky draw.  It is pointless assessing a 2 or 3 years old by merit!

16#
發表於 08-5-22 13:10 |只看該作者
RE:mosquito problem

I went Abacus this morning to summit the summer program form together with my son.  Less then 5 mins, my son got 4 mosquito bites already!  When we left, those mosquito keep following us...

The principle did mentioned there is mosquito problem during introduction section and I do expected  but which repellent/method is the most effective way?

17#
發表於 08-5-23 11:49 |只看該作者
try this : www.bushman-repellent.com

18#
發表於 08-5-23 12:12 |只看該作者
TO: KCPAPA

It says 80% deet, is that safe for kid at the age of 3?

19#
發表於 08-5-23 15:39 |只看該作者
my 4 year old daughter is using since last year....  we well noted that there is 80% deet.   You may not well understand how terrible will be in Abacus.  After the 1st day, you will use it... make sure you kid do not always put his hands or other part of his body into his month... take a bath at once after return home, and do not apply on hands, but should put other mild baby used repellent + electronic repellent in his pocket + no short pants + white t-shirt or very light weight white long sleeves shirt preferrable.  Then hopely you can win the war.  

原文章由 tpoon 於 08-5-23 12:12 發表
TO: KCPAPA

It says 80% deet, is that safe for kid at the age of 3?

20#
發表於 08-5-23 16:10 |只看該作者
原文章由 CindyMak 於 08-5-22 13:10 發表
RE:mosquito problem

I went Abacus this morning to summit the summer program form together with my son.  Less then 5 mins, my son got 4 mosquito bites already!  When we left, those mosquito keep follo ...

I used the mosquito repellent from Swisso Baby for my son during his time in Abacus.  It worked on him.
http://www.swisso-wessen.com/new/babymosquite.htm
‹ 上一主題|下一主題