搜索
教育王國 討論區 小學雜談 English chapter book for kid
樓主: LeeHoMa
go

English chapter book for kid [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 07-2-11 00:08 |只看該作者

Re: English chapter book for kid

Sorry, i just can't copy and paste the photos so I upload to yahoo photo.  Hope this works.  If you still can't see them, feel free to tell me.  I'll try harder, grin.

http://sg.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mansur0104/album?.dir=/9367scd

22#
發表於 07-2-12 02:01 |只看該作者

hi Agustus,

Thank very much for sharing the photo! It really the kind of feeling "劉佬佬遊大觀園" to me! Your kid is lucky to have such an excellent reading environment.

By the way, I have borrowed 1 Goosebumps from the library today. I found that it is reader-selection ending(multi-ending one). Are all goosebumps like this?

23#
發表於 07-2-12 17:19 |只看該作者

Hi LeeHoMa,

I'm glad you found a Goosebumps book in the library.  As far as I know, only a few Goosebumps books are multi-ending.  Those on the side-cover with words written " Give yourself Goosebumps" will be Multi-ending.  I have series number 14 The creepy Creations of professor Shock, series number 15 Please don't feed the vampire, series 23 Zapped in space and series 30 You're a plant food are multi-ending.  The rest are not.  But I did not have all series in hand as some of the books my children left them in school locker or 'on-loan' to friends.  I'll have to see to know as I do not read all of my children's books.  They will exchange books with friends to read 'other people's ' books.  Sometimes, from there they will love another type of series.  I can figure out if there are anymore multi-ending ones but for now, from what I can see, it's about 4 out of 25.  It's about 16%.  I think my children dislike multi-ending books so they will not buy the whole series unless I am 'stupid' enough to buy them.

We have quite a handful of library cards so every forthnight, my eldest one will borrow 48 books from the library.  I seldom go to the library with him anymore ever since he wanted to 'choose' for himself and his siblings.  Well, I don't really have so much time for every single details, maybe I should take note on what they are reading from now on.

Tell me if your child like the book, all the best.

24#
發表於 07-2-12 18:03 |只看該作者

GRADE 1 to GRADE 3 GIRLS MAY TRY MY SECRET UNICORN BY LINDA CHAPMAN,  BLACK CAT ENGLISH READER  LEVEL 1.

25#
發表於 07-2-12 23:11 |只看該作者

hi Agustus,

My daughter is only in P3 level, she is still not independent enough to read all the books by herself. Will try to guide her first(she read, I listen) and see if she love those books.

I guess you have 4 kids? Am I right?     Here is the simple calculate ==> 48 books in one time ==> 8 Library Cards ==> deduct Father, Mother, Grandpa, Grandma one ==> 4 kids! Wow, what a big family!!    <just kidding>

How many childern do you have actually? And how old are they? I really can't image, how can he/they go through 48 books in Fortnight?

26#
發表於 07-2-12 23:57 |只看該作者

I have more than 4 children.  Not living with the grands, they dislike the noises my children make, only visited the grands once a month during weekends. I have a big family, my library card and my spouse card are ours, I also need to borrow material for my personal or business use.  My spouse read a lot too, thus our cards are ours.

Yes, you are right, they have 8 cards, that is very careful of you to think of it.  My youngest is in primary 1 and eldest is in form 7.  I did not choose to have so many but God blessed and I happily accepted.  Not all my children are healthy, I have special need children too.  We are a big happy family.  

So, your girl is in P3, must be an adorabe young lady. Don't worry about her reading habits, read to her or she read herself does not make huge differences.  The most important thing is if she enjoys and comprehend the story.  You've done very well as you have time to listen and share with her.  I am not so hardworking, I will listen to them only if they can tell me in summary.  I will spend more time with the younger ones though.  Most of the time, I will pretend I don't know the story and 'guess' the ending.  I hope they can understand that stories are all with one ending and in real life, it's not so.  If I read a good story with some moral education to tell, I will share with them.  We will play 'if'. For example, if I were the girl, I will.... If I can am going there, I will...  That will make them think further into real life.

For example, my form one girl read a story ' the ice princess' she told me about the struggle the character and how strong she is in the battle to learn skating.  She is not happy at the ending as the character did not win the competition.  I told her that life is not only winning, it's the enjoyment alongside and the challenge, the satisfaction and the family support.  What the character earn is something she did not have: her mother's support.  But she went all the way to achieve her dream and work hard to win her own battle.  So, if I were her, I will tell my mother about my interest in skating and asked for her support, not in momentary term but in all other aspects.  I will work hard to achieve even if I will lost, it's still a challenge. . .
I'm sorry, i should tell you the story first or you'll not understand what I'm trying to explain.
Ice Princess is about a college girl who tried hard to get in harvard by doing a project in physics.  Her mother wanted very badly for her to get in harvard and she is good in physics.  Her teacher asked her to do a project, very personal project that can win her a scholarship for harvard.  So, she started by observing ice-skating turns and aerobic movement.  She did a good job but her teacher wanted a 'personal' project, she must be involved.  She she began to learn the basic movement but her mother disapprove of it.  She pay her lesson by working for the skate ring in the morning and learn from the ring-master in the evening.  Her grades drop as she did not have enough time to study and her friends are slipping away from her.  She had to hide from her mother who dislike skating.  The story goes from one failure to one success and failure and success.  Her friends , her alibis betrayed her and eventually, she lost almost everything, parents ( she is from a single-parent family), academic results, scholarship, friendship and she can not join the competition as she was hurt in the semi-final.  But thing changes when one of the finalist gave up and she is invited to the final.  She faces lots of difficulties and eventually, her only skate shoes were stolen right before her turn to perform.  The shoes are found from another competitor and she forgave the culprit telling people that she will not win by forfieting other competitor.  At the end, she got second, not having the chance to join the winter olympics but got a scholaship.  My daughter thought the character is 'stupid' to forgive people who stole her things but I told her, it's very noble of her to do so.  It's never easy to forgive and forget.  Well, easy said than done, I am still learning to do so.
The moral in the story is about struggle, dream, forgiving, support and friendship.  I did not know how much my girl understood but my youngest son enjoyed the story during dinner.  He even told me that he wanted to learn ice-skating, ha ha.

Well, I hope I am not boring you with all these minor matter of my family.  Hope you enjoyed the story I typed in a rush.  If you are interested in the book, I can tell you the author, I forgot and can't find the book now, maybe is in another girl's hand as we told this story on Sunday, usually, they will fight to get the book after the 'debate'.  I'm reading another book lately, maybe I can share with you sometimes later if you're interested.  

Have a nice day.

27#
發表於 07-2-13 09:04 |只看該作者

agustus,

You are really a super mom....having more than 4 kids and can manage so well. I have one kid only but sometimes I find it difficult to arrange my schedule. I really feel ashamed in front of you and have to learn more from you. Thank you so much for your kind sharing with the moms here.

28#
發表於 07-2-13 10:13 |只看該作者

Dear all:

1. Amelia Bedelia Series(Funny))(6-8yrs)
2. Cam Jansen (detective))(6-8yrs)
3. Jigsaw Jones(detective))(7-10yrs)
4. Nate the Great(detective))(6-8yrs)
5. Robet Munsch(Funny)(6-8yrs)
6. Junie B. Jones(Funny,Girl)(7-9yrs)
7. Magic Tree House(Adventures)(6-9yrs)
8. Magic School Bus(Adventures)(7-11yrs)
9. Judy Moody(Funny,Girl)(7-10yrs)
10. Judy Blume(Funny,Boy)(7-10yrs)
11. Rainbow Magic(Adventures,Girl)(6-8yrs)
12. The Best Me I can Be Chapter book (5-6yrs)
13. Dragon Slayers' Academy(9-11yrs)
14. Geronimo Stilton( Adventure)(8-11yrs)
15. Horrible Harry (6-8yrs)
16. Ready, freddy(7-9yrs)
17. Arthur Pack(7-9yrs)
18. Captain Underpants(Funny)(7-9yrs)
19. Ricky Ricotta Pack(robot ) (6-8yrs)

*以上的歲數是我個人的意見而簡略分類

29#
發表於 07-2-13 11:53 |只看該作者

Thanks for your recommendation.
Anybody interested in Junie B Jones.
I have brand new books to sell.All at $20 each
Junie B Jones is a graduation girl
Junie B , First Grader (at last)
Junie B Jones is a beauty shop guy
Junie B Jones is Captain Field Day
Junie B Jones has a Peep in her pocket
Collect at Central. Pls pm me

30#
發表於 07-2-13 12:27 |只看該作者

Dear mayc,

Thanks for the comprehensive list, please advise where can I find those books, Dymocks (?) Page-One (?)

Thanks.

Chelsea

mayc 寫道:
Dear all:

1. Amelia Bedelia Series(Funny))(6-8yrs)
2. Cam Jansen (detective))(6-8yrs)
3. Jigsaw Jones(detective))(7-10yrs)
4. Nate the Great(detective))(6-8yrs)
5. Robet Munsch(Funny)(6-8yrs)
6. Junie B. Jones(Funny,Girl)(7-9yrs)
7. Magic Tree House(Adventures)(6-9yrs)
8. Magic School Bus(Adventures)(7-11yrs)
9. Judy Moody(Funny,Girl)(7-10yrs)
10. Judy Blume(Funny,Boy)(7-10yrs)
11. Rainbow Magic(Adventures,Girl)(6-8yrs)
12. The Best Me I can Be Chapter book (5-6yrs)
13. Dragon Slayers' Academy(9-11yrs)
14. Geronimo Stilton( Adventure)(8-11yrs)
15. Horrible Harry (6-8yrs)
16. Ready, freddy(7-9yrs)
17. Arthur Pack(7-9yrs)
18. Captain Underpants(Funny)(7-9yrs)
19. Ricky Ricotta Pack(robot ) (6-8yrs)

*以上的歲數是我個人的意見而簡略分類

31#
發表於 07-2-13 12:39 |只看該作者

Try www.paddyfield.com.hk
Usually cheaper.

32#
發表於 07-2-13 13:26 |只看該作者

Chelsea:
三聯,商務,大眾;圖書館都有!

33#
發表於 07-2-13 14:47 |只看該作者

Agree in 200% . . . Superstar of BK Parent!

sweet_bbb 寫道:
agustus,

You are really a super mom....having more than 4 kids and can manage so well. I have one kid only but sometimes I find it difficult to arrange my schedule. I really feel ashamed in front of you and have to learn more from you. Thank you so much for your kind sharing with the moms here.

34#
發表於 07-2-13 15:54 |只看該作者

other english books for older kids about 7-9
series by enid blyton:
Secret seven
famous five
naughtiest girl
The Bailey School Kids(40 over titles)
Sleepover Club(40 over titles)
Magic Kitten series(new!)
A-Z Mysteries
The tiara club
The secret unicorn series
so many many more. I sometimes visit amazon.com(US site) to get reviews.I don't think it is a problem finding english storybooks for young children. But the same cannot be said for Chinese series of equal standard.

35#
發表於 07-2-13 20:08 |只看該作者

sweet_bbb,

I am really ashame to be not too truthful.  I am not the mother of all those children, I am daddy.  Most of the work are done by their mother, I am just assisting.  Not all the children are my own but I take all as mine.  I will not differenciate which is our own children which is not as I know I love all of them equally.  I know what is going on with the children as I do the studying and research and planning.  My spouse does all the hardwork.  I'll send your praises to her as I know she will blush and shy away.  Still, I can not take her credits.  

Hee hee, I did not intend to mislead you but I did not tell you i am a man.  Maybe I sound too 'woman'  as my involvement with children is tremendious.  Sorry about it.

36#
發表於 07-2-13 20:26 |只看該作者

agustus,

Haha....sorry for the misunderstanding! I should then call you super dad. Not only your wife deserves the credits, you do. Being kids of having parents like you and your wife, I can feel how lucky they are.

37#
發表於 07-2-13 20:54 |只看該作者

Hi mayc/tomo,

Thank for the detail list you two provided!

I will take some time to have a look on them this holiday! I believe the valuable advice from both of you will save me a lot of time looking all around for the right books.

38#
發表於 07-2-15 18:23 |只看該作者

It's so good having this topic here. Thanks all of you to provide useful information.

I have been searching the books at the website of Amazon but is having some questions. Can anyone help, please?

I saw that there are old, new and collectibles selling. What is collectibles?

Why do some new ones have different prices?

Anyone has experience on buying these cheaper books? How is the quality?

39#
發表於 07-2-20 03:34 |只看該作者

I have also bought that series for my daughter, she can read by herself half years ago.  She is six a few weeks ago, K3.  Actually, most of her classmates also read that series of books.  Some of them can read even more difficult.
嘉晴媽咪 寫道:
Dear Tiffany媽咪,

I've bought Babara Park's Junie B Jones series yesterday, I found it's not very easy for kids of 5-6 yrs old. Can your daughter read by herself alone? How old is your kid? Thanks!

40#
發表於 07-2-20 07:55 |只看該作者

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽
簽名被屏蔽
‹ 上一主題|下一主題