用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 海外留學 有冇人係外國留過學呀?? 同埋讀邊間school呢~~ ...
樓主: milkbear23
go

有冇人係外國留過學呀?? 同埋讀邊間school呢~~ [複製鏈接]

41#
發表於 06-11-22 09:37 |只看該作者

Re: 有冇人係外國留過學呀?? 同埋讀邊間school呢~~

Dear katyfok

Thanks very much for your advice.   Actually I am not planning to study there.  I have a son who is now nearly 5 years old.  I have applied to migrate to USA and I know that our case will be processed soon.  I just wonder whether my husband and I should give up so much in Hong Kong to migrate to USA.  To us, the most important concern is our son's education and his future.  If we migrate, then he can study and work in USA without restriction.  On the other hand, if we migrate, we need to give up much.  That is why I wonder whether my son can study in HK for a few years (primary school) and then apply for student visa to study in USA and then apply for green card there.  It seems that there is no chance.

May I ask you one more question?  Do you know whether it is easy to find a normal job in Boston to support our living there?  It seems that the living standard there is very high.  However, my brother lives there so we don't have choice.

Regards
DDdada

42#
發表於 06-11-22 10:50 |只看該作者

DDdada,

I am from the U.S. too.  I lived there since I was until after college.

When you say that your case will be processed, under which scheme are you applying?  I know that when my family applied to migrate to the U.S., it took more than 10 years (my uncle applied for us to move there, and both my parents' entire family was already there).  If that's the case, you may not need to worry.

As for Boston,  I went to school there.  The living standard is really quite high.  It depends on what is your profession.  Boston has a lot of high tech, bio and some financial jobs.  if you live in the outskirts, you should be able to support yourself.  However, the tax rate will be high.

43#
發表於 06-11-22 12:13 |只看該作者

university of california, san diego

44#
發表於 06-11-22 13:00 |只看該作者

University of California, Santa Barbara HERE!!!!
SISTER how are you?
UC rules!  Hehehehe...   

45#
發表於 06-11-22 13:36 |只看該作者

Hi ivyscyip

Thanks for your message.  My elder brother applied for me under the "family based" category.  As far as I know, it may not need to wait for 10 years because less people prefer to migrate after 1997.

My elder brother is a professional but my husband and I are not.  My husband is a driver while I am doing the clerical job.  We are already over 40 years old.  That's why we worry much.  

According to my brother, we better live in Newton or Brookline if we migrate to Boston because the public schools there are better.  I don't know whether it is easy to find jobs near these places.  Do you know what is the tax rate there?  Is it 30%?  

I really wonder whether it is worthwhile to migrate.  But my husband says it is worthwhile if we do it for our son - so that he does not need to study under great pressure (lots of meaningless dictation and lots of tests) and he can choose to work in USA or in Hong Kong in future.

Regards
DDdada   

46#
發表於 06-11-22 14:07 |只看該作者

DDdada,

If that's the case, you are in the F4 category, under which 65,000 visas will be issued each year.  I don't think it matters that less people in hong kong want to move after 1997, as the 65,000 visas are for worldwide.  I think the average waiting time is still around 10 years.  I think you would need to check once your application has been received by the National Visa Office.  When did your brother apply for you?

If I am to move to Boston, I would live either in Newton or Lexington, both suburbs.  It would be difficult to find jobs there as these are really suburbs with little office.  Most people will travel to the city for jobs.  The tax rate is 30%+ in the U.S.; in MA, you would need to pay both state and federal tax.

My parents were 40+ when they move to the states.  My dad is an engineer, and he found a job before he even moved.  My mom was a teacher, but had to switch profession.

I think the best thing for you to do now is to save up!  I like the U.S. school system and will move back when my baby reaches high school.  I think it is better than schools here.  However, I like the local schools here when they are younger, as they teach more discipline.

PM me if you have further questions.

47#
發表於 06-11-22 23:10 |只看該作者

Hello Dddada,
I immigrate to the US with F-4 visa too ( my auntie sponsored us) ... I remember I held F-1 ( student visa) when I first entered.... but as the immigration process went thru, I had to returned to HK and they cancelled my F-1 and switched me into immigration visa.
We waited almost 10 years back then ( but it was almost 20 yrs ago)..
My dad runs a business in HK so they ( mom and dad) never stayed there. In other words, we landed together and around 2 weeks later, they left.
they left us ( my brothers and I ) alone in the US in 3 different cities ... boarding school! My little brother was only 8.
Anyway, after all those years, my parents have never lived in the States...till today , both of them still hold " green card".
If you're concern about making a living there in the States.... this is a " way" . Is it a best way, I donno, depends on how willing or how early you want to let your son be indepedent.
But if you have relatives there, it won't be too bad, you may wanna have your son stay with them?!
My parents didn't, becuase they wanted us to learn to be independent... it was tough, but I thank them for doing that... now , the 3 of us are really independent and know how to manage lives.

48#
發表於 06-11-22 23:17 |只看該作者

lenglengma , balloon 2006...
Hey, we're all Californians..  but you guys are from the So.
Hee hee...
Any UC, Berkeley here??

49#
發表於 06-11-23 20:13 |只看該作者

wow~ many uc ppl here!!
i got rejected by ucb
btw,UCs r getting more competitive each year  

50#
發表於 06-11-23 22:56 |只看該作者

Agree agree...UCSB professors won so many Nobel Prices during the last couple of years...but only after I left....Haha...
It is okay balloon2006...Being rejected by UC Berkeley is very understandable..don't feel sad..hehe...
Really miss the time in college...I had so much fun at UCSB.  It was really a GOOD party school!

51#
發表於 06-11-23 23:30 |只看該作者

No one from the East Coast here???  Am I the only one?  

52#
發表於 06-11-24 07:07 |只看該作者

lenglengma 寫道:
Agree agree...UCSB professors won so many Nobel Prices during the last couple of years...but only after I left....Haha...
It is okay balloon2006...Being rejected by UC Berkeley is very understandable..don't feel sad..hehe...
Really miss the time in college...I had so much fun at UCSB.  It was really a GOOD party school!

I was accepted by Davis and SB, but the most I want to go is LA.
I don't feel sad at all because I love UCSD so much. The weather is wonderful and the campus is lovely.It is a party school too but I never go.   

53#
發表於 06-11-24 13:35 |只看該作者

Hello Ivyscyip and Katyfok

I have PM to you guys individually.  Hope you don't mind my bothering you again.

Regards
DDdada

54#
發表於 06-11-26 00:27 |只看該作者

Yes,
UCSD and UCSB are both good schools.
Also, I like UCDavis too!!!!
But I don't really care for LA.... for some reason, I can't explain. I 've never liked the city.
Could be the whether and the landscape.....
:

55#
發表於 06-11-26 15:39 |只看該作者

Really miss the Cali Sun!  

56#
發表於 06-11-27 02:36 |只看該作者

how long did you guys stay in the States??
該用戶已被刪除

57#
發表於 06-11-27 13:39 |只看該作者

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

58#
發表於 06-11-27 23:36 |只看該作者

hi all, I also studied in LA for 9 years, came back 3 yrs ago...really miss things in LA (everything!!)...i really wish I can go back some day for good!!

btw. I studied in Cal Poly and then Cali. School of Culinary Art....

59#
發表於 06-11-28 01:07 |只看該作者

Wow...you must be very good at cooking!!

60#
發表於 06-11-28 05:36 |只看該作者

London, QM

Wonderful old days !!!! Like everything was so new to me and everything was so exciting!!!!

Wanted to relive the old day!!!!!!!!!!!!
‹ 上一主題|下一主題