教育王國 討論區 學之園幼稚園(昇御海逸) 學之園(海逸校)06K1
樓主: LydiaWong
go

學之園(海逸校)06K1 [複製鏈接]

81#
發表於 06-8-16 10:11 |只看該作者

Re: 學之園(海逸校)06K1

Lydia

Starting Kumon (math) from age 3 ?  I haven't thought that there's class for kid as small as 3.  What's the age group of his class ?  I know that kids can learn very quickly but am not sure if this is a bit aggressive.

As for my son, he's taking music lesson only.  May consider to take more courses in early 2007.

82#
發表於 06-8-16 12:29 |只看該作者

Lydia,

I know that there are 23 stages in Kumon (Math).  Will kids of different stages be taught separately?  Or the tutors will take care of all the kids at the same time?  I am interested in the way kids learn on their own in the same classroom.  The rationale behind their teaching method adopted is pretty good.

ljsze,

What kind of music lesson is Davin taking?  Brian tried Kindermusik in LH before.  He likes the songs very much and he was excited everything I played the songs to him.

83#
發表於 06-8-16 17:34 |只看該作者

Doris

Davin is taking music lesson in Parsons.  They sing song & learn about music notes.  5 kids in a class.  My son can sing those songs but does not like the dance.  Maybe I do not give enough practice at home.

This course lays a good foundation but not all kids are keen on the content, I would say.

84#
發表於 06-8-16 21:31 |只看該作者

Doris, ljsze,
I just give it a try and see if Preston can learn from it (kumon). Preston starts with K1 math, i.e. counting dots. Kumon 's theory is practice and practice and do it on your own. There are ~10 kids in the same classroom with different ages (from 3-7?) and they will do the exercise sheet on their own if they are old enough. As for Preston, the tutor will sit beside him and do it with him and teach him. It only lasts for 1/2 hr and then 1/2 hr playgroup. But there is homework everyday and you have to spend time to do them with him. We try today and Preston only take a few min. to finish them so it's not too bad. They need you to record the time and hopefully can finish within 10 min. Actually, Hin Man (Preston's classmates last yr , now K1A) has studied for a few months already and he's a bit younger than Preston and he is doing quite well. I think depends on how you perceive it and how you teach the kid. I just want him to learn some basic math and learn the habit of doing homework.
http://www.studio123.hk/onlinealbum/2008-02-03/preston.html

85#
發表於 06-8-17 08:09 |只看該作者

ljsze,

Brian also joined the music lesson in Parsons about a year ago.  He likes the songs very much but he didn't like the lessons.  We quitted after joining 4 lessons.  I learnt from other BK moms that this music course is offered to kids of age 4-5 in other countries and may not be suitable for all kids of age 2.5 to 3.5.

Lydia,

How many tutors are there to take care of 10 kids in Kumon?  

Which centre does Preston join?  There is one in Whampoa Home Centre but I seldom see it open.

86#
發表於 06-8-17 13:12 |只看該作者

Lydia

Thanks for your detailed explanation of the Kumon lesson.  Now I understand more.  Maybe it's good for the kid.  No harm giving it a try.

Doris

I also wonder that the music lesson in Parsons is too complicated.  Yet, some kids are doing fine.  My son also does not like the lesson very much.  Maybe I have to search for other music course.

I'm also thinking to let my son join more interest programs in late 2006 or early 2007.  Have you done anything yet, Doris & Lydia ?

87#
發表於 06-8-17 21:05 |只看該作者

ljsze,
I just try to let Preston take some interest course recently, as he is less shy and more active since around half a year ago, I think he's ready for more courses now. He is currently taking:
1. Swimming course (only till Aug)
2. Piano class at Lau See Kwan
3. YMCA english course (not recommended, till Aug)
4. Kumon (math)
5. Gymnastics
6. Plan to take an art course
I personally don't suggest too many courses for kids. So most of them only once a week. But now I just want him to try different things and see whathis interests are. People say let the kids try out different things b4 age 6 or 7, then you'll know your kids if his interest is active or quiet style then you can concentrate on a few only.

Doris,
Preston is attending the one At Whampoa near the Ferry. I think there is only tutor, maybe one assisstant in class, not sure.

88#
發表於 06-8-18 09:10 |只看該作者

ljsze,

Brian likes music.  Yet, he cannot sit still for long and his concentration span is relatively short (according to Ms Hung and Ms. Angelika).  I think I will choose some music-related playgroups for him.  Gymnastics may be another choice.

Lydia,

I found that there is one more Kumon centre at 1/F Fisherman Wharf.  Quite small.  There were two tutors serving two groups of students.  All of them have bigger age (above 6, I guess).  They worked on their own and the tutors just stayed at the teacher's desks.  It's good for the kids to create a habit of working independently.

89#
發表於 06-8-18 11:05 |只看該作者

Lydia

Your maid must be very busy taking him for course.  I guess your son takes lesson in weekday as well.  Otherwise, it's difficult to manage time during weekend.

I'm interested in Piano class.  I just wonder if our son can manage to play piano.  And, does Preston learn about music notes & theory as well ?

I think I'll let him learn some sports & art, maybe find something different & yet interesting.

90#
發表於 06-8-18 15:54 |只看該作者

Lydia,

Please check PM.

91#
發表於 06-8-18 21:04 |只看該作者

ljsze,
Preston learns notes and theory in class. He now knows l拍,2拍 and 4拍 and he can play C, D, E, although he learned that at Parsons b4.

Doris,
Too bad Brian and Preston can't play together. Maybe next time.

92#
發表於 06-8-20 15:25 |只看該作者

Doris & Lydia

I remember that someone mentioned taking extra curricular activities of the school.  If so, how did you find the course ?  Maybe I have to check the courses offered this year.

Doris

I also agree that the course offered by Parsons may be a bit too agressive.  Yet, I heard that the one in Tom Lee is even worse.  Kids in our class do show that they've mastered what they learnt from the class.  Maybe they get more practice at home.

93#
發表於 06-8-21 08:42 |只看該作者

ljsze,

It's good to know that the kids can master what they learnt from the class in Parsons.  In Brian's class, there were four kids in total.  Only two kids (the elder ones) could follow.  Brian only participated in playing piano and dancing but he was bored in the drawing part.  The fourth kid actually didn't participate.

I guess the instructor plays an important role in such type of playgroup.  Brian's instructor chose to ignore those who didn't participate and didn't try some ways to arouse their interests.  Brian didn't like her and we quitted after joining a few classes.

Lydia,

I brought Brian to watch kids play in The Little Gym.  It seems that Brian doesn't like it much.  I also visited My Gym.  You are right.  It's much smaller and it's too dark.

94#
發表於 06-8-21 09:43 |只看該作者

Doris & Lydia

We arrived at school early today.  I discovered that there are not as many toys that my son finds interesting as in PN class.  My son seems to like playing cooking toys in the classroom at this moment.  How about yours ?

95#
發表於 06-8-21 13:15 |只看該作者

Doris,
Although Brian didn't like it in the beginning, once he tries, he'll definitely love to play. It's also a good envoinment for kids to jump and play freely without getting hurt. Also, I think it's good to build their confidence (which Preston needs). After only 3 lessons, Preston can do some of the skills already and he's so happy he can do it. The teachers are very nice and native speaking so I just like Little gym vs my gym. Let him try first and hope it can help Brian becomes less shy.

ljsze,
Actually I have no idea what Preston likes to play at school, except cars. Maybe if you see him, you can let me know.

96#
發表於 06-8-21 14:01 |只看該作者

Lydia

Okay, no problem.  I just notice that there seems to be no car (maybe one or two only).

97#
發表於 06-8-21 15:09 |只看該作者

ljsze and Lydia,

Brian likes playing cars and cooking toys very much but those toys are not found in the present classroom.  Maybe it's time for him to explore to 'new' toys.

98#
發表於 06-8-21 17:26 |只看該作者

Doris

There are cooking toys in the classroom.  My son also likes those toys.  I see some of them are wooden like toaster, stove, pan... Quite interesting.  Besides these, I don't see a lot of toys.

99#
發表於 06-8-22 14:54 |只看該作者

ljsze,

I guess Brian gave me the wrong information about the toys in the classroom.  It's good to know that cooking toys are present.

By the way, from your observation, is the playground too crowded for morning exercise now?  I was there on the first day only and I felt it was crowded.  Don't know if it's better if parents are not in the playground.

100#
發表於 06-8-22 15:26 |只看該作者

Doris

You're right. The playground is a bit too crowded now.  They cannot make a circle for morning exercise.  Somehow they line up by class & do the exercise.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題