教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Sheung Wan ESF Kindergarten
發新帖
查看: 1692|回覆: 12
go

Sheung Wan ESF Kindergarten [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 06-5-18 10:28 |只看該作者

Sheung Wan ESF Kindergarten

May I have your comment on this kinder?  I've heard lots of things about the TY ESF kinder, but very little about the Sheung Wan one, in BK.

My son is being offered a seat there for the pm session.  Would like to have some more info before making a decision.

2#
發表於 06-5-18 12:12 |只看該作者

Re: Sheung Wan ESF Kindergarten

Amosmother:

Ho!How long have you been waited for the seat?  Intake in Sept 06 or Jan 07?  How old is your son?  I also notice that not too topice on this School.  I also want to know more.  

The location of the School is not good, opp. to a hospital.  How about the environment inside?  

3#
發表於 06-5-18 12:51 |只看該作者

raymun,

Silly me, I didn't ask the staff.  I supposed all along that the school was referring to the Sept 06 intake, as my son is already three now.

I posted the application in summer 05.  But I was told that I should send in the application immediately as the submission was late actually.  I was informed early this year that, owing to the overwhelming amount of applications, my son could only be put on waitlist.  And now they can offer me a pm seat.

I haven't been there before, too, as school visit can only be arranged for those with offers.

Just wanna hear more about the school before replying the school.  I want an am seat actually.

4#
發表於 06-5-19 10:13 |只看該作者

Hi,

Any advice in reply to Amosmother's enquiry regarding Sheung Wan ESF Kindergarten?  Is it good? What is the chance of "promoting" the kids from Sheung Wan ESF Kindergarten to ESF primary?

Thanks!

Amosmother 寫道:
raymun,

Silly me, I didn't ask the staff.  I supposed all along that the school was referring to the Sept 06 intake, as my son is already three now.

I posted the application in summer 05.  But I was told that I should send in the application immediately as the submission was late actually.  I was informed early this year that, owing to the overwhelming amount of applications, my son could only be put on waitlist.  And now they can offer me a pm seat.

I haven't been there before, too, as school visit can only be arranged for those with offers.

Just wanna hear more about the school before replying the school.  I want an am seat actually.

5#
發表於 06-5-19 13:53 |只看該作者

My child is attending this school right now. It's a good school, and it's students did get some sort of priorities in the P1 ESF admissions last year. The fees is not outrageously expensive either. The teaching style of the school is very unique though, and I think it's the kind which some would love and some would hate. What else would you like to know?

6#
發表於 06-5-19 15:09 |只看該作者

Thanks Hermoine,

What is the unique teaching style?  As I know the class will be divided into small groups in doing the activities.  It seems that the kids are playing on their own most of the time.  Any academic teaching, like writing, homework?

Any comments on the Mandarin teaching you may share with me?

7#
發表於 06-5-19 17:49 |只看該作者

Yes, the vast majority of the class time is small group playing, but not without supervision or monitoring though. As a result, there isn't much "direct" teaching, but lots of "indirect" teaching and learning. I feel that they put a lot of emphasis on "initiatives", "self-exploration", "creativity" and "independence". I noticed that students are encouraged to do things by themselves, eg all students must change into indoor shoes when they arrive at school. They have to take off their socks and shoes themselves, stuff the socks into their shoes, put them on the shelf side by side, and when they have to wear them again, they have to do it all by themselves. They have to pick their own book from a basket full of books and put it into their school bag too. I was pleasantly surprised to see that all the 3 year olds there can do that not long after school started.

Academic wise, it's not bad. My 3 year old child can comfortably spell a few words, do some really easy sums, and tell a few short stories. Whatever their method is, it seems to work I must say.

Putonghua wise, I think it's near to non-existence. As for homework, it doesn't exist either. Well, I suppose reading the library book (each student chooses a library book to take home every week) is their homework(Well, kind of parents' homework really). Writing....Hmmm, my child can just about manage to write his name...that's it. Maybe writing is not the forte of 3 year olds yet.

Hope this helps

8#
發表於 06-5-19 22:20 |只看該作者

Thank you very much for your detailed advice.  It is very informative and helpful.  Reading at home is the only homework and for the parents as I understand from the principal.

I had a school visit today and all the children were very disciplined.  Which class your boy is in and if he is a Chinese, I may able to tell you how's he doing in the school!

9#
發表於 06-5-20 10:22 |只看該作者

Glad to hear that you were able to visit the school. Did you bring your child along?

10#
發表於 06-5-20 17:11 |只看該作者

No, I just had a very brief visit.

11#
發表於 06-5-22 10:53 |只看該作者

Dear littlemssilly and hermoine,

Thanks for your sharing.  The school seems to be doing good.
But owing to the school time which is not quite convenient to my son, I've turned down their offer and indicated that I would like to wait for an am seat, tho' I understand that the chance to get one would be a lot slimmer.
So, littlemssilly, did you accept their offer and is it a pm seat?

12#
發表於 06-5-22 22:52 |只看該作者

Dear Amosmother,

am, not accepted yet.

13#
發表於 06-5-23 09:58 |只看該作者

littlemssilly,

Why don't you accept the offer?  Would you mind sharing your considerations?
‹ 上一主題|下一主題