發表於 06-3-10 14:28 |只看該作者

ESF 入 MCS

請問各位家長有冇小朋友是從ESF轉到MCS, 因為我不知怎樣選擇, 煩請各位家長教路. 謝謝

2#
發表於 07-8-10 13:59 |只看該作者

ESF 入 MCS

hi happybb,

not sure if my reply is too late.

my daughter started her study with MCS last year (September 2006). her entire kinder + P.1 (international school P.1 starts at the age of 5) was "international stream".  she studied in YMCA and Pheonix International, now Renassaince College.  

i've done quite a lot of research and realised that MCS is not a school placing too much emphasis on academic achievement, but rather on overall development.  i just chose one local school for her and i've got no "marks" for the 1st round, except for the 5 marks for first born child.  that means i got no chance in the 1st round but it was so so so lucky that we made it in the 2nd round.  i must admit the only thing i did is moving to net 41. that's all.  and i've prepared for the worst that if she's sent to another school, we'll stay with Renassaince.

my concern listed below, in order of priority, must be similar to yours :

1. Chinese language ability, Phoenix got chinese classes but the level is not comparable to local schools;

2. switching to a more disciplined environment might be difficult for the kid; and

3. amount of homework and tests

the school is very understanding to different needs of the students.  my girl's chinese teacher called me on the 2nd week and we talked about her case.  she's very helpful and assured me that my girl will be taken care of.  after that, my girl got one "小老師" from P.6 of the school to help her out in chinese 3 times a week during lunch hours and the teacher will help her to copy the assignments to her handbook as she's weak in writing, both in english & chinese as she's not required to do any homework in Phoenix.

the first term was quite difficult for her to settle down in the new enironment but kids can adjust easily. and i think having studied in international school made her very sociable and very out-going, that's why she never felt alone or being left out.

of course the homework and test part would not be easy as she's not used to it.  but as the amount is not too demanding and my kid is the kind of "try-hard-to-win" type so she gets along quite well.  luckily, most of the subjects are taught in english and only chinese subject is difficult for her.

this is my own experience and hope this sharing is still helpful.

one last point, i don't think those kids from very famous or difficult kinders are ALL doing well, it depends a lot on the kids themselves and their ability to adapt, they may be better in copying handbook and penmanship, but not necessarily getting higher marks in dictations and tests.

Cheers,
song-ma.

原文章由 happybb3 於 06-3-10 14:28 發表
請問各位家長有冇小朋友是從ESF轉到MCS, 因為我不知怎樣選擇, 煩請各位家長教路. 謝謝

3#
發表於 08-1-31 16:19 |只看該作者

RC and MCS

My kid is studying in K2 and was accepted by RC for the Y1 in 2008.  Do you advise me to take the seat in RC Y1 and then change to P1 in 2009?  My reasons to change is
1. Better English environment 2. Social skill acquistion 3. To see if the int'l school is suitable for my kid.  But I also worry about the adaption problem.

Hope you can give me some suggestions.  Thx!
原文章由 song-ma 於 07-8-10 13:59 發表
hi happybb,

not sure if my reply is too late.

my daughter started her study with MCS last year (September 2006). her entire kinder + P.1 (international school P.1 starts at the age of 5) was "intern ...
‹ 上一主題|下一主題