吾家三隻小豬樂融融 ;-)  ;-)  ;-)

62#
發表於 06-3-2 22:35 |只看該作者

Re: 耀中兩歲班

好厲害! 真叻!     

63#
發表於 06-3-2 22:35 |只看該作者

Hihi. I've just given the application form to Kingston for the coming August term. My son now is 15months. And after read your message, I've more confident on this school. Actually the only concern for me is the school is a bit far away. Because I am living on the Hong Kong Side. Is St.Cat not easy to apply?

My son is borned in the Canossa Hospital also.

64#
發表於 06-3-3 10:05 |只看該作者

[ 本帖最後由 CherylMum 於 09-11-16 08:46 編輯 ]

65#
發表於 06-3-3 11:57 |只看該作者

CherylMum,

I know that St Cat has two campus, Norfolk road + ?? Road in Kln tong... do u know which one is better?
吾家三隻小豬樂融融 ;-)  ;-)  ;-)

66#
發表於 06-3-3 12:29 |只看該作者

[ 本帖最後由 CherylMum 於 09-11-16 08:46 編輯 ]

醒目開學勳章

67#
發表於 06-3-3 19:28 |只看該作者

clara88,

你bb係唔係11月出世?Kingston俾你bb在8月中開學嗎?

68#
發表於 06-3-3 23:30 |只看該作者

Wai wai, all sisters,
I just heard some news....share to you guys. (not my opinion!)
1. One of my friend's daughter study in St. Cat and she said the school usually takes all the handsome boys and pretty girls. She said all students study in the school look good. The reason is the school principal said can't tell whether a child is smart or not by just interview. But if he/she looks smart, then always will be smarter!
2. I heard a friend said Kingston is not good. Usually, their students are still confusing of the languages like "see TV" and some 半湯水 of English and Manderin and Cantonese.  (except those student have a good home language or education enviroment)
It's only the word I heard. But I think about Kingston, it's not surprise if the child not handle well in both languages in first few years but will pick up later on.  

69#
發表於 06-3-4 10:53 |只看該作者

Patbee, thanks for your info.

I also heard some '路邊社' gossips about St Cat
but it's abit different wor?! (of coz dunno whether it's true or not laa)

One said the teachers will not give the tough tasks to kids during the K1 interview... but some said they will... but some said even the kid did nothing at all (or even no answer)... they will still accept them (coz both the parents are doctors    )

Some people said St Cat is good for creative kids coz not much homework wor?! (big difference from 根x園)...but if the kid is not the type of 'creative' boy/girl... they may not like it wor?!

2. for the question of confusion of languages... I think (my opinion only)... not a big deal for them... as long as u as a mother accepts that he/she needs  a longer 'traditional' period (especially compares with other kids who learns one single language such as Cantonese and the gossips from other people such as 99, 62...) for them to accomodate the 'billangual' or 'trillangual' environment, they'll success in final ...

however, I do trust the theory that kids during 0-6 yrs old is the 'BEST' time to learn languages... and so... I'll shut off my ears and continue my works (speaking English in front of him) and I put him to YC for N1 lor.

Just my opinion only ar...     
吾家三隻小豬樂融融 ;-)  ;-)  ;-)

醒目開學勳章

70#
發表於 06-3-4 11:28 |只看該作者

我都係認識一 d "懵查查" 的,唔采人的小朋友都入到,d 媽咪都話自己好采。

CherylMum 寫道:
I know quite a number of friends whose kids have been admitted by St Catherine.  Don't think it is difficult to be admitted, given that they have so many classes.  One of my friend even told me that his son did not even speak a word during the interview.

[quote]
clara88 寫道:
Is St.Cat not easy to apply?
[/quote]

醒目開學勳章

71#
發表於 06-3-4 11:40 |只看該作者

我唔會太擔心,如果一個人本身語文能力差,只學一種都搞唔掂。
我由朋友自少加拿大長大,幼稚園到小學四種語言一齊用:英文,法文 ( 學校英法雙語),廣東話 (屋企父母家中堅持講廣東話),台山話 ( 佢有個好朋友仔,個 grandma 係台山人 ) 。
完全冇問題,佢而家中英法語都好,識睇金庸小說。

Patbee 寫道:
Usually, their students are still confusing of the languages like "see TV" and some 半湯水 of English and Manderin and Cantonese.  

72#
發表於 06-3-8 19:55 |只看該作者

My daughter was studying in Yew Chung since 2 years old in full day class until now she is 5.5 years old.

In 2 years old, there are 3 class teachers (cantonese) in the class (total 20 students).  One native teacher in the morning teach the children for sing English songs and in the afternoon the Chinese teacher (who speak in English) will read the story book.    My comments for the Chinese teacher is very nice, and she was not speak in Cantonese with me during the year in 2 years class.   

I think she don't know speak in Cantonese, so I also talk to her with English.   However, she was speak in Cantonese when the Open Day in 2 years later.   I was very surprise, she can speak in Cantonese.   And her English is very fluent, and the children was very love her.

In the very beginning, my dauther was scared  foreigner.   She was crying for the first month, but now she could speak in English fluent with the native teacher and my maid (She was also blame my maid in English).

And she was very happy and enjoy her school life.  During the summer vacation for 2 and 3 years old, she was crying and asked why the vacation was so long (only one month break), she really want to go to school.

I was never said those word (go to school during holiday) when I was young.   So I was surprise the school and teachers were very attractive to the children to study.

73#
發表於 06-3-8 21:04 |只看該作者

Thanks, Snake, for your sharing.

I also wish my son like your daughter who ''really want to go school' and enjoy the school life in YC.

BTW, will u let your daughter to study YCIS ?     
吾家三隻小豬樂融融 ;-)  ;-)  ;-)

74#
發表於 06-3-8 22:57 |只看該作者

I am just a passer by. I know this is going off tangent from the original topic, but since there were discussions about St Catherine's, I will give you my two pence worth.

For K1 interviews, you can choose to be interviewed either in english or in cantonese. I opted for english interviews for both my boys. The teacher asked quite a number of questions, including his name, age and the identity of the person sitting next to the child. After that, the child had to complete about 5-6 tasks, including sorting different objects according to their colours, putting clothes/shoes...etc on different parts of the body, chaining rings together....etc. They were not that easy for a 2 year old. The teacher would then speak with the parents, I believe primarily to gage whether the parents are hands on and are prepared to work in partnership with the school in the child's education.

My elder son was at YC for his 2 year old class and I moved him to St Catherine's for his K1. He is now at K3. So far, I am really pleased with the school. Its english standard is pretty high and its phonics is excellent. He can read the Oxford Tree (stage 8) more or less on his own now. His chinese by comparison is not as good as some of his classmates. The school also has lots of extra activities, especially for K3 students, like visiting the post office, going to the supermarket, visiting the Science Museum...etc.

By comparison to most of the other local kindergartens, I think SC's standard is pretty high in general, and graduates should have little problem coping with the demands of the local P1 curriculum.

Hope the above is of help.    

75#
發表於 06-3-8 23:19 |只看該作者

No, my daughter will not study in YCIS for some reasons of my husband.   She will study at a mainstream primary school in coming September.

My husband trust my daughter could take up the workload in mainstream school.  And there are some support (people in education field) for study in the primary school.

However, I was a little bit worry the workload of homework, test and exam.   

Joshua媽 寫道:
Thanks, Snake, for your sharing.

I also wish my son like your daughter who ''really want to go school' and enjoy the school life in YC.

BTW, will u let your daughter to study YCIS ?     

76#
發表於 06-3-9 13:39 |只看該作者

Thanks, Chatterbox, for sharing your valuable experience to us.

I'm also planning to let my son to study in local mainstream kindergarden after grad from YC's 2 years old class.  SC is one of my choices coz you know, the competition is quite keen in general.

Before reading your post, I also worry about the transition from an international kindergarden to a local mainstream kindergarden ... but after your sharing, I feel more comfortable now. ... (but still abit worry abt SC's interview... coz seems to be quite tough for a '2 yr old kid'...      )

My colleague also appreciates the education methods + syllabus of teaching English in SC... coz her daughter has successfully got a place in a famous local primary school this September.  Can u share with us abit more about your sons' school life in SC?  (Do they need to do lots of homework?  what's the phonic system they used? ....)

Many thanks.
吾家三隻小豬樂融融 ;-)  ;-)  ;-)

77#
發表於 06-3-10 14:05 |只看該作者

Dear Joshua Mom,

The homework @ SC is not tough at all. My elder son started doing homework at K2, simple assignments but some of them required parent's partipation, like cutting photos from magazines, drawing, colouring together..etc. For K3, he has 2 assignments everyday during the weekdays, and 3 assignments & story book reading on Fridays. In addition, they have reading scheme/book reports, writing competition, newspaper cutting..etc. but there are all voluntary and you need not take part if you do not wish to. I am particularly impressed by its newspaper cutting scheme. Whenever my son (or rather I) see something interesting in the newspaper, my son will cut it out and bring it back to school to share with his teacher and classmates. It provides the children with some basic presentation skill as they have to explain what the news is about in front of the class.  

The workload is manageable, so please do not worry. But as I have said, it does require parents' participation and help to a certain extent.   

As for phonics, I think SC uses its own system (it's not letterland), and its pretty effective.  Just this morning, my son (totally out of his own initiative) started to write his own diary! I hope he will keep this up.

Don't worry about the transition. Children are extremely adaptable. My younger boy is also at YC at the moment, and he will follow his big brother's path and will join SC this coming Sept.   

Hope the above is of use. How old is your Joshua now?

Chatterbox   

78#
發表於 06-3-10 14:28 |只看該作者

Thanks alot for your sharing, Chatterbox.

Joshua is now 19 months old but he can only speak a few 'simple' words such as 'duck', 'dog', 'ball', 'bowl','banana', some 'numbers' and alphabets.  He can recognise nearly all the alphabets + numbers.  When you ask him where is the letter 'R', he will point to the position of the letter 'R' in the alphabet poster. In addition, he likes to play shape sorter, puzzles and he likes reading very much... however, he seems like to speak 'English' more than 'Chinese'...(dunno why coz my parents accompany him + speak Cantonese to him in daytime      )

He will enter YC's 2 years old class this August and currently we've joined a PG at Kln Tong on Saturday.
吾家三隻小豬樂融融 ;-)  ;-)  ;-)

79#
發表於 06-3-10 17:36 |只看該作者

Is anyone can share after complete YC International 4 year class,  which school will study if they don't transfer to YC main stream programme (K3) or don't consider to YC primary school?

醒目開學勳章

80#
發表於 06-3-10 19:08 |只看該作者

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽
‹ 上一主題|下一主題