21#
發表於 06-1-18 23:44 |只看該作者

Re: 1st day of school in TY ESF K1

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

醒目開學勳章

22#
發表於 06-1-18 23:56 |只看該作者

Agree with you to let young children to enjoy the "free" time of their lives.

CherylMum 寫道:
To me, I love ESF kindergarten which offers "learning through play".  My daughter is now studying in Sha Tin Junior and their focus in the whole year is also learning through play.  Here is what SJS tells us about "playing":

"lay is a vital medium for developing children's thinking processes and providing exposure to experiences which enrich their learning.  It provides opportunities for social interaction, problem solving through investigation, creative development and language and motor skill development.  In order to facilitate this we will deliver the curriculum through structured play activities specially designed to develop these skills."

I go to SJS to be a helper in my daughter's class regularly (I went there again on the past Monday).  The students did spend most of the time playing (painting, role playing, free activities...).  

But you know, kids really learn a lot of things from playing, e.g. they learn how to interact with others (how to share, to take turn, to fight for their interest)...these are very important skills.  Moreover, ESF kindergarten provides a lot of materials for the students to explore (e.g. painting sets, water, sand)....they learn a lot while playing, e.g. measuring, motor skills, creativity.....

These are all important foundation skills for the kids while they are still young.  I don't like them to sit properly to learn things.  They have a long long time to "learn".  

23#
發表於 06-1-19 00:35 |只看該作者

24#
發表於 06-1-19 09:34 |只看該作者

[ 本帖最後由 CherylMum 於 09-11-16 07:57 編輯 ]

25#
發表於 06-1-20 10:44 |只看該作者

由 chuchuma 於 2006-01-17 09:58:35
I have the same concern if they adapt the peer influrence, how come if the elder students set the wrong example without teachers' participation (the elder students only around 5, I don't expect they all behaviour properly all the time, and my son is small to distinguish the good or bad). On the other words, the elder students become the teacher ?

I think the peer influencing approach that the school refers to means that smaller children can learn from the bigger peers.  When they see that the older ones can do something that they cant, they'll be motivated, more tempted to try, to imitate, to figure out how they can do it right.  The bigger children will feel like a leader when they can help the smaller ones and will be more willing to share their knowledge and skills.  It is like the Montessori multi-age classroom when kids aged from three to six were mixed where children can learn from and share with one another.  Of course its success will depend on the skills and experience of the teachers.  

I don't believe that older children will always set good examples for others and that's why teachers need to be there, to facilitate and to intervene where necessary because in any classroom, there are kids whether big or small, who don't behave.  In my daughter's school, for example, at the beginning of the term last year, my daughter told me that some of her classmates always yelled, pushed and hit. She wanted me to stay in the classroom because she was afraid somebody would hit her although nobody ever did.  Two months later, she told me that the boys didn't hit anymore.  They were good boys.

Thanks for your reply, Jessmama

醒目開學勳章

26#
發表於 06-1-20 11:23 |只看該作者

Not exactly "free play", but children did enjoy their school time is much important to me  

27#
發表於 06-1-20 12:13 |只看該作者

CherylMum 寫道:

Frankly, after studying in ESF kindergarten for two years, my daughter has not learnt many things "academically", but she has become more independent, more creative and could get along well with peers.

I totally agree with CherylMum. My girl has studied in ESFTY for two terms already. At first I really worried about how she could play on her own during "open programme". But turn out, she enjoys it very much. She becomes more independent and learns a lot. She can now write her own name, and knows much about phonics.  

28#
發表於 06-1-21 02:05 |只看該作者

Dear CherylMum,

Pls. check PM

Thanks

29#
發表於 06-1-22 08:37 |只看該作者

Hi,

About my son's class, I'm happy that the class teacher is good as she's enthusiastic/active and loves/enjoys working with kids but the other 2 education helpers seldom smile being indifferent to the kids... I really appreciate the class teacher in the way that she'll punish the kids like "Don't shout! No shouting please. Go there (outside the circle) and sit down for 2 minutes to calm down...". I like this kind of teacher as she is strict but not rude to the kids. And she always smiles. My son loves her so much and enjoys the school a lot.
And he's made a new friend and they're quite close now as before the school begins, they're looking for each other and chasing... And I'm very happy to hear that the little boy (the new friend of my son) and my son use English to talk/play...
My son's not lonely at school and he likes to chit chat with the teacher/education helpers...He said, "It's raining outside. Do you have an umbrella? ..." That means, he also loves and cares about the teachers there...
Next Thursday, I'll go with my son (a parade) to show support to the school and more importantly, my son. What about other parents?

minggrace

30#
發表於 06-1-22 13:11 |只看該作者

Dear Cherylmum,

May I ask which system of phonics are you using?
Thanks

Hi, minggrace,

Good to hear that your boy is enjoying the school so much.

31#
發表於 06-1-22 16:48 |只看該作者

[ 本帖最後由 CherylMum 於 09-11-16 07:59 編輯 ]

32#
發表於 06-1-22 23:35 |只看該作者

Y2KChild, I completely agree with you that ESF Tsing Yi was quite chaotic.  It may suit some kids that are well disciplined and mature, but not mine.  My son was there for 6 months and I pulled him out.  Now he is happily studying in another international kindergarten, well structured yet still got a lot of play time !

33#
發表於 06-1-22 23:56 |只看該作者

34#
發表於 06-1-23 02:29 |只看該作者

Dear Dommon,

Thanks for your sharing.

May I know how could you tell at which point that the school was not suitable for your boy?  Was he not happy, or you found out during visits?

Thanks

Dommom 寫道:
Y2KChild, I completely agree with you that ESF Tsing Yi was quite chaotic.  It may suit some kids that are well disciplined and mature, but not mine.  My son was there for 6 months and I pulled him out.  Now he is happily studying in another international kindergarten, well structured yet still got a lot of play time !

35#
發表於 06-1-23 13:34 |只看該作者

Hello! Dommom,

I've just received an offer from ESFTY; however, my son has studied in another int'l kinder since Sept and doing well.  My son is also very active and curious; therefore, his concentration ability is not very good.  He is interested in all things around him.  The curriculum of his present school is well-structured and the teachers are strict (of course, they give children reasonable freedom and space for developing their creativity).  I live in Tsing Yi so that the offer is very attractive.  But, I'm quite concerned about the standard of the students.  Some moms said that unless the parents can teach the kids English, the English standard is not enough to satisfy the requirements of SJS.  (My target primany school is SJS, German Swiss, CNDIS or HKIS).  Please advise.  Do u think my kid will be blacklisted by SJS if I turn down their offer.  

36#
發表於 06-1-23 14:27 |只看該作者

hi everybody,

My daughter is also studying in ESF Tsing Yi about one term, I was very upsad when I heard very high percentage of negative comments in this forum. I just know this baby-kingdom forum from my friend a few days ago but I was shock when I read the comments here.

Am I chose the worst kindergaten in Hong Kong for my child? The reason for me to chose this kindergarten, not because of their connection with ESF primary (even they said no guarantee for the interview) but also because of their "brand name". ESF primary received very good reputation, so we believe the kindergarten they managed should also offer the same level of quality as ESF primary, teachers there should be caring and experience, well structured teaching approach, offer high quality of education. Unfortunately, it seems that over 99% of parent in there also agreed their kindergarten couldn't achieve to most of the parent's expectation.
All ESF Tsing Yi's parent, could we voice out?
:sleep: :yawn: :lalala:

37#
發表於 06-1-23 15:09 |只看該作者

38#
發表於 06-1-23 16:02 |只看該作者

[ 本帖最後由 CherylMum 於 09-11-16 08:00 編輯 ]

39#
發表於 06-1-24 13:39 |只看該作者

Y2KChild & CherylMom,

Thanks a lot! In fact, I'm planning to move to the SJS catchment area.  My son's kinder is very strong at English.  My husband is a merchant & I'm a professional (Some mom said that SJS only takes children come from director/professional families )  Do u think the chance for my kid going to SJS is still slim .  Indeed, I really not want to leave the present school Although I know that GSIS, HKIS are excellent; however, it's quite difficult to get a place.  Further, I think the discipline of SJS may be better Any further comment?

40#
發表於 06-1-24 13:46 |只看該作者

Tsing Yi is falled into SJS catchment area start from 2006/07.
Please take a look on below URL
ESF Catchment
‹ 上一主題|下一主題