搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 I want my child to goto CIS / HKIS / GSIS
樓主: gweiloproblems
go

[小學] I want my child to goto CIS / HKIS / GSIS [複製鏈接]

61#
發表於 23-8-27 02:02 |只看該作者
gweiloproblems 發表於 23-6-21 20:03
I guess 1on1 is going to be a lot better. I was hoping for a classroom setting for learning as it wi ...
You may have disclosed too much info here. Your top preference, your nationality (a very rare one), current kindergarten etc. which makes your application instantly identifiable.  please don’t assume school admissions offices don’t browse edu kingdom.
More harm than good for them to know they are only your 2nd to Nth choice…

Worth looking into seeing if it’s possible to delete the key info…

62#
發表於 23-8-28 08:58 |只看該作者
sr0925 發表於 23-6-16 19:31
回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

If you go to Dibber, I think Anfield kindergarten nearby could be better ...
You forgot to point out that CIS also looks at the family's background, occupation, wealth status, etc.  They are quite particular on which types of families they want to invite into their "exclusive" community.  Even Nicolas Tse's kids couldn't get in, and they are clearly rich and successful business people.  I think the reason why they didn't get in was more on the bad publicity that Nic Tse has generated over the years with his back-and-forth wife/girlfriend etc.  
So it just goes to show you that they want real intellectual, smart, with clear potential kids..... but at the same time, they expect the same from the child's family background as well.  If both mom and dad are executives of big companies (i.e. CEO, CFO, Partner, Executive Director, etc.) or if the parents own their own successful huge business....that increases your child's chances as well.

Everyone I personally know who got into CIS, their parents are these profiles.  I don't think I know any parents who got in and worked a typical 9-5 mid-manager job in companies.  If there was one, then the kid must be a wunderkid with super gifted academic powers.

CIS is very elitist like this.  But that's also why their community is so "special".

63#
發表於 23-8-30 11:56 |只看該作者
yiqiyihui 發表於 23-8-27 02:02
You may have disclosed too much info here. Your top preference, your nationality (a very rare one),  ...
Thank you for this. I really did not think about this at all and appreciate the heads up. I have tried removing some personal details but I guess the major damage is already done haha.

I will try and make the most of this thread with all the information that has already been given and will keep your suggestion in mind when posting in the future. Thanks again!

64#
發表於 23-8-30 12:05 |只看該作者
7jai 發表於 23-8-28 08:58
You forgot to point out that CIS also looks at the family's background, occupation, wealth status, e ...
Luckily I am not as famous as Nicholas Tse haha.

Just joking, but I can see what you are saying. It does seem like CIS wants to curate its school applicants and choose based on a variety of sociodemographic factors. While I do have a 9-5, My job profile is relatively in good standing with colleagues around me all having their kids at good schools.

It is very truly though that I do not have any "Klout" or contacts that I can namedrop in interviews. Only advantage I have is FP and that is why I was looking for any educational guidance that can help me push my application little bit further :)

65#
發表於 23-8-30 13:23 |只看該作者
gweiloproblems 發表於 23-8-30 12:05
Luckily I am not as famous as Nicholas Tse haha.

Just joking, but I can see what you are saying. It ...
If CIS is your aim, I think any networking with their board members or their associations would help your chances.  I don't have any connections, but within your circle, if you have some affiliations with them, may be worthwhile to arrange something.

It's not good enough anymore to "know" a teacher who teachers there or not.  They don't have any power to be honest.  I personally know a few teachers there, but they can't help.  They will just tell you things that you already know.

Another way to increase your chances is to interview prep your child a few months beforehand.  They have experience in prepping children to maximize their success rate in getting in.  Once again, CIS looks at the performance of the kid (i.e. if they are gifted, smart, intelligent, rational, logically, calm, etc.).  Then they look at the performance of the parents (i.e. what do you do, who you associate with, your occupation and wealth status, your demeanor, will you be a good asset for CIS and a good brand ambassador, etc.)
Once again, just my own suggestions.  But again from my own circle of experience, those kids who got in were either super smart, and/or their parents are very reputatable/successful.  I haven't heard of any 'normal' child getting in personally.  Just being up front here.

66#
發表於 23-8-30 13:47 |只看該作者
7jai 發表於 23-8-30 13:23
If CIS is your aim, I think any networking with their board members or their associations would help ...
Thanks for this! I really have no connections with their boards or similar. Just some friends who have suggested a few kindergartens and tutors to get my kid to be a little more outspoken. I really do want my kid ending up in one of the choice schools.

Do you have any suggestions for my child's interview prep? During my research I've only come across https://www.topschools.asia/ and https://www.hk-schools.com/, however I have not got any first hand reviews for them.

67#
發表於 23-8-30 14:38 |只看該作者
回覆 7jai 的帖子

How about SIS ?

68#
發表於 23-8-30 14:51 |只看該作者
Goodluck2022 發表於 23-8-30 14:38
回覆 7jai 的帖子

How about SIS ?
SIS isn't as difficult to get into than CIS.  

SIS also depends on your child's performance, but not so much on your family's background.  I would say it's easier to get in as not as many people fight for these spots.  Don't get me wrong though, still have to compete for a spot - but not as extreme as CIS.
I don't know many people who goto SIS, but from what I hear, they are very academically driven and simplified chinese.  So I would assume their interview will be to test your english and chinese.  

69#
發表於 23-8-30 14:52 |只看該作者
gweiloproblems 發表於 23-8-30 13:47
Thanks for this! I really have no connections with their boards or similar. Just some friends who ha ...

I am not too sure personally, but I know there are some interview prep schools out there.  Maybe ask some of your connections as well on this?  

Personally im' not aiming for CIS as I don't fit their "profile", so I would prefer to go to other schools that fit our family better.

70#
發表於 23-8-30 14:58 |只看該作者
I would recommend CIS

71#
發表於 23-8-30 15:26 |只看該作者
https://www.cis.edu.hk/academics/secondary/overview/ib-dp-results

72#
發表於 23-8-30 15:34 |只看該作者
ngyeungbun 發表於 23-8-30 14:58
I would recommend CIS
I would also recommend after CIS to go to Harvard University and Stanford University.

73#
發表於 23-8-30 17:24 |只看該作者
Goodluck2022 發表於 23-8-30 15:26
https://www.cis.edu.hk/academics/secondary/overview/ib-dp-results

UK的大學比較少

74#
發表於 23-9-4 15:19 |只看該作者
7jai 發表於 23-8-30 14:52
I am not too sure personally, but I know there are some interview prep schools out there.  Maybe as ...
Thanks. May I ask where you would be applying for your kids? I don't think my profile is ideal either but just striving to get them the best.

75#
發表於 23-9-4 15:26 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 gweiloproblems 於 23-9-4 15:58 編輯
Goodluck2022 發表於 23-8-30 14:38
回覆 7jai 的帖子

How about SIS ?

From what I hear it is a great school. Its a little too far from me and would only be OK travelling so much for my top 3 choices. Otherwise I have great schools near me too that I would be very happy with as well.

76#
發表於 23-10-18 10:36 |只看該作者
Agree with the comments that GSIS places a very high standard on English comprehension and fluency already for KG and Y01 admissions.  

And it would be a huge plus for the interviews if your children are outgoing and outspoken.  

We went through the interview process at two of the three schools.  We were fortunate to have received positive results, but it was a long and somewhat painful process that took a lot of dedication on the part of the parents.

I would be happy to share some of the experiences if you DM me.

77#
發表於 23-11-2 13:57 |只看該作者
Luminous_HK 發表於 23-10-18 10:36
Agree with the comments that GSIS places a very high standard on English comprehension and fluency a ...
I do think my child's English is quite good but may need to work on making her a little less anxious on meeting new people / working with a new environment.

Do you get worried regarding the bus ride up to the Peak. I had seen the campus on the way to Matilda Hospital sometime back and the ride up in rain did not seem easy.

78#
發表於 23-11-4 23:43 |只看該作者
KG is in Pokfulam and students are mandatory to take school bus.  Most primary and secondary students at the Peak campus take school bus anyway.  No need to worry about it.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題
你需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 註冊