教育王國 討論區 國際學校 4所國際學校 非本地生比例未達標
樓主: penp0319
go

[其他] 4所國際學校 非本地生比例未達標 [複製鏈接]

61#
發表於 23-4-21 10:50 |只看該作者
simonchan1986 發表於 23-4-21 10:32
回覆 Daks 的帖子

I am sure the schools (PIS/IS) adhere to the requirements by EDB... am just saying ...
https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/201106/01/P201106010148.htm

The definition of "local students" for PIS and for IS is different:

IS: local students studying at international schools include students who are Hong Kong permanent residents (with the right of abode in Hong Kong Special Administrative Region) and do not have any foreign passport (except British National (Overseas) Passport)

PIS: 'local children' served by these schools to be permanent residents of Hong Kong"

So, children born in Hong Kong and have foreign passports will be classified as non-local in IS and local in PIS..

62#
發表於 23-4-21 12:00 |只看該作者
回覆 poonseelai 的帖子

I am not sure if that is deliberate in order to attract talents from overseas and mainland China to come to HK...but by design it is not fair to locals HK who were born here and do not possess non-SAR passport...
There are a lot of mainland parents having kids born in HK, their kids have priority for both ISF/VSA and GSIS/ESF/HKIS etc.

63#
發表於 23-4-21 15:30 |只看該作者
simonchan1986 發表於 23-4-21 12:00
回覆 poonseelai 的帖子

I am not sure if that is deliberate in order to attract talents from oversea ...

本帖最後由 964000 於 23-4-24 07:47 編輯

It’s hard to say it’s fair or unfair. Say in mainland, Hong Kong passport holders can attend international schools there but mainlanders can’t. They can only attend bilingual schools (which is like our PIS).
Also in Singapore, Taiwan and Malaysia, citizens without non-local passports cannot attend their IS too.
I am glad to be in Hong Kong so my kid still have a choice.
For GSIS, having foreign passports (except German Swiss) does not have priority at all. There are only a few mainlander passports holders in the whole primary school. Of course you can’t exclude those mainlanders with foreign passports but that doesn’t grant any priority either. I believe this is the same for HKIS.
I think that HK international schools are really attractive to them in terms of fees and qualities. But they tend to choose Chinese heavy IS rather than the westernised ones.

64#
發表於 23-4-21 15:33 |只看該作者
For local parents who target IS, my advice is maintainence of good English level and a forthcoming attitude is far more advantageous than just having a foreign passport. The schools especially at the lower grades, are actively searching for kids with good oral English to maintain their native English environment. And I have seen kid with foreign passport who failed ESF assessment too.
Second advice is plan ahead, pay school visits and don’t miss deadlines.

65#
發表於 23-4-21 16:49 |只看該作者
looks like worth staying at ESF primary for the sake of getting into the middle schools...otherwise there will be very few places available...

66#
發表於 23-4-21 18:02 |只看該作者
遲啲行星加報個套都唔奇

67#
發表於 23-4-21 20:32 |只看該作者
回覆 964000 的帖子

Yes the question of fairness is always tricky. I am just saying inside HK, local HK ppl without SAR passport are at a disadvantage. If HK local want mainland education, they can go to have one. If mainland local want to have HK education, they can go to HK public school too, and in addition to that, they have priority in both types of non-local school which local HK do not.
Correct me if I am wrong, GSIS needs to observe the 70% non-local rule too. So assume two identical kids with just the passport being different, the school will prefer the non-local one to the local one, especially if they are close to the threshold. HKIS also need to observe the 70% non-local rules too but it just happens they are more popular among non-local due to their "weaker" Chinese.

68#
發表於 23-4-21 20:34 |只看該作者
回覆 squeaky 的帖子

I think unlikely for now...do you notice most of our officials' kids are from international school?

69#
發表於 23-4-21 20:36 |只看該作者
simonchan1986 發表於 23-4-21 20:32
回覆 964000 的帖子

Yes the question of fairness is always tricky. I am just saying inside HK, local ...

GSIS and HKIS are popular among non-locals and less preferred by locals (in the past, not sure now), because of their relatively weak Chinese. They should have no problem observing 70% non-local rule. Those “new” IS on Kowloon and NT side are more popular among locals (including the HK permanent residents with Canadian/Australian/Mainland passports), I believe it will be hard for locals to get into these schools.

70#
發表於 23-4-21 21:08 |只看該作者
回覆 simonchan1986 的帖子

Small correction here - only those born in HK with parents who are Chinese citizens or PR can get PR automatically. Otherwise if you’re born here to non PR/non Chinese citizen parents, then you won’t be a PR and need to live here for 7 years to gain PR.
So some people who are born in HK and hold foreign passports won’t be counted as ‘local’ either

71#
發表於 23-4-22 02:04 |只看該作者
回覆 bettyc123 的帖子

I think as long as the child has a valid visa (dependent visa) in Hong Kong, he/she is eligible for any public / private schools. So if the child also have a foreign passport, he/she can be qualified as non-local for international school.

72#
發表於 23-4-22 02:09 |只看該作者
回覆 bettyc123 的帖子

Kids don’t need a PR to be considered a local student. Anyone who has a valid visa can apply to any local schools. Kids who are born in HK are PR by birth regardless of what passports the parents hold (e.g 雙非) and those who are born abroad and doesn’t have a hk passport nor PR can apply to any schools they like as long as their parents live / work in hk.

73#
發表於 23-4-22 08:58 |只看該作者
To be honest there is no whether or not it is “fair” for non FP holder. 70/30 (some IS has a even higher ratio like FIS TKO) is the existing rule, you want to get into the game, you follow the rule. If you are not eligible for the rule and unable to admit to any of the IS (which I doubt that), then send the child aboard to study (HKSAR turns into FP in other countries), go spend some money to get a FP (some small EU counties require very little investment), get into PIS and wait for opportunity, etc.

Some of my friend cannot admitted to FIS due to the FP issue, but that is something they knew before they applied for it. They want to try and see if they could be the exceptional one, go and try, but there is no such a thing of “not fair” to non FP holder honestly.

74#
發表於 23-4-22 17:13 |只看該作者
回覆 siubear718 的帖子

雙飛 only applies to prc people. If you are from mainland China and your kid is born in hk, the kid gets pr. I know many expats who aren’t pr in hk and their kids are born in hk but their kids don’t get pr until they live here for 7 years

75#
發表於 23-4-22 17:15 |只看該作者
回覆 siubear718 的帖子

Yes I know with a valid visa they can go to local schools but I meant with the above definition for PIS that it needs to be 70% local and locals are defined as PR. So in this instance, those with a valid dependent visa don’t count as local for the purposes of the PIS 70% local requirement

76#
發表於 23-4-23 17:33 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 squeaky 於 23-4-26 15:03 編輯
simonchan1986 發表於 23-4-21 20:34
回覆 squeaky 的帖子

I think unlikely for now...do you notice most of our officials' kids are from i ...

It could be a policy from top down and it will not be up to these government officials.  In the worst case, they can send their kids to study abroad

77#
發表於 23-4-24 08:28 |只看該作者
squeaky 發表於 23-4-21 18:02
遲啲行星加報個套都唔奇

本帖最後由 964000 於 23-4-24 08:35 編輯

Singapore, Taiwan and Malaysia have long been working this way that locals are not allowed to get in IS.International schools for international students that makes sense!
The whole education model is just a business and is about supply and demand. In that case, those existing IS in surplus might just adapt into private schools providing bilingual curriculum for locals. Not a bad thing indeed because local parents have always been asking for “local level-Chinese IS “ so demand is high here and will be met.
For existing parents 過咗海就係神仙。

78#
發表於 23-4-24 09:55 |只看該作者
回覆 bettyc123 的帖子

Frankly, I have never heard PIS breaching their 70% local threshold (as the demand for strong Chinese and non-local curriculum is always high), so I guess the problem is more about the "true IS" getting too many local students than the PIS getting too many non-local students.
Now knowing where the problems really lie, all I have been saying is that there are certain group of people who can both apply to PIS (and get to the 70% local group) and "true IS" (also get to the 70% non-local group). I understand some may say HK people is already "lucky" as there is still a chance to pursue IS with the right training to the kids, but cross-border comparison is always tricky as there are so many differences across different places. All I am saying is that within HK, where everyone are under pretty much the same set of conditions, everyone should have a similar set of rules for the kids too.

It is not quite fair for locals who are born here to be eligible for the 70% PIS group while certain group of people can do both the 70% PIS and 70% IS. The odds are staked against locals who want to apply to the "true IS" for their kids.

79#
發表於 23-4-26 14:48 |只看該作者
964000 發表於 23-4-24 08:28
本帖最後由 964000 於 23-4-24 08:35 編輯

Singapore, Taiwan and Malaysia have long been working th ...
I feel that the trend will be limiting locals going to international school and imposing more control on how teaching is done in PIS (especially the 愛國教育).  
‹ 上一主題|下一主題