密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 ESF Year 10 General Admission HK Island
發新帖
查看: 1677|回覆: 11
go

ESF Year 10 General Admission HK Island

發表於 17-10-10 09:26 |顯示全部帖子
I am wondering if anyone can share with me their previous experience or whatever they have known about it.  I want to let my girl who is studying form 2 at a local school,  to try switching to International School.  Esf is our keen choice due to close proximity to home, however I understand the competition is keen, and places available is rare. also,  I have looked through their website, I have several questions in mind, hope someone can help me with.

1. I have searched comments about the admission of year 9 or above , that  candidates must be at least ranked top 10 at their school in order to be admitted. is the competition this extremely keen? anyone knows if there have been successful candidates without such academic results could still manage to get in?

2.  A referral letter from existing school is required to submit as part of application.  I am really concerned that would a local school be willing to provide it.  actually what information ESF is looking for? I have heard that some local schools don't do it for students who've not yet quit the school.  is such letter really necessary ?

3.  Whether or not I can obtain the reference letter, I should still submit an online application as soon as possible so to enable her to be put on their waiting list? or I have to have all documents ready first?

I am not sure if I should let my girl to try it, given  places left at her grade at South Island School is certainly very few or none. but I am thinking as long as she would be given a chance for interview once there are places available, I am willing to give it a try.

發表於 17-10-10 09:29 |顯示全部帖子

回覆樓主:

本帖最後由 daisy17772 於 17-10-10 09:29 編輯

continue...

or else,if ESF is highly selective for this grade?  those who aren't the tops won't stand a chance at all? !

Any thoughts are highly appreciated.

發表於 17-10-10 09:50 |顯示全部帖子

回覆樓主:

本帖最後由 Activehealth 於 17-10-16 08:59 編輯

They have started part of the IGCSE syllabus in Year 9. Normally they would not admit any new students in Year 10 except the ones transferring from other ESF secondary schools.

Yes, they are highly selective, supply and demand. When the supply is limited, they'll only select the top students.

No chance to interview except when there are vacancies.

Having said that there will be more vacancies for Year 12, as many are leaving after IGCSE.

發表於 17-10-10 09:54 |顯示全部帖子
daisy17772 發表於 17-10-10 09:26
I am wondering if anyone can share with me their previous experience or whatever they have known abo ...

Yes, they need a referral letter from current school. You can postpone the submission but have to hand it in before school offering formal acceptance.

My friend had run into the same problem, she got one of the friendly teachers at current school to write it, not the principal/vice principal or anyone in management.

發表於 17-10-10 10:43 |顯示全部帖子
Activehealth 發表於 17-10-10 09:54
Yes, they need a referral letter from current school. You can postpone the submission but have to h ...

hi Activehealth,

thanks for your info.

seems she won't stand a chance at all. do you think that calling the school would help to know about the possible vacancies?

May I know what grade that your friend's kid applied for?  I am also thinking of my younger son who is now p5. how the chance for applying grade 9 ? how much in advance to start the application? the ideal situation for him is to switch at year 9. but I am thinking if the vacancies are rare at senior years, then should I place him on waiting list through general application now?

thanks again for your comments

發表於 17-10-10 11:49 |顯示全部帖子
daisy17772 發表於 17-10-10 10:43
hi Activehealth,

thanks for your info.

Should definitely ring the school to find out the latest situation and if there are vacancies.

If no vancancies and you are quite desperate for your girl to get in, should apply for Island School now, which is going to relocate to Shatin/Tai Wai for few years after Christmas this year and they may have vancancies (please contact ESF admission for details). Once she is in, can apply to transfer back to South Island School.

Your boy should apply for Year 7 now.

My friend's boy applied for Year 12, got in last year. Apparently it's not that hard to get in, as they have so many vacancies for Year 12.

發表於 17-10-10 12:26 |顯示全部帖子
There are immediate places available in Year 9 & 10 @ Island School, whereas only Year 12 places available @ South Island School.
myimage.jpg

myimage.jpg

myimage.jpg

發表於 17-10-10 14:47 |顯示全部帖子
Activehealth 發表於 17-10-10 12:26
There are immediate places available in Year 9 & 10 @ Island School, whereas only Year 12 places ava ...

so much thanks!  where exactly is the location of island school in shatin? how's the transfer back to south island can be done ?

Thanks again

發表於 17-10-10 20:50 |顯示全部帖子
daisy17772 發表於 17-10-10 14:47
so much thanks!  where exactly is the location of island school in shatin? how's the transfer back  ...

School bus only reaches to Central or admiralty area from shatin.

發表於 17-10-10 21:03 |顯示全部帖子
lui 發表於 17-10-10 20:50

thanks for the info.

發表於 17-10-10 22:49 |顯示全部帖子
daisy17772 發表於 17-10-10 14:47
so much thanks!  where exactly is the location of island school in shatin? how's the transfer back  ...

It was in the news
myimage.jpg

發表於 17-10-11 00:05 |顯示全部帖子
lui 發表於 17-10-10 20:50

本帖最後由 Activehealth 於 17-10-11 00:12 編輯

Your information is incorrect.

There are 9 IS school bus routes from HK island which go direct to the 2 campuses Sun Chui & Pok Hong.

The return buses
Going Home Bus: Queen's Rd East (Cosmo Hotel bus stop) -> Kennedy Rd -> 1 Robinson Rd -> Robinson Rd -> Kotewall Rd -> Conduit Rd
Going Home Bus: GPO
Not just Central/Admiralty as mentioned in your post.

http://island.edu.hk/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/bus-routes-Aug-2017-for-web.pdf

myimage.jpg

myimage.jpg

myimage.jpg