用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 ISF Graduate Selected as VAledictorian of Princeton ...
樓主: tingtingting
go

ISF Graduate Selected as VAledictorian of Princeton Class of 2017 [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 17-4-27 19:45 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 FattyDaddy 於 17-4-27 19:46 編輯
cowmoon 發表於 17-4-27 17:01
Five years from now, she will probably have earned her PhD from Stanford.

After Stanford? She is not coming back to HK to pursue her career?

Don't try to muddy the issue, the point in quoting that passage (with or without the 4 words) is to highlight her wish to return to HK, which is very admirable. I really don't see why some people try to read so much into it, other than because they have a chip on their shoulder.

22#
發表於 17-4-27 20:03 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 cowmoon 於 17-4-27 20:05 編輯
FattyDaddy 發表於 17-4-27 19:45
After Stanford? She is not coming back to HK to pursue her career?

Don't try to muddy the issue, t ...

Interesting!

It is for sure in that article that she did not mention her intention to pursue her career in HK or other places in the world after she completes her PhD in Stanford.

I did not try to muddy the issue. I was just fact checking ... easily by reading the same article, which is written in simple english. Just want to clarify in this thread so that other readers won't be misled by your incomplete quote. Misrepresentation and misinterpretation make me uncomfortable.

From the tone of your message, I believe that your selection of words in the quote was intentional. Well, it's only my belief so no need to debate with me.

Anyway, wish you good luck!

23#
發表於 17-4-27 20:11 |只看該作者
cowmoon 發表於 17-4-27 20:03
It is for sure in that article that she did not mention her intention to pursue her career in HK ...
So read that paragraph I quoted again (with or without the 4 words), are you telling me it doesn't suggest she has an interest to contribute to HK? So I'm misleading others by saying she intends to return to HK?
If you read so much negativity into other's comments, you're on your way to join our friend NoahArk in the psychiatric ward.

24#
發表於 17-4-27 20:26 |只看該作者
FattyDaddy 發表於 17-4-27 20:11
So read that paragraph I quoted again (with or without the 4 words), are you telling me it doesn't s ...

Well, now you change your wordings to "an interest to contribute to HK"

From the article:-

"Over the coming summer, Chow will return to Hong Kong, where she plans to design a humanities curriculum for an education center as well as organize and teach at a summer camp run by a nongovernmental organization that helps Mainland-Chinese immigrant children adapt to the local school environment."

Yes, from that piece of information, we can comfortably conclude that "she is coming back to contribute to HK this summer".

But you said in message #12  
" I "selectively" quoted that passage because it indicates her wish to return to HK to develop her career."

It is definitely not established based on the information from that article. Nothing was mentioned in the article specifically about pursuing career.

25#
發表於 17-4-27 20:35 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 FattyDaddy 於 17-4-27 20:40 編輯
cowmoon 發表於 17-4-27 20:26
It is definitely not established based on the information from that article. Nothing was mentioned in the article specifically about pursuing career. :-

Ha, OK, you win, we don't know where she is going. I should not have quoted a passage that shows her admirable interests in HK. Jeez ...

https://www.quora.com/Human-Resource-Management-How-should-you-deal-with-someone-who-has-a-chip-on-their-shoulder

26#
發表於 17-4-27 21:42 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 cowmoon 於 17-4-27 22:08 編輯
FattyDaddy 發表於 17-4-27 20:35
Ha, OK, you win, we don't know where she is going. I should not have quoted a passage that shows he ...

I do agree with you that her planned work and contribution in HK coming summer should be praised and admired:-
"design a humanities curriculum for an education center as well as organize and teach at a summer camp run by a nongovernmental organization that helps Mainland-Chinese immigrant children adapt to the local school environment"

Similarly to all her other contribution to the community in or outside HK:
"She volunteers as a tour guide with the Princeton University Art Museum and has tutored in prisons in New Jersey with the Petey Greene Program. In her junior year, she launched a prison-teaching initiative, Princeton Reentry and Employment Preparation (PREP). Chow developed an eight-week curriculum for students to learn about the job application procedure, including resume and cover letter writing and interview training. The program now includes 20 Princeton student volunteers who teach at four correctional facilities."

It is just not the case, based on the information from that article, that those work or contribution (in or outside HK) should be linked with her career development plan or decision.  
And her long term plan, at this moment based on the article, is "pursue a Ph.D. in comparative literature at Stanford University"

That's the reason I found your messages misleading and needed to clarify here. Thank you.  

27#
發表於 17-4-27 22:22 |只看該作者
cowmoon 發表於 17-4-27 21:42
It is just not the case, based on the information from that article ...
Hmm, you find it difficult to put it to rest?
Based on the information from the article, it is reasonable for any good willed person to assume she plans to return to HK to pursue her career. Granted, it's not explicitly written, and what you have "clarified" is that she may not be returning to HK, and I guess you think you're the positive one. Fine, suit yourself :)

‹ 上一主題|下一主題