教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Change in application policy for ESF
樓主: Chase922
go

Change in application policy for ESF   [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 17-4-5 15:45 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 FattyDaddy 於 17-4-5 16:12 編輯
nintendo 發表於 17-4-5 14:55
here in EK that many parents thought the previous arrangement was not fair, allowing parents to hold multiple offers.
There were so many hateful and insulting massages here on EK ...

I don't think there is absolute fairness in this world, and ESF is already relatively fair in that people can only apply to one Foundation school according to their residential address and not all Foundation schools. There are many International Schools outside of ESF and there is nothing to stop anyone from applying to all of them and theoretically hold onto a dozen places if they don't mind paying all the registration fees and deposits, no one seems to think that is not fair.

If there is any dissatisfaction it should really be directed towards those people who have a "stamp collector" mentality and not any particular school.

22#
發表於 17-4-5 16:22 |只看該作者
On second thought, maybe less people will be applying to one school and so at the end, more people will get an interview chance.

23#
發表於 17-4-5 16:30 |只看該作者
FattyDaddy 發表於 17-4-5 15:45
I don't think there is absolute fairness in this world, and ESF is already relatively fair in that  ...

Fyi, not my words but it was comments of other parents.
Like you said, there is no absolute fairness anyway, so what is wrong with the new arrangement then.
No matter what ESF do, there will be people complaining anyway.
One thing good about it, if there are parents who think it is not fair, just forget about ESF.
Go to apply to other schools.

24#
發表於 17-4-5 16:42 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 ChocoMilk33 於 17-4-5 16:49 編輯

It seems the new arrangement can simplify the procedures and save parents' monetary and time cost, so why not?!

25#
發表於 17-4-5 16:48 |只看該作者
nintendo 發表於 17-4-5 16:30
so what is wrong with the new arrangement then ...
There is nothing "wrong" with the new arrangement, just that it has become more restrictive and more difficult for applicants, no second choices, no second chances within ESF.

26#
發表於 17-4-5 16:49 |只看該作者
FattyDaddy 發表於 17-4-5 16:48
There is nothing "wrong" with the new arrangement, just that it has become more restrictive and more ...

Some happy, some not happy.
Cannot please everyone anyway.

27#
發表於 17-4-5 17:55 |只看該作者
Chase922 發表於 17-4-5 14:21
Extracted from RCHK Fb page:

The new system is on the ONE application (one fee only), ONE interview ...

This, in fact, contradicts with your previous post saying that the candidate will get a second interview with his second choice if he fails his original interview with his first choice.

If that is the case, it will be bad news for ESF kindy, and sibling priority candidates, who used to have priorities TWICE in applying for BOTH ESF foundation AND PIS schools; will only have priority ONCE when applying for foundation school OR PIS school, over others without any priority.

28#
發表於 17-4-5 18:31 |只看該作者
Chase922 發表於 17-4-5 07:09
Effective from August 2017, Year 1 and Year 7 Central Admissions process for August 2018 entry will  ...

Given a Foundation school is many people's first choice, will this new change result in the foundation school being able to pick the best of students before the PIS do?

29#
發表於 17-4-5 22:01 |只看該作者

回覆樓主:

本帖最後由 VVhuilee 於 17-4-5 22:02 編輯

I do think it is a better arrangement for everyone.I have always imagine what we would do if we have offer from RC but only on reserved list for Foundation school (which would be our first choice).... or even not given the opportunity for interview to the foundation school at all. As their kinder's students, we are at least guarantee would be interviewed!But I do think they may be more selective!!Those with sibling priority cannot just sit back and relax! not sure if they would still give a second chance as they do now.I wonder if they would still draw random # for each applicant as this is not applicable to PIS today.

30#
發表於 17-4-5 22:34 |只看該作者
Activehealth 發表於 17-4-5 17:55
This, in fact, contradicts with your previous post saying that the candidate will get a second inte ...

I didn't say so. I just said only had an interview chance with the second choice if the first choice does not offer an interview.

31#
發表於 17-4-5 22:39 |只看該作者
Chase922 發表於 17-4-5 22:34
I didn't say so. I just said only had an interview chance with the second choice if the first choic ...

OIC.
Thanks for clarifying.

32#
發表於 17-4-5 23:56 |只看該作者
Shuidudu 發表於 17-4-5 18:31
Given a Foundation school is many people's first choice, will this new change result in the foundat ...

The foundation schools do not get to pick students BEFORE PIS.

If you fail your interview with foundation school (your first choice), you are out of ESF totally. No second chance to attend interview with PIS (your second choice).
PIS will interview students that put them as first choice first anyway.
Basically foundation schools and PIS schools will interview totally different pool of students.

33#
發表於 17-4-5 23:58 |只看該作者
VVhuilee 發表於 17-4-5 22:01
But I do think they may be more selective!!Those with sibling priority cannot just sit back and relax!

Yes. They were already a lot more selective this year.

34#
發表於 17-4-6 07:16 |只看該作者
VVhuilee 發表於 17-4-5 22:01
I do think it is a better arrangement for everyone.I have always imagine what we would do if we have ...

but further thoughts, we are most likely  guaranteed to be interviewed but not necessary the first choice.... but if parent already need to decide upfront, I am hoping there would be sufficent spots to interview all kinder students.

35#
發表於 17-4-6 10:43 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 FattyDaddy 於 17-4-6 10:46 編輯
VVhuilee 發表於 17-4-6 07:16
but further thoughts, we are most likely  guaranteed to be interviewed but not necessary the first  ...

Put it this way, in the current arrangement, if your child is in an ESF kindergarten, he/she can make 3 separate applications to 3 schools and enjoy interview priority in all 3, and the 3 assessments are done separately and independently. In other words it would be like applying to 3 unrelated schools, all of which give interview priority to your child.

In the new arrangement, your child can submit only 1 application, enjoy interview priority to only 1 school, and will be assessed only once.

I honestly think the new arrangement will only bring more disappointment to applicants, not less.

36#
發表於 17-4-6 12:57 |只看該作者
FattyDaddy 發表於 17-4-6 10:43
Put it this way, in the current arrangement, if your child is in an ESF kindergarten, he/she can ma ...

That's what I think too.

Not candidates from ESF kindergartens but candidates with sibling priority as well.

37#
發表於 17-4-6 13:32 |只看該作者
VVhuilee 發表於 17-4-6 07:16
but further thoughts, we are most likely  guaranteed to be interviewed but not necessary the first  ...

There will be huge problems for ESF kindergarten children if their first choice is very popular and it is a small school.

For example, a child name Sam has choices (1) BHS (2) RC (3) DC.

Sam will of course have priority with BHS. But BHS is small and if he was not even granted interview chance, he will have to go to RC for interview.

Now, even more problems!

He has chosen RC as second choice. Now obviously, RC will interview those that put RC as first choice first. And the situation is that Sam will be in the queue at RC behind ESF kindergarten children (and other kids with priority) that chose RC as first choice AND probably also behind non-ESF kindergarten children that chose RC as first choice.

To be honest, I do not think RC is really less popular. Many people consider it their first choice. So RC will get filled up very soon probably even with handling applications that put them as their first choice. And Sam again will probably end up being directed to choice number three which is DC and now he is at the further end of the queue.

To sum up, if you MISSED the chance to get any interview with choice number one, you have near zero chance to get into ESF. The choices 2 and 3 are really jokes!

This new arrangement is good news to non-esf kindergarten kids but bad news for esf kindergarten kids.

38#
發表於 17-4-6 15:09 |只看該作者
Cara2006 發表於 17-4-6 13:32
There will be huge problems for ESF kindergarten children if their first choice is very popular and ...

How do other ESF kindergarten candidates have priority over Sam in getting the interview with BHS?

Are they going to assign the random numbers too, like what they do to the non priority candidates now?

How about the candidates with sibling priority? Are they going to do the same too?

39#
發表於 17-4-6 16:26 |只看該作者
Activehealth 發表於 17-4-6 15:09
How do other ESF kindergarten candidates have priority over Sam in getting the interview with BHS?

Only my wild guess what would happen.I am only trying to guess what will happen to a typical ESF kindergarten kids if he applies to a small ESF primary school.
The situation would be horrible if the total number of available places cannot even accommodate all kids that enjoys priority (including alumni, siblings, ESF kindie etc).
What is the present situation?
How they rank these priority kids?

40#
發表於 17-4-6 19:26 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 happymama2007 於 17-4-6 19:27 編輯
FattyDaddy 發表於 17-4-6 10:43
Put it this way, in the current arrangement, if your child is in an ESF kindergarten, he/she can ma ...

100% agree...that means there will be more non-ESF kindergarten kids who can have interview and we need to compete with them!
‹ 上一主題|下一主題