搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Change in application policy for ESF
樓主: Chase922
go

Change in application policy for ESF   [複製鏈接]

101#
發表於 17-4-10 21:56 |只看該作者
貝珠 發表於 17-4-10 21:50
Non - selective 意思係主要看英語溝通能力,社交能力,pass 到requirement 之後再按priority及random num ...

估唔到是這樣收生啊!還以爲必是A學生入選.

102#
發表於 17-4-10 23:11 |只看該作者
貝珠 發表於 17-4-10 21:50
Non - selective 意思係主要看英語溝通能力,社交能力,pass 到requirement 之後再按priority及random num ...
你好。想問下你呢個資訊係邊度搵到架?同埋PIS 都係一樣?

103#
發表於 17-4-10 23:16 |只看該作者
happymama2007 發表於 17-4-10 23:11
你好。想問下你呢個資訊係邊度搵到架?同埋PIS 都係一樣?

Esf website 有寫, 扒下EK 文都有人講。 至於RC , 呢度有人話係(我也覺得係) selective , 佢話"give offer to those with higher readiness " 之類的用語

104#
發表於 17-4-11 00:35 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 nintendo 於 17-4-11 01:03 編輯

I think RC has always been more selective. The reason is that they are doing IBMYP in secondary school and IBMYP is honestly quite challenging (lots of writing and the curriculum is not easy). And thus they want to ensure the most (if not all) students are really ready to handle the curriculum and work load.

Unfortunately (but may be a good thing to some), foundation schools will all be switching to IB through train too. Thus all foundation schools will also tend to select students with other qualities on top of English proficiency.

Having said that, I think parents should not freak out. We are talking about Year One application only.

Check the official website for the actual criteria of how they select children.

105#
發表於 17-4-14 21:55 |只看該作者
nintendo 發表於 17-4-5 12:24
I think this is a good arrangement. At the moment, there are people that get 2 or 3 offers and yet  ...

i agree!

apart fr preventing 1 kid fr holding more than 1 offer, the applicant will pay 1 application fee instead of 3 !!!!

106#
發表於 17-5-10 09:51 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 littlesun 於 17-5-10 09:53 編輯

I just called the admission enquiry hotline for more details. At this stage, a lot of details have not been finalized which makes me more concerned...

So far under the new system:

1. Three schools are selected in the preference order in the application form.
2. An interview random number will be assigned to each of the preference.
3. If the random number of the 1st preference is outside the interview quota, you will fall into the 2nd preference.
4. If you are unlucky enough to be outside the interview quota of the 2nd preference again, then you will go into the 3rd preference.
5. Accordingly to what the lady said and my understanding, all applicants should be assigned an interview (only one) of one ESF school based on the above policy.
6. Interview period of all ESF school starts.
7. If the applicant is rejected after the interview, no more interview will be given.
8. If the applicant passes the interview but the random number assigned is beyond the number of vacancies, ***no interview of other ESF schools*** will be offered as well............
9. I asked if any assistance would be provided to the ESF kindies by ESF kindergarten in such cases, the lady said they haven't had any policy about it at this moment.

The lady claimed the new system is to increase the successful chance doe ESF kindies into ESF primary schools. I can't understand nor agree at this moment...

All these above are the direction but not confirmed yet, so she strongly recommended us to send our concern and suggestions to them via email.

107#
發表於 17-5-10 11:57 |只看該作者
littlesun 發表於 17-5-10 09:51
I just called the admission enquiry hotline for more details. At this stage, a lot of details have n ...
How it can increase the successful rate for ESF kindy into ESF primary? Previously 3 seperate interviews mean 3 chances, if only 1 interview will be guaranteed, then pass or fail just rely on the only chance.

108#
發表於 17-5-10 19:42 |只看該作者
babyonboard 發表於 17-5-10 11:57
How it can increase the successful rate for ESF kindy into ESF primary? Previously 3 seperate interv ...
Exactly! Now there's a quite high possibility that you pass the admission criteria but poor ranking number and hence don't get an offer.
Before you have three chances. Now you have one and only one...... Like gambling but a big one! I don't want bet my boy's future......

109#
發表於 17-5-10 20:45 |只看該作者
littlesun 發表於 17-5-10 19:42
Exactly! Now there's a quite high possibility that you pass the admission criteria but poor ranking  ...

会唔会係咁,以前可能有人hold三個位,好遲都唔放,令學校reject學生,新制度唔会再有這情況

110#
發表於 17-5-10 21:40 |只看該作者
littlesun 發表於 17-5-10 19:42
Exactly! Now there's a quite high possibility that you pass the admission criteria but poor ranking  ...

You can get the individual nomination right for 500K (foundation schools) and 400K (PIS), then no need to "gamble your child's future".

Your child will be guaranteed a place once the interview is passed.

111#
發表於 17-5-11 00:23 |只看該作者
Activehealth 發表於 17-5-10 21:40
You can get the individual nomination right for 500K (foundation schools) and 400K (PIS), then no n ...
You are definitely right but yet there are only 150 NR quotas for all ESF schools. Eventually there must be cases that the kids pass the interview but still can't get an offer due to poor ranking number. It's true that the new policy would cut down the possibilities of holding more than one offer by one applicant, but the number of students who pass the interview must (or should) be greater than the number of vacancies. I hope you would understand what I was talking is the cons of the new policy and "gamble my child's future" is only my personal feeling to the new policy but no offense.

112#
發表於 17-5-11 03:03 |只看該作者
poonseelai 發表於 17-5-10 20:45
会唔会係咁,以前可能有人hold三個位,好遲都唔放...
While that is entirely possible I can't imagine it being a common practice.

During the first round of interviews, all ESF schools make their offers at the same time and have the same reply-by deadline, so people who receive multiple offers would simply accept the offer from their favourite school, pay the money to secure that place, and decline the other offers. What would be the point in accepting and paying a lot of money (e.g. $90k for RC) for a place at a second ESF school which the child is just not going to attend?

The only situation where people might hold on to a place which they don't really want is if during the first round the child does not get an interview with the favourite school but receives one from a backup school, and the child passes the interview with the backup school and receives an offer, then it would be reasonable to accept and pay for the place at the backup school while continuing to wait for the favourite school. If at some later date the favourite school also gives an interview and the child also passes and receives an offer, then one might accept the favourite school and give up the backup school. Courteous people would release the place at the backup school as soon as they accept the favourite school, but there is nothing to stop someone with a nasty trait to hold on to the unwanted place for as long as they like. Some people might think since they have paid much money for the place they want to "get their money's worth" by wasting as much time as possible, but I don't think there are many such people around.

I firmly believe this new policy has very little to do with preventing people from holding multiple ESF places for extensive periods, its main purpose is to lessen the amount of extra administrative work the backup schools (we all know which ones they are) have to do when many of their offers are declined or places are released. With the new policy, a child will at most get one interview, one offer, from one school, so the chances of offers declined or places released are low.

點評

littlesun  Can't agree more!   發表於 17-5-11 10:11

113#
發表於 17-5-11 08:32 |只看該作者
FattyDaddy 發表於 17-5-11 03:03
While that is entirely possible I can't imagine it being a common practice.

During the first round  ...

我都相信最大原因是減少行政負擔,以往多人選foundation school同學費差異有無關?現差異收窄情況会否不同?foundation school and say, RC,中文水平有別,理应家長知自己最想要什麼,定我想得太簡單?

114#
發表於 17-5-11 10:33 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 nintendo 於 17-5-12 01:17 編輯
poonseelai 發表於 17-5-11 08:32
我都相信最大原因是減少行政負擔,以往多人選foundation school同學費差異有無關?現差異收窄情況会否不同?foundation school and say, RC,中文水平有別,理应家長知自己最想要什麼,定我想得太簡單?

To be honest, RC is really very remote for most parents. There are not that many parents that do not mind a small kid travelling from the island to RC.
So the majority of parents would choose foundation school.
Of course, there are still some that choose RC as first choice.
And there are some that decided to choose neither but another school.
Who knows? So no need to speculate why a parent chose one school over the other.
But it was obvious parents that can afford ESF, RC and possibly other IS, can afford to and do not really care to lose the deposit payment once they were offered something better (better in their opinion).
And most of these people were either inconsiderate or selfish or whatever, and never informed the school they would not attend that school.
Some people probably thought, oh I paid the deposit, I have the RIGHT TO HOLD the place.
Sure, they had their right to hold. But I would say these are selfish people anyway.
Not sure it was as serious a problem in the past (I mean 8-10 years ago when RC first started out), but I am sure it is getting more serious the last couple of years and from what I read on the RC Facebook page, they seem to be quite pissed I would say.
Too bad isn't it.
This just shows how horrible what some people did in the past would affect schools and other parents.
前人自私,後人受罪。

115#
發表於 17-5-11 10:35 |只看該作者
FattyDaddy 發表於 17-5-11 03:03
Some people might think since they have paid much money for the place they want to "get their money's worth" by wasting as much time as possible, but I don't think there are many such people around.

I do think there were that many of these people unfortunately.

點評

FattyDaddy  That would be sad   發表於 17-5-11 11:56

116#
發表於 17-5-13 11:49 |只看該作者
I have called the ESF admission office yesterday.

1.       Are the admission criteria the same across all ESF foundation schools and PIS?

They said yes. RC, DC and esf foundation schools share the same standard

2.       In case one foundation school  (or PIS)  is oversubscribed, and you are with bad random number, an interview can still be granted by that school (admission officer said for those ESF kinder students, they are quite sure that interview will be granted from first choice school) . However, you may be given offer by your second choice school without additional interview. In case your second choice has no vacancy, you will be put on wait list of your first choice.

3.       For ESF kinder students, the priority is higher than students in other kindergartens even if that esf kinder students were put on their 2nd choice school (due to oversubscription of their first choice schools). E.g. If A (who is from ESF kinder) chooses SJS as first choice with bad random number, A will be interviewed by SJS. If A passed but no vacancy in SJS, A will be offered a spot in his second choice without additional interview.

Questions need further clarification:

1.       If any child who cannot attend the interview due to sickness, will there be any special arrangement?

2.       Will PIS or ESF foundation schools send teachers to ESF kindergarten to observe the students?

117#
發表於 17-5-13 12:54 |只看該作者
nintendo 發表於 17-5-11 10:35
I do think there were that many of these people unfortunately.
Can't imagine if there are many of these people and they are also parents...... too selfish......

118#
發表於 17-5-13 13:07 |只看該作者
貝珠 發表於 17-5-13 11:49
If it's the case, it's not that pessimistic to their new policy. But it's quite different from what I got from the admission office a few days ago...
I asked the lady if any interview/offer from the second and third choice if the kid passes the interview of first choice but no offer due to over subscription, she replied "unfortunately no". Not sure if I didn't ask the question properly and there's misunderstanding, or they amended the new policy (but it's still not finalized yet)?!

I actually suggest the applicants should still have interviews from three kindergartens as now, but only one offer will be granted accordingly to the preference stated. Yet if they confirm all ESF schools share the same standard, i.e. you pass one ESF school = you pass all ESF schools, then I think it's very close to what I expect.

However, I saw from here that PIS now is not non-selective as other ESF foundation schools. If based on what the admission officer replied to you, are they going to change their policy to be non-selective?

119#
發表於 17-5-13 13:25 |只看該作者
貝珠 發表於 17-5-13 11:49

May i clarify one point?
For kids having passed the assessment, kids with priority will still be admitted first?

120#
發表於 17-5-13 13:50 |只看該作者
pinkmania 發表於 17-5-13 13:25
May i clarify one point?
For kids having passed the assessment, kids with priority will still be ad ...

Yes , this is what I got in the phone conversation.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題