搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 RC waiting list
樓主: Mimihoppe
go

RC waiting list [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 17-3-8 20:25 |只看該作者
FattyDaddy 發表於 17-3-8 19:55
Haha, no, the CAPS was my exaggeration :)
OK I dug up RC's letter from a few years back and followi ...

Years ago, my son's offering letter is--

'We are pleased to confirm that we are able to offer xxx a place in Year 1 at Renaissance College.'
Nothing special (emoji)

22#
發表於 17-3-8 20:28 |只看該作者
FYR the offer letter says this:

"We are pleased to confirm that we are able to offer XXXXX a place in Year 1 at Renaissance College, for the academic year commencing August 2017."

23#
發表於 17-3-8 20:42 |只看該作者
Radiomama 發表於 17-3-8 20:25
Years ago, my son's offering letter is--

'We are pleased to confirm that we are able to offer xxx  ...
Thanks, I guess this rumour of RC "over offering" is a result of RC's somewhat liberal use of the word "offer" :)
"formally offering a place on the wait list" is not really an offer in the normal sense.

24#
發表於 17-3-8 20:47 |只看該作者
I find the idea of over-offering intriguing.. it makes sense in a way, but can it really be true?

And IF it was true what happens if they have more children accepting than they have spaces for?

25#
發表於 17-3-8 21:02 |只看該作者
LuckySesame 發表於 17-3-8 20:47
I find the idea of over-offering intriguing.. it makes sense in a way, but can it really be true?
Given that the number of applicants is 4 times the number of available places, there is no chance of places not being filled, so what is there to gain by over offering? The only benefit is they might fill the places sooner, but they would run the risk of candidates accepting and paying deposit for places they don't have.
A school is not like an airline where overbooking is part of usual business. If there are more passengers than there are seats, the airline simply offer some incentive or compensation to those who are willing to take the next flight, but a school can't tell a candidate to come back next year to start Y1 :)

點評

LuckySesame  yes agreed :)  發表於 17-3-8 21:35

26#
發表於 17-3-8 22:13 |只看該作者
FattyDaddy 發表於 17-3-8 21:02
Given that the number of applicants is 4 times the number of available places, there is no chance of ...

Agree. Don't know how this over offering mechanism works, but we have been told by admission they over offered. So even the no. 1 on the waitlist may not get a place after first round offer deadline. Does anyone on waitlist offer get call after first round?

27#
發表於 17-3-8 22:57 |只看該作者
Shuidudu 發表於 17-3-8 22:13
we have been told by admission they over offered. So even the no. 1 on the waitlist may not get a place after first round offer deadline ...
I guess what they really mean by "over offered" is for the 180 available places they have made 180 real offers which ask for deposit to secure a place, plus a number of "offers" for places on their reserve list, these aren't really offers but RC just like to call them that.

If RC had made more than 180 real offers, then they could get themselves into big trouble if more than 180 accept and pay deposit, how would RC deal with the extra children? If RC turn these children down with some excuse I'm sure the parents will sue RC.

28#
發表於 17-3-9 00:05 |只看該作者
What I mean by offers are really offers. There is no reserve list in RC.

I am not selling the "over-offering" theory, though there has been such rumour around. It is simply strange that given the large number of first round offers turned down (mainly due to location) in favour of foundation schools, it is very odd that so few people in waitlist received calls for the last 1.5 weeks after the first round reply deadline of Feb 24. Perhaps there are other plausible reasons.

In any case, addressing the initial question, if so few waitlisters received calls so far, those who haven't yet stand very low chance (given 200-300 waitlists and you don't know your position). I imagine only a very small proportion of these will get offers finally.

29#
發表於 17-3-9 00:11 |只看該作者
Also, i think it would be a brilliant idea for schools like RC to over offer, as i said above that there is a high turn down ratio given its location. For the school, they can have the next best group of kids that want after the first 162 slots. For students, if they like RC, they won't have the delimma of already paid deposits for foundation schools (or other IS), only to find out later RC will also give offer, i.e. should i forfeit the deposit or should i not? This is exactly the question being considerd by some why prefer RC over BHS or KJS or SIS but initial on waitlist, and now get the call.

30#
發表於 17-3-9 00:20 |只看該作者
hong0706 發表於 17-3-9 00:05
What I mean by offers are really offers. There is no reserve list in RC ...
So replace "reserve list" with "wait list". A few years ago I did receive an "offer" from RC for a place on their wait list, that's how they worded it :)

Anyway, we are just guessing what the real situation is since RC is not disclosing much, I truly hope they won't get into the embarrassing situation of not having enough places for children who have accepted and paid, I believe it is not a small sum either, something like $80k.

31#
發表於 17-3-9 11:04 |只看該作者
hong0706 發表於 17-3-9 00:05
What I mean by offers are really offers. There is no reserve list in RC.

I am not selling the "over ...

I am not sure what you meant by "so few people in waitlist received calls".
How few? Someone mentioned there were 800 applicants, do you know most of them?

And I think in another topic, a few parents here already mentioned they have received calls from RC soon after the deadline to reply to the offer.
Considering the fact that most parents applying to RC DO NOT not come to EK, and even if they do, they have no obligation to report to EK that they have received a call. So there is no way of knowing the actual number of rejected offers and the actual number of people receiving calls after deadline.
You can imagine whatever is going on within RC in your head so that you can feel good about it.
But as parents, we need to be fair.

32#
發表於 17-3-9 11:16 |只看該作者
hong0706 發表於 17-3-9 00:11
Also, i think it would be a brilliant idea for schools like RC to over offer, as i said above that t ...

You are over-analysing.
Interviews were conducted, some got offers, some did not, some rejected offers, some got offers second round........
And then this would go on all the way until August and September.
And parents that have been with international schools or private schools like RC for years would have seen students come and go. Some leave the school for other schools, some leave the school for other countries. I have seen students come and go even in April or May.
So it is not a huge issue for RC to arrange for students to join anytime of the year.

33#
發表於 17-3-10 00:39 |只看該作者
FattyDaddy 發表於 17-3-9 00:20
So replace "reserve list" with "wait list". A few years ago I did receive an "offer" from RC for a p ...
The wording is not like that this year. Either an offer, or, something like your child is successful but due to limited places he or she will be put on waitlist.

I think they made good guesses in the first round (if they really over offer), otherwise, there will not be anyone in the waitlist that get called up.

34#
發表於 17-3-10 00:49 |只看該作者
Artie 發表於 17-3-9 11:04
I am not sure what you meant by "so few people in waitlist received calls".
How few? Someone ment ...
I am appalled to get challenged whether i know most of the 800 applicants. If that would be needed, i think most EK post should be shut down,

I am a TY parent and i do know lot of parents there, and there are several big whatsapp group, some over 100 parents. Of course, for you, that's so much short of 800 (or the 600 selected for interviews).

Of course, no one knows the "actual:" numbers of this or that which you are so insistent on, I just want to make use of the information i have to help up those that are waiting. If you don't like it, its up to you. In any event, this is not for you, it is for those applying year 1 this year.

Also, I really don't understand why you seem to feel so offended. If you are an RC parent. i have to say i like it very much and would choose it if not for its location (being too far away), and so do many other TY parents.  

35#
發表於 17-3-10 09:35 |只看該作者
My girl is studying Y1 in RC and we got call from school on last Oct. I knew one parent got call on last Sept. Therefore, everyone on wait list please don't give up. It still have hope after school begin

36#
發表於 17-3-10 09:55 |只看該作者
I kind of understand how "Artie" felt because I found it distributing too since those comments are not facts but assumption & guess. Don't understand how this analysis can get your kid in if one is so fond of RC.
Trust me, I've been there, you will be so eager to read every little piece of info anywhere just to learn where you stand and how close you are getting the real deal. Though the info has to be at least true to make a sound prediction if you want to call it.
The admission manager is really helpful, go straight to her for questions, i'm sure she will tell you whatever she can to ease your concern.
I'm sorry this post is not for me as well but i like the school so much i can't help peeking what's going on about it in EK  

37#
發表於 17-3-10 15:56 |只看該作者
raccoonmy 發表於 17-3-10 09:55
I kind of understand how "Artie" felt because I found it distributing too since those comments are n ...

sorry i don't agree. i would love to read people' comments and guess.i thank everyone who brings here some information.

38#
發表於 17-3-10 16:36 |只看該作者
hong0706 發表於 17-3-10 00:49
Also, I really don't understand why you seem to feel so offended.

You seem to believe in whatever is convenient to yourself.I did not feel offended. But I am sure you will come up with your own interpretation. I just want to say that, if you want to analyse the situation, you need to be fair.
The fact that you do not know a lot of people on the waitlist that got phone call from RC, does not automatically lead to a conclusion that RC did not call people.

39#
發表於 17-3-10 16:37 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 Artie 於 17-3-10 16:44 編輯
hong0706 發表於 17-3-10 00:49
In any event, this is not for you,

I see. I apologise for not obtaining approval from you first before I posted my messages.
May be you should message EK webmaster and have this topic limited exclusively to you and whoever you approve.

40#
發表於 17-3-13 21:03 |只看該作者
Artie 發表於 17-3-10 16:37
I see. I apologise for not obtaining approval from you first before I posted my messages.
May be yo ...
真幼稚
‹ 上一主題|下一主題