用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 海外留學 美國洛杉磯Top Colleges (e.g. Pomona, Stanford, Clar ...
發新帖
查看: 1162|回覆: 5
go

美國洛杉磯Top Colleges (e.g. Pomona, Stanford, Claremont MK) [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 16-3-2 10:30 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
請問有沒有用DSE成績被L.A. Top colleges成功取錄的? 請分享經驗(準備功夫,過程等), 謝謝。

1    0    0    0
Thanks
Mo-ma

2#
發表於 16-3-2 14:59 |只看該作者
You will not have DSE results to support your application because the admission cycle ends before the DSE results are known, unless you defer one year to apply for admission.

As far as academic performance is concerned, the US colleges would rely on your GPA in your school, SAT (I and II) results and the recommendations from teachers

3#
發表於 16-3-2 16:08 |只看該作者

回覆:Shootastar 的帖子

Thanks for your prompt reply shootastar...

To be honest I really have no clue what kind a prep work required and how it works etc.

My son is now in Secondary 4 and the school is a traditional subsidised English school.  So I am not sure if there is a recognizable or meaningful GPA for their reference.  Does it matter at all?

For SAT I and II, do you know when typically the students will take them?  Will that be some kind of tests usually taken a few times until students can achieve a better score for application?

My son is studying Physics, Biology, IT and M1 and interested in technology courses (I guess Computer Science or Compute Engineering etc).  Any good colleges you would be able to recommend?  Do you think its worthy to speak to one of those overseas study agency to find out more?  If there is also recommendation please p.m. me.

Appreciate you help!

Thanks
Mo-ma

4#
發表於 16-3-2 16:30 |只看該作者
回覆 mo-ma 的帖子

It is quite a different game in applying for admission to top US colleges. The admission rate of Stanford is ridiculously low for international students. You can check the admission rates of international students from their website. For Stanford, I would image that it admit about 100+ international students. That means you have to be the top top top students among your cohort in your country.
I suggest that you engage a consultant to explain the game plan to you. Your kid is in Form 4. He should make applications for admission in September 2017 to December 2017. I suggest that you engage an education consultant to explain to you the game plan now before it is too late.

5#
發表於 16-3-13 17:25 |只看該作者
What I suggest if applying top top colleges:

1. College admission consideration - holistic including SAT I & II, GPA (secondary 4, 5 and mock exam, admission officer knows how to calculate. AP test score is a bonus), EC, recommendation letter, personal statement, essays and international achievements (if available, e.g, IMO),

2. Take 2-3 times SAT, score 2250 and above is good enough. Last test on October, 2017 is preferable.

3. Top engineering college in CA - Caltech, Stanford, Berkeley and Harvey Mudd.

4. Admission rate for international student: I would say around 3%.

5. It definitely helps if you do not ask for financial aid. Annual fee and expenses is over US$55,000 for international student.  

6. Besides taking advice from educational consultants, you should review colleges' website having a deeper understanding. You can get basic information from www.collegeboard.org

Hope it helps!

6#
發表於 16-3-13 18:18 |只看該作者

回覆:美國洛杉磯Top Colleges (e.g. Pomona, Stanford, Claremont MK)

For US, they look at up to 4 years of secondary school report. They also look for students with lots of non-academic achievements. Which should probably include one performing arts (eg musical instrument) and one sport.

‹ 上一主題|下一主題