教育王國 討論區 教育講場 English Question
發新帖
查看: 1019|回覆: 13
go

English Question [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 05-5-6 21:35 |只看該作者

English Question

Anyone know for the possession form of Name with letter "s" at last like Louis, do we put 's or we only put ' after Louis and make the possession form as Louis'?  I saw both form of "Louis's" and "Louis' " in some articles.

2#
發表於 05-5-7 05:12 |只看該作者

Re: English Question

The proper way is to put "'s" behind all names ending in "s" (e.g. Louis's sweater, Charles's book) with a few exceptions (ancient proper names ending in -es and -is, possessive of Jesus (i.e. Jesus'), or forms such as "for righteousness' sake")

You're right, it's a common mistake nowadays for people to write "Louis' sweater"

3#
發表於 05-5-7 12:00 |只看該作者

PM2003,

Thanks for your reply in my question.  Your answer is exactly what I learnt from my textbook.  However, it confused me because I saw an article (written by a prof in translation field) with the posessive form written as "Louis' " recently and just wondered if both forms are acceptable.

Now you make me clear and I won't teach my girl the wrong way then!  Thanks again!

4#
發表於 05-5-8 13:17 |只看該作者

PM2003 寫道:
The proper way is to put "'s" behind all names ending in "s" (e.g. Louis's sweater, Charles's book) with a few exceptions (ancient proper names ending in -es and -is, possessive of Jesus (i.e. Jesus'), or forms such as "for righteousness' sake")

You're right, it's a common mistake nowadays for people to write "Louis' sweater"

No, I don't think so. When a name with -s ending, we leave out the possessive -s.

5#
發表於 05-5-8 17:05 |只看該作者

Yes, it's a very common misconception.  I used to make the same mistake (actually still do sometimes).  Took a year for my high school teacher to beat that into my head.

Do refer yourself to some reliable grammar reference guide.  

6#
發表於 05-5-8 18:29 |只看該作者

PM2003, thanks!

7#
發表於 05-5-8 18:31 |只看該作者

Any more sharing from the others?  It would be better if some supporting materials can be demonstrated!

8#
發表於 05-5-8 23:30 |只看該作者

《英語用法指南 Practical English Usage》, Michael Swan, Oxford.

名詞所有的構成通常是在單數名次後加 ’s 以及在複數名詞後加 ’; 不規則的複數名詞加 ’s。   Example: my father’s car / my parents’ car / the children’s future

單數名字結尾是s時通常加 ’s, 英語尤其如是。  Example: Denis’s new job / Charles’s wife

但是,比較古老的,外語的,以及古典的(如古希獵及羅馬的)名字則只加 ’。   Example: Socrates’ ideas / Guy Fawkes’ night / Tacitus’ prose style

[size=medium]多謝提出呢條問題.  原來唔查過都唔知, Louis' 同 Louis's 都岩架!!! 我又學到野喇~~~~   

9#
發表於 05-5-9 10:13 |只看該作者

Caremyson 寫道:
When a name with -s ending, we leave out the possessive -s.

我記得以前讀書時老師都是咁樣教.現在才知道兩個用法都對.但比較而言,現時學校流行那種用法呢?避免將來與老師衝突,無謂引經據典啦!

10#
發表於 05-5-9 15:29 |只看該作者

For playing safe, I think we better add 's for all possessive form because it's quite difficult for a non native speaker to identify which name is come from ancient or external (like Latin or etc).  Of course, this is my personal opinion only!

11#
發表於 05-5-9 15:30 |只看該作者

Teresa, thanks a lot for spending time in searching for the correct answer for all of us!  (I'm a bit lazy compare to you...ha ha!)

12#
發表於 05-5-9 15:31 |只看該作者

Pls read carefully what Teresa has quoted from Swan's "ractical English Usage."  Singular noun's possessive form is usually done by adding "'s" at the end of the singular noun, with the exception of ancient proper names and a few other terms (as quoted earlier).  Note that "Louis" is a singular (proper) noun, and it's not (in its usual context) any form of ancient proper names.  Thus the correct possessive form should be "Louis's" or "Charles's."

There was an excellent book recommended by my professor many years ago on grammar and its practical usage.  I can't locate it now but if I find it I will quote the rule exactly as it's stated for everyone's reference.  The book's written by Strunk & White if anyone has it.

A word of caution - new words or terms might spring up in the English language (e.g. slangs) but grammar is a timeless thing.  It's either correct or incorrect; it doesn't change with time.

This is just to ensure that we parents are teaching the right grammar to our children.  Sorry if I came across as being argumentative in any way.  

:

13#
發表於 05-5-9 16:45 |只看該作者

PM2003 寫道:
There was an excellent book recommended by my professor many years ago on grammar and its practical usage.  I can't locate it now but if I find it I will quote the rule exactly as it's stated for everyone's reference.  The book's written by Strunk & White if anyone has it.

A :

Are you referring to "Elements of Style"?

THE ELEMENTS OF STYLE: A STYLE GUIDE FOR WRITERS
STRUNK, WILLIAM, JR

14#
發表於 05-5-9 17:58 |只看該作者

PM2003/Teresa,

I feel more than happy to have you guys to study this Eng question altogether and wish we can raise and figure out some more confusions in Eng in the future.

PM2003, being argumentative is always good for getting things improved.  Hope we parents can improve our Eng and as what you said teach our kids something correct from the very beginning so that they won't be get confused!
‹ 上一主題|下一主題