用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 海外留學 UK school fee (Secondary and Univeristy) for EU pass ...
發新帖
查看: 1221|回覆: 3
go

UK school fee (Secondary and Univeristy) for EU passort holder

發表於 15-7-21 13:45 |顯示全部帖子

I heard that for students with EU passport, they just need to pay 1/3 of the fee of international students. Is that true? My friend’s son has EU passport but has not lived in that country x three years, I heard that he needs to pay full school fee. Am I correct?

Thanks.

發表於 15-7-21 16:28 |顯示全部帖子
newdaddy 發表於 15-7-21 13:45
I heard that for students with EU passport, they just need to pay 1/3 of the fee of international st ...
Yes , he needs to pay international student fee.
I went to a predeparture briefing on Mon night, the student who did the sharing was also a UK passport holder.  He went to UK for sixth form and he will study year 2 this Sep in Oxford U.  He has been and will continue to pay the international student fee as he has not fulfilled the 3 year non-student status.

發表於 15-7-22 16:54 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 bristol 於 15-7-22 17:37 編輯
wloi 發表於 15-7-21 16:28
Yes , he needs to pay international student fee.
I went to a predeparture briefing on Mon night, the ...

UK passport holders need to "ORDINARILY" reside in the UK for more than three years in order to qualify for the home student status for university fees purpose.  Studying in the UK is not considered fulfilling the  "ORDINARILY" residence requirement.  There are a lot of UK passport holders (including people holding dual citizenship; 居英權) living/working in overseas and they have not paid any tax in the UK.  The "ORDINARILY" residence requirement prevent them from enjoying the education benefits of the UK without paying tax.   

The  "ORDINARILY" residence requirement may not apply to EU passport holders.  For example, my friend is a Macau/HK citizen and is holding a Portuguese passport. She said she will pay home fees at Imperial College in the coming year even though she has not lived in the UK, Portugal or Macau for more than 3 years.  In fact, there is a rising resentment in the UK that EU citizens are stealing their benefits and jobs.

Nowadays, home students pay £9000 at UK universities and overseas students pay about £15000 (depending on the course).  The difference is not much comparing with the old days.  In the old days, the difference was £500 and £4000.  UK home students may even get study grant to cover their tuition fees and living expenses.  My cousin, a HongKonger received study grant and free university education in the UK in the 70s.  He is grateful to the Labour Party Government but never vote for them since he became a UK tax payer.  The British Government is getting poor and need to cut back their social/education benefits.  Education becomes a money making industry in the UK and the market is huge.  

發表於 15-7-22 20:47 |顯示全部帖子
University offer condition for oversea student normally stated clearly that the offer is made in condition that you pay oversea student fee.

Even if you reside in UK for three year at the end of year one of university, the university still request the paying of oversea fee because that is the enrollment condition.