教育王國 討論區 國際學校 傳統名校vs國際學校
樓主: aspirant99
go

傳統名校vs國際學校   [複製鏈接]

241#
發表於 15-8-14 13:28 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 FattyDaddy 於 15-8-14 14:32 編輯
nintendo 發表於 15-8-14 10:44
Do you think your decision to put him in ESF is actually not as ideal, if he would one day have to work in Hong Kong? ...

For our family the decision is correct because we no longer see HK as the place we will be spending most of our lives in, it is no longer the HK we knew and loved, and furthermore it is not going in the direction we like.

> His young son came to Hong Kong just about half a year ago collaborating with a huge local company, stayed here for 3 months

That is like expats coming to HK to live and work for a while. We never ruled out nor wish to prevent our child living and working in HK, we just don't want it to become the default or natural or obvious choice.

242#
發表於 15-8-14 13:52 |只看該作者
FattyDaddy 發表於 15-8-14 13:28
For our family the decision is correct because from we no longer see HK as the place we will be spen ...

Unfortunately, sometimes it is not up to us to decide what our kids like.

243#
發表於 15-8-14 14:31 |只看該作者
nintendo 發表於 15-8-14 13:52
Unfortunately, sometimes it is not up to us to decide what our kids like.
Agree, but our planning does have an impact.

For example, if our aim is for our child to be a medical doctor practicing in HK (I dare say many HK parents have that aim regardless of whether their children actually like to be a doctor), then IS followed by university overseas is definitely not the straightest path.

244#
發表於 15-8-14 17:28 |只看該作者
The last straw on my mind to let go is:

She is happy, I am happy.

Once I thought I was so stupid to nuture a girl who feels good to run around the world.  It is not upto parents' choice.  Sad though.

245#
發表於 15-8-15 08:56 |只看該作者

引用:Quote:nintendo+發表於+15-8-14+13:52+Unfo

原帖由 FattyDaddy 於 15-08-14 發表
Agree, but our planning does have an impact.

For example, if our aim is for our child to be a medic ...
My point is, it should not be OUR aim for our kids to be anything.
Anyway. Nevermind.

246#
發表於 15-8-15 10:10 |只看該作者
nintendo 發表於 15-8-15 08:56
My point is, it should not be OUR aim for our kids to be anything.
Parents make many decisions on behalf of their children, the younger the children the more we decide for them, and these decisions are often made with purpose and carry expectations and consequences. You may think you should not set any aims for your children, but consciously or subconsciously, we are all encouraging our children to go in certain directions.

247#
發表於 15-8-15 14:21 |只看該作者
FattyDaddy 發表於 15-8-15 10:10
Parents make many decisions on behalf of their children, the younger the children the more we decide ...

Yes we made decisions for our children. But we do not decide that they should or should not be medical doctors in Hong Kong. But in any case, I am not going to reply to you. This is getting no where.

To others: I now see why you guys are no longer replying to this person.

248#
發表於 15-8-15 15:27 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 FattyDaddy 於 15-8-15 15:30 編輯
nintendo 發表於 15-8-15 14:21
Yes we made decisions for our children. But we do not decide that they should or should not be med ...

You make decisions for your children, and that includes sending them to IS, if you believe that decision will have no impact or consequences in your childten's future path, you're just fooling yourself.

249#
發表於 15-8-16 11:50 |只看該作者

回覆:傳統名校vs國際學校

Reread the whole thread and still don't understand how it became an argument...ie. Argument between absolute black and white?  And this is between veterans of the forum.  Past grudge?

點評

FattyDaddy  Can't speak for others but I have none  發表於 15-8-16 17:33

250#
發表於 15-11-20 15:33 |只看該作者
回覆 964000 的帖子

The major difference between IS and LS is all observed in the social settings. IS no matter how you see it, is from a higher socio-economical class thus majority of graduates go overseas to study thus are exposed to more world wide opportunities, they don't just think "HK centric" whereas LS still produce more attentive, strong work ethic kids etc, they are more "HK centric" and will be in the network of more HK adults when they grow up simply because that is the environment they are more comfortable in. If you want to give your kids endless dreams and aspirations, IS will lead you more that way, as they teach the kids to be an all-rounded students, in academics, leadership, arts, music and sports, they will take care to develop those talents. They don't typecast and tell you your kid can only be a lawyer, doctor, banker etc. I think having the environment whereby the kids become inquisitive on their own and develop independent plus individual plus creative thinking is the way to go. HK kids nowadays are very privileged and study well etc but they lack self-inflicted goals/ objectives. They lack the ability to dream big and become life long learners. That being said, I have also known kids that attended IS that disliked IS due to its snobby environment and elite status etc. Plus their chinese is very poor as there is a lack of willingness to learn Chinese because the "cool" socially acceptable culture of the school is to excel in English.
Think about this 15 years later, by the time your child hits college age, do you think English is more important or Chinese is more important. Do you want your child to become a life long learner always seeking to dream, aspire and motivate oneself? Don't solely focus on academics, as everyone have strengths and weaknesses, no one is meant to excel at all things, its more important to discover what you are talented and love and do it, that is true happiness.
AU Citizen, lived in Sydney for 18 years. left HK P.4 Term 1, 9 years old, studied in Sydney, attended USYD (Bachelor of Commerce) and UTS (Masters of Marketing). Now working in HK.

251#
發表於 15-11-20 15:43 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 yanange 於 15-11-22 02:50 編輯
lui 發表於 15-6-28 17:17
你所說的情況,我不完全認同。我好朋友係美國人,Harvard and Princeton graduates.依家係Yale 既admission ...

I agree the top students at SPCC, DBS, DGS, Kings, St...., Mary Knoll etc etc are very good, but only the top tier students you know. Not everyone excel in those schools. I know many who left then went to UK for boarding school and did a lot better due to different teaching styles. Different being more analytical and discussion base and no constant quizzes plus exam, there's ROOM to re-energise and think.
The thing is education should not only cater for the talented kids be it in sports, academic, music and arts. It should be for all children and kids should all be offer a chance to learn. Learning styles are different for every child. my cousin is F.5 at LS DGS and she isn't a top tier student and she is struggling under the mountain of homework, because she entered in primary school, she did tutoring her entire life, there's no self learning, only spoon feeding and spoon feeding and she doesn't have a thirst for knowledge and nor do the teachers help her figure out ways to learn.
AU Citizen, lived in Sydney for 18 years. left HK P.4 Term 1, 9 years old, studied in Sydney, attended USYD (Bachelor of Commerce) and UTS (Masters of Marketing). Now working in HK.

252#
發表於 15-11-20 15:54 |只看該作者
Jasmine11 發表於 15-6-29 11:35
Hello,
As I wasn't raised in Hk, thus not exactly familiar with the HK school system, though I woul ...
I was predominantly raised in Australia from year 4 onwards, but have relatives in LS system (top schools) and the DSS system.  
The LS system means kids are assigned a P.1 school based on where you live, religion, catchment area etc, so there's a lot of luck involved and due to socio-economically class, wealthier areas generally have better schools etc. A lot of schools in HK, the top primary schools, govt or DSS or private, are single sex, thus it means a lot of stress on parents at P.1 to find the best school (note I stated best, not most suitable) For DSS schools, there are big names like St Paul Co-Ed, St Stephen's, DBS and DGS, so the competitiveness is insane for these schools, but the advantage of DSS, once you get into the school, you do not resit for the F1, i.e. high school placement tests etc. Obviously there are now more innovative DSS schools like PLK CKY and Logos. My cousin attends Logos and I know these two newer schools do IB which some parents like too. International school kids are more likely to attend overseas universities where DSS/LS top would be attending local like HKU or CUHK or HKUST.

There are a lot more resources at international schools thus uncovering talents of kids is more feasible, since not every kid is going to excel only in academics, they bred more well rounded individuals who is confident and dream big. Culturally, studying in an IS does bred a more elite mindset because you do hang out with more economically privileged kids, that will not change for a while, I know many IS educated kids now, they only know English and they prefer it, so they only mix with HK locally brought up kids every now and then; doesn't mean they are bad people, but they stay in cliques.

There are many kids though at the LS top tiers who depart HK after F.3 to go to UK, US, AU, Canada for school so they don't face the mountain of piling stress for the DSE. You can take that into consideration too.

253#
發表於 15-11-20 16:18 |只看該作者
FattyDaddy 發表於 15-6-29 22:26
True, no one can control the future, but then there is an obvious trend in HK which should not be i ...
On your last point about the cultural and social aspect of attending an IS, I agree, you do turn out to be more confident and independent etc due to the western styled social environment etc, but you do develop quite unruly behaviour and you will hang out with more economically privileged kids and do not "melt" into every social aspect of HK. My friend's children who went to ESF since primary are "bananas" in HK. They never converse in cantonese and dislike all chinese music ways of thinking, don't hang out with locals etc; but they are chinese. That being said, they are very well rounded kids who take advantage of globalisation and enable them to work in most large MNCs, yet if they repatriate to HK, I do worry for them as it limits their choices, but then if the choices means top-tier MNC I suppose that's ok. IS kids do have their inner circle seriously, everyone KNOWS each other, they compare clothes, brands, uni, jobs, husbands, go to the same church etc. It's the influence of the culture that IS imparts that will make these kids different. IS kids would hardly fit into a "LOCAL" company.

254#
發表於 15-11-20 17:53 |只看該作者

引用:Quote:FattyDaddy+發表於+15-6-29+22:26+Tr

原帖由 yanange 於 15-11-20 發表
On your last point about the cultural and social aspect of attending an IS, I agree, you do turn out ...
Local kids also compare brands, clothes, jobs, husbands, etc. Don't they?

點評

yanange  yes I agree they do, but instances of it is more frequent in IS.  發表於 15-11-21 07:23

255#
發表於 15-11-20 17:58 |只看該作者
回覆 yanange 的帖子

what mean by MNC?

點評

Jane1983  Multinational companies  發表於 15-11-20 18:14

256#
發表於 15-11-20 19:54 |只看該作者
昨日的ESF孩子情況,今天已在改變中,不是很bananas的孩子也是普遍了。

是好是壞,就看觀點和角度了。

257#
發表於 15-11-20 20:42 |只看該作者

回覆:annie40 的帖子

Multi-national corporations, I suppose.

258#
發表於 15-11-20 21:08 |只看該作者
回覆 happyhealthymin 的帖子

yes i suppose we all do within the same social circles.

259#
發表於 15-11-20 21:09 |只看該作者
回覆 torunpoland 的帖子

MNC - multi-national companies.

260#
發表於 15-11-21 04:51 |只看該作者

回覆:Ryanpama 的帖子

絕對贊同

‹ 上一主題|下一主題