樓主: aspirant99
go

傳統名校vs國際學校   [複製鏈接]

201#
發表於 15-7-2 09:21 |只看該作者

引用:其實如果全香港的學校,+包括國際和直私都劃

原帖由 yinichanwang 於 15-06-30 發表
其實如果全香港的學校, 包括國際和直私都劃一免費, 相信大眾對國際/直私/官津的看法都會很不一樣。

Your comment remind me one article from SCMP which mentioned "Half of the IB schools globally are government schools," "The reason Hong Kong's government schools don't adopt this curriculum has to do with a reluctance to devote more public resources to local secondary schooling"

If both IS and LS are free of charges , parents in HK will then spent time to understand the pro of IS , not simply look at the con....

202#
發表於 15-7-2 10:41 |只看該作者
回覆 foolish.mom 的帖子

Thank you foolish.mum for your thoughtful reply and sharing!
Your story, a success story, is very heartening to hear.  Did your son naturally work this out by himself? Where his grades were not so good, were you worried, did you have to do anything to help? Did he feel the pressure to perform in primary school?

203#
發表於 15-7-2 11:45 |只看該作者
回覆 naschkatze 的帖子

有時間PM你。
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

204#
發表於 15-7-2 11:56 |只看該作者
回覆 BeeFarm 的帖子

我兩個仔女是極端。女兒小時 shy ,兒子自小多嘢講。由小學各老師都鼓勵女兒課堂上多發言,她亦漸漸改變,到中學明顯由被動型變活躍型,她主動參與很多 clubs, sports, 甚至有自己的 student intiated projects。

兒子小學時十分愛説話,試過被老師罰,學會慎言。可能男孩子漸漸長大,個個也定性了很多。
國際學校始終每班學生人數少,小學是 class teacher 制,老師可以有時間觀察每個學生的性格。
中學雖然分科教,但佂很多老師開學一個月已可以看穿學生性格。
如我女兒,在 year 7 仍怕羞,但幾個老師刻意要她在堂上多發言,慢慢多了信心。

當然,每個學生性格不同,太怕羞的可能叫極唔出聲,也可能有。
家長也要在家多鼓勵。

205#
發表於 15-7-2 12:30 |只看該作者
annie40 發表於 15-7-1 15:30
回覆 ANChan59 的帖子

大部份鬼仔鬼妹是經常性的十分outspoken,言之有物的卻不多。 ...

其實也是學習過程,尤其小學生,不分 "人" "鬼",好多時答題目都幾好笑。
好聽 D 係敢言,creative ;如果要批評,有 D 又真的係亂 up。
但佢地的教育方式,就係要鼔勵學生多發言,多 brain storming,要佢地唔怕講,就算係好 silly 的 idea ,都要話 "that's a good thinking"。
有 D 人好醒目,主意都十分精彩;但有 D 人性格或能力問題,佢真係冇乜獨到的意見,如果必要言之有物,一定比班內最醒最叻那幾個學生 dominate 了 class discussion。
日常社交亦如是。
三人行必有我師,聽多 D 不同 idea ,都係好事。
人大大下也會慢慢學習說話的技巧,在某些場合,不亂 up 就得。

206#
發表於 15-7-3 20:28 |只看該作者

回覆:傳統名校vs國際學校

This is a very inspiring thread. I have an 19-month old boy and it is the time for me to think about education path for him. Still lots for me to learn....

207#
發表於 15-7-3 22:58 |只看該作者
回覆 BeeFarm 的帖子

BeeFarm,
My son worked out by himself that he needed to be more outspoken. I just noticed his change through observation.

When his grades were not satisfactory enough, I was a bit worried, but not too much. At the end it was his own path, not mine. I knew he would get into a university (most IS students do). I could only persuade him to work harder, to get into a better one. He is not a hard working type of student. Everything has to be triggered by his interest, learning with fun, not learning by obligation. It may be the "problem" of some IS students when it comes to examination. Their studying is not usually oriented towards examination, especially boys. My son said he would never spend too much time in writing an essay, in studying text books.

Regarding the pressure to perform well, I might say that the pressure in IS is usually from students themselves (their own character to be the best) or from parents (who want them to be the best). In upper secondary, pressure comes in from peer students too. But the school and teachers never exert much pressure to students. I would say that in primary there is absolutely no undue learning pressure. Therefore, when the students have a very "relaxed" character, and without parents following up on the study progress, the students may lag behind others while the parents might still not be aware of. However, on the other hand, students who perform not well academically may still have a happy school life throughout, without being discriminated by teachers. It may not happen in local schools.

208#
發表於 15-7-3 23:10 |只看該作者

引用:Quote:原帖由+AJW2010+於+15-06-28+發表如

原帖由 lui 於 15-06-29 發表
其實我女也讀IS,我也很欣賞佢學校的教育,用感恩來形容是最貼切。我只想提出,冇必要踩local school的出品 ...
//讀IS,家庭經濟要好,香港家庭入息中位數得一萬多。大部分讀local school的也不能承擔is學費,那不是他們不懂選擇,而是不能選擇。//

呢個至係重點,如果問讀LS的家長,錢不是問題(由K~外國大學),你估簡IS or LS多啲?我個人相信會是IS多點。

209#
發表於 15-7-3 23:15 |只看該作者

引用:回覆+BeeFarm+的帖子 BeeFarm,My+son+work

本帖最後由 shadeslayer 於 15-7-3 23:22 編輯
原帖由 foolish.mom 於 15-07-03 發表
回覆 BeeFarm 的帖子

BeeFarm,

At the risk of over-generalization, IS usually respect individuals and are much more willing to tolerate students with different developmental progress.

LS are more "standards" oriented right from kindergartens. The school defines academic and behavioral standards for each student to follow. If a particular student is not up to par, the school will call the parents and ask them to do something about the grades/behavior.  The good thing about this is that they can achieve better average grades with less resources.

The more bizzare a thing is, the less mysterious it proves to be.

210#
發表於 15-7-4 11:02 |只看該作者
小兒的class teacher是外籍老師,課程也是參考國際學校設計。初小已經開始訓練小朋友做project, 自己找資料,小組討論,present(用creative方式,如drama). 個人認為IS比較重視學生個人發展,性格培養。

211#
發表於 15-7-6 07:43 |只看該作者
Wallaby 發表於 15-6-27 00:37
Depends on which international school as well.
I suppose it is important to find out the true owners/controllers of fee-paying schools because of the potential benefits available to them, either in the form of administrative fees or licence fees or in whatever name or form. Not all HK parents are naive enough to believe that all international schools (including private schools) are charities and they know that even some charities, despite the so-called charitable status, are run for the benefits of the "owners"/"controllers"!

212#
發表於 15-7-6 09:04 |只看該作者
"All Education Is For-Profit Education" Henry Manne.
http://www.popecenter.org/commentaries/article.html?id=3030
呢位intellectual giant生前好controversial,比SEC譽為過街老鼠,舊年臨死前用咗張五常老師Alchian多年前寫過既論點取笑Yale既教授。如果早前有睇明報既追踪國際學校財務系列,應該會會心微笑

點評

dcnmxw    發表於 15-7-6 09:57

213#
發表於 15-7-24 15:41 |只看該作者
回覆 foolish.mom 的帖子

Dear Foolish mum and Artie, thanks for your time replying to my questions!  We've been on holidays so this reply is a bit late!
I think we will persevere with applying for an  IS place.  Not because I don't think he won't  do well in the local system, actually I think he will do really well, but more for the other aspects an IS can offer.  I'm sure there are local schools which have a great curriculum and learning environment, but I'm also mindful that these schools probably require a degree of Tiger-mumness so the child can get in in the first place.  

I can tell my older boy is already very much like his parents haha, where social and presentation skills definitely does not come naturally, whilst his baby brother is already chatting up the next table at the coffee shop with his smiles.

And I agree for the average smart but not top of the class child, IS will offer much more room for the child to develop his/her strengths and work on weaknesses.

214#
發表於 15-7-29 15:03 |只看該作者
Artie 發表於 15-7-2 12:30
其實也是學習過程,尤其小學生,不分 "人" "鬼",好多時答題目都幾好笑。
好聽 D 係敢言,creative ;如果 ...
完全同意!是否言之有物,亦可以是很個人的感覺。但若唔敢講,就是否言之有物也不知!

215#
發表於 15-7-29 15:24 |只看該作者
shadeslayer 發表於 15-6-29 18:35
Don't over analyze it. Hong Kong still has a lot of foreign companies with foreign bosses. You can n ...
非常同意!

說香港只會越來越像中國大陸,但問題是中國大陸不會永遠像現在的中國大陸,中國大陸也在變,而走向國際是當前的大勢所趨。

我們無法預知將來我們的孩子身處的會是個怎樣的世界,做家長的,就只能朝著一個我們認為是好的方向去教育我們的孩子,而不是怎樣去配合一個未知的、可能是退步的社會。十分認同你所說,如果我們預期將來的香港會愈來愈不公平、愈來愈傾向人治而非法治,那我們是否要教育我們的孩子接受不公平?是否要教育他們人治比法治更好呢?

點評

快樂股民    發表於 15-12-9 17:46

216#
發表於 15-7-29 16:07 |只看該作者
aidan08 發表於 15-7-29 15:24
香港會愈來愈不公平、愈來愈傾向人治而非法治,那我們是否要教育我們的孩子接受不公平 ...
Well, that is one way, another way is to make plans to leave Hongkong, and some parents are opting for international schools because they don't foresee their children eventually living in HK or the greater China area.

The point is, if there are no plans to leave HK, then one ought to consider what kind of HK our children will face in the not too distant future. Obviously optimists will almost always look on the bright side while pessimists will look the other way, but either way it is something which cannot be ignored.

217#
發表於 15-7-29 16:57 |只看該作者
FattyDaddy 發表於 15-7-29 16:07
Well, that is one way, another way is to make plans to leave Hongkong, and some parents are opting f ...
兒女長大,是否離開香港也不單純是父母的選擇。父母能做的,是指引,是盡能力去教育而已。路始終是子女的。例子有我舅父,他三十年前去了英國落地生根,在當地養育孩子,認為孩子在英國會更好。現在,他三個子女有兩個來了香港生活,他們自小在英國讀書直至大學畢業,我舅父大概也想不到子女會有這樣的選擇!實情是他們的確在現在的香港甚有優勢,英語流利,中文不好但始終叫懂說懂讀(簡單中文),不懂普通話,返來見工無往而不利。

香港的將來,世界的將來,老實說,我不認為我能預知,也沒有特別去想。我動機比較單純,我重視的東西,國際學校可以培養得比本地學校好,所以選擇了IS。而我重視的東西,我相信在任何地方生活也是重要的。

說到一些個別特質的培養,例如敢言,是否適合這個社會?.......君不見現在出來擔大旗攪社運的大學生們,來自LS還是IS多?黃x鋒是來自哪裡?

我始終相信,孩子有自己的性格,我們為子女選擇的教育,不是唯一影響孩子將來的因素。人其實要懂得掌握現在才去想將來。

218#
發表於 15-7-29 17:11 |只看該作者
aidan08 發表於 15-7-29 16:57
不懂普通話,返來見工無往而不利 ...
You're talking about today's HK, or HK in the immediate past, but not HK in the not too distant future.

I agree we can never predict what might happen in the future, but we can make reasonably good guesses, If (and it is not a big if) it is inevitable that HK will become more and more like China, and if we are not going to leave HK, then we better plan to adjust to a Sinicized HK. Saying "oh we can't be sure about the future" or "oh the children will handle it well whatever happens" is just avoiding the issue.

219#
發表於 15-7-29 17:17 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 aidan08 於 15-7-29 17:28 編輯
FattyDaddy 發表於 15-7-29 17:11
You're talking about today's HK, or HK in the immediate past, but not HK in the not too distant futu ...

有些父母以為自己有能力預計將來會如何,也有能力控制子女的去向,沒問題,儘管去計劃。

有些父母確信將來很難預料,也不覺得自己有能力預計將來,那就著眼現在。也有些父母用自身或身邊人過去的經驗來為子女謀劃將來,那只是各司各法,何來逃避呢?

再者,我也在前面提過,中國會是永遠像現在這個樣子嗎?香港在變得更似中國時,中國也在變,中國和香港根本在尋找一個互相能夠融和的中間點。你有信心預料將來,為子女謀劃,但你想的那個將來,未必是另一個有信心預料將來的家長所認同的。

我們現在說普通話和中文多重要,但科技日新月異,即時翻譯技術將來發展成怎樣我們又能預計多少,語言又是否如現在般重要呢?諸如此類的問題,身處現在的我們能預計多少?

有些特質,我相信到那裡生活和工作都是有用的,例如獨立思考、敢於表達、主動學習等。這些特質,我相信某種教育方式能幫助我的子女去建立,我個人而言,為子女選擇教育就基於此而已。

220#
發表於 15-7-29 17:29 |只看該作者
aidan08 發表於 15-7-29 17:17
有些父母以為自己有能力預計將來會如何,也有能力控制子女的去向,沒問題,儘管去計劃。
It is not about control, it is about predicting and planning accordingly, big difference.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題