搜索
教育王國 討論區 海外留學 求美國升學意見
樓主: Vansi816
go

求美國升學意見   [複製鏈接]

61#
發表於 15-3-28 21:31 |只看該作者
回覆 Sheep006 的帖子

Most US universities need SAT or ACT results for freshman admission. Though some US universities are "SAT/ACT optional", I suggest your child to take either one so that he/she has more choices. SAT will change format in 2016. Buy a study pack, take a diagnostic test of one SAT and ACT, your child will know which one test he/she will score higher.

62#
發表於 15-3-28 23:39 |只看該作者

引用:回覆+Sheep006+的帖子 Most+US+universiti

原帖由 foolish.mom 於 15-03-28 發表
回覆 Sheep006 的帖子

Most US universities need SAT or ACT results for freshman admission. Though so ...
So if the school runs IB or GCSE but the student wants to study in US university, the student needs to take SAT by himself?

63#
發表於 15-3-29 14:01 |只看該作者
回覆 happyhealthymin 的帖子

Yes, IB is viewed as equivalent to AP in US uni admission. IB cannot replace SAT/ACT.

64#
發表於 15-3-29 14:12 |只看該作者

引用:回覆+happyhealthymin+的帖子 Yes,+IB+is+

原帖由 foolish.mom 於 15-03-29 發表
回覆 happyhealthymin 的帖子

Yes, IB is viewed as equivalent to AP in US uni admission. IB cannot re ...
IC. Would you mind to share your views between US and UK universities? Btw, you child is very smart! Congratulation on his achievements.

點評

foolish.mom  All US uni result out by Apr 1  發表於 15-3-29 19:32
foolish.mom  Will write something after Apr   發表於 15-3-29 19:31
foolish.mom  Thank you!  發表於 15-3-29 19:30

65#
發表於 15-3-29 17:27 |只看該作者
Sheep006 發表於 15-3-28 18:04
回覆 laorenjia 的帖子

How about SAT?
樓上已解釋詳盡。有一點要注意,不要只考慮SAT。我鄰居C女話ACT啱香港學生啲。佢喺第一屆DSE,只考ACT,冇AP,入咗UCLA.

66#
發表於 15-3-29 18:12 |只看該作者
回覆 laorenjia 的帖子

UCLA?邊間?即是可以揀考ACT或SAT,對嗎?你係話考ACT好過SAT?其實我係幫朋友個仔問嘅,佢未考DSE,先考SAT,佢話如果考倒好的大學就唔考DSE,直接去美國讀大學

67#
發表於 15-3-29 18:25 |只看該作者
回覆 Sheep006 的帖子

University of California, Los Angeles. 考個SAT/ACT睇吓有幾分先。

點評

Sheep006  Thx  發表於 15-3-29 22:34

68#
發表於 15-3-29 19:09 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 ponnychan 於 15-3-29 19:13 編輯
Sheep006 發表於 15-3-29 18:12
回覆 laorenjia 的帖子

UCLA?邊間?即是可以揀考ACT或SAT,對嗎?你係話考ACT好過SAT?其實我係幫朋友個仔問 ...

deleted

69#
發表於 15-3-29 20:39 |只看該作者

引用:回覆+happyhealthymin+的帖子 Yes,+IB+is+

回覆 happyhealthymin 的帖子

Yes, IB is viewed as equivalent to AP in US uni admission. IB cannot re ...
Sorry. Did you reply to my previous post? I received the messages reminder but strangely I can't see the messages. Some bugs. Would you mind sending me again? Sorry.

70#
發表於 15-3-29 22:34 |只看該作者
回覆 happyhealthymin 的帖子

Yes, I would like to share my view on UK and US universities with parents here too, as my son has applied to uni in both countries, and received some really good offers from uni in both countries.
We don't have particular preferences to either country. As my son has quite strong academic background, we aim at top 50 universities in the world as listed in various league table such as QS, Times Higher Education, US news.  
Here are my views after 2 years of research, school visits and applications in both countries;

UK uni are cheaper (when compared with private uni in US and U California system), only require 3 years to graduate, safer (fewer guns and crimes). However, the academic structure is more rigid. Students have to be very clear which programs they will take when applying. There are only few elective courses, few general education courses, difficult to take minor. It's hard to change to other programs once enrolled. It's good if the students decide to take professional programs such as medicine and law. However, if the students have not decided their career at the age of 17, US uni provide more flexible choices.

The "liberal arts" education advocated by most top US uni are also highly regarded by IB advocates: to provide a broad general education at uni level, to prepare the students with lifelong advantages in critical thinking and broad based knowledge. My hubby graduated in US with a professional degree. He said that the general education in US uni, such as psychology, sociology, English writing, English literature courses made him better equipped when he climbed up the career ladder. It's especially useful when he needed to change field to sales and marketing, general administration, or even changing career field.

In many cases, US uni only requires students to declare major at the end of 2nd year, and changing major, double major, major with minor are fairly easy as compared with UK uni.

When I have time later, I will talk about the complicated process and preparation for applying US top universities. It's kind of nightmare, and exert great pressure to students taking IB and applying to both US and UK/HK. March is the month when all top US uni announce their admission decision. It requires excellent EQ and AQ for all parents and students involved to wait for uni taking turn to announce results, hearing their classmates got admitted, waitlisted, and rejected by each top uni, and then wonder what will happen to himself.

71#
發表於 15-3-29 22:44 |只看該作者

引用:回覆+happyhealthymin+的帖子 Yes,+I+woul

回覆 happyhealthymin 的帖子

Yes, I would like to share my view on UK and US universities with paren ...
Thanks very much for your generous sharing. I am sure you have high EQ. Your information is very useful for me when deciding which system to study. Look forward to your further sharing.

72#
發表於 15-3-29 22:45 |只看該作者
回覆 foolish.mom 的帖子

One of the greatest advantages of US uni to UK, for IB and DSE students, is that US uni gives "unconditional" offer. It means that, after receiving the offers, either in Dec for early admission, or March for regular admission, the students can stop studying hard for IB and DSE. UK/HK universities give conditional offer. Students need to study hard in the IB/DSE exams to meet the stated conditions of offer.
However, US application process will kill you... to be continued when I have time

73#
發表於 15-3-30 04:44 |只看該作者

引用:回覆+happyhealthymin+的帖子 Yes,+I+woul

回覆 happyhealthymin 的帖子

Yes, I would like to share my view on UK and US universities with paren ...
My closed friend is the admission reader of Yale university. He has been reading thousands and thousands of application for three months. The school promised him he will be done on all application this Sunday, that's today so he can meet me and my family tomorrow in Bangkok. That's damn difficult to get on top unis in US.

74#
發表於 15-3-30 09:27 |只看該作者

引用:Quote:原帖由+foolish.mom+於+15-03-29+發

原帖由 lui 於 15-03-30 發表
My closed friend is the admission reader of Yale university. He has been reading thousands and thous ...
Wow, I wish I knew someone like that. Please do share with us some insightful information after your Bangkok holiday if you don't mind.

75#
發表於 15-3-30 11:50 |只看該作者
回覆 foolish.mom 的帖子

Thx for sharing. Is your son going for us or uk finally?

76#
發表於 15-3-30 12:08 |只看該作者
回覆 foolish.mom 的帖子

Congrats for your son's  offers from some great UK uni. Any good news from US side? Knowing that some uni has already announced their admission result.

77#
發表於 15-3-30 12:30 |只看該作者
回覆 raymonds 的帖子

Thank you all parents' for your care on my son.
caa,

My top choice is still Oxbridge. But I am not sure if my son will study hard to meet the offer conditions. As I said before, UK is cheaper, safer. Oxbridge's tutorial system is not comparable by any other uni in the world. The students have weekly tutorial with a professor on a 1 to 1 or 2 basis. It's like private tutoring by a world class scholar.

raymonds,

Yes, luckily he already got some good unconditional offers from US uni, though not his top choice. If he cannot meet Oxbridge offer, he will go US. There are already countless sleepless nights for me, knowing that a particular uni will announce the admission results the next morning. Ivy league will all announce the results on Mar 31 afternoon US Eastern time.  I will gonna sleep as I don't expect any good news there.

78#
發表於 15-3-30 12:44 |只看該作者
Oxbridge is already a lot of people's dream school. Congrats your son is really smart!

點評

foolish.mom  hope he can meet the condition   發表於 15-3-30 13:02

79#
發表於 15-3-30 13:03 |只看該作者
回覆 foolish.mom 的帖子

I know all the stress you (as parent) go through now as I did the same before. I have confidence in your son getting the requested condition for the UK offers no problem (the standard IB offer for Oxford, IC and LSE is only 38-40, it shouldn't be a problem for your son!!). But it will be a tough decision when choosing between Oxford with some really good Ivies college. Good luck.

80#
發表於 15-3-30 13:16 |只看該作者
回覆 raymonds 的帖子

Thank you for your blessings! Where did your children study? Any advice for us?
‹ 上一主題|下一主題