用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 海外留學 CLC vs St Swithun's
查看: 10482|回覆: 27
go

CLC vs St Swithun's

發表於 15-2-27 00:16 |顯示全部帖子
I have two daughters going to study in the UK this September.  They are joining at year 7 and 9.  Both CLC and St Swithun's have offered school places to them.  Any views and sharing about these two schools?

發表於 15-2-27 09:50 |顯示全部帖子
邵小姐 發表於 15-2-27 00:16
I have two daughters going to study in the UK this September.  They are joining at year 7 and 9.  Bo ...
There is a discussion at mumsnet about CLC (i.e. UK version of  baby kingdom), you can read what UK's mums think about CLC

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/secondary/1983118-Cheltenham-Ladies-College

I have not visited CLC myself but my friend visited the school in Nov and the headmistress told her that they have a policy that they will not accept students from mainland China.  In the school, 30% of the kids are from overseas.

If you can afford the time, I think you better go and visit both schools before you make a decision since your kids will be spending quite a number of years in the school.

發表於 15-2-27 14:49 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:CLC vs St Swithun's

好奇—問,入得去不是普通人,冇錢冇地位,會奇視嗎?

發表於 15-2-27 14:49 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 wloi 的帖子

Thanks and very useful. Would be gratefulbif anyone can share first person information if DDs are studying in these two schools.

發表於 15-2-27 14:50 |顯示全部帖子
Same concern from me re CLC

發表於 15-2-27 17:52 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 wloi 於 15-2-27 17:53 編輯

我之前因為揀學校,subscribe 左 good school guide 的網頁,佢地係咁樣形容間學校的學生 ge

Younger girls’ dorms spacious and very jolly with home duvets, under-bed storage and lots of photos and personalisation. At the foot of every bed was a brightly coloured tuck box. Single rooms for older girls are small but characterful, many with inspiring views. A place in one of the old-fashioned ‘cubs,’ dorms where beds have a curtain around them, highly coveted. Parents full of praise for pastoral care whether for boarders or day girls – house mistresses in particular singled out for responding to email/telephone calls by return. Incidents – friendship issues or bullying – nipped in bud equally promptly we hear. Girls bring their own laptops but internet use is heavily monitored. Boarders may use social networking sites from year 3 up out of school hours. The sixth form house we visited was originally the indefatigable Miss Beale’s teacher training college. With its elegant library (plus wireless of course), it is intended to be a ‘halfway house to university.’ Girls may come and go with more freedom but the academic tutors and house mistresses liaise to minimise girls pushing themselves too hard and staff on each floor listen out for late night working. Pupils and Parents

So sorry to undermine a popular cliché but we encountered no braying Henriettas or snooty aristos, just normal girls – friendly, unaffected and full of fun. Our year 9 lunch companions were sweetly excited about how much they ‘loved going to Waitrose’ (store has wisely established itself as the nearest supermarket) and triumphant that they had persuaded the local ice cream van to call at their house. Some observe (as did we) that nationalities tend to stick together both in and out of lessons – inevitable perhaps – and a look at the results lists in the excellent school magazine tells its own, by now familiar, story of the formidable Chinese work ethic.

Whispers on the GSG grapevine that the school is not quite as fashionable with metropolitan parents as once it was but London is still the home city of boarding majority. In the main, parents are the usual spectrum of by no means rich professionals who choose the College because of the opportunities it offers their bright daughters. Several mentioned that they valued the school’s relative conservatism and high expectations in a world of declining standards. All said that the pace is fast; too fast for a few.

另外 IS report ,你都可以參考下...

http://www.isi.net/schools/7108/

我自己都識兩個人讀呢間學校,又無聽過因為家底問題而被bully的case.....bully呢樣野,其實好睇學校點處理。

發表於 15-2-27 20:35 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:wloi 的帖子

I think the description above is also what my DD told me.

發表於 15-2-27 23:40 |顯示全部帖子
Thanks for all information. My elder DD likes St Swithun's while my younger one prefers CLC.  I am inclined to accept CLC. Hope this is the right choice for them.

發表於 15-2-27 23:53 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:邵小姐 的帖子

I only applied CLC for my DD but learned from another girl who failed St Swithun n hence choose CLC. So I think at Swithun is harder to get in.

發表於 15-2-28 00:28 |顯示全部帖子
Victoriatio: your DD enjoys CLC life? Anything she likes or dislikes about the school?

發表於 15-2-28 01:21 |顯示全部帖子
As I remember, CLC does accept mainland students. I know a girl who has obtained 10A* in GCSE got an Y12 offer from CLC.

發表於 15-2-28 09:00 |顯示全部帖子

引用:Victoriatio:+your+DD+enjoys+CLC+life?+An

原帖由 邵小姐 於 15-02-28 發表
Victoriatio: your DD enjoys CLC life? Anything she likes or dislikes about the school?
Overall speaking, I think she likes the school. She has complains about the school, like the school blocks facebook during weekday, food not yummy, teachers are too strict etc. But I think other ppl may not hv the same opinion. For sure there r ppl coming from the Mainland. I have an impression that school will not accept those ppl who are only rich but they must be also good academically.
Most of the gals from Hong Kong return Hong Kong for all term breaks, hence 6 times a year.

發表於 15-2-28 09:24 |顯示全部帖子
Thanks a lot. One concern from me and hubby is about the competitiveness inside CLC and worry out daughters cannot cops with the stress. From our perspectives, ppl have pressure in Hong Kong as well. Any opinions about this? Also, I think junior forms girls in CLC will share bedrooms, any clues how many girls will be placed together in one room? St Swithun's has single room starting year 9.

發表於 15-2-28 10:18 |顯示全部帖子

引用:Thanks+a+lot.+One+concern+from+me+and+hu

原帖由 邵小姐 於 15-02-28 發表
Thanks a lot. One concern from me and hubby is about the competitiveness inside CLC and worry out da ...
I m not sure about other junior houses, 6-8 ppl for year 7-8 for my dd house. May be 4 ppl for year 9.

發表於 15-2-28 11:31 |顯示全部帖子
Does your DD feel noisy about the dorm given there are quite a few girls sharing rooms ?

發表於 15-2-28 11:41 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:邵小姐 的帖子

They need to change room after term break, so three times a year. She likes to stay in a room with more people. But for junior years, they find very bored with little ppl in a room esp you may not get along well with the people in your room. I think when they move to senior grade, less ppl share a room n they need more time to study. In fact, how many ppl share a room is not an issue to me. Most of the ppl from Hong Kong are normally the top set group in CLC.

發表於 15-2-28 14:41 |顯示全部帖子
路過,St Swithuns成績好有20% scholarship,不過詳情就唔知,同嗰位媽媽唔熟。

發表於 15-2-28 15:17 |顯示全部帖子
Any tips on which house to choose in CLC?

發表於 15-2-28 16:45 |顯示全部帖子
CLC?邊間?

發表於 15-2-28 18:43 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 wloi 於 15-2-28 18:44 編輯
Sheep006 發表於 15-2-28 16:45
CLC?邊間?

The Cheltenham Ladies College 女校....唔好同 Cheltenham College 男女校 .. 攪亂,係完全唔同 ge 學校...但在同一個 city

點評

Sheep006  Thx  發表於 15-2-28 19:23