用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 海外留學 Public school? Boarding School? Homestay?
發新帖
查看: 1939|回覆: 6
go

Public school? Boarding School? Homestay? [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 14-10-19 16:56 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
We are not Canadian.  We would send my son to Canada to study G8.  How about public school?  Any pros and cons to study at public school?

Any pros and cons of boarding school?  How about homestay?

0    0    0    0

2#
發表於 14-10-19 17:58 |只看該作者
For foreigners, public schools are almost as expensive as private schools so I wouldn't go for public schools unless it's a very good school.
All boarding schools are private.
I'd aim for boarding schools, ie avoid homestay. Not for Gr8.  Too young. You can't be sure of the family, the living environment, or the distance to commute to school.  
Pros for boarding schools : school matrons are professionals in taking care of children, have rules to enforce discipline in an otherwise free country, no need to travel far to school in winter, whole environment is more conducive to studying, have more friends with similar background / experience living together, food and bedroom may not be the greatest but at least there is a minimum standard to maintain.  
Cons? at Gr8, most likely have to share bedroom / bathroom with other kids.  Also, at Gr8, may not have access to a kitchenette, if there is one - not a factor if he can't cook himself.
Boarding schools are not all the same.  Some are very good academically.  Parents enroll their kids because local public schools are not good enough.  There are some other boarding schools the main selling point of which is .... boarding.  Parents don't want them to stay at home - parental problems, friends of bad influence back home, etc.  My comments above are based on the former category only.

3#
發表於 14-10-19 18:01 |只看該作者

回覆:PrinceAaron 的帖子

路過,簡單講入公校,要公民身份,如加拿大出身都不算,要父母有稅單証明,所以只可報私校,收生要求以往兩年成績及最近一年校內成績,homestay十學費約加元一萬至三萬不等,但白人佔31%,混血7%,其它亞,黒等,都係果句找逺少少好D,又要多白人學生地方較好。

4#
發表於 14-10-20 17:47 |只看該作者

回覆:creamsicle 的帖子

Some public schools offered minor % for 'international students'. So, I found whether we can get a seat in public school.

Any more cons to study at public school?

5#
發表於 14-10-20 17:48 |只看該作者

回覆:PrinceAaron 的帖子

Any good boarding school recommended? Any place would be fine.

6#
發表於 14-10-25 12:49 |只看該作者
For non canadians/residents, you can go to public school but you need to pay.
Public schools are probably not quite like how they used to be decades ago. I used to live in Ontario and go to a public school. Most public schools were quite good in my times. However, for now, I heard that there are lots of issues with public education.
Private schools have their own issues too.
Either they are some of the top schools that take the best students, or schools that take mainly foreign students (mostly asians or africans) with poor grades. Top private schools have high entrance bar. While poor private schools take almost everyone.
Top private schools have lots of asians too. However most of them have been living in Canada for quite some time (many even born in canadian) and they have very high English standard. So if your do not want your kid to be in a school with more asians, you are also eliminating some of the top private schools.

7#
發表於 14-11-4 17:31 |只看該作者
回覆 PrinceAaron 的帖子

Gr.8 might be too young for your son to stay there alone. As it would be a high risk for some schools if he stay there alone. Do you have any relatives there? But anyway, you can get some more information first. I agree that Canada is a good place for study. It is safe.In my opinion, public school is also good, because they are funded by the government and they have good resource and support comparing with the private school.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題