go

關於英基的質疑(來自英基家長)   [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 14-10-18 09:39 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 samsam123321 於 15-12-23 20:28 編輯

del.

22#
發表於 14-10-18 10:26 |只看該作者
I know some parents with local mindset actually turn ESF schools into "battle field". They boost their kids with extra tution and try to donminate in school activities. They look down on students with different talents or silent character. They always complain about progress, teachers and school. They always compare ESF with local elite schools. So sadly, ESF schools (especially secondary) are no longer happy place for cheerful and potential students.

23#
發表於 14-10-18 12:20 |只看該作者
其實補習的事,都是家長自己問題。我睇到是英基每年gcse ib 成績都很好。睇到佢地學生唔local school學生的不同。校內又無考試成績。基本上無壓力。
至於大班問題,你要明白,如果唔係全資助,老師人工已經佔了支出很多,有數得計。而且英基已經係國際學校中差不多最平。

24#
發表於 14-10-18 12:27 |只看該作者
回覆 wangdua0625 的帖子

I see nothing wrong about the school from the article.  The teaching of Math and Writing are actually quite standard and practices adopted by other schools in HK and around the world.  What I see is a parent who doesn't do their homework on what the ESF schooling system is about and also what it means to be academically excellent.
今日佳句: 我以往也以為國際板的家長也有質素,但現在才知deal with 一些麻煩家長也不易!  

25#
發表於 14-10-18 14:44 |只看該作者

回覆:HKTHK 的帖子

其實學校提供了很多網上學習的資源,佢地放學自己睇,去下圖書館,已經ok, 唔使補習

26#
發表於 14-10-18 15:12 |只看該作者
As a ESF parent, I tend to agree the primary school teaching are not as solid as some other international schools. For students that lack motivation to learn on their own, seeking outside help (i.e. getting a tutor) might be a way of helping them enforcing what they have learnt at school.

27#
發表於 14-10-18 22:25 |只看該作者

回覆:關於英基的質疑(來自英基家長)

I think all ESF primary schools somewhat different. They are all under the ESF state but the "standard/quality" of the schools in overall actually depends on the senior management of the school on how they run the schools. IB is after all NOT a curriculum but a learning approach, if I have to simply put it.
Parents ( demographic) of the ESF school matters too. Some ESF schools are more populated with certain type of parents (of local parents) while one or two ESF Primary schools in the HK Island are more populated with international families (and parents of better educated). The expectation of the parents do determine the reaction of the schools, if you know this.

From my observation, I feel that many parents here are talking about the ESF schools which are more populated with local families?! (Of certain types, some are expecting a pushy style of learning as in the local schos, some may know little about IS and are completely happy/ impressive with the different schooling experience )
Nothing wrong with the family background but may be the perception and  expectation on the "international schooling" or IB are difference, hence the voices about ESF schools (positive and negative voices I mean).

28#
發表於 14-10-19 22:52 |只看該作者

引用:I+know+some+parents+with+local+mindset+a

原帖由 Choisumwong 於 14-10-18 發表
I know some parents with local mindset actually turn ESF schools into "battle field". They boost the ...
Agreed. If parents choose to put their kids in an international, they should be teaching them in ways different from parents from LS. International school, esp the IB Curriculum emphasized on self-inquiries and self-learning instead of spoon-fed knowledge to kids. In another words, if your kids is those pro-active learner and like to explore, they can turn out learning lots of things from their school, so it really depends on your expectation.

29#
發表於 14-10-21 13:05 |只看該作者

回覆:關於英基的質疑(來自英基家長)

I would like to say the esf is training the students " ways of thinking " rather than the solid knowledge
The second things is the linguistic skills
Such as reading , speaking and writing
They spend the primary stage to practice all those skills and develop a good science concept as a foundation

That's why local school students are very good for the exercise and practicing skills and exam but not easy to understand a principal or theory part

30#
發表於 14-10-22 01:40 |只看該作者

回覆:hb12699 的帖子

I agree with you.
These "skills" are indeed more aligned to where we are heading to in future. How difficult is it to acquire facts nowadays with a click away from google and Wikipedia? Most Asian local schools still focus on memorizing facts, the more the merrier!

Having said that, whether the ESF school (or any international schools with good association with IB) is able to deliver what it's supposed to is another story. It's easier said than done, some schools simply don't have the teachers or adequate resources to commit to a successful delivery of the IB programs.
Some schools are with majority of parents of different mentality and expectation which do not help with the successful delivery either.

點評

Choisumwong  Good points  發表於 14-10-22 11:32

31#
發表於 14-10-22 14:07 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

32#
發表於 14-10-22 16:58 |只看該作者
I had seen how classes were conducted in local and IB international schools and I would say what makes the difference are the teachers! A good teacher would inspire kids and make kids enjoy learning regardless which school she/he is teaching.

33#
發表於 14-10-22 19:40 |只看該作者

回覆:CapricornO 的帖子

Which campus ?  Abacus one is different from what u described .  As recalled, I rec'd email from playgroup teacher last year.  They requested parents /helper not to talk & disturb the class.  The teacher did encourage kid to participate in the playgroup class.   FYI,  Abacus playgroup teacher are its kinder EA.

34#
發表於 14-10-23 23:22 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

35#
發表於 14-10-24 00:09 |只看該作者
The playgroup of ESF is separate from the Kindy and is managed by ESF Language Services.  The teachers of kindy might also be employed by the ESF Lang, which also run weekday/end language classes.  

36#
發表於 14-11-9 12:00 |只看該作者

I am curious, how many parents here (both in the this topic and generally in ek) have children in ESF upper secondary, and still want to praise the schools so positively?
Do not mistaken me. I am a ESF parent. I do believe ESF is a good system. I have one child graduated already, and another one in upper secondary. They are both doing great. However, I do not believe the "good samples" should be used all the time as examples. There are so many students that are NOT doing well.
Yes, there are many students that score 40+ at ESF. But there are MANY ESF schools and thus if you look closely at the statistics, you will see the percentage is not exactly high. 一將功成萬骨枯  We ESF parents tend to be so proud of ESF and love to  boast about the students with 40+.  But how many of us are willing to tell everyone that the percentage of students that are not doing well are actually very high too? Are we all aware that there are many that get a 31 and 32 only at IBDP? And there are many that end up in "wild chicken universities or colleges"? And there are many who end up never able to go to tertiary education?
Please. Please. ESF kindergarten and primary parents. 請勿神化 ESF !Do not live in your shell and feel so contented and proud. Education for YOUR OWN kids are more than just boasting amongst your friends and on EK.
Amongst the students that get 40+ in IB, many have been with a local school. So it is very likely YOUR child is probably not one of these top students.
ESF primary is not solid compared to other international schools. I think many parents with children in secondary know what I meant. When I said "solid" primary education, I am not talking about duck feeding, drilling, etc. I am talking about really good support and enforcement.
I have friends with children in other international schools. I think some other schools are doing a much better job in helping students with enforcing what they learnt. Children are sponge. They learn easily. At school and on their own. However, how to help them enforce and make use of their skills and knowledge?
The problem with senior secondary ESF is that, most home grown ESF kids (from ESF primary) are doing fine with very basic skills (basic reading, basic writing, basic math, etc). Yes, they love reading but so what? Many lack higher level skills (research skills, quality writing skills, analytical skills, etc). Even worse, many even lack the initiation or wish to do well with IGCSE or IBDP. Reading skills and the love for reading is fantastic. I think this is a surprise to many local grown parents. However, that is not enough for secondary education.
Please stop being so happy and contented. Step back and open your eyes. There have been a lot of parents that raised issues with ESF (in particular primary schools). Please read and see with an open mind and stop to step out and defend the school for now. Think and see whether that is indeed issues.
As a parent who have kids that are doing great at ESF, I really want to point out that there are MUCH MORE kids that are not doing well.
Not that they are stupid. Most kids are not stupid. I merely think that they lack the quality to succeed not because of their own ability but because of the lack of high level skills. And those high level skills do not simply pop up. They have to be gradually introduced, taught, and encouraged. At ESF, they are just not doing as much as their counterparts (i.e. other international schools).

點評

sharons    發表於 14-11-11 01:54
Choisumwong  ESF is set to be non-selective   發表於 14-11-9 21:57

37#
發表於 14-11-9 17:47 |只看該作者
nintendo 發表於 14-11-9 12:00
I am curious, how many parents here (both in the this topic and generally in ek) have children in E ...
Thanks for your comments. Very insightful and useful. But can you pm me what do you mean by "other international schools"?

38#
發表於 14-11-9 19:00 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 elmostoney 於 14-11-9 19:13 編輯

I am an ESF parent with one child in ESF and one in ICA, and I share the sentiments with the original article.  The only after school tuition we do with a private tutor is Chinese.  I have been a parent volunteer in their math session as well.  What was mentioned was EXACTLY my experience.  As I posted my experience already, I won't repeat here.  You can read it in another thread
http://www.edu-kingdom.com/forum ... 6040&extra=page%3D1

BTW, I don't think we have THAT many kids doing private tuition in math and English in our school as our student mix is about 60% or more non-Chinese.  In fact, I am not even sure if we have that many kids doing Chinese tuition!  My son is in Y3 and the native Chinese class only has 6 kids!  

39#
發表於 14-11-10 12:27 |只看該作者

del.

40#
發表於 14-11-10 12:34 |只看該作者

del.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題