教育王國 討論區 國際學校 關於英基的質疑(來自英基家長)
查看: 73600|回覆: 178
go

關於英基的質疑(來自英基家長)   [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 14-10-17 14:20 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
2014-10-08 雲 教養女王

雲是位溫婉的母親。人如其名,她從中國到了日本,長居十年後到了香港,七年後再到了美國居住至今。邊走邊看,雲近距離觀察著日本、中國香港和美國的教育。

她將為“教養女王”帶來系列國際教育文章。請支持原創,轉載前聯繫“教養女王”(Wechat订阅号:hongkongparenting)。我們有更多原創系列將陸續推出,請點擊標題下方“教養女王”關注。

隨著時間的流逝和對學校更深入的瞭解,驚喜與感動過後我開始對ESF學校的教學方式產生各種疑惑。

最初的疑惑源於一次教室義工活動。兒子一年級第二學期時,我第一次在數學學習時間到教室幫忙,發現小朋友的數學水準懸殊極大。5、6歲的小孩,有的在掐著手指做10以內的加法,有的則已經在做兩位數的加減。

為何差別那麼大?通過與其他家長的交流,我發現原來大部分小朋友都在校外補習。不僅數學,補習英語拼音、英語寫作的也大有人在。

為什麼每月交6、7千的學費,大家卻還要再付幾千塊到校外補習?為什麼上國際學校卻還要補習英語?我能想到的第一個原因便是學校教的不夠。而兒子在英基3年多的經歷也證明這確實是原因之一。讀、寫與計算,應該是在小學階段必需打好的基礎,可是英基給我的感覺是這些基礎教學做得不夠。

首先,雖然算是半私校,英基卻是大班教學。從一年級到六年級,每個班級有30個小朋友。1-3年級除了班級老師外,每個班級還有一名助教,4-6年級則一個年級5個班共用一名助教。

這樣的班級規模,中高年級還可以接受,低年級就實在是太多人了。雖然老師一般會把30個人分成5個小組,以小組為單位進行學習,但我在當義工時看到的情況是,在短短的教學時間內,老師很難顧及到每個小組,所以大部分小組其實是跟著助教或媽媽義工在學。

我不知道助教有沒有教師資格,但曾經在學校網站上看到招聘助教,時薪100港元,並沒有要求有什麼資格。兒子上的這所學校的助教大多是印度人,英文的發音比較獨特,我不是很喜歡。這麼大的班級,根本不能期望老師能夠瞭解小朋友的個性因材施教。

其次,學校沒有教科書,幾乎沒有家庭作業,沒有考試。除了Inquiry主題的學習,讀、寫與計算等基礎知識的學習,非常不明了,不知道學校在教什麼,也不知道小朋友掌握的程度。

特別是數學,因為與主題的學習關聯性較少,根本不知道老師有沒有在教。換句話說,想在家裡幫小朋友補補課,都無從下手。

學校在學年結束時讓學生帶回他們在學校用過的所有練習本,很多本子都只是用了寥寥幾頁。記得兒子二年級結束時帶回來的數學本子,不僅只用了屈指可數的幾頁,每頁裡還只有10以內加減的少數幾題運算,詢問之下,說是老師讓他們自己給自己出題,然後自己解答。有家長說老師教數學是隨機的,想到什麼教什麼。這一點雖然無從考證,但學校確實給了我這種感覺。

閱讀方面,昨天提到老師有幫學生測閱讀等級,這本是很好的一個制度,但有些老師卻沒有定期幫學生測試,導致學生很長時間都停留在同一個閱讀水準。我兒子以及他身邊的幾個朋友都經歷過這種情況。

至於寫作,雖然在學校有很多寫的機會,但基本上屬於自由寫作,老師也沒有為每個小朋友批改。這種方式,在低年級時可以看到小朋友有很大進步,但到了3、4年級,各種缺點如語法錯誤、文章結構就顯露無遺。

和很多家長一樣,當我意識到了這些問題的存在後,我也開始讓兒子到校外補習數學和英文寫作。後來因為兒子不喜歡校外的補習,我開始到處買習題本在家讓他做。

我很慶倖自己及時發現問題,花了很多時間與不願做習題的兒子做鬥爭,所以當我們搬到美國後,兒子能夠跟上這邊的學習。

我們在香港時的一位美國鄰居,就沒有那麼幸運。這位鄰居的大兒子,和我兒子在同一所英基學校上了3、4年級和5年級的兩個學期。之後,他們搬回了美國,去年年底當我們在美國重逢時,這位美國媽媽告訴我,他兒子回到美國後,數學跟不上,老師需要幫他補課。這位媽媽無奈地說:快離開香港時才知道大家都在校外補習。

我的另外一位日本朋友,有一對子女也在同一所英基學校。他們課外在一所日語補習學校補習日本小學的各項課程,包括數學、科學等。去年,他們舉家搬到英國,大女兒成功考進了一所私立中學。事後,這位日本媽媽告訴我:還好有到日語補校補習,因為女兒說很多數學考題都是在補校學的,學校根本沒教過。

還有一位朋友的女兒則在入讀英基中學後開始到校外補習。這位朋友說,中學雖然有很多功課,但一樣沒有進行系統教學,因為自己已經教不了了,只好開始到校外補習。

據我所知,香港其他的一些國際學校,雖然也採用IB課程,但基礎教學還是抓得很緊。曾經聽過家長抱怨英基的老師是終身雇傭制,所以不夠敬業。也聽過來自英國的家長抱怨英基就是英國的公立學校。

以上我不知是否屬實,根據我的經歷,我只能說如果把小朋友送入英基的學校,家長要麼要有時間和能力自己教基礎知識,要麼要有財力送小朋友到校外補習。如果能做到這一點,那麼在香港英基算是一個不錯選擇。

另外,有些家長覺得小朋友比較內向、沒有自信,所以希望送小朋友進國際學校可以變得自信開朗一些。對這一點,我很難認同英基會是很好的選擇。除了前面提到英基是大班教學,老師很難顧及到每位小朋友這一點之外,兒子在英基3年多,我發現學校很少有需要在大家面前發表的口頭作業。

另外,Inquiry的學習有很多小組活動,每個人自由選擇自己的職責,我兒子也是比較沒有自信的人,所以通常都不會選擇演講。在這樣的環境裡,往往是原本外向自信的小朋友多機會發言而越來越自信,內向的小朋友則沒有太多的機會表現自己。除非碰到特別用心的老師,但是很遺憾雖然我每年都會和老師溝通,希望老師多鼓勵兒子發言,不過效果並不明顯。

45    0    3    1

2#
發表於 14-10-17 16:29 |只看該作者
回覆 wangdua0625 的帖子

英基現時仍有政府淮貼,學費比其他國際學校便宜,所以仍很受歡迎。   

3#
發表於 14-10-17 16:42 |只看該作者
If ESF is so bad? Why there are so many people still wait for the vacancy at their kindergarden/primary school/secondary school? Why there are so many " superstar " students in the public examination?

I am not quite understand? Please advise, thanks.

4#
發表於 14-10-17 16:46 |只看該作者

回覆:wangdua0625 的帖子

如果說補習風氣代表了英基,那也代表了其他國際學校。我聽到見到的例子不是這樣

5#
發表於 14-10-17 17:06 |只看該作者
如果這篇文章能够在國内廣傳,未嘗不是好事。

點評

jolalee    發表於 14-10-17 21:32

6#
發表於 14-10-17 18:19 |只看該作者

回覆:關於英基的質疑(來自英基家長)

請問有什麼本地ib 學校教得好又易入?vsa CKY 真道嗎? 我兒子k2 讀veo,選vsa是否正路選擇?

7#
發表於 14-10-17 18:32 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 14-10-17 18:35 編輯

依個世界好多時都係隔離飯香, 殊不知係你睇我好, 我睇你好.  事實係大把 selective schools 的老師一樣係差到嘔.  你見某些學校嘅成績特別標青, 查實咪又係因為有好多學生在校外補習嘅成果.  其實每個人對自己子女嘅要求都唔同, 學校亦無可能完全迎合每位家長嘅需要.  最好就係因應各人嘅需要, 自己作出安排.  如果覺得子女追唔上咪安排補習囉. 又或者想科科考第一咪考慮揾人補囉.  如果覺得成績無嘜所謂, 最緊要係讀得開心無壓力, 唔補亦都無問題.  最緊要係唔好以為每月比幾千元學費, 學校就會教導你的子女到達你心目中嘅水平, 因為你心目中唔達標嘅水平隨時係別人眼中超標嘅水平.  況且英基是 non-sective school, 同學之間嘅水平比selective school 的相差更大. 要 cater for 所有同學的需要難度亦更高.

8#
發表於 14-10-17 18:59 |只看該作者

回覆:iamadc 的帖子

Per my friend whose has two gals. Elder one in ESF from primary till secondary. Younger from a hot Private primary school and change to ESF at year 7. She said the English level of her elder is very high , can write very well. But the younger is obvious not. No tutorial until year 11 when the elder asks for maths subject.

9#
發表於 14-10-17 18:59 |只看該作者

回覆:bobbycheung 的帖子

Well said

10#
發表於 14-10-17 19:04 |只看該作者

回覆:bobbycheung 的帖子

Not long ago I read a passage about a mixed child schooling in Hk. He entered ESF for kinder then left for US after 2 years. Then he returned back after two years but esf didn't take him back as they said his English standard did not meet the basic requirement. The mom was frustrated and GSIS took him provided that she has to send him to extra tuition . Then the mom refused and got into another school ( forgot the name) . So everything have two sides.

11#
發表於 14-10-17 19:11 |只看該作者

引用:Per+my+friend+whose+has+two+gals.+Elder+

原帖由 lui 於 14-10-17 發表
Per my friend whose has two gals. Elder one in ESF from primary till secondary. Younger from a hot P ...
Nice sharing. It really depends on the individual student. Meanwhile can any existing ESF parents share more about the average rate of students having academic tuitions? The rate is extremely high among local schoolers.

12#
發表於 14-10-17 19:31 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 14-10-17 19:42 編輯

回覆 happyhealthymin 的帖子

這個有少許難度, 因為有D家長話仔女無補習, 但在補習社又撞到佢, 仲唔止係一間添.

點評

oooray  人地家長可能開補習社;仲係集團   發表於 14-10-20 09:42

13#
發表於 14-10-17 20:31 |只看該作者
回覆 wangdua0625 的帖子

I am a previous ESF parent. My kids (two) entered ESF kindergarden, primary school and middle school.
I think you misunderstand that ESF schools have high academic level and are eager to teach and push students.
On the opposite, they are quiet liberal and relaxing. My kids did enjoy very much in their childhood in ESF school.
Since I am a local Chinese, I am aware I need to give extra English supplement for my kids. Mandarin is poorly taught, so extra tuition is needed. ESF schools are popular among HK parents for various reasons. I summarise some points as following:

Advantages--English medium of teaching
                   --cheaper
                   --less homework
                   --better facilities
                   --IB course
                   --internationally mixed students

Disadvantages--non-selective (apart from English)
                       --higher turnover rate of teachers
                       --not academically focused
                       --many local parents with tradition strategy/studying method
                       --many students with special needs
                       --need to pay extra-curricular activities
                       --many bright students underachieve

My daughter realised the problems in year 7 and asked to go abroad. I discussed with her and monitored the school for one and finally agreed to let her go. I experienced some unhappiness when I found my daughter's school was not supportive. Same problem happened again when my son left the school.

Choosing ESF is the result of chid's character, parent's expectation, change in society and past school record.
No school is perfect. But I am sure ESF kindergarden and primary school are good for potential students.

點評

YauMum  Comments  發表於 14-10-21 19:11
YauMum  My ESF parents made similar co   發表於 14-10-21 19:10

14#
發表於 14-10-17 20:45 |只看該作者

引用:回覆+wangdua0625+的帖子 I+am+a+previous

原帖由 Choisumwong 於 14-10-17 發表
回覆 wangdua0625 的帖子

I am a previous ESF parent. My kids (two) entered ESF kindergarden, primary ...
Very nice personal sharing. Would you like to share more about which country you kids went and how the schools there differ from ESF? As parents we cannot go to try different schools, therefore other parents' experiences are very valuable.

15#
發表於 14-10-17 21:18 |只看該作者
happyhealthymin 發表於 14-10-17 19:11
Nice sharing. It really depends on the individual student. Meanwhile can any existing ESF parents sh …
My son's in year 12 and he's having one-on-one tutoring on Chinese since year 1. He used to do Kumon but has "graduated".
I don't have too much complaint about the school academically. My son's doing well in every subject. He took the iGCSE exam earlier this year and had pretty good result (3 A and 7 A*). He took the PSAT last year and scored 95 percentile. Considering the amount of homework he's had all these years and how much fun he's having at school, I am actually quite happy with what he has achieved academically so far. He might do better if I had pushed him harder with more extra tutoring but what's the point. I am not a tiger mom

16#
發表於 14-10-17 21:31 |只看該作者
回覆 happyhealthymin 的帖子

My kids went to UK. Their schools are academically selective . Compared with ESF, the main differences are following :

--personally more independent
--adequate P/E and game time
--more effective learning in class (teachers teach in more details)
--more discussion and exchange of idea in class
--teachers are highly qualifield
--well mixed international students
--many social clubs
--big music department and many shows and performance
--big sport field and better facilties
--teachers' comments are mostly constructive
--3 reports per year to assess progress
--adequate homework with better feedback
--less dependent on computer work
--classmates are mostly smart
--longer school time
--higher school fee
--feel better and close communication with parents
--emails are promptly replied

However, their schools need high self-discipline and high motivation. Not every student is suitable.

17#
發表於 14-10-17 22:00 |只看該作者
以上我不知是否屬實,根據我的經歷,我只能說如果把小朋友送入英基的學校,家長要麼要有時間和能力自己教基礎知識,要麼要有財力送小朋友到校外補習。如果能做到這一點,那麼在香港英基算是一個不錯選擇。-->呢句真係萬能key!

如果把小朋友送入cky學校,家長要麼要有時間和能力自己教基礎知識,要麼要有財力送小朋友到校外補習。如果能做到這一點,那麼cky算是一個不錯選擇。

或者

如果把小朋友送入FIS學校,家長要麼要有時間和能力自己教基礎知識,要麼要有財力送小朋友到校外補習。如果能做到這一點,那麼FIS算是一個不錯選擇。

18#
發表於 14-10-17 23:14 |只看該作者

引用:如果這篇文章能够在國内廣傳,未嘗不是好事

原帖由 Jane1983 於 14-10-17 發表
如果這篇文章能够在國内廣傳,未嘗不是好事。

點評

Jane1983    發表於 14-10-17 23:39

19#
發表於 14-10-17 23:35 |只看該作者

引用:2014-10-08+雲+教養女王雲是位溫婉的母親。

原帖由 wangdua0625 於 14-10-17 發表
2014-10-08 雲 教養女王

雲是位溫婉的母親。人如其名,她從中國到了日本,長居十年後到了香港,七年後再到 ...
各下孩子因英語能力略弱而缺自信?可告訴家裡家人跟孩子交談大部分時間用什麼語言?

英基可能比較適合喜 socialize 外向的小朋友就讀.  此外英文有基本要求.  英基學校有本地學生及非本地比例 (30% vs 70%, correct me if I am wrong, Private school 例外).  非本地生家庭很多是native speaker, 子女的英文自然是從家長學到很多.  As a native English speaker 學英文跟 as a foreigner 學英文相信不一樣.  

作者有她/他的道理, 英文程度沒有信心及沒有經濟能力外補的話, 要三思選校.

其他科目嗎?跟中學課程比較, 小學課程 is nothing, 小學嗎?語言丶社交丶多運動最重要.  語言範疇上細分也有 priority.  Reading, Oral are essential. Writing and compose 相對可遁序漸多.  年齡一到他們自然容易掌握.  小學嘛?學習也不應單從書本出發.  

懂教育的自然會明白, 相反不如讀本地學校.
不要因單單不願孩子接受填鴨而去讀國際學校.

20#
發表於 14-10-18 08:38 |只看該作者

引用:Quote:原帖由+wangdua0625+於+14-10-17+發

原帖由 naschkatze 於 14-10-17 發表
各下孩子因英語能力略弱而缺自信?可告訴家裡家人跟孩子交談大部分時間用什麼語言?

英基可能比較適合喜 s ...
Well said. That's why parents with local mindset tend to complain the teaching approach of international schools.

點評

Choisumwong  100% agree too ! But parents w   發表於 14-10-18 10:03
‹ 上一主題|下一主題