用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 ISF foundation year 180個位,難入嗎?
樓主: fatcni
go

ISF foundation year 180個位,難入嗎? [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 14-9-23 12:03 |只看該作者
Yes, I know you think it doesn't matter that much knowing the admission ratio (and maybe you are right). But as a parent, I can understand fatcni's anxiety. If this is the info he/she feels can help him/her in some way in the application process, he/she should just go ahead and ask the school!

22#
發表於 14-9-23 12:11 |只看該作者
回覆 sh00 的帖子

The answer is in post #5 and I will repeat it here: "The school has NEVER disclosed the number of applicants"  Stop being all righteous and judgmental about something you don't know!
今日佳句: 我以往也以為國際板的家長也有質素,但現在才知deal with 一些麻煩家長也不易!  

23#
發表於 14-9-23 12:20 |只看該作者

回覆:ISF foundation year 180個位,難入嗎?

Not sure if they would be more open about it this year, but this question was raised up everytime we attended the admission seminar,  the school did not want to disclose it.

however,  I personally don't think such figure  matters.  it's just an indication of the popularity of the school probably.

24#
發表於 14-9-23 12:22 |只看該作者
Depending on the source, there were about 1000-1500 applicants last year. If you exclude siblings and debenture holders, the would be about 15 competing for 1 space. As there are lots of LS kinder (many from reputable ones) students applying and spoken english is not a deciding factor, IS kinder students are not at an advantage at all.

Also, I heard quite a number of younger siblings who didn't get in (unlike the community school concept in ESF or many IS), so even if your elder kid get in, prepare for possible surprises for the younger ones.

Also, depending on how you define IS and LS, but if you define IS as something like ESF (non-selective, non-academic focused and casual atmosphere), ISF would not be like that, it may be more like LS instead. It is not for low performers. They would have a hard time.

點評

sh00  there you go! thank you!  發表於 14-9-23 12:26

25#
發表於 14-9-23 12:25 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 sh00 於 14-9-23 12:28 編輯

回覆 HKTHK 的帖子

Yes, the school never gave the info in the PAST. But never say never. Who knows, maybe the school will change its mind. Maybe you'll get the info from a staff because of a slip of the tongue. I'm not a very assertive person. But I'm willing to be more assertive for my kid! It won't hurt asking! Got to run now, chat later! Maybe through pm, I don't want to detract the thread!

26#
發表於 14-9-23 14:12 |只看該作者
fatcni 發表於 14-9-23 00:06
回覆 type409 的帖子

If u dun understand, u can just ignore my post, I am looking for someone who ha …
I didn't leave my comment "for you" for no reason.  I gave you my genuine advice and that is the attitude I have when I applied schools for my kids.

27#
發表於 14-9-24 11:26 |只看該作者
Chatted quickly with a friend last night. His son got an offer from ISF last year. The Admissions Office told them there were more than 600 hundred applicants competing for 180 seats last year. Hope this helps!

28#
發表於 14-9-24 11:41 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 HKTHK 於 14-9-24 11:41 編輯

回覆 sh00 的帖子

Stop spreading false messages.  The school's policy is not to disclose that figure.  And as a parent who was at the school for many of the days the interviews were being held, that figure could not possibly be correct.

29#
發表於 14-9-24 11:43 |只看該作者
回覆 sh00 的帖子

I know you feel the urge to justify your answer but this is just irresponsible

30#
發表於 14-9-24 12:02 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 sh00 於 14-9-24 12:20 編輯

Yes, HKTHK, I did feel bad about chiming in the discussion without knowing much of the school. That's why I asked someone who knew. His family has gone through the application process and his son got an offer. This number is exactly what the friend told me last night! If he is free tonight, I can ask him if he got this figure when his family chatted with some admissions official in an informal setting.

31#
發表於 14-9-24 13:22 |只看該作者
回覆 sh00 的帖子

I did not expect my friend could respond to my email so quickly. He is usually quite busy during the day. He said he got the figure when they chatted with the staff at school.

32#
發表於 14-9-24 13:55 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 HKTHK 於 14-9-24 14:03 編輯

回覆 sh00 的帖子

I did not expect your "friend" to  know this figure either. Out of all the parents, you just happen to email the one parent who knows this figure even though all other parents who have tried and asked before just weren't good enough to find out.  Let me just state that this is not a figure that the school has disclosed internally or externally, whether in casual conversation like morning coffee or evening get togethers or to admission volunteers or teachers.  I will just let others determine how credible this second or third hand hearsay is.  Will also let this thread rest now since I don't think this is going anywhere.

33#
發表於 14-9-24 14:25 |只看該作者
Sorry HKTHK, I also want to respond.
The number 600 sounds like a joke. Even back to the year in which I applied for my elder kid, I'm for very sure there were not only 600. Years ago, I heard from a teacher (my kid's ex-homeroom teacher) who was one of the interviewers  that the number of applicants of that year was a 4-digit number. But after all, the school never disclose the exact number. Even if you ask, they will only give you an estimation and say they actually have no idea because there are few batches of application. They won't merely fill up the spaces with the existing applicants if those applicants cannot pass the assessments. The school will call for another round.

34#
發表於 14-9-24 14:32 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 sh00 於 14-9-24 14:34 編輯

回覆 HKTHK 的帖子

I hope you don't mean I just made my friend up! If he and his wife read your reply, I am sure they will be very offended... no, just kidding. I know them well enough to say that they'll probably just laugh, at me mostly, for getting into this bicker. Anyway, I agree we should let this thread rest. I think I am just trying to help. Quite a few parents helped me when I asked for it (old IDs like annie40 and jolalee, some of your posts were helpful too). Sorry if it turns out I am not very helpful in the end. OK, I'll let this thread rest. Amen!
Cheers!

35#
發表於 14-9-24 16:54 |只看該作者
sh00 發表於 14-9-24 14:32
回覆 HKTHK 的帖子

I hope you don't mean I just made my friend up! If he and his wife read your repl ...

Change the figure to 6000, and then everyone will be happy.

點評

type409  sh00 actually said 600 hundred   發表於 14-9-24 21:31
HKTHK  Why so low?    發表於 14-9-24 18:59
sh00  You cracked me up! :)  發表於 14-9-24 18:10
Jane1983    發表於 14-9-24 17:46

36#
發表於 14-9-24 18:09 |只看該作者
Hey cheer up, not offensive at all, just wanna get some experience sharing n be supportive for all parents who are anxious for children's school admission.

Anyone of know what children are asked to do in the interview?! ISF has three round interviews and I believe they are looking for certain candidates. Even though it is too late to accommodate my child to fit their requirements, I still wanna know.
Thx anyways!

37#
發表於 14-9-24 18:12 |只看該作者
回覆 fatcni 的帖子

Oops, just realised I called an end to a thread I did not start. Sorry, fatcni! Your thread, your call. I did some searching of the old posts. You can just type in "ISF". Maybe these posts do not have the particular info you are looking for (admission ratio, etc..). But there are actually quite a number of good discussions about ISF's curriculum, student workload, mandarine program, university placement, etc. Many ISF parents shared their views and experiences on this forum. If you are thinking about applying, these posts should give you a very good sense of the school. Good luck!
For example, posts like this one is very informative:
http://www.edu-kingdom.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2745824&highlight=isf

38#
發表於 14-9-24 20:41 |只看該作者
hehe.. you are humorous. Like

39#
發表於 14-9-24 20:56 |只看該作者
出於好奇,又真系想知有多少申請者。

作為新手家長,想研究成功機会率有多少,又系好正常。

40#
發表於 14-9-24 21:52 |只看該作者
Why bother to revive a thread that has been subjected to abuse by irrational ISF haters?

Anyhow, having been a sufficiently long-time ISF parents (over 4 years), I guess I know the school better than some of the participants in this forum. Here is my two-cents’ worth.

ISF is very resourceful and stuffed with people who whole-heartedly care about education and promotion of, as the name of the school suggests, independence in thought and action. Name one school in Hong Kong that offers year-long programmes on Latin, works of Cierco and Plato, Greeks theatres and works of ancient Chinese philosophers; any schools in this place that spends months on and honestly look at the origin and aftermath of the so-called cultural revolution. Show me one school that regularly sends their students to Cambridge U to work there as Summer interns, and take the young historians and Latin students to Rome to have a crash course on Latin and ancient Roman history. Is ISF one of the best? Who cares? And what is your definition of the best? To me, ISF is good enough. Good enough is good enough is good enough. There is an old Chinese saying “如入寶山空手回”. Hand on my heart, I do think that ISF is a 寶山. The school is very resourceful and endeavours to make opportunities open to all students. It does not matter whether a particular student is a high-flyer or under-achiever. As long the student is willing to try and take on a task, he or she will have his/her chance. The sad thing is, as the Chinese saying goes, many people 入寶山 but空手回. (My guess is that ISF haters are among them.) And they blame the school for their leaving the 寶山 empty-handedly. I can only share my sympathy with them.

Many people accuse ISF of being not “international” enough. Nonsense. Apparently, to the less informed narrow-minded, Chinese and Asian cultures are not part of the international world. To them, a school stuffed with Caucasians is an “international” school; a school with yellow or brown-skinned is “local”. To me, a school with students who see the beauty of Tang poems as well as Jane Austen’s and Dostoyevsky’s work, appreciate the beauty of Erhu and Western violin pieces, are open to both the Israelis and Palestinian views over the conflict between Christianity and Islam is a truly “international” school. I have friends who have kids at one of the so-called “international” schools. Sadly, their kids refuse to speak Chinese (they are Chinese), hate anything Asian, despise anything Chinese and wholesomely dismiss anything non-Western. And you tell me they are more “international”? Come on, you must me kidding me.

點評

annie40  it matters.  發表於 14-9-24 23:45
annie40  Loving to see you love your sc   發表於 14-9-24 23:45
annie40  Thank you for sharing.  發表於 14-9-24 23:44
‹ 上一主題|下一主題