密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 有冇讀Montessori school家長
樓主: Jayelle
go

有冇讀Montessori school家長 [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 14-9-19 09:33 |只看該作者
Did anyone know are there any normal P.1 program provided in Central? if any, how much for monthly fee? Thanks a lot

點評

jolalee  up in DB soon :)  發表於 14-9-20 00:36
jolalee  primary, but DMS will set one    發表於 14-9-20 00:36
jolalee  So far only IMS has Montessori   發表於 14-9-20 00:36

22#
發表於 14-9-19 18:21 |只看該作者
IMS Informatio​n Session, September 25, 2014

Time:  11:00 am to 12:15 am (Session B)

Venue: The International Montessori School Stanley Campus,
Phase III, Ma Hang Estate, Stanley (off Stanley Plaza), Hong Kong
赤柱馬坑邨第三期 (赤柱廣場旁)

點評

jolalee  your child in IMS? how old?  發表於 14-9-20 00:37

23#
發表於 14-9-19 23:47 |只看該作者
fifipanda 發表於 14-9-11 13:19
I am looking for a Montessori school in Kowloon ...
I heard that Best Concept on the Kowloon side is pretty good. Mandarin run as well which is great.

24#
發表於 14-9-20 00:28 |只看該作者
Jayelle 發表於 14-9-4 21:54
分享下,我女剛返full time nursery,學校係casa dei bambini...
大家點喺屋企reinforce Montessori environment?姐姐偏縱我女,頭痛
I've visited casa dei bambini when i was pregnant with my son and yes, it was an impressive Montessori school and Joanna is an amazing lady. Would've joined if we live closer. We ended up choosing Discovery Montessori School in DB (since it's the closest one to us) and we had no regrets whatsoever (although my son is now older and has moved on). My friend's son had been in CDB before they move to BJ, and he developed quite well while he was there. Do take note that Joanna is quite Spartan in her approach, even to the parents, so do expect the occasional scold, "DON'T put a jacket on your daughter! Let her develop her immune system!" (This really happened, after the kid sneezed and a parent was putting a jacket on her) Depending on how a parent look at it, this could be good.

What are your plans after CDB? (which goes up to age 6) Would you consider IMS as a continuation of the Montessori education, or will you opt for mainstream IS? How's the Mandarin program in CDB? (During my time i heard she was hiring Mandarin teachers)

My son was basically Montessori bred until recently when we switched back to mainstream. We still hang the towels where he could reach it and expect him to wash up, dress up and somewhat make the bed himself at age 3.5 (recently he can button his own shirt). He pour his own juice and put his (breakable) dishes away himself after every meal since age 2.5, and recently made (very loose) sushi [cut the cucumber, spread the rice on the seaweed, rolled it up and cut the sushi roll with a real knife] (not yet age 4).

For my helper, i always emphasized two key points:
1. Do not do anything for him which he can (more or less) do himself.
2. If she missed doing something, she can always go back to doing it (say cleaning a table); but if you over do something, there is no turning back!! (cleaned the table when the kids was supposed to clean up their own mess; it'd be ridiculous to mess up the table again so that the kid can clean it, and that won't be his own mess anymore anyhow)

Let your helper know you understand it is faster and easier for the grown up to it themselves, and appreciate that it is a much harder job by letting/training the child to be independent. (Many helpers are afraid that if they don't do everything for the child then they are not doing their job) Compliment HER as well when the child can finally do something independently (my helper let my son button his own shirt and actually made it into a game too! I beamed at her and said great job! to them both).

My helper was not always like this though. When my son was two years old, my husband and i took at 4-day trip away to celebrate our big anniversary. When i returned (after JUST 4 days), he suddenly could not feed himself or put on his own shoes (which he previously was able to do independently). I find that it is much harder to train a helper than a child, but if that turns out to be successful (after many repetition, reassessment, communication, strategies), the benefit is immense for the family. Of course, you must decide first if the helper is trainable in that sense, and if you are willing to put in that effort. All in all, this is possible, so keep at it and good luck with your existing / new helper!!

25#
發表於 14-9-22 13:28 |只看該作者
jolalee 發表於 14-9-20 00:28
I've visited casa dei bambini when i was pregnant with my son and yes, it was an impressive Montesso ...
i would like ask for your or other parents' perception of the difference between mainstresm IS and montessori IS. For me I find the followings: 1) mainstream IS has more group activities. 2) mainstream IS has a relatively more structured schedule. e.g. free play at 9am, circle time at 9:30, guided play at 10, snack time at 10:30, etc. whereas montessori students are expected to choose their own work and work on their own as long as they want. teachers lead the whole clasd less often. 3) montessori emphasizes independence, self motivation, life long learner. most of the mainstream IS pursuit the same missions and students turn out to be like that. 4) montessori uses specificmaterials to teach academic things. mainstream IS follow different cirrirulums and can achieve the same academic standar. 5) montessori is well know for his attention training beacuse the students are expected to engage in a task for a period of time. but for a normally developing child attention does not need special training. 6) montessori pretend play is not encouraged. it requires a kid to manipulate a certain item is a certain strict way. does not encourage imagination. mainstream IS greatly encourages pretend play which is a very important developmental milestone. 7) most mainstream IS offer a variety of after school activities including sports and music teams. IMS the most established montessori school in HK offersvery limited after school activities.

26#
發表於 14-9-22 18:01 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 14-9-23 08:01 編輯

回覆 happyhealthymin 的帖子
[sorry about the previous large font size; just switched to a new phone. no idea why it did it...]

You have some good insights in comparing the systems. Here's my take on the points you made above:

1) yes, Montessori has more individual 'work' time, much like how most grown ups work (at least used to work before we are so connected)

2) Montessori KG students has up to 3 hours of uninterrupted work slots. They take their own snack break as the child see fit, and continue to work afterwards. Montessori research has shown that students would experience a long period of constructive concentration thereafter, and learn a lot in the process. The teacher would go around the class and direct the students in accordance to what benefits the individual child.

3) Montessori emphasizes independence, self motivation, life long learner. The IB program pursuit similar missions, using methods based on the latest research on child development.

4) every education system uses slightly different methods: Montessori has more physically constructed materials/tools catered for early childhood, UK and traditional mainstream schools rely more on textbooks whereas IB do away with text book and has a much more fluid (and often hard to track) approach. In the end, all IS produce independent open-minded kids.  

5) "for a normally developing child attention does not need special training". I must disagree with you on that. What children do on a regular basis does effect their neural & habitual development, otherwise the American pediatric society would not recommend kids under age2 should have 0hour of daily screen time, and that experts advise limited TV exposure for children under age 5. Part of the reason for such warnings are due to young kids who watch a lot of TV does have a lower concentration span (amongst other things). Children who are allowed to work without interruptions every 1/2 hour would probably learn to solve problems on their own, stay focused, amongst other benefits.

6) "In Montessori pretend play is not encouraged". I think this is true, and played an interesting role when I picked Montessori education for my boy. Like me, my son turned out to be quite a creative kid with a huge imagination. What Montessori lacked we more than made up after class with our crazy pretend plays & wacky inventions. After I switched him over to a through-train school, which happens to be full-IB, he was likes fish in water. I miss the stronger discipline & serious learning back then though (in Montessori he learned words like "primary & secondary colors", now in IB he learned "jolly & groovy". sigh!)

7) "IMS the most established Montessori school in HK offers very limited after school activities." This is probably due to the lack of space IMS previously experienced. With their new Stanley campus I am sure this will change.

Although many families like mine and yours end up going mainstream after a short stay at Montessori, we must not undermine its effectiveness and uniqueness in early childhood development. It is no coincidence that the Montessori method withstood the test of time and continues to thrive for over a century ;) There are methods and ideals that Montessori held onto which cannot be replaced in mainstream schools, even IB. In certain ways i find IB & Montessori are similar, esp in philosophy, but in execution they are the complete opposite.

27#
發表於 14-9-22 21:16 |只看該作者

Here is a clip of Tim Seldin, President of the Montessori Foundation. He explains Montessiori education in a bigger picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW7JgQHHVJc

28#
發表於 14-9-22 21:48 |只看該作者

引用:Here+is+a+clip+of+Tim+Seldin,+President+

原帖由 GabGabGab 於 14-09-22 發表
Here is a clip of Tim Seldin, President of the Montessori Foundation. He explains Montessiori educa ...
I also watched it before. The philosophy sounds attractive.

29#
發表於 14-9-23 21:43 |只看該作者

引用:+本帖最後由+jolalee+於+14-9-23+08:01+編

原帖由 jolalee 於 14-09-22 發表
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 14-9-23 08:01 編輯

回覆 happyhealthymin 的帖子
Hi. Jola. Could you elaborate more on the complete different execuations of the similar philosophies between IB and montessori? My experience with IB is very limited. Thnks

30#
發表於 14-9-23 23:57 |只看該作者
回覆 happyhealthymin 的帖子

Both systems strive for independence and self-driven learning. IB also teach individual child in accordance to their own development, much like montessori; at least this is what the school said in terms of the IB approach. In practice, IB has a lot more group interactions and verbal communication. I'd say Montessori is suitable for a kinesitic learner and IB an audio learner (which my son definitely is). Traditional schools (including UK & LS) systems, caters better for visual learners. (You can google on learner type in regards to which category you child falls under).
IB (during early childhood) is play based and they would use a variety of materials to do so. It is so fluid that it can differ greatly from school to school and even teacher to teacher. Montessori, on the other hand uses the same material and methodology throughout, that two classrooms on the opposite ends of the globe can look very similar. (That's why expats who has to move around a lot from country to country prefer montessori; their kids can jump right back in without missing a beat). Anyhow, both systems do have similar end goal in mind; it is a matter of approach,but methodology can often shape a person's habits and even character.

31#
發表於 14-9-24 03:09 |只看該作者
May I know the chance of entering in IMS primary program? Many thanks!!

32#
發表於 14-9-24 10:02 |只看該作者
回覆 himmamme 的帖子

I think it depends on how much Montessori exposure the child has previously. Since Montessori is most suitable for kids age 3-6, there area number of IMS students moving onto main stream IS by primary, there's be sufficient openings to be filled by Montessori KG students around Hong Kong.
However, if the child cannot pass their interview, I don't think the school would accept the child.

33#
發表於 14-9-24 14:37 |只看該作者
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

Thanks! My kids doesn't have montessori background.

If the chance is too slim, I may not try then.

BTW, no info about the school fee mentioned on their website.??

34#
發表於 14-9-24 20:04 |只看該作者
http://www.edu-kingdom.com/forum ... 0&highlight=IMS

35#
發表於 14-9-29 21:30 |只看該作者
回覆 Jayelle 的帖子

I was notified that you posted, but I do not see you post. How strange!

冬日勳章

36#
發表於 14-10-2 19:06 |只看該作者

引用:回覆+Jayelle+的帖子 I+was+notified+that

原帖由 jolalee 於 14-09-29 發表
回覆 Jayelle 的帖子

I was notified that you posted, but I do not see you post. How strange!
I cannot see my own posts too

點評

jolalee  Can you post again?  發表於 14-10-3 01:28

37#
發表於 14-10-22 13:50 |只看該作者
Hey all

there is a montessori at home hk group on fb, which is form by group of mom some are certified. we can share ideas and experience on that platform. Pls pm me your email if you want to be added.

38#
發表於 14-10-22 15:37 |只看該作者

回覆:himmamme 的帖子

No worry my friend's gal didn't hv that background still got an offer from IMs last year.

點評

jolalee  for which grade?  發表於 14-10-22 19:04

39#
發表於 14-10-24 15:14 |只看該作者
lui 發表於 14-10-22 15:37
No worry my friend's gal didn't hv that background still got an offer from IMs last year.
She is now 5 years old. She took the offer with CAIS and started school this Sept.

40#
發表於 14-11-8 17:51 |只看該作者

回覆:jolalee 的帖子

Hi jolalee,
As u mentioned Montessori is most suitable for aged 3-6, is this the reason most Montessori student continue their primary education in IS rather staying in Montessori primary ? Understand there is only one Montessori school provide primary education in HK, space is limited . Is there any paper or journal to analysis how Montessori approach affect students above aged 6, how does it different from IB system in higher level of study?

‹ 上一主題|下一主題